• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Kinda, but I do think there's currently plans. The Job Listing specifically requested Live Action Knowledge, which HEAVILY Suggests that this is a General Direct. Something is coming, and considering amiibo Theory I do think it's probably a General with Smash Info.
Isn’t Live Action kinda risky at this point tho considering the uhhh... pandemic?

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
A month gap between reveal and release with the amiibo patch seems too much. I don't think that this month we'll see something, March seems a logical choice but... You know, Ultimate is full of surprises.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
A month gap between reveal and release with the amiibo patch seems too much. I don't think that this month we'll see something, March seems a logical choice but... You know, Ultimate is full of surprises.
True, but then again, making the Gap bigger and purposefully not showing a Gimmick in a Trailer would be great marketing on Nintendo's Part, especially if it's a First Party. It drums up Mystery, and thus hype for the Upcoming Fighter. It would be a great way to keep yourself unpredictable while also working as a Marketing Tactic.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Kinda, but I do think there's currently plans. The Job Listing specifically requested Live Action Knowledge, which HEAVILY Suggests that this is a General Direct. Something is coming, and considering amiibo Theory I do think it's probably a General with Smash Info.
Thats fair, though the fact the job has yet to be filled makes me lean more towards March than anything.
Thought I'd share this
Does this mean Sonic is also gonna get a dark counterpart using an already established power thats gonna become a recurring character?
...Wait
DCA545D3-E632-4297-B4AB-A18767D94528.png

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
OK normally I don't care about censor dodging images but...ew.
The word ass isn't censored.

I don't know how to spoiler images sorry.
To spoiler-tag images, type spoiler and /spoiler with square brackets [ and ] around it. I edited spoiler tags into your post, so you can check that with Edit to see how it works.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
A month gap between reveal and release with the amiibo patch seems too much.
A month? After the wait between Byleth and Min Min, and then Min Min and Steve, a month seems like too much?

It doesn't even have to be a full month. It can be between mid-February and early March.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
After doing some quick research, I've learned she's actually shorter than Villager in Ultimate.
I somehow never realized Villager's proportions were altered for Smash. Compared to Animal Crossing/WW/City Folk, he's got a much bigger torso. My mistake then.
Since character heights are mostly intuited you could still be right though. Perhaps it would make sense for the new Villager designs to be taller due to the proportion change, and Isabelle would follow suit to match the relative height of Villager. Thinking about it...I can't really picture them being any smaller than Mario, but then again maybe I'd just need to physically see it first.

I don't know how to spoiler images sorry.
Its on the Insert tab next to Smilies.

The word ass isn't censored.
I forgot. Sorry.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Since character heights are mostly intuited could still be right though. Perhaps it would make sense for the new Villager designs to be taller due to the proportion change, and Isabelle would follow suit to match the relative height of Villager. Thinking about it...I can't really picture them being any smaller than Mario, but then again maybe I'd just need to physically see it first.

Its on the Insert tab next to Smilies.
Cool thanks I will do that next time.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If we get Nintendo related stuff in February I suspect it'll be a Partner Showcase, one or two twitter drops, and possibly a Zelda direct given it is the series 35th anniversary this month.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Isn’t Live Action kinda risky at this point tho considering the uhhh... pandemic?
Filming for Thor 4 has already begun and that's for a movie in one of the largest media franchises ever. That's pretty big and has got a whole cast and they seem to be doing fine. With all safety protocols enacted, I think filming shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think I heard he said it would "look weird" for Dark Pit to use the 3 sacred treasures.

that's why he wasn't an alt.

as if it isn't weird for Alph to pilot Olimar's ship.
Tbf there's evidence that suggests Alph was planned to be a clone but time constraints and balance issues put a stop to that with the whole Rock Pikmin thing

JustPlainDan

Smash Apprentice
oh that also reminds me

add one additional rep to each third party already represented.

mine (italics are my additions):
Konami: Snake, Simon, Richter, Raiden
Sega: Sonic, Bayonetta, Joker, Arle
Capcom: Mega Man, Ryu, Ken, Phoenix
Bandai Namco: PAC-MAN, KOS-MOS
Square Enix: Cloud, Hero, Sephiroth, Neku
SNK: Terry, Mai (albeit censored)
Microsoft: Banjo, Steve, Ori
Konami: Alucard
Sega: Dr. Eggman
Capcom: .....do I really need to say it?
Bandai Namco: Kazuya Mishima
Square Enix: Sora
SNK: Mai
Microsoft: Conker

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
if there is a partner showcase I expect the Crash 4 port to show up there

and maybe just maybe the Switch port of LoL Wild Rift and/or more info on CONV/RGENCE and/or The Ruined King

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Thought I'd share this
i hope it's got the same hilarious meme-worthy writing as the Boom cartoon. i just rewatched a compilation of the funniest moments and damn i miss it so much

****ing CN... TTG was too important so they yeeted the Boom cartoon to Boomerang, aka where promising CN shows go to die.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
i hope it's got the same hilarious meme-worthy writing as the Boom cartoon. i just rewatched a compilation of the funniest moments and damn i miss it so much

****ing CN... TTG was too important so they yeeted the Boom cartoon to Boomerang, aka where promising CN shows go to die.
Idk I'd prefer if the writing wasn't like Boom but rather actually good with solid characterization for more than 2 characters, never liked how that show handled Sonic and Knuckles or the focus on "haha funny meme Sonic fans remember this meme?" One episode being dedicated to "haha transphobia" doesn't exactly fly for me either

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

Boomerang still exists? I remember watching the 50s Scooby Doo episodes on that thing when I was 4.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Idk I'd prefer if the writing wasn't like Boom but rather actually good with solid characterization for more than 2 characters, never liked how that show handled Sonic and Knuckles or the focus on "haha funny meme Sonic fans remember this meme?" One episode being dedicated to "haha transphobia" doesn't exactly fly for me either
Hold on, the what now?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Boomerang still exists? I remember watching the 50s Scooby Doo episodes on that thing when I was 4.
Yeah, I thought Boomerang was specifically for old stuff. Y'know, 'cause it's coming back. Like a boomerang.
it's now limited to cable packages most people don't have and/or can't pay for now

anyway

given the pandemic i still think we'll have uploaded minis. OR we could still have a full direct, but it'll be uploaded, not streamed.

...were any full directs EVER directly uploaded as opposed to streamed?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Boom's writing was fun because it was a sitcom with Sonic characters. If you were looking for explorative examinations of the cast, it was the wrong show, but it did have some enjoyable characterizations like Amy's (giving her an actual personality beyond loving Sonic) and did manage to give the spotlight to various figures at point.

It helped that original characters like Sticks and many of the village cast were actually benefits to the show rather than detriments (which is more than can be said for the likes of Underground and Sonic X).

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
given the pandemic i still think we'll have uploaded minis. OR we could still have a full direct, but it'll be uploaded, not streamed.

...were any full directs EVER directly uploaded as opposed to streamed?
I think there may have been one for the Wii U era. But I don’t think Nintendo has done any Switch Directs like that.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Hold on, the what now?
Mark_the_tapir_profile.png

This entire character is a parody of Chris Chan. He's completely obsessed with Sonic and the writers even made a joke about him wanting Sonic's arms to not be blue, with Sonic being incredibly uncomfortable with him.

Chris Chan's a transwoman and I don't think here being an awful person means she should be addressed as a man as a lololol funny meme moment

osby

Smash Obsessed
Boom's writing was fun because it was a sitcom with Sonic characters. If you were looking for explorative examinations of the cast, it was the wrong show, but it did have some enjoyable characterizations like Amy's (giving her an actual personality beyond loving Sonic) and did manage to give the spotlight to various figures at point.
Amy already has a personality in the games. Scrapping that and making her a strawman to feminism is the exact opposite of enjoyable characterization for me and a big reason why I'm glad the show got cancelled. The whole thing felt like it was pandering to fans who couldn't care less about Sonic's writing and only like it because of memes.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
View attachment 301449
This entire character is a parody of Chris Chan. He's completely obsessed with Sonic and the writers even made a joke about him wanting Sonic's arms to not be blue, with Sonic being incredibly uncomfortable with him.

Chris Chan's a transwoman and I don't think here being an awful person means she should be addressed as a man as a lololol funny meme moment
I thought that episode was meant to parody that one Stephen King book.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I do think its worth noting that the character of Mark the Tapir in that Boom episode has been officially said by the writers to be a general parody of fandom rather than one specific person. Even if you don't believe them, a malicious motive on their part is still based on the assumption that they had any knowledge of Christine Chandler beyond surface level infamy like the Blue Arms rant. That they were deliberately midgendering a strawman version of CWC seems like a stretch.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
View attachment 301449

Ah
Chris-chan
So that's why

Hope I don't come off as that guy, but were the writers aware of them transitioning or did they just know about them as "The archetypal loony fan?" Not to downplay any actual instances of actual transphobia, I just want to make sure I have the full context before I come to any definite conclusions.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
View attachment 301449

It seems like “Mark the Tapir” is supposed to be a reference to toxic fanbases in general. Not Christine specifically. The only overt reference to her is the arm color thing. The character Mark seems to take from most is Annie Wilks from Stephen Kings Misery.
B2B1A8AA-2889-4DE3-A323-E13D73946CAF.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom