• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Here is my updated list of Smash veterans for a new Smash title. Worth noting that I will be including Echo fighters if the original fighter is present.
My choices are based on the character's legacy, their importance to their series, and their likely future.

Super Mario: :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser:
Donkey Kong: :ultdk::ultkrool:
Legend of Zelda: :ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:
Metroid: :ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultridley:
Yoshi: :ultyoshi:
Kirby: :ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:
Star Fox: :ultfox:
Pokemon: :ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpokemontrainer::ultmewtwo::ultgreninja:
Mother: :ultness:
F-Zero: :ultfalcon:
Fire Emblem::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultrobin::ultbyleth:
Kid Icarus::ultpit::ultdarkpit:
Wario Ware/Land: :ultwario:
Pikmin::ultolimar:
Animal Crossing::ultvillager::ultisabelle:
Xenoblade::ultshulk::ultpyra:
ARMS::ultminmin
Retro::ultgnw::ultrob:
Third Party::ultsonic:

39 Smash veterans not including Echo Fighters.
That's the same number of fighters in Brawl.
Feel free to critique and ask questions and I'll answer to the best of my ability.
UPDATE: I have removed Little Mac and put R.O.B. back in.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Look, all I'm saying is... if Mr. Yabuki asking was enough to push Nintendo and Sakurai to picking Min Min as an entire playable character...

it's not too hard to imagine Mr. Takahashi saying "Sakurai, please add in a black/red 'villain' color and a blue/white 'heroic' color, thank you."

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Here is my updated list of Smash veterans for a new Smash title. Worth noting that I will be including Echo fighters if the original fighter is present.
My choices are based on the character's legacy, their importance to their series, and their likely future.

Donkey Kong: :ultdk::ultkrool:

39 Smash veterans not including Echo Fighters.
That's the same number of fighters in Brawl.
Feel free to critique and ask questions and I'll answer to the best of my ability.
UPDATE: I have removed Little Mac and put R.O.B. back in.
uhhhh where's inkling?

also i would put bayonetta above sonic since it's a Nintendo franchise but at the same time not really,

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Sonic is really overdue for a second rep at this point.
Ever seen Eggman dancing with his shirt off (but pants on?)
I have and it ain't pretty.

uhhhh where's inkling?

also i would put bayonetta above sonic since it's a Nintendo franchise but at the same time not really,
$#!+! You're right!
How did I forget about them!?

Donkey Kong: :ultdk:
Splatoon::ultinkling:

I fixed it!
NOW RATE IT!

Last edited:

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Donkey Kong: :ultdk:
Splatoon::ultinkling:

I fixed it!
NOW RATE IT!
I think it's a pretty good roster, well done. The only change I can see myself making is probably swapping out Mewtwo for either Diddy Kong, Wii Fit Trainer or Pac-Man

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Look, all I'm saying is... if Mr. Yabuki asking was enough to push Nintendo and Sakurai to picking Min Min as an entire playable character...

it's not too hard to imagine Mr. Takahashi saying "Sakurai, please add in a black/red 'villain' color and a blue/white 'heroic' color, thank you."

I think you overestimate how much Takahashi cares about Smash, or even how much he cares about games he's finished making.
On the discussions of getting Shulk into Smash Bros. and the bathing suit skin idea…

Mr. Takahashi: New characters for Super Smash Bros. are determined by Mr. [Masahiro] Sakurai. Nintendo had released several new RPG games around 2010, but it sounds like Xenoblade Chronicles stuck out to him in particular due to its high quality and popularity. He also had the idea that Monado Arts can be used to change Shulk’s nature in battles, allowing him to add new and completely different elements to the character that other fighters don’t have. The Shulk bathing-suit skin was also an idea from Mr. Sakurai.
GamesBeat: We’ve had Shulk in Smash Bros. That must be a neat thing to see. Now we know Nintendo is doing downloadable content for Smash Bros. Would you like to see Xenoblade Chronicles X characters in Smash as well?

Takahashi:
I’m not entirely sure, but you could always ask Mr. Sakurai about that. [laughs]
“In terms of Xenoblade Chronicles X, there’s been a few different changes that were made to the game, but my personality is such that I’m not a stickler for products that I’ve already made, so I don’t really mind what the final product turns out to be in that sense,” Takahashi told me. “I really didn’t mind much at all, actually.”
Takahashi: ... One other thing is that I get bored of things pretty easily and want to try other things. Looking back, “Xenogears”, “Xenosaga”, and “Xenoblade” all being different, as you said, are probably manifestations of me wanting to do something, then becoming bored of it.
Takahashi: For example, when I write up the script, after I’ve written it, I just don’t really care anymore.
Hashino: That might actually be similar to me. In my case, I can never remember the finished game. After we’ve finalized the game, and all that’s left is debugging, my memories from there start to fade. When I get asked in interviews, I often forget and say, “How did we go about that?”.

Takahashi: Oh, I have that too. I’m an otaku, so I like building model kits. Not just building it, but modifying it, coloring it, getting all of that and work on it hard, but once it’s done, I feel like, “Eh, I think I’m done with this”. Sometimes I even give it away to people. It’s fun when I’m making it. But once I’m done, I just don’t really care anymore.

Hashino: That is indeed similar. Are you the kind of person who doesn’t really have merchandise from your own games around your desk area?

Takahashi: Well, there’s an image I have to maintain for the company [so I have to]. (laughs) It isn’t a great look if the leader of development just abandons the game once it’s done, so I do display those sorts of things to show that I love the games.

Hashino: I actually don’t display those kinds of things. They make me lose interest. I feel like if it’s there, I’m going to be dragged down by my past games.

Takahashi: Yes, and that’s why I don’t have any of that at my house. Now my employees will know. (laughs)
Like I cannot imagine this guy giving a single damn about what colours Pyra and Mythra are. He doesn't own his own merch, he doesn't keep model kits after making them, he doesn't care about censorship or localization. At every turn he insists that he does not care about what he's already made. Even the bathing suit for Shulk was Sakurai's idea. He DOES debug a ton so he likes playing the games he makes, but it's not like Gears or Saga or even Blade 1 live rent free in his head like they do in fan's.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Case in point.

Well when you say ignorant things about a character and put them down it's natural for people to tell you why you're wrong.

And Hunter is in Infinite.

"But that's an exception and they never got permission (citation needed)!"

Etc etc. I'm done having this circular conversation every other day, lmao.
You mean you are tired of people providing evidence that proves your claims incorrect yet refusing to acknowledge that you are wrong, so rather than admit that you are incorrect you will just back out of the conversation and act as if you won somehow.

As someone who LOVES Monster Hunter and is iffy on Imran's statements about Byleth and a Hunter, I actually already said Monster Hunter wasn't happening as far back as Pass 1's initial reveal in 2018, and in 2020 I did the research on it to find evidence of the Monster Hunter team's bias against the Hunter as proper crossover representation. This lead me to an interview with I think Seth Killian in which the aforementioned 'They said no for MvC3' took place, of which I have screenshotted and saved somewhere on my PC. I also took the time to look up crossovers and easter eggs as well, and it shares a similar story.

The FF14 crossover features Rathalos and none of the gear looks like standard hunter gear, although I can confirm that the MH devs didn't stop Square from using the designs but rather Square wanted to have their own take. Not sure if hunters show up in FF14 as story elements.

Capcom's own crossover card game Teppen actually has three characters to play as from MH: Rathalos, Nergigante, and a Felyne/Palico. Not a single hunter in sight. More over, most of the cards in the game have no art of the hunter in them (only like 2 or 3 of them do) and most of the cards reference other monsters, items, Palico moves and events.

There are also crossovers with Dragalia Lost, MGS1, Puzzles and Dragons and some others...and each time, they focus on the monsters, the armor/weapons (which are made of the monsters), or the Felynes/Palicos because of how cute they are.

Smash Ultimate itself is proof of this, as Rathalos got it's own Boss Stage and is a part of Classic Mode and WoL seemingly almost randomly in addition to being an Assist Trophy and yet we didn't get anything else until this Mii Costume Wave. If MH was going to get a character, there was only one way for it to really happen, and that would have been with the Palico being the playable character. Based off some speculation and rumors I heard I was actually thinking of coming back to this thread and admitting that MH COULD get a character if they went this route and that I could be wrong about MH not getting a character, but I didn't post it here and forgot all about it only to end up being right on my initial stance.

See, regardless of whether or not they had permission or not to put in MH as a playable character in Infinite, it doesn't matter: what matters is it IS IN FACT the exception to the rule, and when they did it it didn't pan out well. Infinite was a flop, the character doesn't represent the series in terms of using more than one weapon in combat, a lot of people apparently didn't like the voice actor, and on top of that she was on-disc DLC that was locked behind a paywall despite clearly being in the base game since she was part of the story. This all lead to a bad experience with her in addition to the game itself being a bad experience, and when you consider this was the FIRST TIME they broke away from the norm and it bombed, I'm sure you can understand them going right back to how they did things before.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speaking of being right, in my friend groups off this site I actually called both the Monster Hunter costumes coming back with Pyra/Mythra despite how much sense having Lloyd's costume return here as he is also an anime swordsman from another popular RPG series. This marks either the second or third time I've called which returning Mii Costumes will come with who, the last time I recall being when I said only Gil would return by himself with Steve. I find it funny how they were brought back with a new Felyne hat to celebrate Rise when everyone here SWORE it would be a playable Hunter to celebrate Rise. Once again, so many of you fall and die on the "New Game On Switch = Character In Ultimate" hill and yet still I see so many folks swearing we will get a Gen 8 Mon despite all the facts being against it. I was also right on my statement that all the returning Capcom costumes would come back with non-Capcom characters.

Also, just to clear the air here, these costumes don't deconfirm MH as playable: MH was NEVER going to be playable, or if you believe Imran Khan, they were but got scrapped and some of their design was used for Byleth. These two costumes were always going to return just to complete having all the old 3rd party costumes and make all these companies more money with little effort, so honestly MH's chances were dead way before this MCW.

Hey, speaking of being right...again...you all remember when I said many pages back before the presentation that Rex not being playable was likely just a design choice? Turns out I was right about that too! I knew that Sakurai was likely going to come out and say why it wasn't Rex and that it would have nothing to do with the Mii Costume because Sakurai is a creative and intelligent developer and doesn't think as simply as many of you all do, which is why I said I'd go after him and criticize him if the costume was the reason.

Now I did say it was probably because Rex just wasn't as popular and the girls were, but as it turns out it was due to limitations. This means that they original wanted Rex to fight alongside Pyra/Mythra but the game couldn't handle it, so they went with just the girls but went the extra step to make a model for Rex to be featured in their intro animation, taunts, Final Smashes and the majority of their victory animations.

Do you guys understand what this means?

IT MEANS THAT THE MII COSTUME WASN'T A DECIDING FACTOR, POSSIBLY NOT EVEN A FACTOR AT ALL.

This is something I have been trying to get so many Smash speculators to understand all this time, which is that so long as there is new content, nothing is off the table and no bit of content will stop Sakurai and his team from making something happen.

Also, this confirms that Mii Costumes DO NOT DECONFIRM even in the slightest, even for those of you in the back. I know you have likely moved the goalpost to be 'Well, 1st party and 3rd party are different, so 3rd party costumes still deconfirm' even though that makes absolutely no sense and is just the exasperated flailing of someone desperately trying to be in the right somehow but it's just over now.

Spirits don't deconfirm.
Costumes don't deconfirm.
Assist Trophies don't deconfirm.

The only thing that deconfirms a character's chance is the end of development...and I have some spicy stuff regarding that as well, but I'll save that for another post.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Idk why but I randomly remembered something real quick

in I think 2019, wasn’t there a Smash Bros. Copyright filed for... a mobile game of all things? Maybe I’m misremembering...

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Just got done playing classic mode with Pyra/Mythra and gotta say this character might be the most boring dlc character to play.. I think byleth might even be more interesting to play as :/

I think I enjoy their side b and that’s really it..
I still think Plant takes the cake for most boring DLC character to play.

And then that's followed by Banjo and Min Min

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I do remember something like that. If it does somehow become a thing I’d definitely play it provided it keeps Microtransactions out.
I wonder if it’ll be like the Skullgirls mobile game

maybe announcing that after pass 2 is over... wonder what it’ll entail

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I wonder if it’ll be like the Skullgirls mobile game

maybe announcing that after pass 2 is over... wonder what it’ll entail
I've been thinking about the idea of a Smash bros. Mobile game, I think the best course of action is to have different gameplay than the main console game, because then they can focus on what makes the mobile game unique rather then trying to fit the original game into a form factor that doesn't fit it.

For what that gameplay could be well.... A smash bros. moba would be pretty radical IMO

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think you overestimate how much Takahashi cares about Smash, or even how much he cares about games he's finished making.

Like I cannot imagine this guy giving a single damn about what colours Pyra and Mythra are. He doesn't own his own merch, he doesn't keep model kits after making them, he doesn't care about censorship or localization. At every turn he insists that he does not care about what he's already made. Even the bathing suit for Shulk was Sakurai's idea. He DOES debug a ton so he likes playing the games he makes, but it's not like Gears or Saga or even Blade 1 live rent free in his head like they do in fan's.
Well then I suppose it's Sakurai himself or someone over at Nintendo or Smash Developers that recommended those colors. :drshrug:

I just think 2 colors, (5 and 6) both of which that are next to each other, both of which retain the same color scheme for either the transformations, being 2 of 3 costumes that change the lights and gems, and both coincidentally having the same colors as objects from another game with the "Xeno-" prefix.

I'm no xeno- fan or what have you, in fact I had to be shown the images to actually believe it, but in my mind the likelihood that those two colors are just a quaint reference to something is greater than two alt costumes that share several random features with each other, just so happen to also line up in color scheme perfectly with something somewhat related and there was no methodology behind it.

Personally I haven't found anything bright red and white could be referencing nor could the gold and silver and I'll happily say those are probably just there because they look good. 5 and 6 bookending 4 canonical references though feels about right though.

To me, this would feel like Joker's alt costumes being in order purple, red, blue, yellow NOT being a reference to Persona 1, 2, 3, and 4. It's possible, but man I wouldn't believe those odds.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You mean you are tired of people providing evidence that proves your claims incorrect yet refusing to acknowledge that you are wrong, so rather than admit that you are incorrect you will just back out of the conversation and act as if you won somehow.

This is something I have been trying to get so many Smash speculators to understand all this time, which is that so long as there is new content, nothing is off the table and no bit of content will stop Sakurai and his team from making something happen.

Also, this confirms that Mii Costumes DO NOT DECONFIRM even in the slightest, even for those of you in the back. I know you have likely moved the goalpost to be 'Well, 1st party and 3rd party are different, so 3rd party costumes still deconfirm' even though that makes absolutely no sense and is just the exasperated flailing of someone desperately trying to be in the right somehow but it's just over now.
This isn't the convincing evidence you think it is since most people recognize Rex's situation is without valid parallel and aligns him closer to base game content than the DLC costumes which followed in terms of planning. The lynchpin you're seeking has to be a character in the actual same situation.

You can continue proselytizing if you want, and we'll see how things end up regarding DLC costumes and the remaining two characters.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

As someone who LOVES Monster Hunter and is iffy on Imran's statements about Byleth and a Hunter, I actually already said Monster Hunter wasn't happening as far back as Pass 1's initial reveal in 2018, and in 2020 I did the research on it to find evidence of the Monster Hunter team's bias against the Hunter as proper crossover representation. This lead me to an interview with I think Seth Killian in which the aforementioned 'They said no for MvC3' took place, of which I have screenshotted and saved somewhere on my PC. I also took the time to look up crossovers and easter eggs as well, and it shares a similar story.

The FF14 crossover features Rathalos and none of the gear looks like standard hunter gear, although I can confirm that the MH devs didn't stop Square from using the designs but rather Square wanted to have their own take. Not sure if hunters show up in FF14 as story elements.

Capcom's own crossover card game Teppen actually has three characters to play as from MH: Rathalos, Nergigante, and a Felyne/Palico. Not a single hunter in sight. More over, most of the cards in the game have no art of the hunter in them (only like 2 or 3 of them do) and most of the cards reference other monsters, items, Palico moves and events.

There are also crossovers with Dragalia Lost, MGS1, Puzzles and Dragons and some others...and each time, they focus on the monsters, the armor/weapons (which are made of the monsters), or the Felynes/Palicos because of how cute they are.

Smash Ultimate itself is proof of this, as Rathalos got it's own Boss Stage and is a part of Classic Mode and WoL seemingly almost randomly in addition to being an Assist Trophy and yet we didn't get anything else until this Mii Costume Wave. If MH was going to get a character, there was only one way for it to really happen, and that would have been with the Palico being the playable character. Based off some speculation and rumors I heard I was actually thinking of coming back to this thread and admitting that MH COULD get a character if they went this route and that I could be wrong about MH not getting a character, but I didn't post it here and forgot all about it only to end up being right on my initial stance.

See, regardless of whether or not they had permission or not to put in MH as a playable character in Infinite, it doesn't matter: what matters is it IS IN FACT the exception to the rule, and when they did it it didn't pan out well. Infinite was a flop, the character doesn't represent the series in terms of using more than one weapon in combat, a lot of people apparently didn't like the voice actor, and on top of that she was on-disc DLC that was locked behind a paywall despite clearly being in the base game since she was part of the story. This all lead to a bad experience with her in addition to the game itself being a bad experience, and when you consider this was the FIRST TIME they broke away from the norm and it bombed, I'm sure you can understand them going right back to how they did things before.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speaking of being right, in my friend groups off this site I actually called both the Monster Hunter costumes coming back with Pyra/Mythra despite how much sense having Lloyd's costume return here as he is also an anime swordsman from another popular RPG series. This marks either the second or third time I've called which returning Mii Costumes will come with who, the last time I recall being when I said only Gil would return by himself with Steve. I find it funny how they were brought back with a new Felyne hat to celebrate Rise when everyone here SWORE it would be a playable Hunter to celebrate Rise. Once again, so many of you fall and die on the "New Game On Switch = Character In Ultimate" hill and yet still I see so many folks swearing we will get a Gen 8 Mon despite all the facts being against it. I was also right on my statement that all the returning Capcom costumes would come back with non-Capcom characters.

Also, just to clear the air here, these costumes don't deconfirm MH as playable: MH was NEVER going to be playable, or if you believe Imran Khan, they were but got scrapped and some of their design was used for Byleth. These two costumes were always going to return just to complete having all the old 3rd party costumes and make all these companies more money with little effort, so honestly MH's chances were dead way before this MCW.

Hey, speaking of being right...again...you all remember when I said many pages back before the presentation that Rex not being playable was likely just a design choice? Turns out I was right about that too! I knew that Sakurai was likely going to come out and say why it wasn't Rex and that it would have nothing to do with the Mii Costume because Sakurai is a creative and intelligent developer and doesn't think as simply as many of you all do, which is why I said I'd go after him and criticize him if the costume was the reason.

Now I did say it was probably because Rex just wasn't as popular and the girls were, but as it turns out it was due to limitations. This means that they original wanted Rex to fight alongside Pyra/Mythra but the game couldn't handle it, so they went with just the girls but went the extra step to make a model for Rex to be featured in their intro animation, taunts, Final Smashes and the majority of their victory animations.

IT MEANS THAT THE MII COSTUME WASN'T A DECIDING FACTOR, POSSIBLY NOT EVEN A FACTOR AT ALL.

Spirits don't deconfirm.

The only thing that deconfirms a character's chance is the end of development...and I have some spicy stuff regarding that as well, but I'll save that for another post.
Look, I get you're REALLY passionate about this, but Rex was a unique case: he wasn't treated the same as the other DLC costumes.

Mii Costumes DO deconfirm, the sooner you accept that, the better.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Idk why but I randomly remembered something real quick

in I think 2019, wasn’t there a Smash Bros. Copyright filed for... a mobile game of all things? Maybe I’m misremembering...
After the miscommunication with the Golden Sun trademark, I'm not putting any stock into it until there's a major development. Until it actually starts progressing through the steps of a trademark - And not just having it get passed - it won't mean anything.

Technomage

Smash Champion
In my crazy dream world we're getting a late April direct because The Great Ace Attorney is supposed to release in April and I want Phoenix to be revealed alongside the localization announcement. But if I had to guess, early May sounds about right. Then again, Pyra and Mythra were released a lot earlier than I expected so perhaps late April isn't absurd to consider.

Isn't it a school night
Yeah, but to be fair, not all of us go to school anymore.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I just think 2 colors, (5 and 6) both of which that are next to each other, both of which retain the same color scheme for either the transformations, being 2 of 3 costumes that change the lights and gems, and both coincidentally having the same colors as objects from another game with the "Xeno-" prefix.

I'm no xeno- fan or what have you, in fact I had to be shown the images to actually believe it, but in my mind the likelihood that those two colors are just a quaint reference to something is greater than two alt costumes that share several random features with each other, just so happen to also line up in color scheme perfectly with something somewhat related and there was no methodology behind it.

Personally I haven't found anything bright red and white could be referencing nor could the gold and silver and I'll happily say those are probably just there because they look good. 5 and 6 bookending 4 canonical references though feels about right though.

To me, this would feel like Joker's alt costumes being in order purple, red, blue, yellow NOT being a reference to Persona 1, 2, 3, and 4. It's possible, but man I wouldn't believe those odds.
Any acknowledgement from Sakurai would be a huge tipping point. We know that Sakurai is a huge fan of Persona because he's mentioned starting with Persona 1 and gushed about the whole series after hugging Morgana. In comparison I can't find a single quote of him acknowledging Xenosaga or Xenogears. When he spoke about viable Bandai Namco reps in Smash 4, he mentioned Heihachi and literally no-one else, not even Kos-mos. He's made more Shin Megami Tensei references than Xenosaga or Gears references (he paraphrased the Cathedral of Shadows welcome when showcasing Spirit fusion at a Nintendo Live in 2018 and outright mentions it by name in that Persona video).

So I'm agnostic to the possibility of them being references. I just don't see the point of assuming them to be.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
For today's PotD, we have Monster Hunter

Shroob

Sup?

Spirits don't deconfirm.

Mate, it's just a game.

Relax, take a deep breath.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
We're entering wall of text territory so let me get this straightened out...

Geno's mii costume was included along with Square Enix owned character Sephiroth and fellow Mii costumes Aerith, Tifa, Barrett, and chocobo hat.
We can all agree on this. This is not arguable.

Now there are 2 interpretations on what this means:

Possibility 1: Geno's one of the last 2 DLC characters.
-That would mean content from SMRPG was planned by Nintendo for both Sephiroth's DLC Pass and an SMRPG DLC Pass several months down the line.​
-That would also mean Nintendo chose to add Geno after a version of him was included in the same pass.​
>This implies Geno's mii costume is a sort of red herring to lower a small section of the fanbase's expectations in order to surprise them later as a sort of marketing ploy.​
-This would also make Geno the first character to be a second 3rd party character added in the same pass, the 4th unique 3rd party character, and also not just the first mii costume upgrade within the same game, but also the same pass.​
-All this on top of disproving myriad arguments people have already had for why they don't think Geno is likely which I will not go over because we've heard enough.​
Possibility 2: Geno's mii costume returns from Smash 4 as a continued consolation prize for SMRPG fans along with Geno's base-game spirit.
-I have nothing to add.​
Personally, I'd go with Occam's razor buy the 2nd possibility more, but that's just me.

Possibility 3: IT'S MALLOW TIME BAY-BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I’m 110% sure if Sakurai could get Cloud and Sephiroth from notoriously protective Square, battling the insane rights problem with Hero, and getting Konami to give them Snake, Simon, and Richter, that had Sakurai wanted a Monster Hunter Fighter in the game, he would’ve gotten a Monster Hunter in the game. Using a quote from, what, a decade ago(?) doesn’t really prove much of anything aside from this strange tendency with disconfirming characters so other characters, personally preferred characters, seem more likely. And that’s fine but it’s not always the reason we think it is and stating speculation as fact ends up being quite controversial no matter what.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Look, I get you're REALLY passionate about this, but Rex was a unique case: he wasn't treated the same as the other DLC costumes.

Mii Costumes DO deconfirm, the sooner you accept that, the better.
This isn't the convincing evidence you think it is since most people recognize Rex's situation is without valid parallel and aligns him closer to base game content than the DLC costumes which followed in terms of planning. The lynchpin you're seeking has to be a character in the actual same situation.

You can continue proselytizing if you want, and we'll see how things end up regarding DLC costumes and the remaining two characters.
Oh look, I was right AGAIN! You guys are already moving the goalpost yet again. When will you learn, Smash community, when will you learn that your actions have consequences...and that those consequences are that you are always wrong and that your methods make this community on par with League of Legends of most disliked and toxic community.

Btw C chocolatejr9 I'm sure many people said the same thing to the great minds of our past and current times. 'Just do as the masses say and accept you are wrong regardless of the validity of it.' Welp, many of them did not, and neither will I.

Oh, by the way, here's another one for ya: Lloyd's costume is coming back, and it's absence doesn't increase his chances of being playable/it's inclusion doesn't decrease his chances of being playable. How do I know this? For the same reason I've already argued before, which is that literally every other third-party costume has returned and it's just there to make the came feel more complete and recycle assets to make more bucks. Before XenoBooba Chronicles 2 we were only missing three of the third-party returning costumes...now we are only missing one. They were always going to have all of them return and all 11 characters were decided on sometime after March 2018 and the old costumes were split up in waves to fill in gaps or where they fit in best.

So, for any of you who were/are screaming about Lloyd 'surviving' like PapaGenos and others...well, you both are and aren't wrong.

Shroob

Sup?
Oh look, I was right AGAIN! You guys are already moving the goalpost yet again. When will you learn, Smash community, when will you learn that your actions have consequences...and that those consequences are that you are always wrong and that your methods make this community on par with League of Legends of most disliked and toxic community.

Btw C chocolatejr9 I'm sure many people said the same thing to the great minds of our past and current times. 'Just do as the masses say and accept you are wrong regardless of the validity of it.' Welp, many of them did not, and neither will I.

Oh, by the way, here's another one for ya: Lloyd's costume is coming back, and it's absence doesn't increase his chances of being playable/it's inclusion doesn't decrease his chances of being playable. How do I know this? For the same reason I've already argued before, which is that literally every other third-party costume has returned and it's just there to make the came feel more complete and recycle assets to make more bucks. Before XenoBooba Chronicles 2 we were only missing three of the third-party returning costumes...now we are only missing one. They were always going to have all of them return and all 11 characters were decided on sometime after March 2018 and the old costumes were split up in waves to fill in gaps or where they fit in best.

So, for any of you who were/are screaming about Lloyd 'surviving' like PapaGenos and others...well, you both are and aren't wrong.

I mean, real talk, I don't think anyone here cares if we're right or not, we're just here to have fun. If you wanna boast about being super right all the time, feel free, we'll be over here having fun.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
bottom text

Ivander

Smash Legend
For today's PotD, we have Monster Hunter
And this is where I'd do my Monster Hunter Swordfighter vs Rathalos battle.....If I could do Boss Rematch and not have to do a World of Light run just to do one boss battle with one character I want to use!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Listen, buddy, I need to ask you a VERY important question, and how you respond may potentially affect my opinion on you:

How can I be moving the goalpost about something I've been saying since DAY ONE?

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
User was warned for this post
We're entering wall of text territory so let me get this straightened out...

Geno's mii costume was included along with Square Enix owned character Sephiroth and fellow Mii costumes Aerith, Tifa, Barrett, and chocobo hat.
We can all agree on this. This is not arguable.

Now there are 2 interpretations on what this means:

Possibility 1: Geno's one of the last 2 DLC characters.
-That would mean content from SMRPG was planned by Nintendo for both Sephiroth's DLC Pass and an SMRPG DLC Pass several months down the line.​
-That would also mean Nintendo chose to add Geno after a version of him was included in the same pass.​
>This implies Geno's mii costume is a sort of red herring to lower a small section of the fanbase's expectations in order to surprise them later as a sort of marketing ploy.​
-This would also make Geno the first character to be a second 3rd party character added in the same pass, the 4th unique 3rd party character, and also not just the first mii costume upgrade within the same game, but also the same pass.​
-All this on top of disproving myriad arguments people have already had for why they don't think Geno is likely which I will not go over because we've heard enough.​
Possibility 2: Geno's mii costume returns from Smash 4 as a continued consolation prize for SMRPG fans along with Geno's base-game spirit.
-I have nothing to add.​
Personally, I'd go with Occam's razor buy the 2nd possibility more, but that's just me.

Possibility 3: IT'S MALLOW TIME BAY-BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I appreciate someone else being openly positive and logical about Geno's possibilities. It's usually just 'He's dead' no matter what the situation is with no valid arguments, a bunch of flawed statements that have already been disproven, and autistic screeching coming from someone who isn't the me despite I'm the one most qualified to do so. I'm not sure Occam's Razor applies here, but that's only because I haven't delved deep enough into this to determine it. Even so, Occam's Razor is merely a tool that suggests the easier-to-explain and simpler answer is USUALLY more correct, but there are plenty of times where the one that seems less possibly is in fact what happened.

Mate, it's just a game.

Relax, take a deep breath.
This would imply that I'm upset, but I can assure you I'm not, I'm just not filtering myself to stop from calling a stupid spade a stupid spade anymore.

It's a good way to try and win an argument though: imply that the opponent is emotionally wound up and not coherent and therefore their argument is weak or invalid.

Also I'm breathing rather well, thank you for asking. :)

Shroob

Sup?
I appreciate someone else being openly positive and logical about Geno's possibilities. It's usually just 'He's dead' no matter what the situation is with no valid arguments, a bunch of flawed statements that have already been disproven, and autistic screeching coming from someone who isn't the me despite I'm the one most qualified to do so. I'm not sure Occam's Razor applies here, but that's only because I haven't delved deep enough into this to determine it. Even so, Occam's Razor is merely a tool that suggests the easier-to-explain and simpler answer is USUALLY more correct, but there are plenty of times where the one that seems less possibly is in fact what happened.

This would imply that I'm upset, but I can assure you I'm not, I'm just not filtering myself to stop from calling a stupid spade a stupid spade anymore.

It's a good way to try and win an argument though: imply that the opponent is emotionally wound up and not coherent and therefore their argument is weak or invalid.

Also I'm breathing rather well, thank you for asking. :)
I'm not arguing though. Everyone here is just here to relax, have fun and enjoying a sense of community with people who like stuff that they like, you're the one going "I'M RIGHT, LOOK AT ME! MY FACTS ARE CORRECT!"

....ya want a cookie? They're chocolate chip. We have a whole plate of em next to the punch bowl.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Tbh I don’t really see why DLC costumes have to disconfirm, although I can understand why people think that for the costumes that came with Hero and every character afterwards (and I agree when it comes to Pass 2’s costumes and later Pass 1), since they came after Pass 2 was supposedly greenlit and I’m not sure if that means the plans were finished or if Sakurai and his team were given the “go ahead.”

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Like, technically Sakurai could add Geno as a fighter after revealing a DLC costume.

but I really don't think Sakurai would do that. If he was going to have Geno playable I'd think he wouldn't bother wasting any time or effort on the DLC Mii costume at that point.

So if you want to be REAAAALLYY technical, than sure, geno's chances aren't 0%, but, I'd say they are probably 1%...at best...if you're feeling generous.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Listen, buddy, I need to ask you a VERY important question, and how you respond may potentially affect my opinion on you:

How can I be moving the goalpost about something I've been saying since DAY ONE?
It depends on what your stance is now from what your stance was Day 1.

Specifically referring to Mii Costumes here and not Spirits or Assist Trophies or anything else, do you still think that every single Mii Costume deconfirms?

If you do, and that was your Day 1 stance, then I would say you haven't moved any goalposts but that you really are thinking about this much too simplistically. In otherwords, you may not have changed the argument, but I still believe you are incorrect due to being close-minded to plenty of evidence to the contrary.

Now, if your stance has changed at all from this, like 1st Party doesn't deconfirm but 3rd Party does, or anything else other than 'All Mii Costumes deconfirm their character' then I will say you have moved the goalpost from your original argument. This would be seeing evidence that directly contradicts your stance and yet rather than just acknowledging you COULD be wrong and expanding your mental horizons, you instead change up your argument ever the slightest and still insist that you are right.

The former I disagree with slightly respectfully, but the latter I find to be egregious behavior that keeps Smash speculation from evolving even more than the former. Allowing something like that absolutely kills speculation because it's more focused on being right no matter the cost and even changing the goals to try and stay right than it is about true speculation and trying to find the evidence and the truth.

ForsakenM ForsakenM I get it. We can be presumptuous sometimes and we often get things wrong, but isn't that part of the fun? That is the nature of speculation where we only have bits and pieces of info here and there to help us make predictions. Lighten up dude.

Also, real mature calling Xenoblade 2 XenoBooba.
Yeah, it was a lame joke. I like lame jokes though. Xenoblade 2: Electric Boobaloo would have been better though.

Also, to take this comment more seriously and to address how I said people are more focused on being right, you might try to point out how I bragged about being right. Sure, some of that is a 'haha, told ya so' braggart moment to be sure, but that all stems from my desire to show others better ways to speculate that aren't so limiting and divisive and my irritation coming from how many times I see people make the same mistakes and insist their way is right.

When I point out how I was right, it's less about me and more about how showing that the way I was looking at things and speculating and researching got results and frequently does, whereas the current method used by the masses of Smash speculation often ends up being wrong, isn't well researched at all and focuses primarily on massive hand-waving and exclusion.

If someone comes into this thread to speculate about a characters chances, instead of being encouraging and open-minded, this thread actively tries to shutdown speculation they think is wrong about characters they think are deconfirmed. You can't bring up Geno around here because his costume kills him despite nothing pointing to that being the case BECAUSE the majority says so, and if you do they will be quick to crackdown on you. Travis Touchdown falls into the same boat, and don't forget that before Min Min if you speculated about a character that has a Spirit you were speculating incorrectly because it could never happen.

Also, these 'bits and pieces' aren't approached in a way that's constructive. Every time I approach this thread when we have news that opens the doors for more characters than what we are talking about, it's always the same: either the same information is spun in a way that closes the doors (Even if it doesn't make sense), the information is hand-waved away as if it isn't relevant (regardless of whether it is or not) or you get told to shut up about it because it doesn't fit the current mold. I can't tell you the ideas I've come up with afters spending hours with people smarter or just as smart as myself and digging up information and verifying it because if it doesn't fit what the majority says, it gets shutdown.

Let me stress that you don't have to agree with me, but stop acting as if you know better when you are constantly wrong. Stop telling people to get over characters who already have content in the game because they can't happen when every event that happens proves you wrong on that stance. If someone wants to come in and speculate, they shouldn't be limited to what characters you all think are possible. You are forcing speculation into a box with your labels on it even though you constantly have to rip your labels off the box. If someone thinks that recent information means we are getting a Star Tropics character and they come in to say why, feel free to disagree, but let them say their peace. If a new glitch happens in the game and someone thinks it ties to this character that most of you think has no chance, don't tell them to give up on it. And most importantly, be more open-minded about the things you find out. Considering how wrong the majority of the Smash speculation community has been, it's probably a really good idea to be more accepting of ideas you think are wrong as you may end up being more correct.

EDIT: I find this unnecessary, as if what I said doesn't apply to you then I'm obviously not referring to you, but disclaimer that when I say 'you' in a wall of text I post and you read it and you think 'I mean, I didn't do anything of the sort!' then I'm not talking about you so don't get upset about it.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
View attachment 306770

This is me 110%.
WHERE'S MY EARTHWORM JIM?!
Jim's crossed my mind occasionally, actually. Unfortunately, given the circumstances I'm not sure he's crossed Nintendo's, and I'm not knowledgeable enough on his series to keep the conversation going. At least he has that fourth game on the Amico coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom