• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Talk about ****ty game design.
you know, after I made that post I just had the random thought of a Grand Finals match in EVO with 2 Isaac's pooping all over the place, and when one of them does a cool combo with the move a bunch of grown adults in the audience start screaming and hyping themselves over actual ****.

There's a terrible part of me that almost wishes something like this could become reality...

Shroob

Sup?
you know, after I made that post I just had the random thought of a Grand Finals match in EVO with 2 Isaac's pooping all over the place, and when one of them does a cool combo with the move a bunch of grown adults in the audience start screaming and hyping themselves over actual ****.

There's a terrible part of me that almost wishes something like this could become reality...
Wario in the grand finals.

"WOW! I guess you could say, that Wario ate ****!"

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The pity of it is that stuff like Golden Sun is notable example of the mid-level or below Nintendo franchise which has really fallen off in the last couple of years, especially with the end of the 3DS then necessitating both higher costs for HD development and seemingly less investment in those kind of titles overall. Given that there are even older IP's that are dead like F-Zero or Advance Wars, its sadly not a surprise that many of the well liked 2000 era franchises on stuff like the GBA or DS haven't gotten much of a shot in the arm lately, appearances in Smash included.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Obviously the 2000s seem to be lacking a bit in terms of character representation, but who could potentially help fill in that void? Well, here are some options:

• Lloyd Irving or Yuri Lowell
  • Various Capcom characters (Dante, Phoenix Wright, the like)
  • Sora
  • Professor Layton
  • Shantae
  • Paper Mario
  • Isaac (Golden Sun)
  • Waluigi
  • Master Chief
  • KOS-MOS
  • Rhythm Heaven rep
Mind you, I think a most of these don't have much of a chance to be one of the last two characters, but it's fun to think about it.
  • No Advance Wars
  • No Chibi-Robo
  • No Lyndis
  • No Disgaea
  • No Yakuza
  • No Plants vs Zombies
  • No Souls(if we count Demons Souls as part of the Souls games)
  • No Portal
  • No Angry Birds :4pacman:

SKX31

Smash Master
And then some deity that both has a sick sense of humor and cares about Smash for some reason decides to make Isaac's poop move OP.

So that it ends up Smash Ultimate's metagame revolves around literal ****.
Talk about ****ty game design.
"BRUH, this **** literally does everything! Look, it 2 frames, its AoE covers so many tech chase options, it is ****ing plus on shield for some reason, and worst of all, its knockback scaling is through the ****ing roof! Please patch this **** ASAP, NINTENDO!"

-Hungrybox, 20XX.

Obviously the 2000s seem to be lacking a bit in terms of character representation, but who could potentially help fill in that void? Well, here are some options:

• Lloyd Irving or Yuri Lowell
  • Various Capcom characters (Dante, Phoenix Wright, the like)
  • Sora
  • Professor Layton
  • Shantae
  • Paper Mario
  • Isaac (Golden Sun)
  • Waluigi
  • Master Chief
  • KOS-MOS
  • Rhythm Heaven rep
Mind you, I think a most of these don't have much of a chance to be one of the last two characters, but it's fun to think about it.
  • No Advance Wars
  • No Chibi-Robo
  • No Lyndis
  • No Disgaea
  • No Yakuza
  • No Plants vs Zombies
  • No Souls(if we count Demons Souls as part of the Souls games)
  • No Portal
  • No Angry Birds :4pacman:
No Dota nor Kratos SMH no 2000s list is complete without those.

(:roll: )

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
The 2000s were better, but they're currently the smallest decade in the game at the moment. Meanwhile a third of the 2010s is comprised of FE characters.

For Reference:
80s: :ultgnw::ultpacman::ultmario::ultdk::ultluigi::ultlittlemac::ulticeclimbers::ultrob::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultpiranha::ultlink::ultzelda::ultsamus::ultridley::ultsimon::ultpit::ultpalutena::ultsnake::ultryu::ultken::ultmegaman::ulthero3::ultdaisy:
90s: :ultmarth::ultdoc::ultfalcon::ultyoshi::ultsonic::ult_terry::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultwario::ultfox::ultfalco::ultmetaknight::ultrichter::ultness::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultcloud::ultsephiroth::ultwolf::ultsheik::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultbanjokazooie::ultpichu:
00s: :ultvillager::ultolimar::ultroy::ultbowserjr::ulttoonlink::ultzss::ultike::ultdarksamus::ultlucas::ultlucario::ultrosalina::ultwiifittrainer::ultbayonetta:
10s: :ultshulk::ultsteve::ultdarkpit::ultrobin::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultisabelle::ultgreninja::ultinkling::ultcorrin::ultjoker::ultincineroar::ultminmin:ultpyra::ultbyleth:

Small Note: Hero's date is placed when Erdrick's debut was (DQIII) and Steve's date is placed when Minecraft's 1.0 release was.
The 2000s are definitely hurt by there not being many Nintendo IPs from that decade that stuck. Animal Crossing & Pikmin are it. Isaac has support in the Smash community, but it really doesn’t seem like Nintendo cares about Golden Sun.

There wasn’t too many notable Nintendo side characters from that decade either. The ones that exist are already here besides various Pokemon, Lyn & Midna.

Honestly, there’s not a whole lot 3rd party wise either. There’s Master Chief/Halo, Sora/Kingdom Hearts & Dante/Devil May Cry; atleast from off the top of my head. Coincidentally, they’re 3 of my most wanted characters lol. I think these 3 would do a lot to help rep that decade.

There was a lot of iconic Sony franchises from that decade, but we know why they won’t be happening (atleast anytime soon). There’s also Call of Duty, but that’ll probably never happen lol. Maybe Amateratsu/Okami or Chell/Portal as dark horses?

Edit: I forgot Phoenix Wright, he’d be cool too. I also forgot Ezio/Assassin’s Creed, I associate that series with the 2010s tbh

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
The 2000s are definitely hurt by there not being many Nintendo IPs from that decade that stuck. Animal Crossing & Pikmin are it. Isaac has support in the Smash community, but it really doesn’t seem like Nintendo cares about Golden Sun.

There wasn’t too many notable Nintendo side characters from that decade either. The ones that exist are already here besides various Pokemon, Lyn & Midna.

Honestly, there’s not a whole lot 3rd party wise either. There’s Master Chief/Halo, Sora/Kingdom Hearts & Dante/Devil May Cry; atleast from off the top of my head. Coincidentally, they’re 3 of my most wanted characters lol. I think these 3 would do a lot to help rep that decade.

There was a lot of iconic Sony franchises from that decade, but we know why they won’t be happening (atleast anytime soon). There’s also Call of Duty, but that’ll probably never happen lol. Maybe Amateratsu/Okami or Chell/Portal as dark horses?
Some other third party options for the 2000s could be Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia or Shantae, both of whom have Smash fan demand.

The 2000s still definitely have some quality options they could go with.

Last edited:
Some food for thought on the aughts rep topic. Brawl was the only Smash game to exist where the aughts were new. Melee was 2001, so it was too early. Smash 4 was late 2014, so it had a few years in the new decade to consider. Brawl was also pre-DLC, so it got fewer new characters than either game that came after it. It also had to fill out the representation of older franchises, so some of its newcomers had to pull from older decades out of necessity. In Smash 4 the aughts weren't old enough to have as much childhood nostalgia factor, and had to share the new factor with 2010-2012. Plus, the growing emphasis on third parties pulled a lot of newcomers from the 80s and 90s, when a lot of the most prolific series started. The aughts really didn't have a fair shake of it, but I don't think it was ignored because of a strong bias, but because of the timing of Smash's growth as a series.

I do think we're at the point where people are having a lot of nostalgia for that decade. At this point I feel that it should get a little more love. It doesn't mean it will happen, but now seems like the best time for it, honestly.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Some other third party options for the 2000s could be Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia or Shantae, both of whom have Smash fan demand.

The 2000s still definitely have some quality options they could go with.
They could count. Tales is weird like Persona where it debuted in the 90s but it didn’t get bigger until later though.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
On the topic of movesets, making one for Adol has been pretty interesting. Most of the time, it feels like the mindset it finding a way to fit all the character's tools and abilities into a moveset; Try and make a comprehensive representation of said character. Thing is, Adol drops all his stuff between games and grabs some new gear to replace it at the start of every new adventure. It doesn't even make sense in terms of continuity, either; He uses alchemically-created magic stones in Ys V, switches to flinging around energy blasts and laser blades in Ys VIII, and then only does some more basic movements with three magic swords in Ys VI.

In his case, it was more about trying to find what fits. I mainly took the basic "Dude with a normal-looking sword" concept and built up on it. It helps that a lot of his movements seem to have some matches in Smash, which makes it easier to go the route of "(X) attack resembles the animation of (Y)" that seems to pop up in Smash a lot. You can see the moveset here, alongside the Ys pack I've been working on for a while now.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Ys | Fantendo - Game Ideas & More | Fandom
Why yes, I indeed jumped at the chance to do some self-promotion. Why do you ask? :4pacman:
Honestly, very good job with the overall challenger pack. Maybe I'd change some things here and there but it's a really convincing idea, IMO.

A fast paced sword user focused on getting in your face and do combo strings is a very interesting concept. Besides Adol the other option that comes to my mind for a fighter like this would be a Tales character.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Is Amatseratsu still requested? Remember reading discussions about her a long while back. Okami seems to be a well liked game..which I still need to play.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Is Amatseratsu still requested? Remember reading discussions about her a long while back. Okami seems to be a well liked game..which I still need to play.
I don't think so, since the Pythra CP made quite a bit of people lose faith in getting more Capcom reps.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Ammy seems to be decently popular around here, but many felt she just didn't have enough going for her compared to other Capcom series like Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, and after Sephiroth, a third Street Fighter character. After the all-Capcom Mii wave, I don't think many are expecting her. Still, I don't think many would be complaining if she got added.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Ammy would be a fantastic choice, the thing is that between Capcom having so many cool options and Okami not being relevant in recent times, she was always seen as an underdog for the spot of next Capcom fighter.

She usually was eclipsed by Monster Hunter, Dante, and to a lesser extent Phoenix Wright. Understandable in a way, but Ammy and Okami deserve more discussion, even is she isn't likely in my eyes. It's a great and unique game, it's on Switch, and if anyone wants a similar experience to Zelda games prior to Breath of the Wild, then Okami is a must. One of the best games from the PS2 era IMO.

And the game has fantastic music, like The Sun Rises, which would be 100% the track they would use for Ammy's reveal. So ****ing beautiful:

Other cool music:

As a curiosity, I've seen quite the amount of people in the comment section of these videos supporting Amaterasu for Smash, so we're not alone.

Anyway. IDK, Okami is one of those games where I think you can easily feel the love and heart they put while making the game. Maybe it's not a 10/10 game but it sure is a damn unique game. A new entry would be so cool. Not the most likely thing but seeing how Capcom is doing recently, I think there might be a chance in the future for Okami.

SKX31

Smash Master
Ammy seems to be decently popular around here, but many felt she just didn't have enough going for her compared to other Capcom series like Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, and after Sephiroth, a third Street Fighter character. After the all-Capcom Mii wave, I don't think many are expecting her. Still, I don't think many would be complaining if she got added.
Well, no one expected Amaterasu to come to Dota 2 when Okami HD released on Steam...

Yet here we are. Sure, Amaterasu is just a Courier (the grounded Amaterasu is what one starts the match with, it soon levels up alongside your main playable character to a Flying Courier - which in Ammy's case is the flying version). But still. Even if the chance is really small, it still exists.

The only drawback with that appearance was that she was only available as a Courier for a limited time. Oh and she's effectively a support role used to supply you main playable character with your Divine Rapiers (or as Dota 2 fans call it, Davai Rapiers) and other items. Seriously, I'd 100 % play as Amaterasu in a ****ing MOBA, because Dota 2 is the kind of crazy ass game where her wacky abilities would thrive.

(Edited)

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
So I've been playing Punch-Out!! again recently. Specifically the Wii installment, and something hit me.
Mr. Sandman would make an excellent boss in Smash. You could totally get away with having him be physically huge compared to the fighters since it already feels that way in his home game.

Technomage

Smash Champion
So I've been playing Punch-Out!! again recently. Specifically the Wii installment, and something hit me.
Mr. Sandman would make an excellent boss in Smash. You could totally get away with having him be physically huge compared to the fighters since it already feels that way in his home game.
Ah yes, I remember people discussing Punch-Out bosses in Smash, though it was mostly just King Hippo.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Ah yes, I remember people discussing Punch-Out bosses in Smash, though it was mostly just King Hippo.
I like King Hippo (I like all of these clowns) but Mr. Sandman does a much better job of representing Punch-Out!!'s other side of the ring than what he would, seeing as he's a one-off gimmick opponent.
Mr. Sandman is the quintessential human beast that gives the Punch-Out!! titles that David and Goliath edge. Bald Bull could also work for this.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
I like King Hippo (I like all of these clowns) but Mr. Sandman does a much better job of representing Punch-Out!!'s other side of the ring than what he would, seeing as he's a one-off gimmick opponent.
Good point. Plus, Sandy's more intimidating than Hippo is.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Ammy would be a fantastic choice, the thing is that between Capcom having so many cool options and Okami not being relevant in recent times, she was always seen as an underdog for the spot of next Capcom fighter.

She usually was eclipsed by Monster Hunter, Dante, and to a lesser extent Phoenix Wright. Understandable in a way, but Ammy and Okami deserve more discussion, even is she isn't likely in my eyes. It's a great and unique game, it's on Switch, and if anyone wants a similar experience to Zelda games prior to Breath of the Wild, then Okami is a must. One of the best games from the PS2 era IMO.
To add to this, Okami on Switch is the definitive way to play it, specifically tabletop mode. That touch screen functionality turns a game that I admired but had issues with to one that that's immensely enjoyable and become one very best Switch ports out there.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Man, this reminded me that I secretly hope Next Level Games can work on Punch-Out again now that Nintendo owns them. Heck, remember when Peach was gonna be in the Wii game, but got scrapped? Maybe add some kind of female league mode. They'd get to add her in, AND they can expand upon the world. Everyone wins!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Man, this reminded me that I secretly hope Next Level Games can work on Punch-Out again now that Nintendo owns them. Heck, remember when Peach was gonna be in the Wii game, but got scrapped? Maybe add some kind of female league mode. They'd get to add her in, AND they can expand upon the world. Everyone wins!
With the main character of that mode being Doc Louis’s hypothetical daughter?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I disagree - King Hippo being a "gimmick" opponent is precisely why he represents the series so well. And furthermore, calling him a one-off is a bit reductive as he's one of the most iconic opponents in the entire series.

Don't get me wrong, Mr. Sandman is great. I'd love to see him appear in Smash somehow too, but King Hippo is a really fantastic portrayal of some of the most significant elements of Punch-Out.

1) His "gimmick" is clear-cut and quite exaggerated, making him a simpler foe but one that very clearly conveys the essence of each boss. They're all gimmicky, and they've all got a central weakness to exploit. Sandman honestly doesn't convey this too well... meanwhile, King Hippo quite literally has a big fat target on his gut. In the context of a Smash boss fight, it's VERY easy to implement and imagine how it could play out. It would be just like a Punch-Out fight, in its purest form! Go for the jaw and let him have it!

2) He's the perfect foil to Little Mac. Speedy lightweight, light on his feet and lands quick jabs VS a wall of flesh that can barely move but packs a serious (albeit slow) punch. In all fairness, Mr. Sandman does do this quite well too. But...

3) He's just funny. Punch-Out's opponents are goofy cartoony caricatures. Mr. Sandman is one of the most serious ones in the game. It makes him a serious threat and a FANTASTIC final opponent in the context of Punch-Out itself, but when discussing who could play a prominent role in Smash I feel someone so over the top dumb and goofy like King Hippo does a much better job showing the series' signature personality and sense of humor.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
God, out of all the Nintendo IPs out there, even with the likes of F-Zero, Sin and Punishment, Wario Land, Murasame Castle, etc, all of which I'd absolutely love to see come back, I think what I really want the most is a new Punch-Out

And with how much Punch-Out Wii paid homage to the NES game, I think it'd be interesting to see a new Punch-Out that really embraces the fact that it's a new Punch-Out. I wanna see what national stereotypes they pull out this time :yeahboi:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
A Punch Out equivalent to the Pokéball where activating it producers a random fighter from the NES/, SNES, or Wii games would be an amazing addition to Smash, albeit a very unlikely one.
Out of every possible omission in Smash I think the one that makes me the angriest is the fact that Punch-Out doesn't have a single Assist Trophy to its name. It's a serious crime to introduce a series with that much charm and personality into Smash and not take advantage of any of them. And it's such an outlier too, Punch-Out has as many games as Mother or Kid Icarus and barely a fraction of the content.

Punch-Out just feels so sad and lonely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom