• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I know it's unrelated to Smash but thought it would be cool to share here, I figure a lot of you guys might be interested in free games if you have a PS4 and/or a PC

10 free games for PS4 including Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition, AstroBot Rescue Mission (VR) or The Witness, no Playstation Plus needed, you'll keep those games forever

2 free Tomb Raider games for PC

Ratchet & Clank is also free to claim on PS4/PS5 btw.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
If we're talking NES characters, there's also Bubble Bobble. Everyone forgets Bubble Bobble...
they're a square character, they can't compete.

i want them in but i threw in the towel before i was born for them, i really don't believe we'll get them until we're on our 6th FF character and we have 5 more bigger square franchises already in.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
So Jet's Irish?

Fascinating...
So not only is Ireland canon to Sonic, so is the Catholic Church.

Makes you think, doesn't it?
The concept of the ancient spacefaring civilization of Babylon being Irish has... interesting lore implications.
... Okay, I'm going with the massive crackpot theory that Babylon hardcommited to a Science win (getting a spaceship to a planet 50 lightyears away), but the Irish were such a cultural powerhouse in the Sonic canon that Babylonians started to follow the trendsetters. Civilization game rules, that's how.

So, this:

Lead to this:

:4pacman:

If we're talking NES characters, there's also Bubble Bobble. Everyone forgets Bubble Bobble...
Might be just due to them being not the first things hardcore fans think off when they consider the NES - usually it's Ninja Gaiden, Battletoads or Contra when it comes to NES games considered difficult, for example. Bubble Bobble doesn't stick out as much IIRC.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Happy St. Patty's Day!

And thus idiots around the world go on to do large St. Patrick parties and gatherings unmasked spreading the virus more...Because god forbid thinking of the safety of others trying to take the precautions...:glare:

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I know it's unrelated to Smash but thought it would be cool to share here, I figure a lot of you guys might be interested in free games if you have a PS4 and/or a PC

10 free games for PS4 including Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition, AstroBot Rescue Mission (VR) or The Witness, no Playstation Plus needed, you'll keep those games forever

2 free Tomb Raider games for PC

Ratchet & Clank is also free to claim on PS4/PS5 btw.
I'll signal boost Enter the Gungeon.
Extremely ****ing good game.

ZelDan

Smash Master

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think people arguing about new characters based on how unique they are is extremely faulty. It starts to feel less and less about being happy a CHARACTER you want made it in Smash and it becomes more so a checklist of seeing what move varies just enough from other characters to where they pass this "check" system so it's ok to put them in the game.

There's really only so many ways someone can punch or slash you. There are 80 characters in the roster. At this point the only thing to really differentiate character moves is with their B specials. If we get another brawler you can bet they're gonna share several moves that look similar to a lot of other brawlers on the roster.
I just want my favorite characters. Uniqueness is just a way that I can try to justify their inclusions when there is really no other logical reason they should get in 🤫.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
"Wait, there's new content for Animal Crossing?"

"Yes. They added farting. You can now fart around others"

"Farting!? ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?"
Why did I imagine that as a Codec conversation?

:ultsnake:: "Colonel, what's this new update for Animal Crossing?"
Colonel: "Apparently, you can now interact with other players by...farting, of all things."
:ultsnake:: "By...farting? Are you kidding?!"
Colonel: "Sadly, no. I am not kidding."

ZelDan

Smash Master
Why did I imagine that as a Codec conversation?

:ultsnake:: "Colonel, what's this new update for Animal Crossing?"
Colonel: "Apparently, you can now interact with other players by...farting, of all things."
:ultsnake:: "By...farting? Are you kidding?!"
Colonel: "Sadly, no. I am not kidding."
Well, that's basically what I was aiming for with my post, so yeah...

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
You guys and your NES reps

I’m sitting here wanting the DS generation to get more love 🥺
As much as I love when Smash revives NES reps, the GBA/DS era is tragically underrepresented in Smash. It's one of the reasons why I was so on-board with Chorus Kids, Ashley, Grovyle, and especially Isaac, Lyn, and Neku getting in during basegame speculation.

I used to feel the same way about the N64 era until we got OoT Ganondorf, Young Link, and Wolf back, alongside the inclusion of B&K. Now I'd say that generation is represented rather well, all things considering. It's like the late-2000s handheld era is the last big chunk of Nintendo history missing from Smash these days.

Which makes it all the more frustrating that so many great icons from that time technically are in the game...as ATs...

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Grossly off-topic, but:
It seems WarioWare has come a long way :4wario:
More New Horizons news, the one year Anniversary is on Marth 20th and their sending cake to mailboxes in celebration for those who downloaded the latest update.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
As much as I love when Smash revives NES reps, the GBA/DS era is tragically underrepresented in Smash. It's one of the reasons why I was so on-board with Chorus Kids, Ashley, Grovyle, and especially Isaac, Lyn, and Neku getting in during basegame speculation.

I used to feel the same way about the N64 era until we got OoT Ganondorf, Young Link, and Wolf back, alongside the inclusion of B&K. Now I'd say that generation is represented rather well, all things considering. It's like the late-2000s handheld era is the last big chunk of Nintendo history missing from Smash these days.

Which makes it all the more frustrating that so many great icons from that time technically are in the game...as ATs...
Phoenix Wright could be another GBA/DS generation representative

though it is nice that a lot of DS faves are Spirits like... heckin Kyle Hyde who’s still a Spirit even tho CING no longer exists.

where the FRICK is my Trauma Center representation tho why must you pretend it doesn’t exist Atlus

and yes I do have a Trauma Center content support thread if you’re interested

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Phoenix Wright could be another GBA/DS generation representative

though it is nice that a lot of DS faves are Spirits like... heckin Kyle Hyde who’s still a Spirit even tho CING no longer exists.

where the FRICK is my Trauma Center representation tho why must you pretend it doesn’t exist Atlus

and yes I do have a Trauma Center content support thread if you’re interested
Both Phoenix and Prof. Layton were legitimate icons on the DS. I'd love to see either of them join, no matter how unlikely it looks now.

I just want Konami to throw us a Django from Boktai Mii Gunner costume...

ZelDan

Smash Master

I feel like the 2000's in general aren't as represented as they could or should be.

Hell, aren't there more playable characters from the 2010's than there are the 2000's?

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I just hope Banjo & Kazooie aren't the only non-human DLC characters. Besides Sephiroth this Fighters Pass has been pretty weak so far so I hope the last two challenger packs will have better characters.
Not only that, But I really want to see another fighter in the fighter pass with a lot of personality, exaggerated expressions and oversized fist/limbs when they fight.

Banjo-Kazooie is really the only one who brought that via DLC and Crash Bandicoot immediately comes to mind when I think of character slaptick style and fighting.

acz77mz6bhe51.jpg
SSB4_-_Diddy_Kong_Screen-6.jpg
ddfqrnr-61ac1fe6-4ea1-40f8-a7b6-bb5268a9b201.png

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Not only that, But I really want to see another fighter in the fighter pass with a lot of personality, exaggerated expressions and oversized fist/limbs when they fight.

Banjo-Kazooie is really the only one who brought that via DLC and Crash Bandicoot immediately comes to mind when I think of this character style and fighting.

View attachment 307634View attachment 307635View attachment 307636
My most wanted fits that description perfectly and was even designed by the same guy that created modern Donkey Kong and Diddy (Battletoads).

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

7NATOR

Smash Master
I feel like the 2000's in general aren't as represented as they could or should be.

Hell, aren't there more playable characters from the 2010's than there are the 2000's?
With Pyra/Mythra, I believe it's the same amount, with an edge toward 2000's

17 for each decade. This is also counting Luminary and Eight into their respective decade and Counting Pyra/Mythra as seperate, but if you count the Mii's, which originated with Wii, than that's more characters for the 2000's

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You guys and your NES reps

I’m sitting here wanting the DS generation to get more love 🥺
Yeah, it always struck me as odd that the DS was the big success it was but there is one character and only a handful of stages from it.
Sure has a lot of assist trophies though.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Banjo-Kazooie is really the only one who brought that via DLC and Crash Bandicoot immediately comes to mind when I think of this character style and fighting.

Almost every character since Plant has shown off personality. Personality doesn't mean "goofy preschool cartoon character". Also, your last point doesn't even apply to all your examples

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Rare characters in general have a lot of expression portrayed in Smash.

The Many Faces Of Smash [King K Rool 1] | Smash Ultimate Amino

Makes me wish we could've seen her in action....
Dixie Kong | Smashboards

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Doom Slayer can now canonically ride a dragon as a part of his up-special and I will not take any criticisms against this trailer cause this is IN-****in-CREDIBLE!
Imagine being so powerful and feared that the Dark Lord himself apes your look but still has to get into a Warhammer 40K style suit just to fight you.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I think people arguing about new characters based on how unique they are is extremely faulty. It starts to feel less and less about being happy a CHARACTER you want made it in Smash and it becomes more so a checklist of seeing what move varies just enough from other characters to where they pass this "check" system so it's ok to put them in the game.

There's really only so many ways someone can punch or slash you. There are 80 characters in the roster. At this point the only thing to really differentiate character moves is with their B specials. If we get another brawler you can bet they're gonna share several moves that look similar to a lot of other brawlers on the roster.
Eh. There's something to be said for having a unique moveset, so you don't need a character to be gimmicky. :ultryu: is a traditional fighting game character put into Smash. So if you wanna put :ult_terry: in, he has to be different beyond the minutia of frame data and hitboxes. So they gave him Super Specials, and some people find that gimmicky. You could argue a similar idea for a character like :ultbanjokazooie:; without any immediately distinct characteristics, they emphasized Wonderwing as this resource-based trump card. I don't personally find it that impactful, but Sakurai used it as an example of "finding new ways to play" with all the dlc characters, so it's clearly important to him.

IMO if a character isn't obviously unique in some way, they're more likely to come with some additional mechanic to differentiate them from the cast. Sometimes it works fine, like with :ultcloud: or :ultjoker:, but there's higher risk of making a fighter feel like a gimmick. Smash guns hard for the "celebration of gaming" angle these days, but they also have to mesh with the rest of the cast in the context of a fighting game.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Almost every character since Plant has shown off personality. Personality doesn't mean "goofy preschool cartoon character". Also, your last point doesn't even apply to all your examples
yeah, I don't see how you could look at the likes of Joker, Terry, Min Min or Sephiroth and say the have no style or personality.

Last edited:

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman

Banjo-Kazooie is really the only one who brought that via DLC and Crash Bandicoot immediately comes to mind when I think of character slaptick style and fighting.

Call me old fashioned, but I love the 'toon' characters in Smash. Something about the ways these guys, Wario and Luigi are animated I just find so endearing.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
yeah, I don't see how you could look at the likes of Joker, Terry, Min Min or Sephiroth and say the have no style or personality.
Honestly, even Steve, who doesn't emote at all, shows such strong characterization by coming across as deadpan and constantly minding his own business, like, "I'm gonna build a house right now, don't give a **** about this yellow rat next to me". I remember seeing a post about this go in great detail about how he's essentially your average Minecraft player and honestly, that's fantastic

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Both Phoenix and Prof. Layton were legitimate icons on the DS. I'd love to see either of them join, no matter how unlikely it looks now.

I just want Konami to throw us a Django from Boktai Mii Gunner costume...
AA is returning so that's good.

Technomage

Smash Champion
The first two Dissidias were great, with 012 being the best in my opinion. NT feels like such a step down in almost every way :c
Don't forget Opera Omnia; that's the best Final Fantasy crossover EVER! For example, it's gameplay is pretty similar to that of the classic FF games; also, since character movesets are simplified, SE has been able to add a LLLLLLOOOOOOT of characters. :D

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Eh. There's something to be said for having a unique moveset, so you don't need a character to be gimmicky. :ultryu: is a traditional fighting game character put into Smash. So if you wanna put :ult_terry: in, he has to be different beyond the minutia of frame data and hitboxes. So they gave him Super Specials, and some people find that gimmicky. You could argue a similar idea for a character like :ultbanjokazooie:; without any immediately distinct characteristics, they emphasized Wonderwing as this resource-based trump card. I don't personally find it that impactful, but Sakurai used it as an example of "finding new ways to play" with all the dlc characters, so it's clearly important to him.

IMO if a character isn't obviously unique in some way, they're more likely to come with some additional mechanic to differentiate them from the cast. Sometimes it works fine, like with :ultcloud: or :ultjoker:, but there's higher risk of making a fighter feel like a gimmick. Smash guns hard for the "celebration of gaming" angle these days, but they also have to mesh with the rest of the cast in the context of a fighting game.
Having a unique moveset is not a bad thing. It just feels like it's the end all be all when people argue about who should get in when they don't have any attachment to said characters. If a character I loved made it in but are extremely unfun for the sake of being unique it's a bit disappointing. Sure, I'd still be happy they made it in, but going too hard in the unique direction can hurt their gameplay.

Like, I'm very happy Banjo & Kazooie are in. Some would call their moveset a bit boring, but that doesn't bother me. They feel right at home and the one so called gimmick feels natural. Along with having their charm and personality in their animations.

Pyra and Mythra were my absolute dream selection. I didn't want them with Rex because #1 I didn't want a confusing character if they functioned like Ice Climbers, and #2, I didn't want them to be relegated to a background role like Pokémon Trainer. What we got instead was a character that plays traditional enough, but has unique differences to make them stand out while being exceptionally fun (for me at least).

Uniqueness is as much of a curse as it is a blessing. Unique traits are a good thing, but having a character feel foreign in the game is not. I know there are people who love Ryu/Ken and Terry, but I simply won't touch them. Same with Min Min. I'll take characters that have similar neutral attacks with more interesting specials any day of the week.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
So curious, who has gotten first in Super Mario Bros. 35 at least once before it gets taken down?

Pillow

Smash Lord
But the question is which one to rep, Final Fantasy has a ton of characters and goig forward it'll probably be the 3rd party with the most reps, just who to add though? I see Gilgamesh, Terra, Kefka, Vivi, Zidane, Squall, Tidus, (Auron would be cool too), Yuna, and Noctis as the only viable character right now however using a basic class from the old games is possible too.

if you were to add three Final Fantasy character to smash who would you add?

I say three because i couldn't decide which to use, anyway im putting Down Gilgamesh, Terra and Fat Chocobo!!!!! but actually my real last one would probably be Tidus or someone from 10 even though I much prefer 9.
I have my personal preferences, but I'd take any main game protagonist over a Chocobo. Squall, Terra, Tidus, even Lightning, I really wouldn't mind any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom