• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Uh

RIP Ryu?

/s...kind of.

There's also this. To me this kinda implies there's something Ninja Gaiden related in the near future. Probably just the "leaked" remasters.

Anyway, I wouldn't expect them to say "yeah we're working on a new Ninja Gaiden". So, I'm not saying they're working on a new NG, but as a director/company a random interview is the last place where I would say "yeah, we're making a new game".

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think it's worth noting the pattern we've seen when it comes to DLC newcomers thus far:

-PP (Ranged brawler-as in, brawler with mild to strong zoning elements)
-Joker (brawler-as in, non-swordie/non-zoner)
-Hero (swordie)
-BK (ranged brawler)
-Terry (brawler)
-Byleth (swordie)
-Min Min (ranged brawler)
-Steve (brawler)
-Sephiroth (swordie)

This leads me to believe that the next character will be either a ranged brawler or actually be our first gunner-type character (which we've been suspiciously missing). If we have any more swordies this pass, they will be fighter #10 or 11 and we will likely only get one more.
Fascinating

If we simplify it further, we could say that the pattern is zoner, close combat, disjoints, as not everyone fits squarely in the same archetype (Min Min leans far more into the range aspect than Banjo, Steve and Byleth use multiple weapons, etc.). Also, each consecutive trio puts increasing emphasis on range... Though, with such ludicrous range as Min Min and Sephiroth, I think that side of the pattern won't hold up.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Fascinating

If we simplify it further, we could say that the pattern is zoner, close combat, disjoints, as not everyone fits squarely in the same archetype (Min Min leans far more into the range aspect than Banjo, Steve and Byleth use multiple weapons, etc.). Also, each consecutive trio puts increasing emphasis on range... Though, with such ludicrous range as Min Min and Sephiroth, I think that side of the pattern won't hold up.
lol I sure as hell hope it doesn't. Before long, characters are gonna start fighting with jousting lances and ICBM's.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace

There's also this. To me this kinda implies there's something Ninja Gaiden related in the near future. Probably just the "leaked" remasters.

Anyway, I wouldn't expect them to say "yeah we're working on a new Ninja Gaiden". So, I'm not saying they're working on a new NG, but as a director/company a random interview is the last place where I would say "yeah, we're making a new game".
Literally a confirmation that something's coming. Not that it matters since Hayabusa doesn't need new entries to become relevant when he's perpetually relevant for being THE video game ninja and Koei's mascot.

It's also always annoying seeing interviews taken out of context to deconfirm characters, even when they have absolutely nothing to do with Smash.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don’t believe I got an answer on when that Hayabusa interview happened...
Today.

A few parts like the "Hayabusa is our most important character" are not from here though, that must be from another interview. EDIT: Actually, that part also appears there, in the second link:

Excellent. Can we expect to see Ryu Hayabusa in a new game anytime soon, Ninja Gaiden or otherwise? I keep asking about Ninja Gaiden, I'm sorry.

[FY] Yeah, so that character is the most important character from all of our franchises. So, considering he's so important, I would definitely like to have him make an appearance again in a game coming soon, and I would like to announce details about that in the future, as soon as possible.

I don't really think anyone doubted he was the most important character from Koei, but I guess this just confirms they view him as their "mascot".

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Today.

A few parts like the "Hayabusa is our most important character" are not from here though, that must be from another interview.
If it’s for playable Hayabusa in Smash though, doesn’t that sound a bit... NDA-break-y?

Firox

Smash Master
Today.

A few parts like the "Hayabusa is our most important character" are not from here though, that must be from another interview.
So basically if Koei Tecmo gets representation, there's an insanely high chance it's going to be Hayabusa since they deem him their flagship character.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If it’s for playable Hayabusa in Smash though, doesn’t that sound a bit... NDA-break-y?
Don't think so. They're just asking for new Hayabusa appearances in general... the interviewer didn't even said "for fighting games".

I still think Yasuda is kind of implying there's something NG/Hayabusa related coming relatively soon, but maybe that's just me.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Today.

The most important character quote is in there.

If it was talking about Smash, maybe, but it seems pretty obvious that he's referring to a remaster of the Sigma trilogy.

SKX31

Smash Master

Uh

RIP Ryu?

/s...kind of.
Koei-Tecmo might be cautious and looking at how well those rumored Sigma rereleases (assuming they exist in the first place of course - they were listed on a Hong Kong-based store's site IIRC) do before comitting.

Don't forget the fact that Nioh suffers the same problem as Dynasty Warriors as well. Both use real historical characters and their stories are based upon actual historical events (Yes, William Adams was a real person). They're both in this weird grey zone.
Aside from Dr. Kawashima, there's also Castlevania Dracula indirectly carrying alot of folkloric legacy with him and a Spirit from the GBA Napoleon game (with the game being mentioned directly), I think we can safely assume that the dividing line will be something like this:

Does the historical person or event still have an overwhelming presence in the current political discourse? If so, Nintendo's much more likely to avoid that. Now that is not a clear cut line or anything: again, Napoleon still pops up in current political discourse from time to time because he and those close to him had a massive impact - in the West in particular - and he's very much linked to the French Revolution, the European monarchies' response to that and the seven subsuquent Coalition Wars. It's for that reason why Nintendo will probably take each matter on a case by case basis. There's one category I'd imagine Nintendo would want to avoid: People who are both (relatively) recent and consistently infamous - such as most if not all 20th century dictators.

I've been much more negative on this question in the past, but I've changed stances largely because a lot of the times what was current fades into the background. It takes quite a while at least. To name an example: the stuff that Dynasty Warriors takes place in - the Three Kingdoms era - happened in the 200s (just as the Han Dynasty crumbled and warlords started fighting each other). The principal historical document a lot of people draw on was written down in 280... just as the wars ended with the Jin Dynasty gaining control.

From there the Three Kingdoms events gradually faded into the background and became background history / legend - culminating in Romance of the Three Kingdoms (which Dynasty Warriors draw upon). The Three Kingdoms era was evidently extremely destructive though (more academical in depth paper here), and both Romance and DW carry that legacy to a large extent. When it comes to wars - again, it'll be case by case. I'd argue that Nintendo might be open to Dynasty Warriors based on the fact that Romance is popular all over East Asia (incl. Japan), so that and the legends lessens the destructive memory. As well as the hundreds of years that have passed since then.

Or nukes.

SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE X CIVILIZATION
GHANDI'S WORDS ARE BACKED WITH NUCLEAR WEAPONS
I start to sweat, realizing that in order to get a certain Civ 6 achievement I'd likely have to account for AI Ghandi.

legion.png

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I mean, it's understandable why people want so many Square-Enix characters in the game with how many great franchises they got like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Tomb Raider, Kingdom Hearts, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, NieR: Automata, ect, ect. The list can go on and on.
Dont forget this guy

Hes associated with Enix the Game he was in was made by Quintet

Quiztime: Who knows his Name or Game?

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I just edited this post because I think Profile Theory is true. Eggman, Paper Mario, Geno, Waluigi, Chun Li, etc all have pfps. Pyra and Mythra do as well. But no Rex. Strange, isn’t it?

Last edited:

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
So I have not been paying attention to Nintendo news/speculation lately, what is the general feelings about a Nintendo Direct happening in the coming weeks? Are people thinking Nintendo is going to do what they did in 2020?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So I have not been paying attention to Nintendo news/speculation lately, what is the general feelings about a Nintendo Direct happening in the coming weeks? Are people thinking Nintendo is going to do what they did in 2020?
Until COVID is managed or eradicated I think minis/shadow drops will be the norm for the foreseeable future

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Between Nintendo Land(?) and Bowser's Fury, it seems we're in for another series of weekly shadowdrops

On that note, how much did we get out of that weekly newsdrop era? Do we have a list?

ZelDan

Smash Master
I wonder if Covid is really the only reason we didn't see directs at all during the latter part of 2020. I'm sure it was a huge part of why, but part of me wonders if Nintendo just didn't have that much lined up software-wise for 2020 so that plus Covid they just didn't see the point.

Maybe if there's some more stuff lined up for 2021, then maybe they'd have a bit more reason to have a direct?

I dunno, just spitballing here.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
This is how Rayman will still win.

He was actually the one I had in the back of my mind when I first came to that conclusion. His disembodied limbs would fit the description perfectly, though just about any other brawler with a decent projectile game could qualify as well. I'm still hoping for a gunner character the most though since we haven't had any new ones yet.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Besides whatever Kirby has planned (which will probably be shadowdropped), Smash DLC, some Third Party Titles, and Pokemon (which does everything separately), I don't see much this year. I definitely think that BotW 2 was planned for this year, but Covid pushed it into 2022. I could see a Mini around June, mostly for BotW2, but that's it besides the inevitable Partner Showcases and the Zelda 35th Anniversary.

7NATOR

Smash Master
He was actually the one I had in the back of my mind when I first came to that conclusion. His disembodied limbs would fit the description perfectly, though just about any other brawler with a decent projectile game could qualify as well. I'm still hoping for a gunner character the most though since we haven't had any new ones yet.
The question I have is what counts as a Gunner Character? Joker uses a Gun, but he's not really considered a Gunner character is he. Hero and Banjo also have alot of Zoning capabilities with Projectiles but they aren't considered Gunner characters

I'm going to assuming a Gunner character is when the character has more projectiles than normal, perhaps Projectile Normals, or just more focus on their projectile moves. Reimu would definitely fit, and KOS-MOS could fit also, along with a FPS Character. I'm a little unsure on Elma because she also has that focus on TWO Swords. she could do both technically, so she probably fits, but what's your definition?

nintendo is not ea 2, at least nintendo makes good games.

if anything activision minus crash/spyro is ea 2
EA Makes good games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom