• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I've always wanted to try Pokémon Snap. My knowledge of the series is basically the Melee trophy.

Also why are second anniversary POTD's a hour apart now? This happened yesterday too.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I don't care if a character is a villain or not, Edelgard is more interesting than Byleth. I would've taken her or Claude or Dimitri over another main character whose personality is that of cardboard, design is alright but nothing super special and weapon of choice is a sword.

I know Byleth uses multiple weapons in Smash and in-game, but the implementation wasn't so remarkable that I wouldn't still prefer one of the more interesting characters.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So. Here is a different topic.

We know that Final Fantasy content was difficult to get due to the various copyrights the game's assets have. Apparently it was quite the ordeal to get Final Fantasy music, and even more of one to remix it.

Dragon Quest went through a more extreme situation. They couldn't even get the rights to remix music. Not even a victory jingle. Even Cloud could get that in Smash 4.

Something similar happened with Minecraft's music. Apparently getting certain music from the base game was impossible.

Do you think some similar things happened with other third parties already in Smash?

I think this might be an issue with Sonic's music. We only have one remix and it's from one of Sega's composers. Sega may be willing to give more Sonic tracks but.. they may not allow other parties to remix them.

And... that might be the only other one I can think of.

Mega Man, Street Fighter, Metal Gear, Casltevania, Bayonetta, Persona, Banjo Kazooie and especially Fatal Fury seemed to have no rights issues in regards to their music. (Monster Hunter, Undertale and Cuphead don't seem to have issues either.

Pac-Man might also be an IP like that, but its flooded with non Pac-Man music so I'm unsure if they just don't want more Pac-Man stuff or they can't get any more.

What do you think?

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I can't see a Fighter's Pass 3 happening partly because Sakurai is likely working on a new IP whilst working on Smash Ultimate and partly because Nintendo doesn't want to make Smash Bros Ultimate too expensive.
but, that doesn't make sense?

would they stop working on a game, cause "guy's it's too high budget! we need to stop all development right now!" as long as they make a good amount of money back I don't see them stopping development for this game due to budget reasons.

and trust me they made their money back, it's sold over 20 million copies, most at full price and 2 full DLC packs on top of that, and the mii's probably make a pretty hefty amount on their own.

dream1ng

Smash Lord

We know that Final Fantasy content was difficult to get due to the various copyrights the game's assets have. Apparently it was quite the ordeal to get Final Fantasy music, and even more of one to remix it.

Dragon Quest went through a more extreme situation. They couldn't even get the rights to remix music. Not even a victory jingle. Even Cloud could get that in Smash 4.

Something similar happened with Minecraft's music. Apparently getting certain music from the base game was impossible.

Do you think some similar things happened with other third parties already in Smash?

I think this might be an issue with Sonic's music. We only have one remix and it's from one of Sega's composers. Sega may be willing to give more Sonic tracks but.. they may not allow other parties to remix them.

Mega Man, Street Fighter, Metal Gear, Casltevania, Bayonetta, Persona, Banjo Kazooie and especially Fatal Fury seemed to have no rights issues in regards to their music. (Monster Hunter, Undertale and Cuphead don't seem to have issues either.

Pac-Man might be the only IP like that, but its flooded with non Pac-Man music so I'm unsure if they just domt want more Pac-Man stuff or they can't get any more.

What do you think?
I think Sakurai doesn't seem to want to focus on anything more recent than Pac-Land, which is doing a disservice to the fact that that series didn't actually end in the early 80s. I don't think that's Namco holding him back, I think that's his idiosyncratic affinity for classic stuff.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Pac-Man might be the only IP like that, but its flooded with non Pac-Man music so I'm unsure if they just domt want more Pac-Man stuff or they can't get any more.

What do you think?
Bayonetta couldn't get any vocal tracks so there's that. Not sure if it's anything definitive with their rights or it was just too much of a hassle.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Bayonetta couldn't get any vocal tracks so there's that. Not sure if it's anything definitive with their rights or it was just too much of a hassle.
That seemed like a strange issue where Sega owned the songs Mysterious Destiny and Tomorrow is Mine but they just didnt want to credit the vocalist. Maybe it was deemed to expensive at the time? Smash 4 DLC was more low key then Ultimate.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I wasn't joking at all.

Revive an old Nintendo property, give Waluigi his own game, and a basis for his own Smash moveset that's not just "Mario Sports guy".
I agree, or at least put him into a Wario Land game..like some sort of Co-Op Wario Land similar to New Super Mario Bros. or Donkey Kong Country Returns thing or even just a playable character with different abilities than Wario like a Sonic / Knuckles situation so the two could go through levels in different fashions..I wouldn't mind in the least if Waluigi got in as a Wario Rep so we'd at least not have 10 Super Mario series characters..

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Personally I'm one of the rare breeds of FE fan that liked Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude. I don't really hate Rhea either, though she is generally less interesting to me than the House lords.

And as someone that likes Edelgard I have no issue admitting she is an antagonist, or atleast one for 75% of the game. Hell it's because I find her an interesting antagonist that I like her.

And yeah I would have MUCH preferred Edelgard get in over Byleth, or either of the other 2 house leaders get in over Byleth too for that matter, but I don't mind Byleth being in and am just happy Three Houses got some love in Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

Pac-Man might also be an IP like that, but its flooded with non Pac-Man music so I'm unsure if they just don't want more Pac-Man stuff or they can't get any more.

What do you think?
I know this is not the case right now arguably, but historically the rights for Mrs Pac Man have been a nightmare. This might just be me rationalizing the fact we somehow never got Mrs Pac Man as an echo but...

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I know this is not the case right now arguably, but historically the rights for Mrs Pac Man have been a nightmare. This might just be me rationalizing the fact we somehow never got Mrs Pac Man as an echo but...
Miss Pac-Man isn't even a spirit come to think of it.

Heck, we dont have anything aside from the OG game and Pac-Land.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Pac-Man's Final Smash is based off Super Pac-Man, we have music from Pac-Mania, Pac-Pix is referenced on Pictochat 2 and some of his moveset comes from the Pac-Man World series.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

What do you think?
I know with Sonic at least partly that the music for the two most famous games in the series: Sonic 1 & 2, is not fully owned by SEGA themselves. Ex. Sonic Mania's OST release had to leave off the music for those zones and that when Sonic 1 & 2 got a OST release the overwhelming majority of the album is credited to Masato Nakamura.

Pac-Man I think is more an issue of wanting to focus on the most famous era of Namco and when Pac-Man was at his most relevant. Though honestly I don't mind given it allows for more series from BN to be represented. Though cutting the Bravoman Medley from the previous game is a travesty. There could be some issues with later games potentially, as I know some of them were composed by Western Composers like Tommy Tallarico, but it's hard to say. Of the 3rd Parties in Smash, Pac-Man is probably the least remembered for it's music (sound effects aside).

Pretty sure a lot of the old guard at Bandai Namco dislike Ms. Pac-Man for both out of how she came to be and upstaging their own official releases. In part it seems like she's kept around mostly when Western audiences are more heavily in mind as releases of her game in Japan are very spotty and is pretty much kept out of archives/bonus material in Namco Museum releases.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Personally I'm one of the rare breeds of FE fan that liked Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude. I don't really hate Rhea either, though she is generally less interesting to me than the House lords.
By what I've heard, without any major spoilers, I'm not happy that Rhea does not have any supports aside from Byleth. Not even her fellow members. Like she's just as much of a side as Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude, yet she gets no opportunities to develop her character compared to those 3.

It frickin' sucked when Reina from Fates was stuck as Male Corrin-only despite being a story-character and a character that could've allowed Male Corrin to marry another First-Gen and still get all the children characters, but the idea that a very story-important character gets no supports other than Byleth to expand their character just leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Yet another POTD tonight, celebrating the WarioWare series.

I enjoy Ware but I do wish Land got a bit more content in Smash.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Yet another POTD tonight, celebrating the WarioWare series.

I enjoy Ware but I do wish Land got a bit more content in Smash.
Land is pretty much dead after the last game and that was Shake It, which came out way back in 2008.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
We do have Black Knight technically, due to his role as an Assist Trophy. But the thing is that before Three Houses, none of the villains/antagonists aside from Medeus, Gharnef, Black Knight, Grima and maybe Nergal and Arvis have any sort of notability.
  • Medeus is the first Dragon antagonist that started the Dragon villain archetype like Duma, Loptyr, Idunn, the Fire Dragons, Grima and Anankos, with some variations in Fomortiis and Ashera.
  • Gharnef is the start of the cult villain archetype for so many FE games, like Jedah, Manfroy, Veld, Nergal, Riev and Validar, with a big variation in Sephiran.
  • Black Knight is practically the sworn enemy and rival of Ike and is notable for his powerful entrance and the stage where he was nigh invincible and yet was capable of getting close to your units and killing them.
  • Grima is practically the only other known Dragon antagonist that has some popularity for their design and role. And to alot of people who started with Awakening, he was their first final boss and notable villain.
  • Nergal isn't exactly notable, but he has some notability for, like Grima, being the first Fire Emblem main villain for many people who played Fire Emblem GBA/Blazing Sword in the West.
  • Arvis would have alot of notability and popularity if his game ever came out to the West. He's the first Edelgard and IS actually based Edelgard from Arvis.

None of the other villains really get any looks because they are either a template of Medeus/Gharnef/Hardin or are very boring, like Garon. It wasn't until Three Houses where a villain/antagonist actually has popularity. The only villain who'd probably get more popularity than any of the mentioned above is Arvis if his game actually came out to the West because he was the first antagonist to do some really dark stuff and yet have some actual character than just "For evilz! or "Humans suck...".
You know, 5 notable villains is actually a lot. More then what a lot of other franchises have.

I'm lowkey a Black Knight supporter by the way. He's not happening with all the FE roster bloat but I can dream.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I feel like Land is one of those "Luigi's Mansion series" that's been dormant for a really long time, but could do well if Nintendo found the right studio to handle the games.

GoodFeel is probably out considering the success they've had with Yoshi.
Modern Retro is really good at 2D platformers. Maybe they could be a good fit.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You know, 5 notable villains is actually a lot. More then what a lot of other franchises have.

I'm lowkey a Black Knight supporter by the way. He's not happening with all the FE roster bloat but I can dream.
The problem is they're not really notable.

All of them sans Black Knight have zero following.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
We do have Black Knight technically, due to his role as an Assist Trophy. But the thing is that before Three Houses, none of the villains/antagonists aside from Medeus, Gharnef, Black Knight, Grima and maybe Nergal and Arvis have any sort of notability.
  • Medeus is the first Dragon antagonist that started the Dragon villain archetype like Duma, Loptyr, Idunn, the Fire Dragons, Grima and Anankos, with some variations in Fomortiis and Ashera.
  • Gharnef is the start of the cult villain archetype for so many FE games, like Jedah, Manfroy, Veld, Nergal, Riev and Validar, with a big variation in Sephiran.
  • Black Knight is practically the sworn enemy and rival of Ike and is notable for his powerful entrance and the stage where he was nigh invincible and yet was capable of getting close to your units and killing them.
  • Grima is practically the only other known Dragon antagonist that has some popularity for their design and role. And to alot of people who started with Awakening, he was their first final boss and notable villain.
  • Nergal isn't exactly notable, but he has some notability for, like Grima, being the first Fire Emblem main villain for many people who played Fire Emblem GBA/Blazing Sword in the West.
  • Arvis would have alot of notability and popularity if his game ever came out to the West. He's the first Edelgard and IS actually based Edelgard from Arvis.

None of the other villains really get any looks because they are either a template of Medeus/Gharnef/Hardin or are very boring, like Garon. It wasn't until Three Houses where a villain/antagonist actually has popularity. The only villain who'd probably get more popularity than any of the mentioned above is Arvis if his game actually came out to the West because he was the first antagonist to do some really dark stuff and yet have some actual character than just "For evilz! or "Humans suck...".
I'd throw Lyon in there due to having a decent amount of popularity, but otherwise I agree for the most part. It also doesn't help that many of those also lack the popularity of characters like Ridley or K. Rool to get the push they needed to get into Smash. So with FE's rotating cast and Smash's preference for adding the protagonist first the series is in a rough spot for getting any villains. The only ones I could see happen right now is Edelgard or the Black Knight due to their popularity, and that's only if the circumstances align just right for them.

Shroob

Sup?
To put things into perspective.

In the OG Choose Your Legends Event, Black Knight was the only villain to break the top 100.

FE Villains are generally not that popular.
They also rarely tend to have much of a personality that doesn't fall into either: A)Evil for the sake of evil, B) Big ****in demon/dragon, C) Both.

Black Knight, Lyon, and what's his name from Awakening are really the only 3 villains I was super interested in, and that's because they ended up getting fleshed out. Zephiel and Hardin kinda as well, but... they kinda suffer from "older game" syndrome.

And let's not kid ourselves. Would anyone really remember Grima were it not for FEH and the edgy female Robin incarnation?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

Honestly, I think we could get more characters if we had more different characters as alternate skins (like Black Knight as an alt for Ike in this instance) or made Echoes into a 'Style Select'..like Select Marth and then Press Y to swap between Marth, Roy, Lucina, & Chrom, each having their differences but more like being glorified skins for Marth and keeping their own little differences.
I feel like this would help with the Roster Bloat issue while allowing more characters..and of course they could be extended to other series, like Zack for Cloud, Jeanne & Rodin for Bayonetta, Daisy & Pauline for Peach, Impa for Shiek, the other Links for Link, Proto Man Bass X MegaMan.exe for Mega Man, etc.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
And let's not kid ourselves. Would anyone really remember Grima were it not for FEH and the edgy female Robin incarnation?
Actually, I'm pretty sure the male Grima is more popular, on account of Female Grima being... kinda bad.

Well they're both bad, but you get my point.

As for Grima being memorable, I say yes. He has something no other FE villain has.

He's ****ing gigantic. Large enough to have two armies fight on his back while flying in the air.

Shroob

Sup?
Actually, I'm pretty sure the male Grima is more popular, on account of Female Grima being... kinda bad.

Well they're both bad, but you get my point.

As for Grima being memorable, I say yes. He has something no other FE villain has.

He's ****ing gigantic. Large enough to have two armies fight on his back while flying in the air.
Pshaw, Deathwing did it first.

Ah, so this is how we get a World of Warcraft rep.

Also, who said anything about GAMEPLAY irt the FEH part? :4pacman:

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, I think we could get more characters if we had more different characters as alternate skins (like Black Knight as an alt for Ike in this instance) or made Echoes into a 'Style Select'..like Select Marth and then Press Y to swap between Marth, Roy, Lucina, & Chrom, each having their differences but more like being glorified skins for Marth and keeping their own little differences.
I feel like this would help with the Roster Bloat issue while allowing more characters..and of course they could be extended to other series, like Zack for Cloud, Jeanne & Rodin for Bayonetta, Daisy & Pauline for Peach, Impa for Shiek, the other Links for Link, Proto Man Bass X MegaMan.exe for Mega Man, etc.
You know you can stack echoes, right?

What you're suggesting is not any different than what we already have.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Pshaw, Deathwing did it first.

Ah, so this is how we get a World of Warcraft rep.

Also, who said anything about GAMEPLAY irt the FEH part? :4pacman:
The whole match it's just the announcer saying "Deathwing Feels Players on his X side. He's About to Roll X" :4pacman:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ignoring the fact that several of those characters can't work as echoes/alts for various reasons...

If you're going to bother giving the echo characters their gameplay differences... then why not just make them full blown characters? You've already done most of the work.

All you're suggesting is...

Yeah what Osby said.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Do not bring that evil upon us!!
I guess I wasn't here for back during the days of the Ballot, but was it really so bad that people that it gives bad memories of the Smash Speculation community?

I think it does more good than bad because the Ballot is an official Poll given by Nintendo, so more Casual players and people who don't pay attention much to Speculation can cast their votes. We could see results that differ from the "Echo chamber" that's the hardcore Smash Speculation community

In any case, the Ballot is the Reason Ultimate even exists, since I Imagine alot of the votes were dominated by veterans. If you like Ultimate but don't like the Ballot, then I would argue that at some points, Some Evilness is needed to achieve a Blissful Future that benefits the people at large

What do you think?
I do Know that with every remix that Smash produces, Nintendo has some type of ownership over the track. This is even the case with just taking vocals off of a track like with the Bayonetta ones

Perhaps Sega might not like that fact, so maybe Remixes aren't that Prioritized. Plus to be honest I don't think Remixes are exactly needed for any of the Sega franchises in particular. Sonic's Music already fits Smash already and is really good

Someone already pointed out the Sonic 1 and 2 Music situation, and I don't think there's any need to go into Sonic 3.

Of course, if you believe that we will get Another Sonic character, whether it be Eggman, Tails, Shadow & Knuckles, Than we might be getting more remixes when it comes to Sonic. but that's remains to be seen

PAC-MAN really isn't known for the music as someone pointed out, so yeah there may not be interest in that front.

The problem is they're not really notable.

All of them sans Black Knight have zero following.
I'm not too familiar with the Fire Emblem Lore, so All I will say is I think Black Knight could be an interesting character in Smash. They could give him all the Super Armor and the Damage and such, but maybe make him a Super HeavyFaller where he has hard time recovering

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

Ignoring the fact that several of those characters can't work as echoes/alts for various reasons...

If you're going to bother giving the echo characters their gameplay differences... then why not just make them full blown characters? You've already done most of the work.

All you're suggesting is...

Yeah what Osby said.
Yes, I'm aware of that..but with Echoes, even stackable, we hear 'there are too many Fire Emblem characters' and the series has Roster Bloat.

Most of them would work fine if you consider the characters as 'similar but different'..I mean, if Young Link and Toon Link could be clones made off of Link, despite being different heights & weights, than anyone with similar moves could be Echoes-based Alts in this theoretical situation.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Lots of anniversaries today. lol

To put things into perspective.

In the OG Choose Your Legends Event, Black Knight was the only villain to break the top 100.

FE Villains are generally not that popular.
I'm just happy he got acknowledged as a Mii costume in the previous game. Being an Assist Trophy is just icing on the cake.

As a side note, Grima totally should have been a stage in the previous game as well. I dislike Awakening, but man that would have been so cool on the Wii U version as opposed to the generic Coliseum.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
I don't know if this helps our speculations or not but I'll just post here because I find it interesting.

Weekly sales of Smash SP (Ultimate) reported by Famitsu since its release and the dropping points of each DLCs.
The x-axis shows the week counts and the y-axis shows the number of sales (x10k). I think 2018 sales reach over the 70k point so basically the chart starts from 2019.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't know if this helps our speculations or not but I'll just post here because I find it interesting.

Weekly sales of Smash SP (Ultimate) reported by Famitsu since its release and the dropping points of each DLCs.
The x-axis shows the week counts and the y-axis shows the number of sales (x10k). I think 2018 sales reach over the 70k point so basically the chart starts from 2019.

I wonder....

Was Sephiroth the reason sales peaked in December 2020, or was it more of a Holiday rush?

That said, I'm a bit shocked that Steve has the lowest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom