• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

OffBrandANON

Smash Cadet
ok, then i predict the next 3 fighters will metal mario, a marth echo, and raichu.
i mean, if we're gonna base it off of some unevidenced assumption of them spending the entire pre-planned 6 character budget on two of the characters, those might as well be our predictions.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
ok, then i predict the next 3 fighters will metal mario, a marth echo, and raichu.
i mean, if we're gonna base it off of some unevidenced assumption of them spending the entire pre-planned 6 character budget on two of the characters, those might as well be our predictions.
I don't necessarily mean "the budget is now so low that they have to make the last 3 fighters echoes", I mean that Steve and Sephiroth were so expensive to license that the next 3 fighters will have to be cheaper to acquire.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't necessarily mean "the budget is now so low that they have to make the last 3 fighters echoes", I mean that Steve and Sephiroth were so expensive to license that the next 3 fighters will have to be cheaper to acquire.
Are you suggesting... first parties and/or more “low key” third parties...?

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Steve wasn't even that expensive to acquire, because of how Minecraft was negotiated for Five Years, likely with licensing already paid for much earlier in development. Sephiroth on the other hand.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Don’t even think about it. Everyone must meet the same standard as Hero/Banjo/Steve/Sephiroth or they’re a waste of a slot!

(This is obviously a joke.)
I'll be honest, I understand some people thinking the E3 reveal HAS to be big because of :4megaman:/:4pacman:/:4ryu:/Everyone Is Here/:ultridley:/:ulthero:/:ultbanjokazooie:/probably :ultsteve:.

But Palutena was also an E3 reveal, and Pac-Man took a back seat to her, by having his trailer be revealed in private hours after the show and be something that was cheaper to produce.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
But Palutena was also an E3 reveal, and Pac-Man took a back seat to her, by having his trailer be revealed in private hours after the show and be something that was cheaper to produce.
That was literally one example from nearly seven years ago, back when Nintendo's marketing was completely wack during the Wii U era.

And them revealing Mii Fighters and Palu in the same Direct was just them fully revealing the character customization feature and getting it out of the way to update the website and stuff.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Speaking of budget, remember when Max talked about possible Smash characters and said Crash wasn't likely because of some horror story about Playstation All-Stars? Well, Matt McMuscles made a video about it and shed some light into the subject (minute 11:24 if you want to skip):
Turns out Crash was apparently too expensive to the team, which is rather surprising I must admit, given how Crash wasn't active in that time and whatnot. I don't really think this affects Smash at all, given they assuredly have a bigger budget to deal with those demands, but it's still an interesting story to hear.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Speaking of budget, remember when Max talked about possible Smash characters and said Crash wasn't likely because of some horror story about Playstation All-Stars? Well, Matt McMuscles made a video about it and shed some light into the subject (minute 11:24 if you want to skip):
Turns out Crash was apparently too expensive to the team, which is rather surprising I must admit, given how Crash wasn't active in that time and whatnot. I don't really think this affects Smash at all, given they assuredly have a bigger budget to deal with those demands, but it's still an interesting story to hear.
I mean, that's hardly news, Matt didn't even mention other characters who got scrapped like Lightning, Ryu Hayabusa, Tomba, Chun Li and Sub Zero. This game deserved so much better and honestly, a world where Smash and PSABR are healthy rivals would have been fan ****ing tastic

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That was literally one example from nearly seven years ago, back when Nintendo's marketing was completely wack during the Wii U era.

And them revealing Mii Fighters and Palu in the same Direct was just them fully revealing the character customization feature and getting it out of the way to update the website and stuff.

It still means that E3 reveals can still be smaller, regardless of how incapable you are of thinking a character your relatives don't recognize can get in.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It still means that E3 reveals can still be smaller, regardless of how incapable you are of thinking a character your relatives don't recognize can get in.
Are the Miis all that much smaller though? They were very widely recognized due to their appearance in Mii Maker, Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit, etc., and the concept of customizable fighters is a really big thing to announce.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Are the Miis all that much smaller though? They were very widely recognized due to their appearance in Mii Maker, Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit, etc., and the concept of customizable fighters is a really big thing to announce.
Hell no, not Miis, just Palutena taking the spotlight over another Mr. Video Game.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I mean, that's hardly news, Matt didn't even mention other characters who got scrapped like Lightning, Ryu Hayabusa, Tomba, Chun Li and Sub Zero. This game deserved so much better and honestly, a world where Smash and PSABR are healthy rivals would have been fan ****ing tastic
Wait when was Sub-Zero and Chun-li considered for PSASBR?

I knew of Haysbusa, Tomba, and Lightning however.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
If you want people to stay invested for another year, you kinda need something sizeable enough to retain a good degree of interest, not necessarily Character That Nelson Irrationally Hates Because They're Popular tier but still something that a good chunk of people can go "oh wow that's cool they added them"

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Wait when was sub-zero and Chun-li considered for PSASBR?

I knew of Haysbusa, Tomba, and Lightning however.
They were also planned for DLC from what I researched
Steve and Sephiroth together have shown us that it is nearly impossible to predict budget for this.
Ok but what if don't want those DISGUSTING PUTRID characters people typically talk about? What excuse do I use then?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Looked it up. Seemed Lara Croft was considered too. No surprise there though given her status back then as a playstation icon.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
They were also planned for DLC from what I researched

Ok but what if don't want those DISGUSTING PUTRID characters people typically talk about? What excuse do I use then?
Say you sacrificed the souls of the DISGUSTING PUTRID characters in a forbidden ritual to ensure the inclusion of your most-wanteds. Suddenly, everything has shifted in your favor :4pacman:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Steve and Sephiroth together have shown us that it is nearly impossible to predict budget for this.
To be fair, the decline in hype and the decline in budget typically go hand in hand.

Anyway I'm gonna go for now because you people can't handle the idea of someone not falling for the "Crash is a lock" meme.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I would like that, because Nintendo characters would be more likely to be added. Conversely, a bunch of annoying people would dislike it for that reason.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Yeah budget talk is worthless when we don't know what the budget even was.
Sure Steve and Sephiroth are expensive, but how exactly in relation to the budget? They'd absolutely take a decent chunk out of it but how much? Half? Two thirds? Somewhere inbetween? We can't really tell.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah budget talk is worthless when we don't know what the budget even was.
Sure Steve and Sephiroth are expensive, but how exactly in relation to the budget? They'd absolutely take a decent chunk out of it but how much? Half? Two thirds? Somewhere inbetween? We can't really tell.
Eh, I'll give you guys this: They'd still have to spend money getting costumes like Altair and Vault Boy. Not as much as a full challenger pack, but still.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Looked it up. Seemed Lara Croft was considered too. No surprise there though given her status back then as a playstation icon.
It was mentioned in the Wha Happun video and even in the thread a few times, it was just bad timing due to the reboot that made her miss the cut
To be fair, the decline in hype and the decline in budget typically go hand in hand.

Anyway I'm gonna go now because you people can't handle the idea of someone not falling for the "Crash is a lock" meme.
Crash only got mentioned once on this page because of the PSABR video, sounds like you're the one who can't handle discussion to me

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Crash only got mentioned once on this page because of the PSABR video, sounds like you're the one who can't handle discussion to me
Crash is also a reason why people don't want to consider a decline in hype/budget, because it'd mean people would have to discuss characters that-GASP-aren't Crash Bandicoot.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Crash is also a reason why people don't want to consider a decline in hype/budget, because it'd mean people would have to discuss characters that-GASP-aren't Crash Bandicoot.
Everyone here has discussed several characters that aren't Crash. I think you need to stop inventing people to get mad at.

OffBrandANON

Smash Cadet
... except, this may shock you, but... we aren't expecting the dlc to be crash bandicoot, crash bandicoot, and crash bandicoot. we're all considering atleast two other characters(i'm considering 3).
on the other hand, you are making up a reason to try and completely dismiss the character without evidence simply because, i dunno, he's popular and ate your dog.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You're acting like Crash is the only character that gets discussed yet here we are, currently discussing Crash because you couldn't handle a guy posting a PSABR video and mentioned Crash got talked about. If you chose to pretend you didn't see that one post, there wouldn't be a Crash discussion yet you've deluded yourself into thinking literally 1 person's post is the entire thread.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I just came back for the first time in a month to pure chaos, what happened?
Sakurai tweeted that Pheonix Wright will join the battle, his neutral special being smooching his husband Edgeworth on the lips. It's a fantastic idea for a counter animation as if you hit them, your character gets hit with a discrimination lawsuit and gets charged for aggravated assault, very creative of Sakurai!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom