• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technomage

Smash Champion
What would your reaction be if Crash was playable but two of his special moves were variations of his Spin Attack?

He did invent the Star Punch.
While I'd still be delighted to see Crash playable, I'd also be like "Ugh, it's Sonic's Spin Dashes all over again. >_<" Not a good taste you'd wanna leave in your fans' mouths.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I see people suggest Doc a lot but... as much as I absolutely adore him, I don't think he should be playable.

Instead I believe he should have a more prominent role alongside Mac. The almost fatherly coach relationship that Doc has with Mac is one of my favorite things and expanding on that relationship in Smash would be fantastic.

Something I would really love is to see him play a background role like Pokemon Trainer, I believe that'd be not only super fitting but would be very respectful toward Doc's character and his role in the series (I'd compare it to how I believe KK Slider playing on Smashville on Saturday nights is a better representation of his character than being playable could ever be). Maybe even give him a sort of codec situation... well, that's a bit of a tall order, but it would be cool.

I love that he appears in Mac's victory poses at least, and how he'll sometimes cheer Mac on during a taunt. There's definitely more you can do with that though.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Man, this reminded me that I secretly hope Next Level Games can work on Punch-Out again now that Nintendo owns them. Heck, remember when Peach was gonna be in the Wii game, but got scrapped? Maybe add some kind of female league mode. They'd get to add her in, AND they can expand upon the world. Everyone wins!
I think a Punch Out! game using female boxing could work. I'm just not sure how people would be with the female opponents being tropes/caricatures/etc, especially with outrage culture and karens existing.
Like it's sad because Punch Out! Wii's opponent, despite being caricatures and tropes, still felt very fun and alive without feeling like a mockery. Like man, so much love was put into their characters that they feel more like actual characters compared to most other characters that follow a trope or caricature.
The female side has just as much potential for tropes and caricatures to make some unique and fun female boxers, both personality and gameplay-wise. And Nintendo has experience with making distinct female characters experienced with boxing with ARMS. I just don't know exactly how they'd be received when you have people out there just trying to set off outrage/cancel bombs at any little thing, especially in regards to female characters.

7NATOR

Smash Master
In regards to Punch Out

-I personally wouldn't do King Hippo to be honest. to be personally honest, King K.Rool kind of fits some of the Archtype of King Hippo, Especially with the focus on the Belly (where both had their belly sweetspot be a Weakness, and also a threat to conquer in itself if you take Title Defense King Hippo into Account

I think whoever would be the Boss character of Punch out should be big, but also not very Laggy, So I would go with Bald Bull or Mr. Sandman

-If you wanted to make a Boss character from Punch Out playable and not just a boss, How I'd balance them is that they would have better stats than Little Mac on average: Around the same speed, Much more Stronger, Heavier, Perhaps better Aerial Game, More range, etc

Their Weakness would be that if you hit them while they are in Attack animations, they'd be much more vulnerable, either by higher knockback or Higher damage. This encourages interaction on Both sides, and also represents on how you typically defeat the bosses of Punch out

-If you wanted to have Doc Louis play a bigger role in Little Mac's Moveset, perhaps make his taunts have a percent chance of Doc Louis throwing a Chocolate bar to give to Mac.

Though to be honest, I think they did make Little Mac's Moveset to represent the boss qualities of Punch Out. this is where the Super Armor and the High damage of Mac's attacks come from. Mac doesn't do as much damage per hit in his home series as he does in Smash, unless he has KO Punch or Star Punch. Honestly in that case, I doubt Boss character from Punch Out. If anything, they'd just use Giga Mac since there's already a model made for that and such

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think Mr. Sandman would be great as a larger Little Mac clone/semi-clone, perhaps as a way to repurpose the lost Giga Mac moveset. Would add another anatagonist rep to the roster, and also would be nice from a representation standpoint as he'd be the first black human character in Smash (not counting alt skins).

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Out of every possible omission in Smash I think the one that makes me the angriest is the fact that Punch-Out doesn't have a single Assist Trophy to its name. It's a serious crime to introduce a series with that much charm and personality into Smash and not take advantage of any of them. And it's such an outlier too, Punch-Out has as many games as Mother or Kid Icarus and barely a fraction of the content.

Punch-Out just feels so sad and lonely.
That's because those series were added early into the series and Little Mac was added late. If PO and F-Zero swapped, nobody would be asking for a new F-Zero or Black Shadow, but everyone would be demanding Doc Louis or something

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
I think Mr. Sandman would be great as a larger Little Mac clone/semi-clone, perhaps as a way to repurpose the lost Giga Mac moveset. Would add another anatagonist rep to the roster, and also would be nice from a representation standpoint as he'd be the first black human character in Smash (not counting alt skins).
I think I've said this before, but I'd absolutely adore and hope that Smash introduced a few more echos after these last two fighters. It'd be a great way to see the roster expanded a tad with characters like Black Shadow, Shadow, Dixie Kong, Big Boss, Proto Man, Metal Sonic, etc. I love the idea for Mr. Sandman. He would be a great addition to this list.

Also yeah, people talk about female representation being lacking in Smash and all but we really have no black humans on the Character Select Screen.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I think a Punch Out! game using female boxing could work. I'm just not sure how people would be with the female opponents being tropes/caricatures/etc, especially with outrage culture and karens existing.
Like it's sad because Punch Out! Wii's opponent, despite being caricatures and tropes, still felt very fun and alive without feeling like a mockery. Like man, so much love was put into their characters that they feel more like actual characters compared to most other characters that follow a trope or caricature.
The female side has just as much potential for tropes and caricatures to make some unique and fun female boxers, both personality and gameplay-wise. And Nintendo has experience with making distinct female characters experienced with boxing with ARMS. I just don't know exactly how they'd be received when you have people out there just trying to set off outrage/cancel bombs at any little thing, especially in regards to female characters.
I mean, we literally just had Pythra as DLC characters in a mainstream game and they were well-received. Punch Out with female characters in this day and age will do fine, all things considered.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Do Steve and Ganon not count?
Ganondorf is more green than anything else. He wasn't talking about alts so Tennis Alex wouldn't count. Normal Steve is just tan at best. Possibly Italian or Hispanic if you want to give him any ethnicity at all.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
That's because those series were added early into the series and Little Mac was added late. If PO and F-Zero swapped, nobody would be asking for a new F-Zero or Black Shadow, but everyone would be demanding Doc Louis or something
I'm talking about nonplayable content. There's really no excuse for Punch-Out to be missing basic representation like an AT. If Punch-Out and F-Zero swapped places it would be extremely weird to be missing an F-Zero AT too. These series aren't like Ice Climbers or Duck Hunt, they have well-established casts and practically every other series of comparable size has one.

I think Punch-Out is represented just fine with Little Mac all by himself (in theory, although his moveset does a poor job at it). But the lack of additional content and care put into representing Punch-Out is what makes the series feel lonely.

Since it was used as an example, despite having one character F-Zero doesn't feel lonely because Samurai Goroh is an AT and it has a handful of stages and a very substantial music lineup (I believe nearly every song from the original F-Zero is in Smash). Punch-Out has about the same amount and quality of content as a retro series with a single game rather than a series that has three console titles and two arcade games under its belt.

Is the reason for F-Zero and Mother's substantial content because they've been here since 64? Of course it is. I'm not really saying Punch-Out should have as much as they do (there's really only one stage worth having, for example) but rather that it's at least earned itself a damn Assist Trophy lmao.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Expanding further on the topic of black representation in Smash, I decided to check other roles, such as Assist Trophies, for it, and the only one I could find is Rodin, and even then that raises a question: Since Rodin is actually a
fallen angel
, does he truly count as black, considering his human form isn't his true form?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
does he truly count as black, considering his human form isn't his true form?
I don't see why not. He presents himself as black, his human form is how he looks in Smash, so for all intents and purposes he definitely counts.

Most people probably wouldn't get into technicalities like that, if they're even aware of the context (I personally wasn't, so I just learned something new).

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Punch-Out!! having less tracks than Xenoblade did in Smash 4 is pretty weird, considering one has arcade history, retro history AND recent history. Wouldn't be hard to give it 3 more tracks so it'd at least be on par with it;
Stage cameos would've been nice. Have Bald Bull or Sandman glaring at you from behind the ring. An assist would've been even better, just for the possibility that someone ends up being taken out by Glass Joe.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Huh. I guess Rodin and Elma should hang out sometime.

Ah, but jokes aside, with that sort of thing, if you need to start getting into context from their original series that isn't particularly apparent in game, at that point it doesn't really matter. They look dark-skinned, so for all intents and purposes, players are gonna interpret them as dark-skinned. The same reasoning goes for Joker's gun.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I'd be cool with another "Punch Out !!!" rep on Smash or even better a follow up to 2009's reboot, Hell probably wouldn't mind enhanced Wii port on Switch either.

I'm not really sure how they'll tackle a sequel seeing how "Punch Out's !!!" trademark character designs would be viewed as stereotypes and can probably be considered racist and wouldn't fly in today's world.

Unfortunately seeing how a movie like Space Jam 2 is getting into some hot water for "Speedy Gonzales", I can see Nintendo tip-toeing the idea of a sequel because of certain depictions of groups of people.

Not impossible, But probably toned down significantly.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
I don't see why not. He presents himself as black, his human form is how he looks in Smash, so for all intents and purposes he definitely counts.

Most people probably wouldn't get into technicalities like that, if they're even aware of the context (I personally wasn't, so I just learned something new).
Yeah, I learned something new too, since I took a better look at his
angel
form, I now noticed that he retains traits of an African human (which he didn't do in his demon form). So maybe he does still count as black?

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Obviously the 2000s seem to be lacking a bit in terms of character representation, but who could potentially help fill in that void? Well, here are some options:

• Lloyd Irving or Yuri Lowell
  • Various Capcom characters (Dante, Phoenix Wright, the like)
  • Sora
  • Professor Layton
  • Shantae
  • Paper Mario
  • Isaac (Golden Sun)
  • Waluigi
  • Master Chief
  • KOS-MOS
  • Rhythm Heaven rep
Mind you, I think a most of these don't have much of a chance to be one of the last two characters, but it's fun to think about it.
Savvy Stylist when

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Punch-Out!! having less tracks than Xenoblade did in Smash 4 is pretty weird, considering one has arcade history, retro history AND recent history. Wouldn't be hard to give it 3 more tracks so it'd at least be on par with it;
Stage cameos would've been nice. Have Bald Bull or Sandman glaring at you from behind the ring. An assist would've been even better, just for the possibility that someone ends up being taken out by Glass Joe.
I like these suggestions a lot. Never thought about the retro medley but it makes a ton of sense.

I think the Wii boxer themes ought to be in Smash by now. The excuse I always use is that we got pretty much the entire ARMS soundtrack, which is equally creative in its use of a similar motif throughout the whole thing... so what's the hangup with Punch-Out? Give us a bunch of iterations of Minor Circuit, they all succeed at being very much their own thing. In particular I'd push for Glass Joe and Super Macho Man's themes.

Stage cameos feel like a no-brainer nowadays, I feel like Suzaku Castle feels empty for a similar reason. Had Mac or Ryu been added as Ultimate DLC for whatever reason I think they would have taken this approach. Obviously they were not - but an AT and maybe a boss battle could be fulfilling anyway. My choices would be Glass Joe as a joke AT and then King Hippo as a boss battle. I know asking for a boss is a bit of a stretch, but Punch-Out is pretty much a boss rush game anyway so I think it's fitting enough.

I'm not really sure how they'll tackle a sequel seeing how "Punch Out's !!!" trademark character designs would be viewed as stereotypes and can probably be considered racist and wouldn't fly in today's world.
They would go over just fine. The characters are fleshed out beyond their (harmless) stereotypes and are just fun in their own right. I've never seen anyone offended by Punch-Out before and it won't start now - it's not as if people aren't aware of the series nowadays considering it is playable on every Nintendo console since the Wii.

That's the key though, none of the stereotypes are outright offensive to any minority groups or anything. Punch-Out actually has some of the best black representation out of any Nintendo series for example, with Doc Louis and Mr. Sandman playing very important roles (and Disco Kid is there too). The only negative stereotypes I can think of are Glass Joe being a cowardly frenchman and Soda Popinski being a russian drunk. But despite this, Joe makes up for it with his will power and never-give-up attitude and Popinski is strong as hell. The stereotype is rarely the one and only punchline / facet of these characters.

And just for the record, nobody is offended by Speedy Gonzales either - a character celebrated by the very culture he takes after. Most of these outrage stories stem from fearmongering to push an agenda (and it works). That is the only context I've ever seen Punch-Out called offensive, never once by the party that people seem to assume would be offended by it.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'd be cool with another "Punch Out !!!" rep on Smash or even better a follow up to 2009's reboot, Hell probably wouldn't mind enhanced Wii port on Switch either.

Unfortunately seeing how a movie like Space Jam 2 is getting into some hot water for "Speedy Gonzales", I can see Nintendo tip-toeing the idea of a sequel because of certain depictions of groups of people.

Not impossible, But probably toned down significantly.
But Mexicans like Speedy Gonzales.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Huh. I guess Rodin and Elma should hang out sometime.

Ah, but jokes aside, with that sort of thing, if you need to start getting into context from their original series that isn't particularly apparent in game, at that point it doesn't really matter. They look dark-skinned, so for all intents and purposes, players are gonna interpret them as dark-skinned. The same reasoning goes for Joker's gun.
...they’ll get to meet in Ultimate Encore... I hope 🥺

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah, I learned something new too, since I took a better look at his
angel
form, I now noticed that he retains traits of an African human (which he didn't do in his demon form). So maybe he does still count as black?
For curiosity
Bayo 1 and 2 spoilers
Which of his forms are you talking about? The Bayo 1 one? or the one from 2? I'm guessing 1 because you said angel but in 2 he transforms into a demon.

Maybe I'm misremembering things because it's been a while since I played Bayonetta, but I also remember that in his angel and demon forms he is still black.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Expanding further on the topic of black representation in Smash, I decided to check other roles, such as Assist Trophies, for it, and the only one I could find is Rodin, and even then that raises a question: Since Rodin is actually a
fallen angel
, does he truly count as black, considering his human form isn't his true form?
....I mean....
Elma is in the same boat technically as well, since the body she's seen in is a robot body and not her true form.
If people are willing to count her, I don't see an issue with willing to count Rodin. Besides, Jesus isn't white, much to the chagrin of certain white Christians, so I don't see why an angel can't be black.

That said, I don't think Nintendo should really be faulted for no Black characters, considering there really aren't alot of big named Black video game characters. You do have Black characters(assuming they aren't very tanned which is a very common thing in Japanese media) in Nintendo games who are popular in their respective series, like Marina from Splatoon 2 or characters like Iris, Nessa, etc, in Pokemon, but in terms of all-around well known characters, there......are hardly any.

Technomage

Smash Champion
For curiosity
Bayo 1 and 2 spoilers
Which of his forms are you talking about? The Bayo 1 one? or the one from 2? I'm guessing 1 because you said angel but in 2 he transforms into a demon.

Maybe I'm misremembering things because it's been a while since I played Bayonetta, but I also remember that in his angel and demon forms he is still black.
Yeah, I was referring to his Bayo 1 form, which is an
angel
. But I didn't know he permanently became a demon (I thought that was actually another one of his disguises). ^^;

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
But Mexicans like Speedy Gonzales.
Oh believe me I know, (I'm Mexican), Most of us from what I've seen love/embrace him and feel proud to see him representing us in a cast iconic as Looney Tunes.

Unfortunately there are some people (some who aren't even Mexican by the way) feel that he's very racist.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Punch-Out!! no longer having an AT is annoying. It'd be easy to add someone using Little Mac's previous animations too as some kind of base to get the concept done, though you could still use someone else just fine.

To note, it's a bit misleading to say it doesn't have non-playable content. That's how it started in Smash. It's just not a thing anymore since Little Mac was upgraded in 4 from Brawl's AT status. ...That, and you know, Trophies? But really, it's dumb it never got a new AT. Even Animal Crossing got more AT's throughout it, especially when an AT lost that status to become playable. Not a lot of series who went from an AT to playable didn't have at least a new AT in its place. Dark Samus? We got some Metroid AT's. Isabelle? Yet another new AC AT. Little Mac? Uhhhhhhhhhh.

...Though not a lot of AT's actually became playable in the next game, so. Pokemon always has new Poke Balls, so Charizard doesn't really stand out among this, but you could include it too for the same point. Punch-Out!! really stands out in that regard.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
To note, it's a bit misleading to say it doesn't have non-playable content. That's how it started in Smash. It's just not a thing anymore since Little Mac was upgraded in 4 from Brawl's AT status. ...That, and you know, Trophies? But really, it's dumb it never got a new AT.
Yeah, I wasn't trying to say it doesn't have ANYTHING. It just has an underwhelming amount outside of a few spirits.

For what it's worth, I wasn't too upset about Punch-Out's situation in Smash 4. It was forgivable for a brand new series to have a small amount of content. A bit jarring I guess, I was wholly expecting some more tracks from Punch-Out Wii, but we got two brand new remixes and a really cool Boxing Ring stage with an alternate form, and the excitement of Little Mac in Smash was enough for me to forgive any other shortcomings.

It's in Ultimate where I realized that Punch-Out was an afterthought. It was one of the series to receive no new content outside of spirits, and arguably lost some content since the Captain Rainbow track could no longer play on Boxing Ring (a minor complaint, but it stands out more when now there are only like... five songs available on that stage). A few other series got the short end of the stick, particularly WarioWare off the top of my head (why was Kat & Ana cut?), but that at least had two games to increase its content to a serviceable degree. Punch-Out just felt forgotten and abandoned, it's a nonpresence in Smash.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, I wasn't trying to say it doesn't have ANYTHING. It just has an underwhelming amount outside of a few spirits.

For what it's worth, I wasn't too upset about Punch-Out's situation in Smash 4. It was forgivable for a brand new series to have a small amount of content. A bit jarring I guess, I was wholly expecting some more tracks from Punch-Out Wii, but we got two brand new remixes and the excitement of Little Mac in Smash was enough for me to forgive any other shortcomings.

It's in Ultimate where I realized that Punch-Out was an afterthought. It was one of the series to receive no new content outside of spirits, and arguably lost some content since the Captain Rainbow track could no longer play on Boxing Ring (a minor complaint, but it stands out more when now there are only like... five songs available on that stage). A few other series got the short end of the stick, particularly WarioWare off the top of my head (why was Kat & Ana cut?), but that at least had two games to increase its content to a serviceable degree. Punch-Out just felt forgotten and abandoned, it's a nonpresence in Smash.
Indeed.

...Doesn't the Boxing Ring at least have new alts now for it? Or was that a thing since 4? It does see some use among character trailers or related to characters, so the stage got a bit of neat love attached to it. Nowhere near as good as a proper PO AT though. Or new songs.

That said, I wouldn't mind King HIppo, but I would pick him for a newcomer first. He has a different character style/gimmick, so he'd add some uniqueness to the playable franchise(that, and I'm a Captain N fan, but that's just a bonus at this point for why I'd choose him). I think Glass Joe would make a cool AT. He's actually reasonably fast(not all the boxers are) and could be similar to the old AT.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
...Doesn't the Boxing Ring at least have new alts now for it? Or was that a thing since 4? It does see some use among character trailers or related to characters, so the stage got a bit of neat love attached to it. Nowhere near as good as a proper PO AT though. Or new songs.
The Boxing Ring's "Smash Circuit" form is the only alt, and that's been there since Smash 4. It does get a fair amount of attention as far as stages go - it makes sense, considering it's kind of half a Punch-Out stage and half a Smash Bros stage. I loved seeing it in Incineroar's trailer and I particularly loved seeing Mac in gorgeous CGI... even if he promptly got his ass kicked by Ken. What can I say, I'm starved for content and I'll take what I can get.

(Funny enough, both of my favorite characters in the game - Dedede and Little Mac - got destroyed in the trailers they appeared in)

That said, I wouldn't mind King HIppo, but I would pick him for a newcomer first. He has a different character style/gimmick, so he'd add some uniqueness to the playable franchise(that, and I'm a Captain N fan, but that's just a bonus at this point for why I'd choose him). I think Glass Joe would make a cool AT. He's actually reasonably fast(not all the boxers are) and could be similar to the old AT.
King Hippo would be my playable character of choice too, although part of me believes that Sakurai actually took some inspiration from him to develop some of K. Rool's moves and mechanics. Maybe not, but it helps me sleep at night. I'd also love for Glass Joe to be a joke character, but I believe Little Mac himself needs to be viable before that happens lmao.

In any case I don't really think Punch-Out needs another character either. An AT (or two!) and more music would go a long way on its own, and then if you give Doc Louis a little more presence and add a boss battle and then we're pretty much golden with just Mac and high-quality non-playable content. As mentioned earlier in the thread some stage cameos for Boxing Ring's PO form would be really nice too.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
The only negative stereotypes I can think of are Glass Joe being a cowardly frenchman and Soda Popinski being a russian drunk. But despite this, Joe makes up for it with his will power and never-give-up attitude and Popinski is strong as hell. The stereotype is rarely the one and only punchline / facet of these characters.
Soda Popinski used to be Vodka Drunkenski, making the stereotype clear. His official name becoming Soda Popinski in the Wii game makes his obsession with soda and drinking look parodial rather than a direct stereotype and it becomes alot more funny IMO when you get to the Title Defense match when his soda drinks become scientific power drinks.

That aside, as mentioned, Popinski makes up for it by being one of the strongest fighters in the series, being frickin' menacing with his native language(one of the best parts about Punch Out Wii, some of the fighters speaking their native language, like Great Tiger and Bald Bull, which makes them much more menacing), and having one of the best variations of the Punch Out Circuit theme.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
They aren't racist, they're called caricatures. They do not state any truly harmful stereotypes, and everyone I know that recognizes Punch-Out finds it funny instead of hateful. Believe me, if it was truly such an outrage, we'd have seen it years and years ago.

Like look at Macho Man, that's a funny take on American Californian culture. I'm not offended as an American.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
They aren't racist, they're called caricatures. They do not state any truly harmful stereotypes, and everyone I know that recognizes Punch-Out finds it funny instead of hateful. Believe me, if it was truly such an outrage, we'd have seen it years and years ago.
Punch-Out!! has already seen criticism directed towards its stereotyped characters. King Hippo in particular is one I remember seeing a bunch of criticism towards.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Terry just got officially announced for King of Fighters XV and he looks really really good. Better than KOXIV, thankfully, as everyone else does so far.

It's also his birthday, as someone else said a few pages before. A fitting day to reveal his KOFXV trailer.
Weird how Terry's teammates still have updated outfits but Terry's back to his classic look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom