• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I’d pick A for Crash, then close my eyes and pretend it’s Yuri speaking instead of Jonesy.
But if you close your eyes
Does it almost feel like
nothing's changed at all

Eh...

That's... definitely a cape and not wings, but at the same time if Violet flew with 'em, I'd buy it.

Or maybe she could just use the grappling hook all the time.
OK that's a cool design.

I think the cape would look cool on Violet too. You might be able to get away with it and just have everyone assume the move name is metaphorical for her.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Who would you pick?

I’d go with B. I wanna pick A for Crash, but…it’s also got Jonesy.
I want Crash so badly but at the same time I really don't want Jonesy so this is a monkey paw situation for me. Sora and Eggman are great choices. Master Chief is another one of my most wanted and would be a crazy hype reveal, but I'm not too interested in Meowth.

You know what, screw it, let the bandicoot in and we'll just have the default dance in Smash then.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
No, she uses a short blade that's a little bigger than a dagger. Also, the persona in smash just augments attacks, and hers is similar enough to Arsene to do the same moves, just with the bless element instead of curse. Plus she's the one who teaches Joker how to use the grappling hook. Imo most of Joker's moves would be more natural on Violet than they are on Joker since she's a lot more acrobatic.
When Joker initially came out, I got the impression that there were a lot of aspects of his moveset that seemed to lend to the idea of Violet being a part of him initially, which I suppose makes sense given what we know about that string. For example, I thought his dagger felt slightly longer than I would have expected, and all the acrobatic moves, while fitting for Joker, seemed to take a lot more from Violet's style. Couple that with how she, in canon, has a design and Persona that is deliberately based on Joker and, tbh I think it could work, not that I expect it to.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
But if you close your eyes
Does it almost feel like
nothing's changed at all

OK that's a cool design.

I think the cape would look cool on Violet too. You might be able to get away with it and just have everyone assume the move name is metaphorical for her.
You might be able to get away with calling it Veil of Midnight, her Persona's unique trait. A cape's... kind of like that, right?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Who would you pick?

Eggman and Sora in a heartbeat. Why have two with a popular character/ troll pick combo and then one with just two popular characters? Get your **** together Walmart.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Who would you pick?

I suppose I should probably actually answer.

Eggman and Meowth. Still lines up with my (current) prediction of the final two being "The Anniversary Couple" aka "a Sonic Character and a Pokemon character".

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
When Joker initially came out, I got the impression that there were a lot of aspects of his moveset that seemed to lend to the idea of Violet being a part of him initially, which I suppose makes sense given what we know about that string. For example, I thought his dagger felt slightly longer than I would have expected, and all the acrobatic moves, while fitting for Joker, seemed to take a lot more from Violet's style. Couple that with how she, in canon, has a design and Persona that is deliberately based on Joker and, tbh I think it could work, not that I expect it to.
That combined with the whole "Jane" thing made a lot of people think that. Granted at the time the popular theory was that Violet was the new female player character like P3P, so most of us assumed she was going to be an alt. If we get one bonus echo I think it's her purely because she was definitely being worked on at some point. What else could a female named Joker alt with ponytail physics possibly be?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So after you get called out for being biased it goes from a 1% chance of deconfirming to 50/50?
The absolute **** are you on about with biases? You're really misreading or misunderstanding me.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
You know its Smash speculation scene when a single potentially vague statement by Ninja Gaiden people within 8 hours leads to debates about the psychological merits of judging people's biases and wants.

Presumably Eggman ever potentially being disconfirmed will somehow spur arguments about the merits of free will and whether our hopes are truly our own or externalized influences we take in unconsciously.
Me when the next disconfirm happens:

Who would you pick?
Eggman and Sora, easily. As far as I'm concerned, it's barely a contest, even if I'd also like Crash.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I mean, if playable Meowth could bring the regional variants as alts, especially that delightful scruffy lookin Galarian Meowth (my favorite of the variants), then yeah! Bring that cat in! TECHNICALLY, having Galarian Meowth would be SwSh repping!

But yeah... today's events with Hayabusa make me more assured: The final two are not really gonna be who people expect. Probably not Crash (or Spyro for that matter) as much as people expect him. Would love to be wrong. But that's why I'm stickin with my bet: Final two are Sonic and Pokemon. Just "unexciting" enough to be the final two while also making some kind of sense. Of course, I would LOVE it, I love both of those series (though Pokemon and me are having a mini-catfight/standoff RIGHT now). But yeah. Sonic and Pokemon as 10 and 11. Not NECESSARILY in that order but probably? If further rumors/evidence or whatever pop up supporting something else, then my opinion might change but for NOW... that's where I stand. Whether that's "Eggman and Pokemon Trainer 2", "Amy and Decidueye", "Metal Sonic and Meowth" or some mix of those, who's to say. I'm not makin bets THAT specific. Just the general idea of "Sonic and Pokemon". That's the street I'm currently standing on.

Wouldn't be surprised if Steve and Sephiroth were our "peak". You know how it is with Smash: "Save the best for somewhere in the middle"

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

The #TheGreatAceAttorney hashtag is certainly... suspicious.
Non AA fans: "Oh cool, a concert, how nice that they made up a hashtag to praise the beloved series"

AA fans:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Someone got to photograph an N64DD Development Kit from a private collector. More pics in the twitter replies below.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Who would you pick?

I Like Sora, And Eggman is not my preferred choice for a Sonic character...or even in the top 5, but He's cool, and I'd be interested to see the direction they go with his actual moveset

So B

I mean, if playable Meowth could bring the regional variants as alts, especially that delightful scruffy lookin Galarian Meowth (my favorite of the variants), then yeah! Bring that cat in! TECHNICALLY, having Galarian Meowth would be SwSh repping!

But yeah... today's events with Hayabusa make me more assured: The final two are not really gonna be who people expect. Probably not Crash (or Spyro for that matter) as much as people expect him. Would love to be wrong. But that's why I'm stickin with my bet: Final two are Sonic and Pokemon. Just "unexciting" enough to be the final two while also making some kind of sense. Of course, I would LOVE it, I love both of those series (though Pokemon and me are having a mini-catfight/standoff RIGHT now). But yeah. Sonic and Pokemon as 10 and 11. Not NECESSARILY in that order but probably? If further rumors/evidence or whatever pop up supporting something else, then my opinion might change but for NOW... that's where I stand. Whether that's "Eggman and Pokemon Trainer 2", "Amy and Decidueye", "Metal Sonic and Meowth" or some mix of those, who's to say. I'm not makin bets THAT specific. Just the general idea of "Sonic and Pokemon". That's the street I'm currently standing on.

Wouldn't be surprised if Steve and Sephiroth were our "peak". You know how it is with Smash: "Save the best for somewhere in the middle"
I understand Pokemon being considered Unexciting, but I don't understand why Another Sonic character would be considered Unexciting in the grand scheme of things

Might not be shocking like Sephiroth, and even Steve were, but Crash wouldn't be shocking either and I don't see him being considered unexciting

The craziest thing for me is that it's looking like the only new Capcom character we're gonna get with Ultimate is Ken. Kind of insane considering the plethora of amazing options they have.
Seems like Negotations for other Characters must have fallen through, or that they are currently discussing content for the Next game

But Ken Masters is such a Legend that he can hold it down while other Capcom characters take their time coming in

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
That combined with the whole "Jane" thing made a lot of people think that. Granted at the time the popular theory was that Violet was the new female player character like P3P, so most of us assumed she was going to be an alt. If we get one bonus echo I think it's her purely because she was definitely being worked on at some point. What else could a female named Joker alt with ponytail physics possibly be?
I remember frequenting Violet's support thread back in the day in hopes of her actually happening. This discussion really brings me back lol.

Speaking of speculation pieces from a long time ago, does anyone know what happened to that mech gun thing that Sakurai mentioned buying for a game he was developing that was commonly thought to be evidence for Elma?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I remember frequenting Violet's support thread back in the day in hopes of her actually happening. This discussion really brings me back lol.

Speaking of speculation pieces from a long time ago, does anyone know what happened to that mech gun thing that Sakurai mentioned buying for a game he was developing that was commonly thought to be evidence for Elma?
sad sigh

no idea. Some think it was for the spirit gun for the spirit board. I definitely don’t think it was for the Custom Robo Mii or Inkling

7NATOR

Smash Master
So off the current topic, but Slackerz, a Prominent Smashtuber, did a Video talking about the "Papagenos Evidence Situation"

his video goes over his thoughts about the evidence thing from Last summer that pointed toward Geno, Waluigi, and/or "Other Unlikely characters"

I think it was a good video, and it does bring up the good question. If Papagenos was so confident in this info, to the point he never made a video about it because of the ramifications, why was he so on board with Concert Leak

-The Info was Balooney, or made up by Papa

-The Info was found out to be fake by Papa, and Papa never looked in it's direction again

-The Info was real, but Papa chose to disregard it for whatever reason (perhaps because Geno became a Mii and Papa thought that was what it was referring to)

-The Info is real, and secretly Papa is playing 4D Chess and trying to not talk about it, despite the fact he still has somewhat of belief in it.

Whatever the case is, Papa is being kind of shady (not in a bad way though) about this whole Situation. He's a cool fella, but regarding this, it's very weird, and I'm glad that this wasn't just thrown to the wayside to be lost to Discord boards forever

He missed few pieces of Info though, but it was overall good look into this

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
The absolute **** are you on about with biases? You're really misreading or misunderstanding me.
Look I wasn't a part of that whole thing, I just noticed you said it was a 1% chance he was deconfirmed, then someone said you were biased and you responded that it was 50/50. I commented because I thought it was funny, I don't know if you are actually biased or not.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So off the current topic, but Slackerz, a Prominent Smashtuber, did a Video talking about the "Papagenos Evidence Situation"

his video goes over his thoughts about the evidence thing from Last summer that pointed toward Geno, Waluigi, and/or "Other Unlikely characters"

I think it was a good video, and it does bring up the good question. If Papagenos was so confident in this info, to the point he never made a video about it because of the ramifications, why was he so on board with Concert Leak

-The Info was found out to be fake by Papa, and Papa never looked in it's direction again

-The Info was real, but Papa chose to disregard it for whatever reason (perhaps because Geno became a Mii and Papa thought that was what it was referring to)

-The Info is real, and secretly Papa is playing 4D Chess and trying to not talk about it, despite the fact he still has somewhat of belief in it.

Whatever the case is, Papa is being kind of shady (not in a bad way though) about this whole Situation. He's a cool fella, but regarding this, it's very weird, and I'm glad that this wasn't just thrown to the wayside to be lost to Discord boards forever

We really making speculation videos on speculation youtubers now?

SKX31

Smash Master
We really making speculation videos on speculation youtubers now?
I would be floored if anything PapaGenos had to say was actually credible.
Oh no.

It has happened.

Smash Speculation has entered the Fumble Dimension.

(Name shamelessly taken from Secret Base's series of Youtube videos about really strange sports experiments using video games.)

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Look I wasn't a part of that whole thing, I just noticed you said it was a 1% chance he was deconfirmed, then someone said you were biased and you responded that it was 50/50. I commented because I thought it was funny, I don't know if you are actually biased or not.
I was literally quoting what the other guy was saying man, I'm gonna have to do " next time :191: Trifling and slanderous out here smh

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The craziest thing for me is that it's looking like the only new Capcom character we're gonna get with Ultimate is Ken. Kind of insane considering the plethora of amazing options they have.
I love Ken. Probably my fave SF character. But yeah, I agree with you. Not only kind of insane but also kind of disappointing that we might not get another Capcom character, if you ask me.

I guess Sega is in a similar position. But Ken is an echo fighter, even if a very unique one, and from an already repped series. Joker was a completely new character and brought with him a new franchise.

At this point I'll take any Capcom character, as long as we get another one, but it doesn't look very good for them, yeah.

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman

Very cool Capcom but please tell me you guys are doing something for Okami's 15th anniversary.

You are planning something right? RIGHT!?

Oshawott777

Smash Cadet

So I'll want Geno til the day I die, but are we still talking about him? I'd absolutely love it if he was in, say, a Fighters Pass 3, but after getting Mii Costume'd, it just isn't going to happen this game.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So I'll want Geno til the day I die, but are we still talking about him? I'd absolutely love it if he was in, say, a Fighters Pass 3, but after getting Mii Costume'd, it just isn't going to happen this game.
No Geno is not really the focus

the focus is actually on Waluigi, since despite being an Assist Trophy, I do think there is merit to him possibly being included in FP2, and he hasn't been costumed in FP2 unlike Geno. What some people might also neglect is that Shadow was implicated in this evidence as well, it's just that Papagenos (along with most speculators) see him as unlikely, and Slackerz didn't go into the speculation of what the evidence actually was

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
No Geno is not really the focus

the focus is actually on Waluigi, since despite being an Assist Trophy, I do think there is merit to him possibly being included in FP2, and he hasn't been costumed in FP2 unlike Geno. What some people might also neglect is that Shadow was implicated in this evidence as well, it's just that Papagenos (along with most speculators) see him as unlikely, and Slackerz didn't go into the speculation of what the evidence actually was
So it's another AT debate...

NEXT!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Who’s a pretty famous gaming icon that you never see getting speculated to be put in Smash? My biggest one is Prince of Persia - pretty huge game franchise but I’ve literally never seen him suggested.
All you dusty ****** are sleeping on Plok.

Joking aside. Lara Croft and Bill Rizer are starting to get talked about lately. For a while they weren't taken too seriously, or at least notably less so than Hayabusa and Crash.

I guess the Double Dragon brothers, Bimmy and Jimmy Lee. Though to be honest, if we got a Beat 'Em Up character, my first pick is someone from Streets of Rage or Final Fight.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Who’s a pretty famous gaming icon that you never see getting speculated to be put in Smash? My biggest one is Prince of Persia - pretty huge game franchise but I’ve literally never seen him suggested.
I do gotta ask: How will his time rewind powers work in Smash?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
All you dusty ****** are sleeping on Plok.

Joking aside. Lara Croft and Bill Rizer are starting to get talked about lately. For a while they weren't taken too seriously, or at least notably less so than Hayabusa and Crash.

I guess the Double Dragon brothers, Bimmy and Jimmy Lee. Though to be honest, if we got a Beat 'Em Up character, my first pick is someone from Streets of Rage or Final Fight.
I mean I was saying Sephiroth was underrated in the community for a while and was one of the OG Crash supporters. Speculation is weird.

If I were to say who else is underrated in the community as a whole, I would go with Lara but it makes sense why she is not speculated on as much. She is at the end of the day a Square character, and we have gotten one already this pass. I expect her stock to rise in this community going forward. I would say the next square rep is either her or Neku, though I know some will swear by the puppet.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So it's another AT debate...

NEXT!
Only if you guys want to make it be an AT debate

We could totally talk about the other aspects of the characters, including their actual merits, or we could just discuss the logistics of the Info surrounding Papagenos evidence, whether it was fake or not. We could discuss if the Geno Mii was what it was just referring to, or was it not that? we could also discuss Metal Sonic (who was also in the speculated evidence), or we could even bring the Paraleak into this if you want to focus more on Waluigi

I get that the Assist trophy is a part of the characters implicated here, but I fail to see why that has to be the forefront of the debate. Like when we discuss Kiryu, we don't make the Interview about him not hitting women the focus of the debate. When we Talk Reimu, not every discussion is about her Reigonal Popularity, or it being the focus. Why does it have to apply here?

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman

Just bought a ticket. It's at 6am for me, but gosh darn it it's gonna be the best 6am ever

But yeah, I would love to get something Capcom beyond just the Mii costumes scattered throughout FP1 and with Pyra/Mythra. Ken's alright, but it'd feel weird to me if he was the only Capcom newcomer in Ultimate. MvC is proof that they have a ton of characters who are perfect for crossovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom