• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Yeah like what LSA said above, that character was really meant to be more of a parody of the general Sonic fandom.

Like IIRC it's not like Chris Chan was the only person complaining about Sonic having blue arms lol

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Amy already has a personality in the games. Scrapping that and making her a strawman to feminism is the exact opposite of enjoyable characterization for me and a big reason why I'm glad the show got cancelled. The whole thing felt like it was pandering to fans who couldn't care less about Sonic's writing and only like it because of memes.
Well I mean all the main cast had flaws. Sonic's excessively cocky or lazy, Tails is a bit of an absent minded inventor about his machines, Sticks is a paranoid loon, and Knuckles a total meathead. Amy's defining personality isn't even really based on feminism as much as it is being a compassionate and helpful crusader who's also prone to being a self righteous know it all at times.

At the very worst they were not making her come off as any less flattering anyone else barring maybe Tails.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ah
Chris-chan
So that's why

Hope I don't come off as that guy, but were the writers aware of them transitioning or did they just know about them as "The archetypal loony fan?" Not to downplay any actual instances of actual transphobia, I just want to make sure I have the full context before I come to any definite conclusions.
I highly doubt they were unaware of that considering she had already transitioned before the blue arms thing they referenced.
I do think its worth noting that the character of Mark the Tapir in that Boom episode has been officially said by the writers to be a general parody of fandom rather than one specific person. Even if you don't believe them, a malicious motive on their part is still based on the assumption that they had any knowledge of Christine Chandler beyond surface level infamy like the Blue Arms rant. That they were deliberately midgendering a strawman version of CWC seems like a stretch.
idk, the show's been perfectly fine with introducing multiple characters for one off episodes so if Mark was meant to be joking about the overall fanbase, then there should be other characters besides just Mark

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
A month? After the wait between Byleth and Min Min, and then Min Min and Steve, a month seems like too much?

It doesn't even have to be a full month. It can be between mid-February and early March.
I'm not talking about gaps between different characters, I'm talking about the gaps between the reveal and the release of the very same fighter to play with it, a time frame that usually is not longer than 2 weeks, at least with 2nd pass. Amiibos arrive at the end of March, their patch and probably the fighter will arrive sooner.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I highly doubt they were unaware of that considering she had already transitioned before the blue arms thing they referenced.
idk, the show's been perfectly fine with introducing multiple characters for one off episodes so if Mark was meant to be joking about the overall fanbase, then there should be other characters besides just Mark
It might have been a case of perceived writing efficiency where specific jokes about fandom leant themselves to Mark in the one episode whereas more generalized remarks were simply easier to spread out over the course of the series:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Did a quick search, seems like the episode was mainly a parody of Stephen King's Misery, which is about a loony, psychotic fan. Since it's Sonic, they also slipped in a couple nods to the fandom, like SonAmy, not family-friendly fanfics, and Sonic's blue arms. The latter seems like the only Chris-chan reference, and he's just a Sonic-ified version of Anne Wilkes.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
About Directs, I could see a General Direct happening down the line. After Bowser's Fury there's literally 0 Nintendo games with an official 2021 date besides Pokémon Snap. Of course they could shadowdrop trailers on Twitter like they did during 2020, but we're at the beginning of the year and I could see them making an "effort" to have a bigger Direct than the ones we got with the Partner Showcases.

And well, it's not like they have been super productive in the last year and a half. Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Xenoblade DE or Bowser's Fury are ports with some new content, Age of Calamity was made by Koei Tecmo, Origami King was developed by Intelligent Systems... I guess they have been working on some new things and maybe we could see something about their new work this year.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
About Directs, I could see a General Direct happening down the line. After Bowser's Fury there's literally 0 Nintendo games with an official 2021 date besides Pokémon Snap. Of course they could shadowdrop trailers on Twitter like they did during 2020, but we're at the beginning of the year and I could see them making an "effort" to have a bigger Direct than the ones we got with the Partner Showcases.

And well, it's not like they have been super productive in the last year and a half. Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Xenoblade DE or Bowser's Fury are ports with some new content, Age of Calamity was made by Koei Tecmo, Origami King was developed by Intelligent Systems... I guess they have been working on some new things and maybe we could see something about their new work this year.
We also had TMS Encore last year, another port

at this point the only port I’ll accept (AND actively want) is Xenoblade X DE. Where’s BOTW2? Where’s that rumored Splatoon spinoff? Where’s Bayonetta 3 - oh oops crap...

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
This probably has been discussed a lot before, but I'm curious. Who is the most obscure/least discussed character that you want? In other words, who is your pipe dream want?

For me, it's my man Crypto.

Destroy All Humans! - How to Change Skin

He can summon meteors, throw people around with psychokinesis, has a weapon that is effectively a grenade launcher that ionizes humans and blows stuff up, he can summon an underground beast and a venus human trap, has a gun that shoots rainbows balls that pick people and objects up and bounces them around the place while dealing damage, and can combine objects into a ball and throw it.

Oh yeah, he also has a flying saucer of death and sounds like Jack Nicholson. What's not to love?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
This probably has been discussed a lot before, but I'm curious. Who is the most obscure/least discussed character that you want? In other words, who is your pipe dream want?

He can summon meteors, throw people around with psychokinesis, has a weapon that is effectively a grenade launcher that ionizes humans and blows stuff up, he can summon an underground beast and a venus human trap, has a gun that shoots rainbows balls that pick people and objects up and bounces them around the place while dealing damage, and can combine objects into a ball and throw it.

Oh yeah, he also has a flying saucer of death and sounds like Jack Nicholson. What's not to love?
Is this the part where I talk about Billy Hatcher again?

Otoad64

Smash Lord

red2.png

I'm not kidding.

he could use abilities from some of the other birds, as well as some of the power-ups. the slingshot too of course

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I don't know anything about him but go on. What cool things can he do?
Okay, so the main gimmick of his game (Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg) is the ability to use eggs for pretty much everything. Without one, you're pretty much useless. The eggs can help with attacking, platforming, and even puzzle solving. Plus, if you manage to hatch the eggs, you can gain various benefits, from Egg Animals that you can use to attack to items that give you elemental boosts. I think he'd be pretty fun to play if they incorporate it right.

Plus, the music:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
as in, how he would move?

or how he would attack?

or both?
Both. Like is there a game where he is able to move around freely? Because otherwise I don't see how Red could move in a way that controls fine and his moveset would be limited. But if you got answers then feel free to inform me.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Both. Like is there a game where he is able to move around freely? Because otherwise I don't see how Red could move in a way that controls fine and his moveset would be limited. But if you got answers then feel free to inform me.
well, I was thinking he would hop, like he does in some of the animated shorts and I think a couple of the games

as for how he attacks, besides the stuff I mentioned, he would mainly use his beak for normals, maybe his tail for a couple of moves

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

First off, Yes. Crypto would be amazing. So much yes.
If we’re talking stuff that is by no means legible for Smash. Red gets my vote.
059B7EAD-673A-4BFA-9619-A7C6A375EF64.png

I think his multiple forms and giant firebreath would make for a cool moveset. I also just really like the design.

Hes off the table for a myriad of reasons. But I can dream.

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
View attachment 301452
I'm not kidding.

he could use abilities from some of the other birds, as well as some of the power-ups. the slingshot too of course
Apparently the Angry Birds have been given wings and legs in several spinoffs. I think they're based on the models used in the movies, and Cloud and Sephiroth have established that movie appearances are fair game, so I think that would be the ideal way of including him.
And for his more iconic form, it could kinda work like Pac-Man with certain attacks. He could quickly become b a l l , then turn back to normal when the attack ends.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

...would Gunvolt count?

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Apparently the Angry Birds have been given wings and legs in several spinoffs. I think they're based on the models used in the movies, and Cloud and Sephiroth have established that movie appearances are fair game, so I think that would be the ideal way of including him.
And for his more iconic form, it could kinda work like Pac-Man with certain attacks. He could quickly become b a l l , then turn back to normal when the attack ends.
no, I don't want him to be the movie version.

putting in that version would be like putting in ghostly adventures pac-man

it's not like it would be hard to do the classic version

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Filming for Thor 4 has already begun and that's for a movie in one of the largest media franchises ever. That's pretty big and has got a whole cast and they seem to be doing fine. With all safety protocols enacted, I think filming shouldn't be too much of an issue.
That's in the New Zealand though, they don't have the virus anymore.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Amy already has a personality in the games. Scrapping that and making her a strawman to feminism is the exact opposite of enjoyable characterization for me and a big reason why I'm glad the show got cancelled. The whole thing felt like it was pandering to fans who couldn't care less about Sonic's writing and only like it because of memes.
Which is why Knuckles' clap back was the best thing about that scene

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Isn't it fairly common to represent a fanbase (or group of fans) with a single character? Well...as common as representing the fanbase at all is?

no, I don't want him to be the movie version.

putting in that version would be like putting in ghostly adventures pac-man

it's not like it would be hard to do the classic version
Yeah I'd rather they just have him use the slingshot as a weapon or something in the absence of actual limbs.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Regardless of whether one treats "icon" status as a prerequisite for Smash, you still end up with the unsolvable predicament of trying to quantify something so subjective. No amount of discussion of sales data, adaptations, cross-references, or cultural allusions will ever leave everyone with a satisfactory answer. One person's icon is another person's "literally who?" and no attempt at definition will resolve that.
icons are set by individuals it's really a collective. and I'm really curious what character you can show as an example that people validly asked "Who is that?" and it was a videogame icon character. The only two i can think of is terry (to which smash fans were immediately called out in videos and twitter) and Hero (which is still embarrassing people didn't know who that was)

if we are going to treat icon as a requirement to get into smash the characters that are getting removed are mostly Nintendo characters.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Okay, so the main gimmick of his game (Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg) is the ability to use eggs for pretty much everything. Without one, you're pretty much useless. The eggs can help with attacking, platforming, and even puzzle solving. Plus, if you manage to hatch the eggs, you can gain various benefits, from Egg Animals that you can use to attack to items that give you elemental boosts. I think he'd be pretty fun to play if they incorporate it right.

Plus, the music:
Yoo Bang! Bang! Big Hornes Explosion and Lets Go Easy are my jams

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
No offense but when it comes to opinions on video games, I'm kinda more inclined to believe the director of a multi-million selling franchise over a random user on online message boards who thinks "because I say so" is a compelling argument.
furthermore, we have literally seen Sakurai living room and he had multiple game systems and when interviewed says he plays almost all major games

meanwhile, people here brag that they dont step outside the Nintendo bubble yet insist certain characters arent as big as others tell them.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Yeah I'd rather they just have him use the slingshot as a weapon or something in the absence of actual limbs.
no, you guys don't understand

red doesn't need limbs, and we don't even need to take any real creative liberties like giving him a slingshot as a weapon or anything.

all he needs is his beak, tail, power-ups and other birds. Lacking arms is hardly something that needs much of a work around

Pillow

Smash Lord

For me it would be the Saint's Row Playa. The source material is definitely an issue, as the game's humor is pretty crude, but it's a pipe dream want so whatever. He doesn't even need to use modern guns as he has lots of silly weapons to pick from, wrestling/brawler moves, and superpowers from IV.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
...would Gunvolt count?
I'm pretty sure Gunvolt is a video game series first and foremost so yes it counts for this discussion. Unless if it had something like a Manga before the game. IDK I skimmed through the wikipedia page but other than that I don't know anything about Gunvolt.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I LOVE billy hatcher to death. Played it all the time until the disk would start giving errors. If only billy hatcher 2 exsisted
Trust me, at this point I just want Sega to acknowledge the game EXISTS. I don't care if it's in another one of their "Sega franchise crossover mobile games" like Sega Heroes or whatever it was called. I'M DESPERATE!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm pretty sure Gunvolt is a video game series first and foremost so yes it counts for this discussion. Unless if it had something like a Manga before the game. IDK I skimmed through the wikipedia page but other than that I don't know anything about Gunvolt.
i'd be content with a Gunvolt Spirit and/or Mii, anything to get representation in Smash

but him being fully playable and coming with those banger songs would make me POG

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom