• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Assuming all Nintendo characters will be characters that feature in successful Switch titles, here is a look at the best-selling Nintendo titles on the Switch and the possibility of getting characters from there in this pass:
  • Mario Games in general (MK8D, Oddysey, etc.) - Waluigi and Toad are possible.
  • Animal Crossing New Horizon - Has a spirit event
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - we already have Mr. Game & Watch, a Melee OC.
  • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - doubt it. Wouldn’t it make more sense to save that BotW Mii costume and those Age of Calamity spirits for a BotW character pack.
  • Pokemon Sword and Shield - has a spirit event. Also, it would be weird that the Team Rocket Mii costumes weren’t saved for a hypothetical Gen 8 pack, so there is that to consider.
  • Pokemon Let’s Go - See Sw section in terms of the Mii costumes. Also, it got post-release spirits.
  • Splatoon 2 - would it not make more sense to save the Callie and Marie mii costume for a Splatoon pack?
  • Luigi’s Mansion 3 - Everyone has obviously been asking for Gooigi. It’s weird how there is no spirit event for this title.
  • Ring Fit Adventure - got a spirit event.
  • Link’s Awakening - got a spirit event.
  • Age of Calamity - got a spirit event.
  • 1-2 Switch: ..............
  • Paper Mario - the Origami King - got a spirit event
  • Star Allies - Bandana Waddle Dee is still very viable.
  • Three Houses - covered with Byleth.
  • Tropical Freeze - most likely Dixie if we are getting a DK character, unless they pull a swerve and add in Funky or Cranky.
  • Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics - I mean, chess is iconic, so there is that.
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe - I really, really doubt Alph is getting promoted from an alternate costume to a separate fighter via DLC.
  • Xenoblade 2 - covered with Pythra.
  • Yoshi’s Crafted World - I doubt this.
  • Xenoblade DE - I doubt this.
  • Nintendo Labo - got a spirit event.
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - See SwSh section in terms of the Mii costumes.
  • Pokken Tournament - See SwSh section in terms of the Mii costumes.
  • Astral Chain - got a spirit event.
So really, the standout in terms of Switch title characters are Waluigi, Toad, Bandana Dee and Dixie and if we are getting another Nintendo character these are strong candidates.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Should be noted Luigi's Mansion 3 is already repped in Smash: Luigi uses the new Poltergust model for his grabs/Final Smash.
I was gonna say “but 2019” but then recalled LM3 was kinda in development hell for a while

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Should be noted Luigi's Mansion 3 is already repped in Smash: Luigi uses the new Poltergust model for his grabs/Final Smash.
True, but for the sale of generosity, I wanted to lump it in the same category of XC2 already having representation via the songs and spirits included in the base game (not that I thing Gooigi is happening).

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
To be honest, I still think it'd be weird to have a new Mario character at this point in time.

Considering that FP2 was beginning to release in close proximation with Mario's 35th anniversary, I'd think it would of made tons of sense to fast track a new Mario rep to be one of the first FP2 characters shown off, especially if it was someone like Waluigi who'd make the internet explode, and get them out in time for the online Mario themed tourney they did back in December last year...but well, by the time the next character gets shown off, Mario's 35th celebration will be long over.

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Pick any 5:

10e. Ninten [Ness]
11e. Black Shadow [Captain Falcon]
16e. Impa [Sheik]
27e. Galacta Knight [Meta Knight]
31e. Liquid Snake [Snake]
32e. Black Knight [Ike]
35e. Charizard [Pokemon Trainer]
36e. Dixie Kong [Diddy Kong]
38e. Shadow [Sonic]
46e. Bass [Megaman]
61e. Zack [Cloud]
63e. Jeanne [Bayonetta]
64e. Octolings [Inklings]

Personally, I'd go with Black Shadow, Impa, Liquid Snake, Shadow and Bass.
Shadow
Galacta Knight
Jeanne
Octolings
Zack

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
To be honest, I still think it'd be weird to have a new Mario character at this point in time.

Considering that FP2 was beginning to release in close proximation with Mario's 35th anniversary, I'd think it would of made tons of sense to fast track a new Mario rep to be one of the first FP2 characters shown off, especially if it was someone like Waluigi who'd make the internet explode...but well, by the time the next character gets shown off, Mario's 35th celebration will be long over.
I agree, but let's be honest, most of these reveals seem to revolve around E3 and TGAs rather than anniversaries.

Would it have made more sense to reveal Waluigi at E3 2020/October? Probably, but Steve is a character who would surprise more people.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I feel like its reached a point in revenue where they can just add a few echos yo the game for free or maybe as a limited time bonus where if you bought all dlc before a certain time, you get it for free
I don't really see that because it would alienate people who chose to buy the DLC fighters separately rather than buy the whole pass.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I agree, but let's be honest, most of these reveals seem to revolve around E3 and TGAs rather than anniversaries.

Would it have made more sense to reveal Waluigi at E3 2020/October? Probably, but Steve is a character who would surprise more people.
At the same time there's evidence to suggest an E3 reveal was never planned beyond Min Min and that Steve would still make sense if he was released later. Waluigi would still surprise people a lot too

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If I had to choose three first-parties I think have the best shot, I'd go with Bandana Dee, Euden, and Ayumi. Admittedly, they have some pretty major barricades too, but that goes for almost everyone we've gotten for DLC. Wouldn't hurt to lower the bar by just a little.
  • Bandana Dee - The main thing going for him is his popularity. He's been a pretty popular request for a while, despite all the Hat Goomba quips. Heck, he even managed to get #2 in the SourceGaming 2019 poll, and still remained in the top ten the following year; The only first-party to do so. There's also the potential upcoming Kirby game from the files of Fighters 2; BWD's been a mainstay of the series since RtDL, and he'll probably pop up there again. He'd probably bring content from the entire modern Kirby era too, and not just the newest game.
    Still, the DLC hasn't been very kind to settings that already have a fighter. The only one to truly do so is Sephiroth, who represented an infamously underrepresented game. Three Houses had a different setting, and ARMS and XC2 didn't have a playable character or a stage. That, and theupcoming Kirby game is still a what-if, so BWD mainly has to rely on his popularity for now.
  • Euden - Dragalia Lost is a fairly large new Nintendo IP, their first original mobile game, and has gotten major crossovers like Mega Man and Persona 5. And yet, his has nothing in Smash as of yet. It seems very suspicious to me.
    Euden's pros are simple to explain, and so are his cons. Nintendo seems to be moving away from mobile games, and Dragalia isn't available in the EU (Ironic, considering the guy's name). It's a better situation that, say, Takamaru, but a lack of global release could be still off-putting to Nintendo.
  • Ayumi - Ayumi's interesting because she would simultaneously be a retro rep and a "shill pick" thanks to FDC's status. If we're getting a promotional pick, she's one of the few viable options; All the characters reserved in advance had about a year before their game released, but COVID fricked things up. I'd say May is the cutoff date for any possible promotional characters. What's really interesting about Ayumi, though, is the fact that she was considered as far back as Smash 64, making her the oldest character we know of who was considered, scrapped, and wasn't added at a later date. Given the potential theme of second chances, Ayumi is certainly eye-catching.
    Still, this is a lot of what-ifs. Nintendo could decide she's too risky, she could end up as Spirit fodder, and the second-chance thing is mostly guesswork. She's someone to keep an eye on, but she's also fairly risky too.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Does anyone remember that leak from IndieGamerChick that said Banjo would be in & Jill was planned for base game but got cut? I can’t find the article anymore. Buuuut... puts tinfoil hat on...

Maybe after they couldn’t get Jill to work for base, they agreed to do the spirit event. But since FP2’s theme seems to be finishing content they couldn’t get to earlier, maybe they’re returning to Jill or Resident Evil. I think that’d be a pretty “E3 worthy” reveal & it could be where the MonHun costumes pop up again too.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I was about to ask why people think Star Fox is dead, then I realized Zero came out almost half a decade ago...

Star Fox has had a pretty rough run of it, honestly. It hibernates for a whole decade due to Nintendo not knowing what to do with the franchise, only be revived in an entry that was crippled by coming out on a console that was all but dead that ruined both its gameplay and sales.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
If I had a nickel for every time I heard this idea, I could personally commission Sakurai to add Black Shadow as an echo of Ganondorf, a character who he would actually make sense echoing.
Meanwhile the character that would fit Falcon's got a palette with more work put into it than any other due to the unique Hell Hawk phrase on it
Honestly it's so ****ing funny that Ayumi's being considered a frontrunner in any way. I've only seen a grand total of 1 person who's actually played any of her games whereas everyone else only wants her because Sakurai considered her in the past. My thoughts on her are completely neutral unless I play the games but it's so funny, like how Falcom's popularity completely blew up overnight after a single 4chan post

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Does anyone remember that leak from IndieGamerChick that said Banjo would be in & Jill was planned for base game but got cut? I can’t find the article anymore. Buuuut... puts tinfoil hat on...
Monster Hunter planned for base, Chun-Li planned for base, Jill planned for base....

Are we sure this wasn't supposed to be Nintendo vs Capcom?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I was about to ask why people think Star Fox is dead, then I realized Zero came out almost half a decade ago...

Star Fox has had a pretty rough run of it, honestly. It hibernates for a whole decade due to Nintendo not knowing what to do with the franchise, only be revived in an entry that was crippled by coming out on a console that was all but dead that ruined both its gameplay and sales.
But hey, that's what Switch ports are for.

I think...

Unless the Miitopia port is meant to forshadow more 3DS ports, which I wouldn't be against if it meant Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. and Ever Oasis were given another chance.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Maybe after they couldn’t get Jill to work for base, they agreed to do the spirit event. But since FP2’s theme seems to be finishing content they couldn’t get to earlier, maybe they’re returning to Jill or Resident Evil. I think that’d be a pretty “E3 worthy” reveal & it could be where the MonHun costumes pop up again too.
Everyone and their mother was calling Banjo and Capcom are notoriously easy to work with meaning that Jill negotiations falling apart makes no goddamn sense, I remember the rumour you're talking about fwiw so it wasn't some weird fever dream
Monster Hunter planned for base, Chun-Li planned for base, Jill planned for base....

Are we sure this wasn't supposed to be Nintendo vs Capcom?
We're sure, otherwise Samus would have the Shinespark

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

A lot more people thought Steve was possible than Waluigi due to the latter being an AT.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
But hey, that's what Switch ports are for.

I think...

Unless the Miitopia port is meant to forshadow more 3DS ports, which I wouldn't be against if it meant Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. and Ever Oasis were given another chance.
I'm not sure if Star Fox Zero will ever leave the Wii U unless they can find some way to replicate the GamePad or Miyamoto changes his mind about Zero needing to have a gimmick, unfortunately.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Everyone and their mother was calling Banjo and Capcom are notoriously easy to work with meaning that Jill negotiations falling apart makes no goddamn sense, I remember the rumour you're talking about fwiw so it wasn't some weird fever dream
I think the issue with Resident Evil would boil down to complications regarding censorship more than anything to do with faulty negotiations. Which I think would make sense, I'm certain Resident Evil was at least up for consideration at some point given its significance but I can't imagine it getting very far from a combination of realistic firearms and, more significantly, its grotesque zombie designs.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Meanwhile the character that would fit Falcon's got a palette with more work put into it than any other due to the unique Hell Hawk phrase on it

Honestly it's so ****ing funny that Ayumi's being considered a frontrunner in any way. I've only seen a grand total of 1 person who's actually played any of her games whereas everyone else only wants her because Sakurai considered her in the past. My thoughts on her are completely neutral unless I play the games but it's so funny, like how Falcom's popularity completely blew up overnight after a single 4chan post
That's Smash spec for ya. One leak, one new game, and you immediately rise up in the world. You just gotta sit back and hope you get lucky.

Unless you're Dark Souls or Tomb Raider, in which you become a frontrunner because people keep pushing you as a darkhorse only to realize everyone else is doing the same thing, making you not a darkhorse anymore.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If I had a nickel for every time I heard this idea, I could personally commission Sakurai to add Black Shadow as an echo of Ganondorf, a character who he would actually make sense echoing.
I've seen a suggestion that he'd get a sword themed after the Black Bull to make it work, and I find that absolutely hilarious. Not because the idea is stupid, mind you, it's just that it brings to mind Black Shadow clubbing people to death with his car and that is an amazing mental image.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I think the issue with Resident Evil would boil down to complications regarding censorship more than anything to do with faulty negotiations. Which I think would make sense, I'm certain Resident Evil was at least up for consideration at some point given its significance but I can't imagine it getting very far from a combination of realistic firearms and, more significantly, its grotesque zombie designs.
MvC2 did a decent job with making the RE Zombies appropriate for children:

Likewise, I don't think realistic firearms are much of an issue if Joker's casually brandishing a pistol.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I don't agree with that at all, very little effort is actually needed to put the zombies in for models and the more gruesome Tyrants don't even need to be adapted in that regard even if Mr. X and Nemesis can be done without too many changes. As for the guns, people really need to realize that Japan isn't that terrified of firearms considering how little children shows have people get shot at by people with realistic firearms, including getting murdered by them. Also the rating boards do not give a single **** if Joker's is actually a toy gun that only looks, acts and sounds just like the real thing

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Quick question. Who would you pick as the final two characters?

Realistically, I’d go with Bandana Dee and Crash.

In my fantasy realm, I’d go with Sora and Crash.
Realistically (somewhat) Ahri and either Octoling or Shantae or even Reimu

dream: Octoling and ...Elma... :crying:

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
MvC2 did a decent job with making the RE Zombies appropriate for children:

Likewise, I don't think realistic firearms are much of an issue if Joker's casually brandishing a pistol.
I don't agree with that at all, very little effort is actually needed to put the zombies in for models and the more gruesome Tyrants don't even need to be adapted in that regard even if Mr. X and Nemesis can be done without too many changes. As for the guns, people really need to realize that Japan isn't that terrified of firearms considering how little children shows have people get shot at by people with realistic firearms, including getting murdered by them. Also the rating boards do not give a single **** if Joker's is actually a toy gun that only looks, acts and sounds just like the real thing
Fair enough - keep in mind this is me coping with something that I really wanted and wholly expected in FP1, so it's not something I particularly agree with but I've convinced myself could have been a factor to better understand why it didn't pan out lmao.

I would LOVE for Jill to be in, and I'm glad you brought up MVC2 because that's my favorite iteration of the character and one I hope they would pull from if Jill is fortunate enough to join Smash someday.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Flaming
Fair enough - keep in mind this is me coping with something that I really wanted and wholly expected in FP1, so it's not something I particularly agree with but I've convinced myself could have been a factor to better understand why it didn't pan out lmao.

I would LOVE for Jill to be in, and I'm glad you brought up MVC2 because that's my favorite iteration of the character and one I hope they would pull from if Jill is fortunate enough to join Smash someday.
Instead of making up absolute bull**** that's easily disproven by literal children's television, simply embrace it and say it's because there's just so many fantastic choices from Capcom alone that the competition is fierce. That's how I cope anyway

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Quick question. Who would you pick as the final two characters?

Realistically, I’d go with Bandana Dee and Crash.

In my fantasy realm, I’d go with Sora and Crash.
Hayabusa and Crash or Hayabusa and Master Chief or Hayabusa and Doom Slayer. I’m good with any of those outcomes.

Actually I’m pretty much good with any outcome right now. Even if it doesn’t feature Hayabusa it was a fun ride.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The only characters left that I'd probably really pop off over are Crash, Master Chief, Eggman and Dixie Kong. I don't think any of them are really that likely at this point, though.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Honestly, I just want Capcom vs. Capcom: Ultimate.

Put every Capcom character from Tatsunoko, Ultimate Marvel 3, and Marvel Infinite into a single engine, remake some fan favourites from Capcom's 2-D fighters, and add a couple of new faces who have never been in a fighting game before. Bam, ten outta ten.

Granted, it would likely be more complicated than that (particularly updating the Tatsunoko to be more in line with the Marvel characters), but the general groundwork is there.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Are we really sure the mii costumes would actually deconfirm the hunter? Aren't those just two set of armors they can wear?

Hey for all we know they just could go for another type of armor and we would still get those miis back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom