• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
So Capcom costumes show up in Pass 1 and that means we're getting a Namco character... that never happens.

And Namco costumes show up in Pass 2 and that means we're getting a Capcom character... see where I'm going with this?

Lloyd and Hunter costumes are just gonna show up when the next unrelated RPG character does. :terryhat:
I don't think anyone expected a Namco character in the first pass, in fact, I don't think anyone even remembered that the Namco Mii costumes existed until around Terry when people realized "Wait, where's Heihachi?"

They absolutely could come with any random character, you're not wrong.

But we have seen companies get their costumes bundled together, like with the Sonic ones in Joker's pack.

At this time, there's no right or wrong answer here. It's a very 'wait and see' moment, where we literally cannot know what'll happen.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So Capcom costumes show up in Pass 1 and that means we're getting a Namco character... that never happens.

And Namco costumes show up in Pass 2 and that means we're getting a Capcom character... see where I'm going with this?

Lloyd and Hunter costumes are just gonna show up when the next unrelated RPG character does. :terryhat:
Could very well happen. I just think the situation is a little different now that Capcom already has dumped all of their costumes while holding onto the Monster Hunter armor sets, while Namco is currently in the process of dumping those costumes.

It makes the exclusion a lot more jarring, but I'm not saying your scenario is unlikely either. Just definitely puts Capcom in more of a "will they won't they" situation vs Namco's fate IMO being more or less sealed. Unless they just have like, 4 Tales / new Namco costumes to dump in a single pass with Lloyd or Yuri as the headliner. Which is not impossible either.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't think anyone expected a Namco character in the first pass, in fact, I don't think anyone even remembered that the Namco Mii costumes existed until around Terry when people realized "Wait, where's Heihachi?"
The basis for Namco in the first pass for a lot of people was about "even representation" between companies and believing Namco was owed another character as a favor for developing the game. Meanwhile, according to Sakurai, they often forget that they have a character in the game at all which I think is pretty funny.

I think people always have and continue to weigh this whole company representation thing way too heavily. With how normalized third parties are in Smash now, they really should just be judged as any other series would be introduced into Smash. I've said plenty of times that I could have a full pass of Capcom or Sega content, and I'd still feel satisfied because the content and series represented would be so diverse. Meanwhile I've heard people say Capcom doesn't need "four reps" and that it's already edging on too many - which is ridiculous obviously.

Granted I think there's still basis for saying like "hey isn't it weird that Koei Tecmo doesn't have a character?" But Namco at least already has their posterboy, so the situation is quite different. We were all correct in speculating a "Microsoft character" in FP1 too after all, regardless of who you thought it would be (Seriously, how did we all unanimously agree on that? Seemed like everyone was expecting it).

Anyway I went on a bit of a tangent but you get the idea.

Last edited:

Strife

Banned via Warnings
So trivia, Smash is literally the only crossover game Ryu is in but not Chun-Li. She always follows him wherever he goes but not here, she got passed over for Guile as an AT. Heck it makes me more inclined that she'll be the Capcom DLC rep.
Pretty sure this isn't true as Chun-Li isn't in Asura's wrath but looking into it I'm shocked at how many cross-over games Chun-li has been in. Capcom is very open with licensing her. I think I might finally be feeling like she is the favorite over Akuma now

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

They absolutely could come with any random character, you're not wrong.
But we have seen companies get their costumes bundled together, like with the Sonic ones in Joker's pack.
At this time, there's no right or wrong answer here. It's a very 'wait and see' moment, where we literally cannot know what'll happen.
Hasn't another Namco character always been speculated on since it's so weird that Pac-Man is alone?

Either way, both Capcom and Namco are missing a Mii costume each, so unless they're both getting characters, one of the costumes won't be showing up with a character from their company, one won't show up at all, both show up with an unrelated character, or neither show up at all.

Could very well happen. I just think the situation is a little different now that Capcom already has dumped all of their costumes while holding onto the Monster Hunter armor sets, while Namco is currently in the process of dumping those costumes.
As I said above, they're both missing one each, so it's a stalemate as far as the costumes returning. Unless I've completely forgotten about a costume.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
As I said above, they're both missing one each, so it's a stalemate as far as the costumes returning. Unless I've completely forgotten about a costume.
Monster Hunter has two costumes - Hunter Set and Rathalos Set.

The funny thing about these are that even if Monster Hunter gets in, I could see both of them returning anyway since they're just generic sets of armor.

1608527807877.png
1608527818893.png

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Hasn't another Namco character always been speculated on since it's so weird that Pac-Man is alone?

Either way, both Capcom and Namco are missing a Mii costume each, so unless they're both getting characters, one of the costumes won't be showing up with a character from their company, one won't show up at all, both show up with an unrelated character, or neither show up at all.

Capcom is missing 2. Capcom has 2 sets of Monster Hunter costumes, which, while yes they'd come together...

A lack of evidence is not evidence. We cannot say with certainty one way or another until we see a non-Namco character show up with Lloyd or a non-Capcom character show up with MH, THEN we can 100% write them off.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Monster Hunter has two costumes - Hunter Set and Rathalos Set.

View attachment 296590View attachment 296591
Ah yeah, thanks. Still, they're both from the same series so they wouldn't be releasing separately, which leaves Capcom and Namco in basically the same stalemate of "which one gets the costume(s) back first."

Capcom is missing 2. Capcom has 2 sets of Monster Hunter costumes, which, while yes they'd come together...

A lack of evidence is not evidence. We cannot say with certainty one way or another until we see a non-Namco character show up with Lloyd or a non-Capcom character show up with MH, THEN we can 100% write them off.
Yeah, that's the point, Mii costumes don't point either way, so it's a crapshoot which one of them, if any, get a character.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
This talk around Tales makes me want to pick up Tales of Vesperia, hopefully after Christmas I can finally get it.

Any other katana users we know about besides Ryu Hayabusa and the Tales of protagonists? Just want to see something...
Offhand, there's Scorpion, Flynn from SMTIV, Monster Hunter with the Long Sword, and Raiden. If you include ATs there's also Lyn.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Off topic but my brother said the only Kingdom Hearts character he knew besides Sora was “that guy who looks like Sephiroth” and I had to tell him it was Sephiroth because he shows up there too and his dumbfounded reaction has been sending me to the f***ing stratosphere.
I mean, he also coulda been talking about any of a half-dozen versions of Xehanort, who all look like Sephiroths.

Any other katana users we know about besides Ryu Hayabusa and the Tales of protagonists? Just want to see something...
Crono
Hoahmaru
Lyn
Mitsurugi
Raiden
Takamaru
Vergil

Last edited:

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
lol imagine rest of the pass is only first party picks
I'm just waiting to see NOA's Switch-era marketing machine promote a dead franchise revival. The trippiest moment of my life as a Nintendo fan was walking into a Walmart back in Christmastime 2017 and seeing a full size display for Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I mean, they've even tweeted and made videos celebrating and hyping up Fire Emblem 1 and that game largely sucks.

If 2021 brings revivals of F-Zero, Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven or Advance Wars, I will be out there stealing all the marketing material JUST to make sure it isn't a dream. Just the thought of like the Nintendo Minute people or an interview with Doug Bowser even MENTIONING the history or name of one of these franchises keeps me alive and thirsty.

EDIT: Holy moly now I remember that time they tweeted out a picture of Chibi-Robo on fire that was nuts gimme that **** again.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Nah. Those are just really good guessers.

You can tell me that. But I'm not going to take a random guy from the internet's word that all random guys on the internet aren't fake.

The ESRB are great guessers.
You say the ESRB leaker was just a lucky guesser, but they upload this gameplay footage of Bowser Jr. and Shulk before they were even announced in Smash 4:

This right here boi is a real ******* leak from the Summer of 2014.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So trivia, Smash is literally the only crossover game Ryu is in but not Chun-Li. She always follows him wherever he goes but not here, she got passed over for Guile as an AT. Heck it makes me more inclined that she'll be the Capcom DLC rep.
You know who else follows who into crossovers? Sephiroth. :rolleyes:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
lol imagine rest of the pass is only first party picks
My excitement would heavily depend on which first parties we’re talking about. Not going to name specifics but let’s just say there’s a group of characters I’d pop the champagne for and another group I’d snore at.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Will it be sick if Ryu Hayabusa vs Shirtless Sephiroth in his reveal trailer that will be amazing.?

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Like I said, he's the ultimate stalker who loves to mess with Cloud.
Technically, Cloud's the one who stalks Sephiroth. At least it's that way in FFVII.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
All the bad stuff in the world and you choose to be salty about fictional characters in a party game a year after their reveal.
I think he's trolling.

Ya know. Having a tee hee moment.

Granted tee hee moments are better when they're funny.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Of course, nothing can compare to that one time people figured out how to hack into the game and unlock Roy and Ryu literally the day before their reveal.
But the ESRB leak happened a month or two before Smash 3DS came out so that's completely different from Ryu and Roy getting datamined the day before.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
My excitement would heavily depend on which first parties we’re talking about. Not going to name specifics but let’s just say there’s a group of characters I’d pop the champagne for and another group I’d snore at.
"Not going to name specifics, but I do have this signature right below..."

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If we are talking about a list of Nintendo characters we want, here's my list:
Krystal
Dixie Kong
Porky Minch
Pig Ganon
Skull Kid
Mach Rider
Ayumi Tachibana
Wart
Elma
Rex & Pyra
Impa
Urbosa
Mipha
Medusa
Hades
Viridi
Waluigi
Captain Toad
Cranky Kong
Funky Kong
Lanky Kong
Captain Syrup
Mona
Ashley
Marx
Bandana Dee
Giygas
Ninten
Leon Powalski
Paper Mario
Lip
Kamek
Shy Guy
Birdo

There's probably more... But I can't think who else off the top of my head right now.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Personally I think we should end with 3 Fire Emblem characters and Sakurai ending the final broadcast with "This is what you get for whining about Isaac, Geno and Waluigi" while doing a backflip

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Personally I think we should end with 3 Fire Emblem characters and Sakurai ending the final broadcast with "This is what you get for whining about Isaac, Geno and Waluigi" while doing a backflip
Isaac, Geno, and Waluigi would be bigger salt mines than more FE at this point.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
"Not going to name specifics, but I do have this signature right below..."
My signature has the characters I want, which I’m more than fine with sharing. When I said I wouldn’t name specifics it was more referring to the characters I don’t want, which are not in my signature and would more likely lead to flame wars. Of course, seems some people have decided to try to find a way to start them regardless........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom