• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The game that kept me going through my rough patch in grad school was League of Legends (alongside copious amounts of hard drugs and EDM, but we'll ignore that) and I would hate to see that in Smash. But I am jealous that you connected so well to a character and game you enjoy. Would you be disappointed to see your girls appear as Mii costumes?

I agree. People who care about flow of the match, balance, and what have you already don't play with Final Smash on. May as well make them as exciting and cool looking as possible for casuals who do play with them.

And Smash isn't ready for Totsugeki
I would a bit, but if I get X music as compensation it’ll be worth

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
Pyra was a top predicted character. It's just she was predicted to be a pair with Rex and not with Mythra.
I know that Pyra was predicted with Rex but it seemed like a lot of people thought that wasn't going to happen because of the bonus Rex mii costume so they weren't really in the top predictions I've seen in speculation. Of course some people still predicted them but I never really saw them mentioned alongside the usual Crash, Dante, Hayabusa, etc. due to the whole mii costume thing.

Shroob

Sup?
I know that Pyra was predicted with Rex but it seemed like a lot of people thought that wasn't going to happen because of the bonus Rex mii costume so they weren't really in the top predictions I've seen in speculation. Of course some people still predicted them but I never really saw them mentioned alongside the usual Crash, Dante, Hayabusa, etc. due to the whole mii costume thing.
Different time, different place. Of course, as time went on, expectations would change, but it's an undeniable fact that the trinity of pre-Ultimate speculation was:

"A Gen 7 Pokemon(Decidueye), Rex, and SpringMan."

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
Different time, different place. Of course, as time went on, expectations would change, but it's an undeniable fact that the trinity of pre-Ultimate speculation was:

"A Gen 7 Pokemon(Decidueye), Rex, and SpringMan."
That is pretty funny looking back, considering the games were correct eventually but not those specific characters.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Who would legitimately angry if you got Yuri insted of Lloyd?
Why do people have to be angry on whether one character gets over the other? Some of us may prefer Lloyd over Yuri and vice-versa with Yuri over Lloyd, but some of us would just like to see the Tales series in Smash and could care less about who is chosen and be good with either.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Why do people have to be angry on whether one character gets over the other? Some of us may prefer Lloyd over Yuri and vice-versa with Yuri over Lloyd, but some of us would just like to see the Tales series in Smash and could care less about who is chosen and be good with either.
Hell, id be happy if Yuri simply got a mii costume.I just want me boy

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
dumb idea: POKEMON RIVAL! Take Silver from Gen 2 for example, he'd have an assortment of unique Pokemon instead of more ****ing starters. Maybe he'd have Feraligatr, but the other two can be something totally new like Haunter or Sneasel. Incorporate some ''evil'' looking guys. IDK, it just popped into my head last night.
Hmm. If we were to get a rival, it would probably be an actual character rather than a trainer class, and it would likely be Blue, Silver, or the newest main rival (let's just say Hop for now).
  • Blue's team hasn't changed much, but assuming no starters since Red already has that covered, he'd have Alakazam, Aerodactyl, Arcanine, Gyrados, Machamp, and Exeggutor to choose from.
  • I feel like Silver wouldn't get picked because Crobat is kind of a must, and it would be extremely difficult to implement him since he's always flying and has pretty rigid limbs. They might could make him an assist of some sort though. His other Pokémon would likely be Sneasel, Megneton, Gengar, Alakazam, and the three starters.
  • I feel like Hop would just have Zacian and Zamazenta, with Wooloo as a taunt character.
There are some interesting choices here, but I feel like they would be better as Pokémon Trainer alternate costumes.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Hmm. If we were to get a rival, it would probably be an actual character rather than a trainer class, and it would likely be Blue, Silver, or the newest main rival (let's just say Hop for now).
  • Blue's team hasn't changed much, but assuming no starters since Red already has that covered, he'd have Alakazam, Aerodactyl, Arcanine, Gyrados, Machamp, and Exeggutor to choose from.
  • I feel like Silver wouldn't get picked because Crobat is kind of a must, and it would be extremely difficult to implement him since he's always flying and has pretty rigid limbs. They might could make him an assist of some sort though. His other Pokémon would likely be Sneasel, Megneton, Gengar, Alakazam, and the three starters.
  • I feel like Hop would just have Zacian and Zamazenta, with Wooloo as a taunt character.
There are some interesting choices here, but I feel like they would be better as Pokémon Trainer alternate costumes.
Team Rocket is also an option if they wanted another pokemon trainer. Swaps between Meowth, Wobbuffet, and Carnivine or something.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
It's a choice between the guy popular almost exclusively to Nintendo fans
Versus the guy popular with literally the entire rest of the fanbase
Not to mention, Yuri is the one with a presence on Switch too.

Gotta be honest: with the way things seem to be shaping up right now, I'm kinda worried we might actually be skipping the "lower-key third-party" slot this time around since it makes up almost all of my current wants
I'm starting to feel that way too, but it's mostly just end-of-DLC jitters. I would have arbitrarily assumed a first party would be the last character, so there's nothing saying we can't get a more niche third party as the last character instead. Just doesn't seem like an E3 pick is all, so there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of space.

I've personally lost a lot of faith in a couple of my MWs and that's fine. It'll just make it more rewarding if it does happen somehow, although it does bum me out that we're reaching the end of the line and admittedly I haven't gotten a DLC character who really speaks to me personally yet.

Although I do love Terry, and Piranha Plant is really fun to play.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The game that kept me going through my rough patch in grad school was League of Legends (alongside copious amounts of hard drugs and EDM, but we'll ignore that) and I would hate to see that in Smash. But I am jealous that you connected so well to a character and game you enjoy. Would you be disappointed to see your girls appear as Mii costumes?

I agree. People who care about flow of the match, balance, and what have you already don't play with Final Smash on. May as well make them as exciting and cool looking as possible for casuals who do play with them.

And Smash isn't ready for Totsugeki
To be fair... the reason we play with FS off in the first place is because they're unbalanced and have no counterplay. And it's because of this that we miss out on seeing some amazing Super usages in tournaments... like you'd see in literally any other fighting game.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
To be fair... the reason we play with FS off in the first place is because they're unbalanced and have no counterplay. And it's because of this that we miss out on seeing some amazing Super usages in tournaments... like you'd see in literally any other fighting game.
The best partnof actuall fighting games are the moments the specials come out

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
Gotta be honest: with the way things seem to be shaping up right now, I'm kinda worried we might actually be skipping the "lower-key third-party" slot this time around since it makes up almost all of my current wants
Same with my wants. Who knows though, Terry was second to last in pass 1. This next character does seem to line up with E3 though which might point to a bigger character.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if there's an alternative here though. Smash isn't like other fighting games. We do have some characters in the game with a super-meter esque mechanic (Cloud, Joker, Little Mac, Terry, Wario) and I think it would be hard to implement a universal Super mechanic without clashing with the uniqueness of those characters.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Octoling is the last fighter (and preferably has tons of differences to Inkling) because of Splatoon 3 and because the game's first character revealed was Inkling. Imagine starting with Inkling and ending with Octoling (or a hypothetical echo pass could have Octoling as the last one shown off, preferably).

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
Well if Sakurai/Nintendo are choosing the characters based on their mechanics, then Shantae and Rayman really benefits from this, can’t say the same about Monster hunter because Byleth already exists, and nothing is going to make me think otherwise

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I think you're right. So far, this pass is dedicated to headliner-class third parties and 1st/2nd parties that slipped through the cracks of base game development.

I'd love Octoling, but there's no way we're getting them in the pass.
Image result for callie and marie mii

these mii costumes came with Min Min. If we were getting a Splatoon character, they would come with a Splatoon character.
I just realized.......that's not a splat gun. What is she doing with an RCP90? (I owe all of my gun knowledge to GoldenEye 64)

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well if Sakurai/Nintendo are choosing the characters based on their mechanics, then Shantae and Rayman really benefits from this, can’t say the same about Monster hunter because Byleth already exists, and nothing is going to make me think otherwise
It's easy enough to take any character and add a unique feature to them to make them stand out.

Monster Hunter in particular has never been about using multiple weapons in battle, it's about laying traps, preparing your equipment, learning the ins and outs of the monster you're hunting, and realizing the full extent of your unique weapon at your disposal.

MvCI just went with the multi-weapon thing because it's radical as hell to see.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm not sure if there's an alternative here though. Smash isn't like other fighting games. We do have some characters in the game with a super-meter esque mechanic (Cloud, Joker, Little Mac, Terry, Wario) and I think it would be hard to implement a universal Super mechanic without clashing with the uniqueness of those characters.
True, but like I said, Final Smashes are already nerfed when using meter, which is a good step forward. Thing is, many of them still have long invincibility periods and/or kill at 30% (or even earlier, depending on the character). That's like if every MvC Level 1 killed a character on use or if Sol's Dragon Install rendered him 100% immune to attacks and he didn't have his "stunned" state at the end of it. It just won't work in a competitive setting.

So the solution would be to think of Final Smashes - from a conceptual standpoint - as Level 1 supers rather than Instant Kills or Fatalities. Hell, maybe start incorporating two Final Smashes, one for each purpose, then add a toggle so people can turn the stronger one off in competitive or something.

So let's see:

Reddit's angry because "Anime swords!" and "Literally who?!"

ResetEra is banning for saying they're hot

Twitter is upset, nothing else is new here

So it's just another normal day, huh?
So what you're telling me is... they're sending people to horny jail? :4pacman:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You'd definitely have to redesign most, if not all of the characters pretty heavily to accommodate the new mechanic.

Ivander

Smash Legend
i remember, a long time ago, there was a trend where profile pictures were people sipping coffee. I remember there was a Min Min, Pyra, Mythra, and Corrin one.

I think it's a good omen. Time to draw Frisk with coffee.
The Pyra one is literally just an in-game image of her having tea or coffee. Sometimes a gif with the text changed.

Meanwhile, I think the other ones are based on whatever image the tea/coffee meme is from, but the Corrin one is easy to find.

KingDoop

Smash Cadet
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Octoling is the last fighter (and preferably has tons of differences to Inkling) because of Splatoon 3 and because the game's first character revealed was Inkling. Imagine starting with Inkling and ending with Octoling (or a hypothetical echo pass could have Octoling as the last one shown off, preferably).
On the final character reveal, I imagine Sakurai sitting there saying "this will be the final character. But first, let's take a trip down memory lane." At this point short clips of all the reveal trailers start playing, starting with the most recent, and ending with the Inkling. And as she is staring into the smash light...she gets shot by an E-liter. Octoling takes aim!

Though I would actually prefer D.J Octavio since the dlc so far has been neglecting super heavies.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I've personally lost a lot of faith in a couple of my MWs and that's fine. It'll just make it more rewarding if it does happen somehow, although it does bum me out that we're reaching the end of the line and admittedly I haven't gotten a DLC character who really speaks to me personally yet.

Although I do love Terry, and Piranha Plant is really fun to play.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I really like that Sephiroth's here and I ****ing loved Terry and his reveal was still one of my favorite days in my time speculating Smash

But Terry was already a pretty long time ago, enough time for me to kinda feel like "hmmmm it'd be nice to get another character i want". And while Sephiroth was ****ing great, he ultimately didn't scratch that itch for me.

If the larger community's assumption is correct that CP10 is someone like Crash or Monster Hunter and CP11 is another first-party, then pretty much my only hope is that they somehow pull Isaac out of their asses and if that doesn't happen, then I will simply learn to appreciate what I've got and get hyped over Terry all over again :192:

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
I'd love Octoling, but there's no way we're getting them in the pass.
Image result for callie and marie mii

these mii costumes came with Min Min. If we were getting a Splatoon character, they would come with a Splatoon character.
That's true. I keep on forgetting about that. That being said, like I mentioned, Octoling in an echo pass is not out of the question.

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
It's easy enough to take any character and add a unique feature to them to make them stand out.

Monster Hunter in particular has never been about using multiple weapons in battle, it's about laying traps, preparing your equipment, learning the ins and outs of the monster you're hunting, and realizing the full extent of your unique weapon at your disposal.

MvCI just went with the multi-weapon thing because it's radical as hell to see.
Now that would be simply amazing, putting traps on the stage for example, oh my

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
Imma keep it real with u chief

X has literally made an impact on me when I was going through a tough time in my life. Exploring that vast sci-fi world helped get my mind off my troubles. It’s also the sci-fi JRPG I’ve craved since the OG Xenosaga trilogy. While I enjoy stuff like Star Ocean, it kinda lacks that... vibe that Xenosaga and X have

that’s why I’m hoping Kossy and Elma survive this pack AND they announce more fighters still. I wanna see this impactful game represented in full
I think Elma is dead but Kos-Mos still has a shot. This all depends on if Kos-Mos gets a mii(which is likely) or they decide to make her xc2 appearance a spirit. Elma though I don't really think will happen unless there's a new X related Xenoblade or they make a xenoblade warriors. I have a feeling Elma was considered for dlc but was overshined by XC2 characters. Also the possibility of xcx music coming with pyra/mythra.

I would start thinking of Elma as a possibility when an x port is announced so like summer 2021 at the earliest and middle 2022 as the latest which is based on monolith soft saying in late 2018 an X port is too expensive. An X port is probably in development rn due to the sales of DE and 2.

I am going to wish you the best of luck that both of those happen at the perfect time lol

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Honestly, I think if you really want to go for that "scaled-back roster, cool new movesets" idea people talk about for a Smash 6, I think having a universal super mechanic would be a great choice. You need some crazy new mechanics if you want to sell me on a smaller roster. I'd love it if you had supers on the Y button or something like that, and they worked like specials but cost varying amounts of meter. That'd give every character at least four more options.

Oh, also, I can't lie - there's part of me that would like to see all the resource and meter gimmicks in Smash standardized into a universal thing, because a lot of them work too similarly for me to feel like they're crazy different from each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom