• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
My mind is so focused on what content is comin with Pyra/Mythra, who's gonna be deconfirmed with the Mii Costumes, what music is coming, how hard Sakurai is gonna geek freak about Xenoblade 2, etc

That I nearly forgot there were two new Bravely Default spirits today. But I got em though.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
So then

What happens if both the Monster Hunter Miis skip this wave(Which is likely with or without them being playable)

AND

Rise doesn't get a spirit event?

Both events happening are very likely, expected even tbh, with or without MonHun being playable, but imo, even if it doesn't 100% confirm anything, it would be a little suspicious if we go through all of March and no Spirit event.

Yes, not every game gets one, but no spirit event, and no mii costumes? That would be very odd.
It definitely would be odd I agree. As you said, we have had games skip Spirit Events before so it wouldn't be 100%, but even so MH would have missed two big shots to its chances if that does play out. So in that scenario it would definitely look a lot stronger as a candidate.

Uh, why not? Samurott is motile, is affected by gravity, and has limbs with which to attack. Far as I can see, there's basically no problems.
Mechanically there would be nothing stopping them from using Samurott. It does walk on four limbs, but it's depicted as being able to hold its swords and stand on two legs so it'd avoid any potential issues a quadrupled would have (ex. holding items). It's bigger issue is popularity as Samurott isn't as strong in that category as Decidueye or Typhlosion, so there would be a good chance they went with the other two instead.

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm on the E3 train for the next fighter reveal. Pyra/Mythra presentation next week, lets say they release a week from that, give or take, March is midway through and June is just a couple of months away. Makes sense.

This is assuming Nintendo attends E3 and has a presentation. Though even if Nintendo goes solo, June fits the time frame anyway.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm on the E3 train for the next fighter reveal. Pyra/Mythra presentation next week, lets say they release a week from that, give or take, March is midway through and June is just a couple of months away. Makes sense.

This is assuming Nintendo attends E3 and has a presentation. Though even if Nintendo goes solo, June fits the time frame anyway.
Agreed. Considering how the gap between a fighter's reveal and launch has gotten smaller and smaller, I think P/M will release at the 11th at the absolute latest.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Keep in mind that they announced DLC after FP1 at the same as Terry, the second to last character of the pass. If we were to get a FP3 (which I find incredibly unlikely, but I digress), it would not be announced this early.
Plus, wasn’t it in a direct and not a dedicated presentation?

of course they can always break precedent but...

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
One of the character I find it very interesting to have in smash is Peashooter from plant vs zombies I have never seen before a tower defense character in a fighting game before and being represented in a way that it’s still like implementing many things that can distract opponents it would feel like a mix of :ultpacman: :ultsteve: :ultduckhunt::ultpiranha: A very crazy combination.
Peashooter is pretty much the face of tower defence games and can be regarded as an icon
Also we have Zombie in smash already so...
See, this is what I'm talking about. Give me more of this style of character.

So many people hold huge grudges against WFT, Duck Hunt, Plant, even G&W and ROB because "Ugh, who even asked for this?" but those bizarre out-of-the-box picks are always the most exciting for me because I know how differently they'll play. And I feel like Sakurai must love designing them because they give him a chance to flex his creativity in ways more "standard" characters can't.

To me, these are the characters that make Smash Bros. what it is. And it's why I would 100% rather have an unpopular character like Frogger or the Prince from Katamari or the Peashooter or a literal Tetromino over your Dantes, Monster Hunters, or Soras.

It's also why I'm always rooting for another quadruped fighter like Amaterasu or Spyro. Anything to break up the "standard humanoid" mold, y'know?

Granted, those are always safer bets for base game, so I'm not exactly holding my breath for such a character to score one of the final two DLC slots. But yeah. I just love Sakurai's misfit picks. Carry on.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
My only thing with the E3 train is that it’s very unlikely Nintendo is going to be participating in E3 at all this year. The conference is all digital anyways and the whole reason they were at E3 was for the physical presence with their booths but that’s not longer possible now.

They’re not specifically tied to June due to E3 being completely superfluous so an announcement in Late May or, god-forbid, Early July isn’t necessarily off the table for our next Direct.

Only way I can see a May Direct happening though is if Pyra/Mythra release on March 4th. A late May reveal would be around 2 1/2 months which has been the spread for the last few DLC. Even then the character would likely RELEASE sometime in June.

God help us all if Pyra/Mythra is our last character until July though.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
My only thing with the E3 train is that it’s very unlikely Nintendo is going to be participating in E3 at all this year. The conference is all digital anyways and the whole reason they were at E3 was for the physical presence with their booths but that’s not longer possible now.

They’re not specifically tied to June due to E3 being completely superfluous so an announcement in Late May or, god-forbid, Early July isn’t necessarily off the table for our next Direct.

Only way I can see a May Direct happening though is if Pyra/Mythra release on the 4th. A late May reveal would be around 2 1/2 months which has been the spread for the last few DLC. Even then the character would likely RELEASE sometime in June.

God help us all if Pyra/Mythra is our last character until July though.
Nintendo does their own video anyways when it comes to E3. Given they've had it every June since E3 started this year will be no different. That's when I suspect we'll get the last two fighters (I'm thinking a double reveal and where it'll be ending).

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Nintendo does their own video anyways when it comes to E3. Given they've had it every June since E3 started this year will be no different. That's when I suspect we'll get the last two fighters (I'm thinking a double reveal and where it'll be ending).
I don't think that's happening unless they also announce post-pass DLC, whether it be FP3 or something else.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I could see a double reveal if the final characters are only well known in one gaming hemisphere respectively. So if it was something like Master Chief and Reimu as our final characters, it'll be possible. But otherwise I can't see it happening, and I'm starting to not expect Reimu at this rate.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Anyway remember my Nier post from earlier? well 2B is already one of my most wanted, i now have 6 most wanted's.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I could see a double reveal if the final characters are only well known in one gaming hemisphere respectively. So if it was something like Master Chief and Reimu as our final characters, it'll be possible. But otherwise I can't see it happening, and I'm starting to not expect Reimu at this rate.
This is how Demi-fiend and Dante dual reveal wins.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I was thinking more Crazy Dave, since he's the most important character plot-wise who could be implemented, and he'd also be able to bust out multiple different plants in his moveset rather than relying on one plant's abilities for a moveset. He'd also be able to use various different tools as well, like the Rake or the Lawnmower. Overall, I think he'd be able to have a more comprehensive moveset regarding the series.
You know i was just talking about a Summon Character like Yugi from Jump Super Stars, but i think Crazy Dave can pull it off even better than a Pokémon Trainer could.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Nintendo will probably not be at E3, E3 is entirely digital now and Nintendo pretty much only did it for the physical set. We will probably get a June Direct or Presentation of some sort but it won't have the same weight and Presence that the E3 Directs did.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If that's getting ahead of themselves, how bad is it that I might (MIGHT) be expecting both CP10 and CP11 to Drop both in June?
Well your tether to rationality has always been hanging by a thread so I'd say that'd be par for the course.

And the fanbase responds.

View attachment 305326
I mean, of course.

But I'd like to think we're not quite at the level of twitter.

It's not that much of a stretch, given that it hasn't been officially stated how far apart characters are released. It's been confirmed that Pyra and Mythra are the only characters featured in the presentation, so we actually have confirmation on that. The Steve-Sephiroth gap was only two months to the usual three, and it's the same with the Sephiroth-Pyra gap. If the Blades release around the presentation, we may just get another two-month gap between Pyra and CP10.

Granted, that's still an if. If Pyra and Mythra release in the middle or at the end of March, it means we're sticking to the three months. I also agree that April is too soon; May is the earliest I can see CP10, and as stated before, that's still a what-if scenario.
Yes, it is a stretch. You're stuck in a 2020 mentality where Directs aren't happening so reveals aren't bound to them. But when they do happen, as they've now again begun to, they get priority. Assuming one is happening around when we'd get E3, the reveal is going to be saved for that. Case in point: Pyra being revealed in line with how the 2019 and earlier reveals happened; when there was an event around it.

Should we not get a Direct, which I think is unlikely, then a May reveal is possible, but considering the character would likely release imminently as per the other non-Direct reveals, that itself seems quite unlikely, considering the only case of turnaround within that time frame was precipitated by a delay.

And frankly April is just completely off the table for a release, that's too close together. And if there's no April release, an April reveal doesn't make much sense, barring a general Direct, which is quite unlikely itself.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I do think because June is the 3 year anniversary of the Official reveal of Smash Ultimate (Not counting the reveal of Smash Switch), that we'd probably get the Reveals in June.

Like I could see even with a May Direct, that they give us the Date of a Smash Broadcast, instead of a Reveal

Well your tether to rationality has always been hanging by a thread so I'd say that'd be par for the course.
To explain my Rationale, Here's How I see

Development is winding down heavily it would seem. If FP2 is it for Ultimate (and I believe that's the case, as of Right now), then personally I think the Last 2 Fighters are either very close to presentable state, or already are in that state

When it came to Base Roster -> FP1, and FP1 ->FP2, I believe the team went straight into each Period of Development with no break. Some people get taken off course, but pretty much there was always something next, so the Focus had to have been placed on the next character in terms of what needs to be developed

Since These Last 2 Characters are supposedly it, with no new Development being planned in the future for any content of Ultimate, their focus, after the release of Pyra/Mythra (or even right now since they might be finished 100%) will be solely on the last 2 characters, so we could see a Speed up in the development of them both, to the point where we could see Simultaneous release

Of course, there are alot of variables to that, Since not every character has the same variables to their development, with differences in amount of effort required to model, balance, animate, etc. There's also the fact that there probably staff members that are being taken off as of now, and not even talking about ones like the Render Artist, Mural artists, Modelers, etc who possibly might already be done by now, but even members of branch of Active development like the balancing and animating.

I also think a Final Smash Presentation is possible, just like Smash 4. I do know the reason they did do grouped up releases like they did was because the 3DS couldn't update so frequently, but they might also might and be able to finish very soon, and releasing both of the last 2 could be beneficial in their own way. yes

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Sorry for the late response, but for some reason, that was an error that was posted on the TCRF. The placeholders still exist in the executable, and have been used consistently ever since.

now that i can use my other desktop I can make my own mockup
too lazy to edit.png

epicmartin7 epicmartin7 assuming i understand right... they'll keep editing the WoL/air attack param slots until all these exe's are filled, assuming they keep going after fp2?

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'm surprised E3 is still going considering how more irrelevant the convention is becoming each year. Especially with the massive doxx that happened which severely damaged a lot of attendee's trust with the ESA.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm surprised E3 is still going considering how more irrelevant the convention is becoming each year. Especially with the massive doxx that happened which severely damaged a lot of attendee's trust with the ESA.
Jesus, I forgot about that... massive ****ing yikes 😬

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
View attachment 305340

epicmartin7 epicmartin7 assuming i understand right... they'll keep editing the WoL/air attack param slots until all these exe's are filled, assuming they keep going after fp2?
Uh... that is completely unknown. It's more than likely that the "16" param limit is their intended limit since more stuff in the game points to that rather than the executable stuff. Although, this is Sakurai and the team, so I guess anything is possible. Although, if I were a betting man, I don't think all of the executable placeholders will be filled.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
They do their presentation in June to coincide with E3 because there’s usually a precedent for it. They’re always at E3 physically even if they always go digital with their presentation.

That’s my point. Without any particular obligation to do a presentation in June they could just not.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Did anyone else think the end of the Pyra/Mythra trailer with the XBDE model Shulk was going to reveal a Cloud-style update for him, like the one Sephiroth came with? Like every 2nd palette of his (besides the swimsuit) was going to be replaced with his Future Connected outfit and the Monado Replica or something. It was honestly jarring going from Smash footage to XB footage.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
View attachment 305340

Don't you think Pyra would be code named Flame? Also I think Mythra would take her own slot if Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard get their own slots.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Well since epicmartin7 epicmartin7 is here, I'm curious if you're working on theory crafting CP10's background color since you were spot on with Pyra & Mythra's color.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Going by how PT appears to use multiple slots, my guess is that P/M will use two.

That said... that would be a lot of leftover slots after Volume 2 is done. Enough to fill three more Passes, if my count is correct. So at this point I kinda doubt those mean too much.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Did anyone else think the end of the Pyra/Mythra trailer with the XBDE model Shulk was going to reveal a Cloud-style update for him, like the one Sephiroth came with? Like every 2nd palette of his (besides the swimsuit) was going to be replaced with his Future Connected outfit and the Monado Replica or something. It was honestly jarring going from Smash footage to XB footage.
I’m secretly hoping Shulk gets SOME kind of update. The dude looks ROUGH.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Imagine if our last character is Decidueye lol. Considering Legends and him already being considered once before, ontop of his Fan Demand and Gen 8's Main Lineup getting killed by a Firing Squad (they were deconfirmed), I wonder if Decidueye will get a Second Look for this Pass?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom