• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I somehow doubt the free characters bit. Maybe at a huge discount and/or as individual characters but not free.
Yeah. They have added free stages before but they never added a free character. The lowest price DLC Smash characters have been retailed for were the three returning veterans in Smash 4 DLC (Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy) which retailed for only $1.99.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Guilty Gear Strive gave Ramlethal a quirk where she stutters and tries to call Sol 'dad'. Strive had a dub confirmed a long time ago. Why is this relevant? If Ramlethal was adopted by Sol, then by proxy, he adopted her sister Elphelt. Elphelt is dubbed by Cassandra Lee Morris, and it's been 4 characters since the last CLM character, which had a 4 character gap between the last one too, Sol confirmed baybeeeeeeee

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Not to put down on Lloyd, but I'm actually surprise how Lloyd is doing so well in recent popularity polls and happy to see him established the real fanbase in Japan too.

The official Tales poplarity poll has been a thing since 2003.
In the 2003's 1st poll, Lloyd didn't even make into the top 20. Tales of Symphonia was released this year in Japan and was a well-received title, so the characters were very popular at that time (even to this date).
In this poll, Kratos made in 3rd, Presea in 7th, Colette in 9th, Zelos in 10th, and Genis in 16th. But no Lloyd.
https://www.bandainamcoent.co.jp/cs/list/taleschannel/chrranking.html
In the 2005's 2nd poll, Kratos in the 1st place, Zelos in 3rd, and Presea in 5th, Colette in 7th. Lloyd was in 16th place.
https://www.bandainamcoent.co.jp/cs/list/taleschannel/character_popularity_vote_2nd/
In the 2006's 3rd poll, Symphonia characters slightly dropped their ranks, but still Kratos and Zelos both made into the top 10. Lloyd was in 24th this time.
https://www.bandainamcoent.co.jp/cs/list/taleschannel/ch_ranking_3rd/index2.php

But in the 2008's 4th poll, Lloyd suddenly made himself into the 4th place, beating Kratos and Zelos.
https://www.bandainamcoent.co.jp/cs/list/taleschannel/ch_ranking_4th/result.php
At that time, Lloyd was kind of a meme character in the Tales community for being unpopular despite he is a protagonist. The reason he boosted his popularity was because of Masaya Onosaka (VA of Zelos) and Tomokazu Seki(VA of Stahn). They said on TV show called "Viva ☆ Tales Of" that if Lloyd Irving somehow makes into the top 3 in the upcoming poll, they'll go full naked on the stage of Jump Festa 2009 (The result of the poll was announced on that stage).
Here is the article about it from Dengeki Online.

They did this fist pump because they didn't have to strip naked. See the towels on the table? Those were the towels they brought "just in case".
This event was very controversial in the community. Some people thought the poll was rigged by trolls. Some people actively disliking Lloyd is coming from this era.
Since then, voting for Lloyd to make him into the top 3 was a thing for a while but his best was this 4th poll. In the 5th poll, he was placed in 5th, but in the 6th poll, was in 8th place, the 9th poll, down to 9th place. This meme movement was clearly getting old at that time. I don't think newer fans of Tales don't even know about this event.

Lloyd today is doing fairly well in recent popularity polls. His exposure was indeed increased since this event, memes or not, but in the end, it helped his fanbase to grow in Japan too.
I also think him getting Mii costumed in Sm4sh was a big deal as well. That really made Japanese Tales fans to see him as an actual candidate to represent the Tales of series as a whole. He was from Game Cube so Smash fans were asking for him since Brawl anyway, but still making the people from outside of Smash to realize Lloyd isn't just a meme character anymore but actually a popular character was a huge step forward for him.
...Well then

That's an... Interesting bit of backstory to Lloyd.

We'll have to bring this back up if/when he ever gets into Smash.

Last edited:

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
Zhao Yun and Zagreus in that order

Koei-Tecmo are looking to be the likeliest to have a fighter in Smash if P/M doesn't happen to come with a Mii Costume of a KT character, and Musou is pretty much their specialty. Put 2 and 2 together, the face of Dynasty Warriors being added to Smash sounds just about right.

Hades is 1 of the most critically acclaimed games of 2020 and can easily be Supergiant's magnum opus. I do think Nintendo are looking for another character like Byleth where their video game debut came after the release of Ultimate, and with Hades being a Switch Exclusive title from 2020 despite the game being in Early Access in December 2018 as an Epic Exclusive but I like to believe the official release makes Zag a 2020 character, Zagreus would be the perfect candidate to fill that roll for DLC.

Plus I really like to think of how both their trailers would look. Zhao Yun's could be a giant music montage with all sorts of chaotic war **** going on while Zagreus' could have Palutena offering his Smash invitation through a boon where he goes in, dies, has a chat with his dad, and comes back to Smash powered up with boons.
Imo i feel like byleth counts as a kt rep since 3h is mostly their work and they will probably be developing the next few fire emblem games. Thats why i could see a KT rep not happening lol. Byleth is a kt character owned by Nintendo

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Imo i feel like byleth counts as a kt rep since 3h is mostly their work and they will probably be developing the next few fire emblem games. Thats why i could see a KT rep not happening lol. Byleth is a kt character owned by Nintendo
In my opinion, Byleth doesn't count as a KT rep because they don't own any part of Fire Emblem. It's entirely owned by Nintendo.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Guilty Gear Strive gave Ramlethal a quirk where she stutters and tries to call Sol 'dad'. Strive had a dub confirmed a long time ago. Why is this relevant? If Ramlethal was adopted by Sol, then by proxy, he adopted her sister Elphelt. Elphelt is dubbed by Cassandra Lee Morris, and it's been 4 characters since the last CLM character, which had a 4 character gap between the last one too, Sol confirmed baybeeeeeeee

Aye, fair enough. drinks drink

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion, Byleth doesn't count as a KT rep because they don't own any part of Fire Emblem. It's entirely owned by Nintendo.
Yeah i only say that because people consider characters like bayo and the Howard twins platinum reps despite astral chain being owned by Nintendo and Bayonetta owned by sega.

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
I somehow doubt the free characters bit. Maybe at a huge discount and/or as individual characters but not free.
I feel like its reached a point in revenue where they can just add a few echos yo the game for free or maybe as a limited time bonus where if you bought all dlc before a certain time, you get it for free

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Quick question. Who would you pick as the final two characters?
Hayabusa and...I'mma go with Arthur instead of Bill Rizer this time.

Didn't make it very far in the video because, lol, PapaGenos, but I hate how Sakurai tells us he wasn't hinting at anything with the PotD and tweet but people will still try to find hints anyway.
To be fair, Sakurai is not 100% trustworthy.

I don't see a double reveal at all. They're spaced out not because of COVID, but because it's meant to have 6 characters over 2 years. They're supposed to last as much of this year as possible.
And we know that because...2/3rds of the pass have already been announced with almost half of the time remaining even WITH the Covid delays?

I don't think the December 2021 release limit had anything to do with their intended schedule, they simply felt a generous end date was needed to manage expectations. Like "This 2nd pass isn't going to be done in just a year." But I don't think they had any intention of it taking the full 2.

The lack of gen 8 pokemon stuff is still notable.
It's notable that there was a lack of content from a game that...wasn't out when Ultimate came out? Were there supposed to be a bunch of Gen 8 Pokemon and songs in the base game before Sw/Sh were even out?

Octolings don't make sense as an echo because they'd have dual wielding guns and an entirely different arsenal. Semi-clone, yes, but free echo, no.
/coughs in Dark Samus

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Not going to happen, but it would be funny if Lloyd gets Rex'd by Colette. :p
Colette was my favorite character when I dabbled in Symphonia many years ago so I'd be okay with this.

That said, it would sting for fans of Lloyd so I hope we don't get anymore "Chrom'd" situations.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Back on the topic of more Splatoon reps, I doubt it for one (Technically) specific reason(s):

If we got a fighter from Splatoon, no matter which part of the series they're taken from, chances are all the other Splatoon content would release with them. It doesn't matter if it's not Splatoon 2 specifically, or if Octo Expansion has nothing, or if there's enough left over to make a fully original Octoling. Splatoon is Splatoon, and any Splatoon Miis would most likely come with the Splatoon fighter, regardless of which Splatoon specifically. I hope I don't come off as being a jerk and stomping on your wants, but we already got Splatoon content in this pass and I don't think we'll get a full Splatoon pack because of that.
Colette was my favorite character when I dabbled in Symphonia many years ago so I'd be okay with this.
I misread this as "dabbed."

I am not okay. I am far from okay. I need help immediately.

Last edited:

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. They have added free stages before but they never added a free character. The lowest price DLC Smash characters have been retailed for were the three returning veterans in Smash 4 DLC (Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy) which retailed for only $1.99.
Lol piranha plant..... I'm saying they could offer a limited timr bonus for people qho purchased both passes

D

Deleted member

Three Houses was indeed developed mostly by Koei-Tecmo, but to call Byleth a KT rep despite Fire Emblem belonging to Intelligent Systems is like calling Toon Link a Capcom character because of his 4 Swords alts.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I think Crash Bandicoot and the Monster Hunter Rise protagonists are our last two characters.

Crash's five year plan is real but the contents within it aren't revealed. However it makes sense for them to want Crash in smash since Activision are really pushing Crash Bandicoot within the last 4 years and I'm sure the amount of requests that Crash gets gives Activision incentive to do so. Besides that I think Nintendo would have planned to be at E3 during the planning for Fighter Pass 2 and so far we've been getting western oriented characters at E3 and along with him still being popular with the Japanese crowd, I'd say Crash Bandicoot is our next character after Pyra/Mythra.

Then you have the Monster Hunter dude from Rise. Nintendo is really supporting the game and it's new so it kind of feels like a Bayonetta situation based on how much Nintendo is supporting it. Along with ARMS, Final Fantasy 7 and Xenoblade, Nintendo is probably not satisfied with the amount of content the Monster Hunter series currently has so they'll probably wrap up the pass with MH Rise guy.

Yeah they're very safe picks but at this point I don't expect them to throw anymore curve balls.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
For a post pass/clone/echo pass i think of
Pick any 5:

10e. Ninten [Ness]
11e. Black Shadow [Captain Falcon]
16e. Impa [Sheik]
27e. Galacta Knight [Meta Knight]
31e. Liquid Snake [Snake]
32e. Black Knight [Ike]
35e. Charizard [Pokemon Trainer]
36e. Dixie Kong [Diddy Kong]
38e. Shadow [Sonic]
46e. Bass [Megaman]
61e. Zack [Cloud]
63e. Jeanne [Bayonetta]
64e. Octolings [Inklings]

Personally, I'd go with Black Shadow, Impa, Liquid Snake, Shadow and Bass.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Pick any 5:

10e. Ninten [Ness]
11e. Black Shadow [Captain Falcon]
16e. Impa [Sheik]
27e. Galacta Knight [Meta Knight]
31e. Liquid Snake [Snake]
32e. Black Knight [Ike]
35e. Charizard [Pokemon Trainer]
36e. Dixie Kong [Diddy Kong]
38e. Shadow [Sonic]
46e. Bass [Megaman]
61e. Zack [Cloud]
63e. Jeanne [Bayonetta]
64e. Octolings [Inklings]

Personally, I'd go with Black Shadow, Impa, Liquid Snake, Shadow and Bass.
Liquid Snake
Dixie Kong
Shadow
Bass
Octoling

Mapusaurus

Smash Apprentice
Not going to happen, but it would be funny if Lloyd gets Rex'd by Colette. :p
Thing about this whole Rex'd meme is that it will be probably apparent that rex was "snubbed" due to the fact that it would be incredibly impractical to have pyra/mythra in the background and them switching changing the move set rather than what we got.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey so

can I bring back my in universe teases theory now that I remember the Mythra alt in XC2 dialogue tease

tl;dr - P5 mentioned Super Bash Brothers; Deltarune mentioned Super Smashing Fighters which was a tease for the Sans Mii; Rodin in the switch port of Bayonetta 2 mentioned a tournament Bayo was in and he became an AT; and the aforementioned Mythra thing

also, yet to be realized
Elma (doubtful now unless they make a third pass/individual dlc... or even gasp double dip) - “Is true! Is dream of everyone to see Shulk and Elma in same place together!” Note both the Mythra alt and Elma were added before Torna iirc
Shantae - “I’m throwing the ULTIMATE slumber party, and EVERYONE is invited!” I think this was from Half Genie Hero idk
Octoling - final battle of Octo Expansion is a Turf War on the NILS statue where you detonate the hyperbombs. The flavor text says “Save Inkopolis from ultimate doom!”

any other teases I may be missing?

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
also, yet to be realized

Elma (doubtful now unless they make a third pass/individual dlc... or even gasp double dip) - “Is true! Is dream of everyone to see Shulk and Elma in same place together!”
Pretty certain that Archsage was referring to their DLC appearances in XC2 which allowed them to be in the same place together.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Pretty certain that Archsage was referring to their DLC appearances in XC2 which allowed them to be in the same place together.
I’d normally shrug that off were it not for Nia immediately following up with “Who the heck is ‘everyone’ in that sentence?” Followed by a brief silence. And that he didn’t mention Rex. To be fair he didn’t mention Pyra or Mythra either but I feel there are different circumstances for that

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I’d normally shrug that off were it not for Nia immediately following up with “Who the heck is ‘everyone’ in that sentence?” Followed by a brief silence. And that he didn’t mention Rex. To be fair he didn’t mention Pyra or Mythra either but I feel there are different circumstances for that
Now that I think about it, he could've just been talking about Xenoblade fans. Given the reception to Pyra/Mythra, I'm starting to doubt he meant Smash fans...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Hey so

can I bring back my in universe teases theory now that I remember the Mythra alt in XC2 dialogue tease

tl;dr - P5 mentioned Super Bash Brothers; Deltarune mentioned Super Smashing Fighters which was a tease for the Sans Mii; Rodin in the switch port of Bayonetta 2 mentioned a tournament Bayo was in and he became an AT; and the aforementioned Mythra thing

also, yet to be realized
Elma (doubtful now unless they make a third pass/individual dlc... or even gasp double dip) - “Is true! Is dream of everyone to see Shulk and Elma in same place together!” Note both the Mythra alt and Elma were added before Torna iirc
Shantae - “I’m throwing the ULTIMATE slumber party, and EVERYONE is invited!” I think this was from Half Genie Hero idk
Octoling - final battle of Octo Expansion is a Turf War on the NILS statue where you detonate the hyperbombs. The flavor text says “Save Inkopolis from ultimate doom!”

any other teases I may be missing?
This seems like a bit of a stretch, honestly. SSBU didn't invent the words "ultimate" and "everyone." If it's not an explicit reference, it's probably nothing.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
This implies the second pass was already far along to know which characters were locked. A quick google search shows me that Elma was at the very least available in August 2018. Let's say that development of that DLC took 6 months, that would mean that the second pass was locked in before Ultimate was announced. It hurts to say it but Elma isn't getting in.

Sidenote if Elma somehow does get in, I wonder how the community would go about Xenoblade. After all, people started getting upset at Fire Emblem for getting 2 characters, doubling it's characters back when Robin ane Lucina were announced, Xenoblade quadrupling it's characters because of DLC would easily make people do a 180, like how people also wanted Uprising content only to lose their **** that Smash 4 was too Kid Icarus centered like what happened with Kirby and Star Fox for Brawl. Funny how this happens.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Now this is some massive cope

It's obviously talking about reuniting the different main characters together in the same game. And Rex is obviously included in the group. Nothing to do with Smash.
For some reason, that second image makes me want to see Nintendo buy the rights to Xenosaga. Like THAT'LL ever happen...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
For some reason, that second image makes me want to see Nintendo buy the rights to Xenosaga. Like THAT'LL ever happen...
Yes because Nintendo's got such a good track record of giving neglected IPs love, isn't that right Star Fox, Punch Out, Chibi Robo, Captain Rainbow, Advance Wars, Golden Sun, etc?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Hey, at least they have something like Smash to give them an excuse to acknowledge their existance. Most game companies don't even bother.
Unfortunately Nintendo pretty much only uses Smash to give these IPs attention, if they're fortunate enough to get representation there. Otherwise it's pretty much their excuse to neglect them altogether but say "well at least they're in Smash!"

Compare this to Capcom who frequently props up their dormant series and characters among their most prominent and successful IPs. Darkstalkers, Captain Commando, Cyberbots, etc still get love in small but satisfactory ways. Cyberbots is getting some badass mecha figures out of nowhere, which I WISH Nintendo would do for even some of their BIG franchises, let alone their dead ones. Darkstalkers gets this treatment constantly.

Star Fox out of that list given is surprisingly treated pretty nicely for a "dead" or dormant franchise, so it feels out of place, but hell if any of the others get any love lmao. Hell, Punch Out is at least in Smash but still doesn't even have an AT and is limited to like 5 tracks. As a massive fan of the series, as happy as I am to have Little Mac in Smash it certainly doesn't feel like it's very well loved and respected (the less said about his gameplay design the better).

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I was reaching a point where I thought XC had missed the boat, but I always knew that between XCX and XC2, the latter would always win.

There's simply no reason to go back and promote X anymore, especially when there's a newer title that can actually be played on the Switch. It's no different than how they choose new Pokémon and FE characters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom