• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
With all that in Mind, That's why I'm not really expecting a Pass 3. But Personally I do suspect that there are plans brewing already for what will come next after Ultimate. I think alot of the rumors about Certain characters, like League, Fortnite, Apex Legends, Master Chief, etc might be them currently talking about them having a presence in Smash someday, but perhaps not in FP2
I am really interested in this part you mentioned. If they really need to release another smash game after Ultimate, I want it to be a kind of MMORPG cilent or something. An online game. You know, similar to the MMORPG games you see these days.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I am really interested in this part you mentioned. If they really need to release another smash game after Ultimate, I want it to be a kind of MMORPG cilent or something. An online game. You know, similar to the MMORPG games you see these days.
I don't see that happening unless Nintendo leaves the console market entirely.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Ugh, don't jinx it. Yes I'm aware, but that's still something I want to be hopeful for. Nintendo has never been much into PC marketing as far as I know already. It would be a new style, and it'd be a good success in my opinion.

At least can we please finally get a Smash anime.... sigh.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Plus, Nintendo isn't known for having good online; you might not want a Nintendo MMO until their online starts improving.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
What about it? Yeah its #1 in sales still and likely won't be dethroned, but I never said Smash passed it. I said Smash was #3 and passed other huge games.

So...what is your point?
It had ongoing DLC before it eventually stopped and that was a high-selling game.

Fact is they can't continue on this game forever and the Switch is already in the middle of its life, so they have to move on eventually.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Tomorrow is either Sinnoh Remakes or Let’s Go, Johto. Don’t think they’d hold a 20 minute presents for Pokémon’s 25th anniversary and show nothing but Mobile games.
Oh hey I called it by the way.

Personally I’m not all that attached to Pokémon in general, besides Johto, so the artstyle is something I actually enjoy. I can get people being upset by it but the sheer fact that they finally outsourced a remake is a VERY good thing. The fact that Pokémon Legends looks as good as it does I feel is proof enough of that.

It also looks like Pokémon Legends won’t be mainline but will big the big 2022 Pokémon title. Which means the basis of Legends could be used for Gen 9 which is super exciting.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'm not familiar with MMORPG's so I'm confused what you mean here

Shroob

Sup?
I just don't see why the FP3 stuff needs to be so.....heated.

If people believe it'll happen, great.
If they don't, that's fine too.

Trying to force people to think one way is ****ty. Let people believe what they want, as long as it's entirely civil in the end. There's no need for hostility.

At the end of the day, it's downloadable content. For a video game. Nothing to get worked up over. At the end of the day, if people are incorrect online, it's not your problem to deal with, it's theirs, and frankly, no one really considers this a "Problem" to begin with. We're all here to have fun, not get in fights.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend

I'd like to play my games without requiring online. Seriously, it's bad enough that too many games are requiring online to just play them. Last thing I want is for Smash Bros. to go online-only.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Why is everyone attacking me like I'm not aware? I dunno but it feels that way? I'm actually aware, but that's one of my desires, which I know it won't happen.

I'm not familiar with MMORPG's so I'm confused what you mean here
I would think like online-only as Ivander said, maybe with a structure similar to smash run in Smash 4 but instead of colllecting items, you increase stats by leveling up. And having skills, which are these advanced special moves, which consumes MP. (Yes, special moves will still be present, the skills merely can be used by buttons). There's more but I will stop now because it felt controversial. I'm sorry.

Shroob

Sup?
Why is everyone attacking me like I'm not aware? I dunno but it feels that way? I'm actually aware, but that's one of my desires, which I know it won't happen.

I would think like online-only as Ivander said, maybe with a structure similar to smash run in Smash 4 but instead of colllecting items, you increase stats by leveling up. And having skills, which are these advanced special moves, which consumes MP. (Yes, special moves will still be present, the skills merely can be used by buttons). There's more but I will stop now because it felt controversial. I'm sorry.
I don't think anyone's attacking you.

Disagreeing? Yes, but I'd hardly call any of this an "Attack".

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It had ongoing DLC before it eventually stopped and that was a high-selling game.

Fact is they can't continue on this game forever and the Switch is already in the middle of its life, so they have to move on eventually.
I don’t understand this logic.

like if it was approaching the end of its lifespan like with the Wii U I would understand. But middle, to me at least, implies you’ve still got a fair share of surprises up your sleeve. Plus weren’t they talking about extending the lifespan a bit more?

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
If we DO get FP3 I think it'll be mostly 1st party. Unless they were outright lying about "not having plans" beyond FP2 I don't think there's going to be enough time to adequately negotiate for 3rd party content. Even if they, on average, take less time to acquire than someone like Steve I can't imagine it would be a quick process. Hard to tell of course, but those are just my thoughts.

Oh yea, and please be civil everyone come on...

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
Ok I hate the argument that companies being greedy =\= invalid for smash.

SNK has Tencent, ****ing Tencent who is in leagues with the CCP, owning a large stake in them. Terry is in. Konami’s Treatment of its employees is notably awful. Look how much Konami content we have. Microsoft literally donated money to bush and gore to get a trust lawsuit to go away. We have Steve and Banjo.

Activision Blizzard is no angel. Don’t get me wrong. But to say that just because a company is “greedy” means that a character can’t be in smash is one of the absolute dumbest things you can argue.

It also does not help that Nintendo and Activision have a good working relationship but you do you.
Something something Nicalis

Actually, I just realized something: if Quote got in, how much of his content would draw from Nicalis's updated content as opposed to the freeware original? Spirit artwork would probably need to draw from Nicalis artwork since freeware only really has ingame sprites, but what about the soundtrack? Would they use the original Organya tracks, the remastered versions from 3D, the "new" versions from WiiWare, or some mix of them? And if sprites did end up represented in any way, would they use the original sprites or the remastered ones from +?

Pillow

Smash Lord
If we DO get FP3 I think it'll be mostly 1st party. Unless they were outright lying about "not having plans" beyond FP2 I don't think there's going to be enough time to adequately negotiate for 3rd party content. Even if they, on average, take less time to acquire than someone like Steve I can't imagine it would be a quick process. Hard to tell of course, but those are just my thoughts.

Oh yea, and please be civil everyone come on...
Stuff like RFA and Astral Chain seems like a given, but they’ll definitely have some big 3rd parties to sell the pass. I imagine companies like Microsoft and Square who had characters in both passes already, seem likely, if FP3 were to be announced.

Also just because some characters we have are evidenced to have been negotiated for long before they arrived in Smash does not mean negotiating for characters itself is necessarily a lengthy process.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
There's also a new open world game as well taking place in Sinnoh as well (prequel?)
I'm betting Legends Arceus is essentially a test run for when the next core game is entirely open world.

So... we gonna talk about Arceos in Smash?
He should be a Boss. Rayquaza was the best option we had at the time back in Brawl. But Arceus is the God of Pokemon and deserves that Boss slot.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Stuff like RFA and Astral Chain seems like a given, but they’ll definitely have some big 3rd parties to sell the pass. I imagine companies like Microsoft and Square who had characters in both passes already, seem likely, if FP3 were to be announced.

Also just because some characters we have are evidenced to have been negotiated for long before they arrived in Smash does not mean negotiating for characters itself is necessarily a lengthy process.
This is how Neku wins... right?

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
If people believe it'll happen, great.
If they don't, that's fine too.

Trying to force people to think one way is ****ty. Let people believe what they want, as long as it's entirely civil in the end. There's no need for hostility.

At the end of the day, it's downloadable content. For a video game. Nothing to get worked up over.
This should also apply to:

• Fan rules
  • Fan theories
  • Any and all "evidence"
  • Speculative questions
  • Someone's most wanted
  • Someone's most hated
  • Bandwagoning
  • Hype
  • Reactions

Basically everything about this thread. It's speculation, nobody knows anything more than anyone else. Let us have fun guessing and hype responsibly.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I think we could see a double dip from Microsoft this pass. I could really see Master Chief being one of the last 2. It would be one of those characters that we considered “disconfirmed” because of another character in the pass that would pull the rug out from under us and shock us and that’s something that Sakurai/Nintendo would absolutely do.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I think we could see a double dip from Microsoft this pass. I could really see Master Chief being one of the last 2. It would be one of those characters that we considered “disconfirmed” because of another character in the pass that would pull the rug out from under us and shock us and that’s something that Sakurai/Nintendo would absolutely do.
I would be ok with this, but if his tagline isn't "finishes the fight!" I would be disappointed as that tagline is perfect albeit overused for him.

Shroob

Sup?
I feel like if we DO get Chief, then it'd be in June, though, I also kinda see him as a double reveal, since, as big as he is here, Halo isn't a super big franchise in Japan(iirc).

Dinoman96

Smash Master
tbh double dipping on a third party company just kinda feels weird to do when Nintendo has more than one character. Like say Master Chief got in, and in combination with Steve, Min Min and Pyra/Mythra that's about 4/6 of the pass dedicated to just two companies. Things would even feel more lopsided if one of the last two is also a Nintendo character, which would mean a pass that's 2/6 Microsoft, 3/6 Nintendo and 1/6 Square-Enix.

Anything's possible at this point, but I feel like they'd want to widen the net and cover more ground between third parties.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Feels like some people are getting tired of discussing only the frontrunners.

Okay then, how about this: Let's talk Kiryu. Yakuza's gotten pretty big and I've been on a Yakuza music fix lately. Yeah, yeah, there's that thing about "Kazuma Kiryu respects women," but wasn't there an interview about how the director would be open to Kiryu in Smash but didn't think Sakurai wanted him? I think we can say the statement about fighting games doesn't apply to Smash.

So yeah. Let's talk about a possible SSBU X Yakuza.
Yakuza in Smash is a very appealing idea for me, though I guess that's not surprising.

A Kamurocho stage could be awesome. I always imagined it would be a stage set on the streets of Kamurocho, but maybe they would go with Millenium Tower, which is an iconic and frequent location in the series.

I'd expect a shirtless Kiryu alt. Though I guess that might be something they would keep for his final Smash.

Also, these absolute bangers and hype songs better be included with Kiryu:

(I have always found fun how in the picture of the last video Kiryu looks like Ryo from Shenmue)

Plus, Crash seems to be a mainly Sony franchise, and Japan has pretty much stopped dealing with Sony.
Sorry but this reasoning just feels kinda random. That doesn't have anything to do with Crash in Smash at all lol

Ok I hate the argument that companies being greedy =\= invalid for smash.
Yeah. When people uses that as an argument against a character it just feels like they don't want that character. Because it's a really weak point.

I mean... According to that, even Nintendo characters would be unlikely. Because all companies are greedy. You can have an affinity towards them or their games, but that doesn't mean they will be nice to you, or at least not in a daily basis.

I saw some discussion on the last few pages wondering what the appeal of PlayStation is and I gotta say, I'm simultaneously surprised and unsurprised that Nintendo audiences don't get it.

I saw surprised because the reason to get a PS is pretty much the same reason to get a Nintendo console: they make amazing exclusives. PS4 era Sony, specifically, hit kind of a golden age where they were putting out classics left and right. Look at any GOTY list from the past generation, there's at least one Sony game on it, guaranteed. Sure, they don't put out exclusives at the volume that Nintendo does, but they make up for it in third party support (exclusive and non-exclusive) - a strategy Nintendo seems to be copying, by the way, we all saw the last Direct.

At the same time I'm not surprised that Nintendo fans don't get it because from their perspective Sony's exclusives are all probably the same game. That's unfortunate because it's completely mistaken but hey, people will make sweeping statements about stuff that doesn't appeal to them. Still, they appear to be trying to get back into the "cartoony" market, they even made Ratchet & Clank one of the defining games of the PS5 tech-wise. But I won't lie, losing Japan Studio will probably impact the type of games they made, and is a huge loss to the industry because now we don't have a console maker bankrolling both Japanese and Western devs (well, Asobi Studios is still alive, hopefully they can grow beyond just making tech demos).
I think I couldn't have said it better than you.

In a way, it doesn't surprise me. Don't wanna throw a dart to anyone, I don't mean this in a bad or offensive way, but there's always some fans that for one reason or another, they're barely familiar with other platforms/genres/companies, because they have been sticking to a particular platform since they started playing videogames.

This happens everywhere, not only with Nintendo fans, of course. I know people who doesn't get the appeal of Nintendo and their IPs, just like others here seem to not get the appeal of PlayStation or Xbox.
Personally, while I really like Nintendo and some of my favorite games and series are from Nintendo, I couldn't go through an entire gaming gen with only Nintendo, because I'd just miss so much third party stuff I like, plus some PlayStation/Xbox exclusives.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
I feel like if we DO get Chief, then it'd be in June, though, I also kinda see him as a double reveal, since, as big as he is here, Halo isn't a super big franchise in Japan(iirc).
It’s big enough where the Japanese audience at least knows who he is. I imagine it’d be a lot like Hero is here. Most people have heard of DQ even if they never played one of the games.

D

Deleted member

Now that I’ve had some more time to collect my thoughts on Legends Arceus, here’s my summarized take: possibly the best creative vision for a game the main series has ever had, but underwhelming from a technical perspective. I hope it gets polished but it’s GameFreak on their Pokémon treadmill so I’m not getting my hopes up.

I don’t expect double dipping third parties in the same pass, but there’s no reason why it couldn’t happen. Like if Sakurai wants Master Chief or 2B I don’t think he’s gonna drop them just because Steve and Sephiroth are in. It’s more that there are a wealth of other options out there so it’s more likely we get any of the dozens upon dozens of characters that happen to not belong to Microsoft or Square Enix.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Something I had been thinking too actually. I always thought there was a possibility that given the close relationship that Nintendo and Microsoft managed to make a deal between three of the characters and Master Chief would certainly come off as surprising, "Didn't see coming", and internet-breaking.

This is assuming the last two fighters aren't from Base content as this Pass seems to show so far.
It’s big enough where the Japanese audience at least knows who he is. I imagine it’d be a lot like Hero is here. Most people have heard of DQ even if they never played one of the games.
Meanwhile despaired Scorpion screams

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Am I insane or do the protagonists in legends arceus just look like the classic gen 4 protags but in ancient Japanese clothing
That's literally what they are. But yes, you're insane, after all, real Luigis only wear this
67b34f8de48de05fcd3f485bd2be7460.jpg

I'd expect a shirtless Kiryu alt. Though I guess that might be something they would keep for his final Smash.
I feel that Yakuza only doing that when ****'s about to go down is reason enough to save it for a final smash. Then again, Sephiroth only loses his shirt during the final battle, but it's easily one of the most iconic scenes in the game.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Gonna be honest as much as I am against a gen 8 Pokémon(mostly just cinderace) and wanna say how unlikey it is. There’s no where it says that I am against a 2nd gen 4 mon being added so I say I would like to see a gen 4 mon happen even if I didn’t play the games(most notably garchomp lol)

however I really don’t find another 1st party Likely since I believe :ultpyra: was the last one for the game(btw late mentioning this but I WAS SO HAPPY I FINALLY GOT HALF OF WHAT I WANT!) as well as me thinking The final 2 are 3rd parties from new series and at least one of them is from a new company, but while the chances do seem a bit slim I say Imo that gen 4 is more likley than gen 8 mostly due to Not having a post launch spirit event unlike gen 8(tbh I feel like the vol 2 fighters could have already been decided way before November)

we're probably going to see it finished up before even the Remakes release (since a 'late' 2021 release is probably its normal November window).

So yeah, probably too late to get the 'Shillpick' treatment for either of the Gen 4 iterations coming.
Obviously I get it for legends but for the dp remakes I don’t think it would be to late nor early

they could just release it like 1 or 2 months before it’s release like they did with:ulthero: who released in July and dq11 released in late September

And besides all they are are remakes of 2 old ds games from 2006 So if they want a gen 4 for the fp then the content to give it is right there already

But not for Pass 3, which we all know is basically a lock.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Something I had been thinking too actually. I always thought there was a possibility that given the close relationship that Nintendo and Microsoft managed to make a deal between three of the characters and Master Chief would certainly come off as surprising, "Didn't see coming", and internet-breaking.

This is assuming the last two fighters aren't from Base content as this Pass seems to show so far.
The question we have to ask is, would Nintendo want to put three characters that 100% belong to an opposing company in their historic blockbuster? Because it's not just about two companies being friendly. Nintendo has to shell out cash for the use of these characters. Banjo alone is still pretty shocking to me because the only way you can play his game is on a Microsoft console.

Yes, the same could be said for Joker and Sony, but the Persona franchise isn't owned by Sony. B&K are owned by Microsoft. No matter how you slice it, Sakurai saying "Go play it on Xbox" was telling players to go give money to Microsoft than could've otherwise been spent on Nintendo products.

I'm beyond happy that that happened, but would Nintendo want to do that again?

Having multiple characters that put money directly into the pockets of your competitor just doesn't sound like smart business to me. Especially when it comes to DLC this long after base game's release. The Switch has been out, Ultimate has been out, but the new Xbox is new. There's a new Halo game coming out. Putting Master Chief in Smash would sell a few $5 DLC packs for Nintendo, sure, but would it justify paying the money Microsoft asks for their mascot? Especially since it would essentially be glorified advertising for Microsoft's new hardware and new game.

Again, it could happen, but as of right now, I don't get why Nintendo would want to do that.

(And again, this is mostly me saying that I don't really want Master Chief in Smash and would much rather see representation from other companies than double-dip again, so take my embittered arguments with an appropriately sized grain of salt haha)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The question we have to ask is, would Nintendo want to put three characters that 100% belong to an opposing company in their historic blockbuster? Because it's not just about two companies being friendly. Nintendo has to shell out cash for the use of these characters. Banjo alone is still pretty shocking to me because the only way you can play his game is on a Microsoft console.

Yes, the same could be said for Joker and Sony, but the Persona franchise isn't owned by Sony. B&K are owned by Microsoft. No matter how you slice it, Sakurai saying "Go play it on Xbox" was telling players to go give money to Microsoft than could've otherwise been spent on Nintendo products.

Having multiple characters that put money directly into the pockets of your competitor just doesn't sound like smart business to me. Especially when it comes to DLC this long after base game's release. The Switch has been out, Ultimate has been out, but the new Xbox is new. There's a new Halo game coming out. Putting Master Chief in Smash would sell a few $5 DLC packs for Nintendo, sure, but would it justify paying the money Microsoft asks for their mascot? Especially since it would essentially be glorified advertising for Microsoft's new hardware and new game.

Again, it could happen, but as of right now, I don't get why Nintendo would want to do that.

(And again, this is mostly me saying that I don't really want Master Chief in Smash and would much rather see representation from other companies than double-dip again, so take my embittered arguments with an appropriately sized grain of salt haha)
If Nintendo was already comfortable with that before then they'd still be comfortable with it, especially as Minecraft's on the Switch and how at worst, you're still reeling in a new audience assuming Xbox fans refused to touch Nintendo beforehand

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Just think.

2019: Banjo & Kazooie
2020: Steve
2021: Master Chief

That's what I'd definitely call a trilogy! Ending the Pass with Master Chief also would a good way to end with a big bang.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

To be fair, I don't think Nintendo and Microsoft really see each other as competitors anymore; At least, Microsoft doesn't. MS is shifting towards games as a service, and so their main opposition is other streaming services like the Amazon Luna, Apple Arcade, and Google Stadia (pfft). Not sure if Nintendo's stated how they feel, but MS let them have Minecraft and a handful of other games, so their relationship's at least functioning. Plus, Nintendo's goal with the Switch is the versatile hybrid gimmick and strong exclusives, which wouldn't interfere with Xbox's increased focus on streaming services. Given that they've crossed over in Smash twice already, I can easily see them doing it a third time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom