• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I have my personal preferences, but I'd take any main game protagonist over a Chocobo.
Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with you; sometimes it'd seem better to add a protagonist than a generic enemy/NPC, especially if said protagonists are popular.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The 2010 decade has gotten a fair amount of characters, but I wish it was more diverse than what it is. I think FE alone makes up more than a quarter of all its reps.

The 2000s were a lot better at this IMO.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Having a unique moveset is not a bad thing. It just feels like it's the end all be all when people argue about who should get in when they don't have any attachment to said characters. If a character I loved made it in but are extremely unfun for the sake of being unique it's a bit disappointing. Sure, I'd still be happy they made it in, but going too hard in the unique direction can hurt their gameplay.

Like, I'm very happy Banjo & Kazooie are in. Some would call their moveset a bit boring, but that doesn't bother me. They feel right at home and the one so called gimmick feels natural. Along with having their charm and personality in their animations.

Pyra and Mythra were my absolute dream selection. I didn't want them with Rex because #1 I didn't want a confusing character if they functioned like Ice Climbers, and #2, I didn't want them to be relegated to a background role like Pokémon Trainer. What we got instead was a character that plays traditional enough, but has unique differences to make them stand out while being exceptionally fun (for me at least).

Uniqueness is as much of a curse as it is a blessing. Unique traits are a good thing, but having a character feel foreign in the game is not. I know there are people who love Ryu/Ken and Terry, but I simply won't touch them. Same with Min Min. I'll take characters that have similar neutral attacks with more interesting specials any day of the week.
I think fan movesets are a good example, more often than not, they're focused on going "Oooh look at the funny reference and how unique this guy is" instead of something more cohesive. For example, back in the day I made a super ****ty Isaac moveset where he'd use Psynergy for everything, sure, he'd absolutely use it, but I only added it all to go "See look how different he is!" All cause I was insecure a move being too similar would get me shunned for 'underselling' the character. I remember that happening to an old K.Rool moveset of mine because I had the audacity to give him a counter when he'd be sooo much more unique than those filthy counter heavy generic anime sword users. Guess I got the last laugh on that one though

kylexv

Smash Master
The 2010 decade has gotten a fair amount of characters, but I wish it was more diverse than what it is. I think FE alone makes up more than a quarter of all its reps.

The 2000s were a lot better at this IMO.
The 2000s were better, but they're currently the smallest decade in the game at the moment. Meanwhile a third of the 2010s is comprised of FE characters.

For Reference:
80s: :ultgnw::ultpacman::ultmario::ultdk::ultluigi::ultlittlemac::ulticeclimbers::ultrob::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultpiranha::ultlink::ultzelda::ultsamus::ultridley::ultsimon::ultpit::ultpalutena::ultsnake::ultryu::ultken::ultmegaman::ulthero3::ultdaisy:
90s: :ultmarth::ultdoc::ultfalcon::ultyoshi::ultsonic::ult_terry::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultwario::ultfox::ultfalco::ultmetaknight::ultrichter::ultness::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultkazuya::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultcloud::ultsephiroth::ultwolf::ultsheik::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultbanjokazooie::ultpichu:
00s: :ultvillager::ultolimar::ultroy::ultbowserjr::ulttoonlink::ultzss::ultike::ultdarksamus::ultlucas::ultlucario::ultrosalina::ultwiifittrainer::ultbayonetta:
10s: :ultshulk::ultsteve::ultdarkpit::ultrobin::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultisabelle::ultgreninja::ultinkling::ultcorrin::ultjoker::ultincineroar::ultminmin:ultpyra::ultbyleth:

Small Note: Hero's date is placed when Erdrick's debut was (DQIII) and Steve's date is placed when Minecraft's 1.0 release was.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Say, a bit random, but how do people feel about Frogger in Smash? I don't know why, but the idea has been popping up in my head recently. I don't think he's likely at this point, and yet...
From what I remember, Frogger literally only jumps and uses his tongue, so I'd need a moveset to convince me he's a worthwhile addition despite his history. I can at least imagine a street stage with cars running the fighters over being nice to look at and rather fun

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
From what I remember, Frogger literally only jumps and uses his tongue, so I'd need a moveset to convince me he's a worthwhile addition despite his history. I can at least imagine a street stage with cars running the fighters over being nice to look at and rather fun
yeah I think some franchises are better off as stages, I can't really envision an elektroplankton character anyway.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as the pass I have to judge the first four by two categories; their presence in the game itself and how they play.

Min Min
Presence: Neutral leaning positive. I didn't play too much of ARMS outside the demo (could never shake the sense that I wished it was a multiplayer Punch Out spin-off) but it is a distinct new Nintendo IP and I'll always be happy that new franchises are getting some sort of spotlight.
How they play: Fairly happy. She's relatively simple, but still feels distinct and as someone fond of utilizing the Belmont whip, getting another fighter within that wheelhouse is a plus.

Steve
Presence: Neutral with an asterisk. Never been a Minecraft guy, however as someone who was put off by the fights about Banjo vs. Steve I was happy that fans of the latter managed to get their character in eventually.
How they play: A pleasant surprise overall. The Sakurai presentation had me fairly skeptical, I admit. Playing as him though, has been an enjoyable novelty; the nature of mining, making weapons, and planting TNT fits within my playstyle, even if I can't say I'm always proficient with him.

Sephiroth
Presence: Intellectually I recognized his value. Emotionally as someone getting a bit of FFVII fatigue, I would have preferred literally anyone other Final Fantasy game get a rep. Thus his inclusion was a bit of disappointment, albeit one I knew made sense.
How they play: Pretty great actually. The length and impact of Masamune alone does make him easy to jump in as a fighter and his particular gimmick stands out without being distracting. Probably the character I'm best at using in the second pass.

Pyra/Mythra
Presence: Pretty neutral. Not really a Xenoblade fan, yet their designs in Smash do work and the means/execution of their reveal was at least done far better than the likes of Byleth. Plus the franchise felt like it deserved another character.
How they play: A very effective duo, probably the most fun transformation character in Smash thus far. Both seem like they work well for various scenarios and knowing which one to utilize feels really intuitive.

Basically as characters in and of themselves, nothing that really excited me. As fighters however they're all fun in their own ways; doing better in the latter category than the first pass did.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
If they were willing to use his anthropomorphic design, they MIGHT be able to make something work using those games. Thing is, I never played those games, so...

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Basically as characters and of themselves, nothing that really excited me. As fighters however they're all fun in their own ways; doing better in the latter category than the first pass did.
I think that years down the line, by the time we have our SSB6, this here is the detail we'll all remember. Just how they played and if they were any fun to have on screen.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
The 2000s were better, but they're currently the smallest decade in the game at the moment. Meanwhile a third of the 2010s is comprised of FE characters.

For Reference:
80s: :ultgnw::ultpacman::ultmario::ultdk::ultluigi::ultlittlemac::ulticeclimbers::ultrob::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultpiranha::ultlink::ultzelda::ultsamus::ultridley::ultsimon::ultpit::ultpalutena::ultsnake::ultryu::ultken::ultmegaman::ulthero3::ultdaisy:
90s: :ultmarth::ultdoc::ultfalcon::ultyoshi::ultsonic::ult_terry::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultwario::ultfox::ultfalco::ultmetaknight::ultrichter::ultness::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultcloud::ultsephiroth::ultwolf::ultsheik::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultbanjokazooie::ultpichu:
00s: :ultvillager::ultolimar::ultroy::ultbowserjr::ulttoonlink::ultzss::ultike::ultdarksamus::ultlucas::ultlucario::ultrosalina::ultwiifittrainer::ultbayonetta:
10s: :ultshulk::ultsteve::ultdarkpit::ultrobin::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultisabelle::ultgreninja::ultinkling::ultcorrin::ultjoker::ultincineroar::ultminmin:ultpyra::ultbyleth:

Small Note: Hero's date is placed when Erdrick's debut was (DQIII) and Steve's date is placed when Minecraft's 1.0 release was.
we've only got one 00's rep this game, and she's a clone. Dissapointing.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Well, if there's one thing the internet is great at, it's coming up with Smash movesets for literally any character.

Second Pic by EvilWaluigi

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I meant the OTHER anthropomorphic design. The one that DOESN'T hurt to look at...
Honestly I completely forgot about it. It's cute enough but then again I'd need a good moveset to fill in the blanks, though tongue lashes and kicks would likely end up as a primary theme for his normals, which now that I think about it, can be pretty fun too

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

For Reference:
90s: :ultmarth::ultdoc::ultfalcon::ultyoshi::ultsonic::ult_terry::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultwario::ultfox::ultfalco::ultmetaknight::ultrichter::ultness::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultcloud::ultsephiroth::ultwolf::ultsheik::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultbanjokazooie::ultpichu:

Damn, when put like this, the sheer variety of 80s and 90s franchises compared to 2000s and 2010s astounds me even more than the amount of characters itself.

80s: :ultgnw::ultpacman::ultmario::ultdk::ultlittlemac::ulticeclimbers::ultrob::ultlink::ultsamus::ultsimon::ultpit::ultsnake::ultryu::ultmegaman::ulthero3::ultcloud:(16) -> I'm using Cloud to represent FF as a whole here
90s: :ultmarth::ultfalcon::ultyoshi::ultsonic::ult_terry::ultkirby::ultwario::ultfox::ultness::ultpikachu::ultjoker::ultbanjokazooie: (12) -> Likewise, I'm using Joker to rep Persona as a whole here.
2000s: :ultvillager::ultolimar::ultwiifittrainer::ultbayonetta: (4)
2010s: :ultshulk::ultsteve::ultinkling::ultminmin (4)

New series are only about a third of the 2000s and 2010s selection.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Part of the issue is that many of the franchises that have emerged within the last 20 years are ones with inconsistent staying power or simply aren't practical to get in Smash for one reason or another. If Sony IP's were on the table that potential 2000s list probably gets a lot bigger.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
On the topic of movesets, making one for Adol has been pretty interesting. Most of the time, it feels like the mindset it finding a way to fit all the character's tools and abilities into a moveset; Try and make a comprehensive representation of said character. Thing is, Adol drops all his stuff between games and grabs some new gear to replace it at the start of every new adventure. It doesn't even make sense in terms of continuity, either; He uses alchemically-created magic stones in Ys V, switches to flinging around energy blasts and laser blades in Ys VIII, and then only does some more basic movements with three magic swords in Ys VI.

In his case, it was more about trying to find what fits. I mainly took the basic "Dude with a normal-looking sword" concept and built up on it. It helps that a lot of his movements seem to have some matches in Smash, which makes it easier to go the route of "(X) attack resembles the animation of (Y)" that seems to pop up in Smash a lot. You can see the moveset here, alongside the Ys pack I've been working on for a while now.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Ys | Fantendo - Game Ideas & More | Fandom
Why yes, I indeed jumped at the chance to do some self-promotion. Why do you ask? :4pacman:

Last edited:

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
If they were willing to use his anthropomorphic design, they MIGHT be able to make something work using those games. Thing is, I never played those games, so...
Yeah but using that design means it isn't the Frogger most people know and care about. Pac Man works as he transforms into his classic pizza shape and also already had that limb look on his arcade machine.

You could probably make a pretty creative classic Frogger moveset like a special that just send cars in to run people over but I'd personally rather see some other new series get a fighter spotlight from Konami instead.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Damn, when put like this, the sheer variety of 80s and 90s franchises compared to 2000s and 2010s astounds me even more than the amount of characters itself.

80s: :ultgnw::ultpacman::ultmario::ultdk::ultlittlemac::ulticeclimbers::ultrob::ultlink::ultsamus::ultsimon::ultpit::ultsnake::ultryu::ultmegaman::ulthero3::ultcloud:(16) -> I'm using Cloud to represent FF as a whole here
90s: :ultmarth::ultfalcon::ultyoshi::ultsonic::ult_terry::ultkirby::ultwario::ultfox::ultness::ultpikachu::ultjoker::ultbanjokazooie: (12) -> Likewise, I'm using Joker to rep Persona as a whole here.
2000s: :ultvillager::ultolimar::ultwiifittrainer::ultbayonetta: (4)
2010s: :ultshulk::ultsteve::ultinkling::ultminmin (4)

New series are only about a third of the 2000s and 2010s selection.
Thank goodness I have the solution right here.

Time to Split compressed.gif

This guy will boost the 2000's period to total of 5 series. Incredible!

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
Obviously the 2000s seem to be lacking a bit in terms of character representation, but who could potentially help fill in that void? Well, here are some options:

• Lloyd Irving or Yuri Lowell
  • Various Capcom characters (Dante, Phoenix Wright, the like)
  • Sora
  • Professor Layton
  • Shantae
  • Paper Mario
  • Isaac (Golden Sun)
  • Waluigi
  • Master Chief
  • KOS-MOS
  • Rhythm Heaven rep
Mind you, I think a most of these don't have much of a chance to be one of the last two characters, but it's fun to think about it.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Well, if the last few pages have shown us anything, we are lacking in GBA/DS characters, and also lacking in characters from the 2000s.

Man, wouldn't it be something if we had a character that could remedy both those problems at once? Wouldn't that be just crazy?

if only such a character existed...coughISAACcough...

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Well, if the last few pages have shown us anything, we are lacking in GBA/DS characters, and also lacking in characters from the 2000s.

Man, wouldn't it be something if we had a character that could remedy both those problems at once? Wouldn't that be just crazy?

Isaac?

Bold choice to include a Dead Space rep after the series died but I'd be down for it.

:4pacman:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Say, a bit random, but how do people feel about Frogger in Smash? I don't know why, but the idea has been popping up in my head recently. I don't think he's likely at this point, and yet...
Yooka-Laylee would be more interesting than Frogger.

Why do you want Frogger?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
On the topic of movesets, making one for Adol has been pretty interesting. Most of the time, it feels like the mindset it finding a way to fit all the character's tools and abilities into a moveset; Try and make a comprehensive representation of said character. Thing is, Adol drops all his stuff between games and grabs some new gear to replace it at the start of every new adventure. It doesn't even make sense in terms of continuity, either; He uses alchemically-created magic stones in Ys V, switches to flinging around energy blasts and laser blades in Ys VIII, and then only does some more basic movements with three magic swords in Ys VI.

In his case, it was more about trying to find what fits. I mainly took the basic "Dude with a normal-looking sword" concept and built up on it. It helps that a lot of his movements seem to have some matches in Smash, which makes it easier to go the route of "(X) attack resembles the animation of (Y)" that seems to pop up in Smash a lot. You can see the moveset here, alongside the Ys pack I've been working on for a while now.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Ys | Fantendo - Game Ideas & More | Fandom
Why yes, I indeed jumped at the chance to do some self-promotion. Why do you ask? :4pacman:
Honestly, I've been thinking a lot and I genuinely think Adol having 3 movesets is the best way to go, it gives him a lot of variety in terms of what he can do and can really sell how different each of the 3 weapon types are, have the basic sword also use the typical 3 types of elemental magic for his specials while the greatsword and rapier get to use a variety of Skills from the party games, greatsword having slower attacks but more impact while the rapier attacks have Adol zip around like a speedy lad at the cost of noodle hitboxes and needing to be more precise.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Obviously the 2000s seem to be lacking a bit in terms of character representation, but who could potentially help fill in that void? Well, here are some options:

• Sora
  • Professor Layton
  • Shantae
  • Paper Mario
  • Isaac (Golden Sun)
  • Waluigi
  • Master Chief
  • KOS-MOS
  • Rhythm Heaven rep
Mind you, I think a most of these don't have much of a chance to be one of the last two characters, but it's fun to think about it.

Andy and Neku

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
i've never seen that design, i don't even know which one you're talking about; could you post it please?
Look a few posts up.

Frogger went for a humanoid design for awhile which wasn't really well received.
No I meant this one
Frogger_-_The_Great_Quest_Coverart.png

The other one is honestly fine
So what you're saying is that if your name is Isaac, your series is destined to die?

But, what if your series.....lives?

He's in

View attachment 307650
A new definition to Smash fan tears...

Ivander

Smash Legend

For Reference:

For those wondering about Alternate costume characters:
80s: :ultlarry::ultroy2::ultwendy::ultiggy::ultmorton::ultlemmy::ultludwig:
90s: :ulthero4:
00s: :ultpokemontrainerf::ulthero2:
10s: :ultalph::ulthero:

Also, if we include Miis in general, :ultmiifighters: would be a 2000s character.

Technomage

Smash Champion

• Sora
  • Professor Layton
  • Shantae
  • Paper Mario
  • Isaac (Golden Sun)
  • Waluigi
  • Master Chief
  • KOS-MOS
  • Rhythm Heaven rep
Here's more we could add to that list:

Chibi-Robo
Cooking Mama

Well, looks like I couldn't come up with much. ^^;

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Sadly, Isaac feels like one of those characters that, should they fail to be in Ultimate, will never have a chance of being playable in another Smash game again (especially since third-party characters and cut veterans will dominate fan requests for the next game).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom