• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's easy enough to take any character and add a unique feature to them to make them stand out.

Monster Hunter in particular has never been about using multiple weapons in battle, it's about laying traps, preparing your equipment, learning the ins and outs of the monster you're hunting, and realizing the full extent of your unique weapon at your disposal.

MvCI just went with the multi-weapon thing because it's radical as hell to see.
I really want to see Monster Hunter use just a greatsword, but with a lot of moves that have spacing purposes. Like if f-tilt had them step forward to get distance and f-smash had them step back to avoid getting hit. A lot of those types of moves were taken out in Ultimate, so it would be neat to see a character focusing on those kinds of options.

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
That's true. I keep on forgetting about that. That being said, like I mentioned, Octoling in an echo pass is not out of the question.
I don't think there will be an echo pass unless its free or an echo comes with a fighter. Standalone fighters are more likely

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So let's see:

Reddit's angry because "Anime swords!" and "Literally who?!"

ResetEra is banning for saying they're hot

Twitter is upset, nothing else is new here

So it's just another normal day, huh?
We can always blame Mercury retrograde.

If you're into astrology, it makes a lot of sense that Pyra and Mythra where revealed under this period.

Anyway, I love the chaos.

Gonna see if I can get XB2 for cheap somewhere.
I really want to see Monster Hunter use just a greatsword, but with a lot of moves that have spacing purposes. Like if f-tilt had them step forward to get distance and f-smash had them step back to avoid getting hit. A lot of those types of moves were taken out in Ultimate, so it would be neat to see a character focusing on those kinds of options.
I also just wanna see Monster Hunter use the Great Sword, and traps. Would be a blast of a character.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Welp, that seals it. Fighter's Pass 2 is the end. We already knew this, but this confirms it.

And no, just because they "don't have plans" doesn't mean they'll make any more. There's only two more reveals left, and two will most likely take about 2-6 months. They're not going to churn out any more plans on such short notice.

As for the "no plans for future games" thing, who knows. That's a bridge we'll cross when we get to it. There's little time left with Ultimate; Let's make the most of it before we start thinking about anything else. Stay in the present, y'know?

EDIT: AW %$#@ THIS FROM LAST YEAR

%$#@ %$#@ %$#@

Ignore this. This is not new information and does not change anything. We already know this.

Last edited:

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
I don't think there will be an echo pass unless its free or an echo comes with a fighter. Standalone fighters are more likely
It could just be something announced at the end as a final gift to us. There's actually some coincidences which lead me to believe we could get an echo pass: https://www.dexerto.com/smash/compl...creen-hints-at-a-third-fighters-pass-1378099/

Also, there was that whole 16 character files thing datamined the WoL in the base game, but I guess we can discredit that as being a hint for 4 more characters unless Pyra & Mythra take up one slot (which they might anyways).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Honestly, I think if you really want to go for that "scaled-back roster, cool new movesets" idea people talk about for a Smash 6, I think having a universal super mechanic would be a great choice. You need some crazy new mechanics if you want to sell me on a smaller roster. I'd love it if you had supers on the Y button or something like that, and they worked like specials but cost varying amounts of meter. That'd give every character at least four more options.

Oh, also, I can't lie - there's part of me that would like to see all the resource and meter gimmicks in Smash standardized into a universal thing, because a lot of them work too similarly for me to feel like they're crazy different from each other.
Characters that build meter might just absorb into the universal meter, but characters with special ones like Hero would likely just ignore the mechanic entirely.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Welp, that seals it. Fighter's Pass 2 is the end. We already knew this, but this confirms it.

And no, just because they "don't have plans" doesn't mean they'll make any more. There's only two more reveals left, and two will most likely take about 2-6 months. They're not going to churn out any more plans on such short notice.

As for the "no plans for future games" thing, who knows. That's a bridge we'll cross when we get to it. There's little time left with Ultimate; Let's make the most of it before we start thinking about anything else. Stay in the present, y'know?

%$#@ %$#@ %$#@
LOL 2020. Remember that year? It's like it never ended

Shroob

Sup?

%$#@ %$#@ %$#@
Fastest edit in the west. :101:

SKX31

Smash Master
Oh? So you're saying we are getting a third Volume for sure, then? :4pacman:

(I feel like I've used the Pac-Man emote a lot more today, for some reason).
Which reinforces the fact that Pacman is the single best addition to smash history and Smash 4 did something right :4pacman: :4pacman: :4pacman: :4pacman:
Because the 4 Pac-Man emote is just... perfect. The outstretched arm, the **** eating grin, the angle. The Ultimate version doesn't even come close.

Perfect for the kind of character who spams Hydrants, tosses out a number of random stuff to do all kinds of effects on you, and carries you to the blast zone with just his F-Air.

Last edited:

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
It could just be something announced at the end as a final gift to us. There's actually some coincidences which lead me to believe we could get an echo pass: https://www.dexerto.com/smash/compl...creen-hints-at-a-third-fighters-pass-1378099/

Also, there was that whole 16 character files thing datamined the WoL in the base game, but I guess we can discredit that as being a hint for 4 more characters unless Pyra & Mythra take up one slot (which they might anyways).
i completely forgot about that. Sakurai said there is only 5 dlc characters left back when min min came out and they are in development. iF A character is gived through an update at no cost, it isn't considered dlc. Since fp2 is doing so well, i feel like they would give away echoes for free as a celebration.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
So let's see:

It's funny too because a lot of people agreed that Xenoblade was long deserving of another character until we actually got one (or two, rather). Now they're just "more anime swordsmen" and a "wasted slot".

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
It's funny too because a lot of people agreed that Xenoblade was long deserving of another character until we actually got one (or two, rather). Now they're just "more anime swordsmen" and a "wasted slot".
A lot of people seem to be mad it isn't Rex despite them literally having the same moveset he would lol.

Then they will proceed to act like they were all XC2 fans the entire time after the sakurai presents ends so who cares lmfao. They always jump on some dumb bandwagon. It's the cycle that every character goes through

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Characters that build meter might just absorb into the universal meter, but characters with special ones like Hero would likely just ignore the mechanic entirely.
I mean, that's a question you'd have to answer if you were putting it directly into Ultimate. But if this is for a new game, there's all kinds of things that could happen. We could be looking at Everyone is Here Again, or we could have drastic cuts so Hero never even comes back in the first place, or maybe everyone gets a new moveset anyway, or maybe characters just get renovated to replace their unique resources regardless of how core they are to their kits. It's a brand new world for a brand mechanic, is my point.

Anyway, if I were to fit Hero into the "Y-Meter" idea, I'd get rid of the MP cost on Frizz, Zap, and Woosh, and instead make them something more like Gigaflare where the cost is the increased charge time. Give him a new down-B more in line with his other specials. Then you could put Command Selection on his supers, with a fixed selection for neutral, side, up, and down specials; with varying bars for each spell. Or something like that.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So let's see:

Even if some people are mad, there is clearly nowhere near as much outrage as Byleth caused. I think at least part of that is due to the timing. If they were last, you could easily imagine the outrage would be massive.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I just realized one thing.

After March... are we gonna see a different kind of character loyalists? Specifically, waifu wars between Pyra mains and Mythra mains?

...Sakurai, what have you done
The introduction of some B-tier waifus won't shake up the Smash waifu wars c'mon. We would need like 2B or ****ing Saber to come in order to dethrone LBW Zelda.

Also lol separate Pyra and Mythra mains. I'm sure they'll exist alongside all the solo Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard mains :079:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
A lot of people seem to be mad it isn't Rex despite them literally having the same moveset he would lol.
I don't know about that. Rex isn't as graceful of a sword user, and there's the whole driver-blade dynamic we missed out on. Their blade specials would probably not have been as prominent if he were the playable character as well.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
No they don't. The Blade Specials might have been the same, but Rex would have been much more unga bunga with his attacks, and the special set would have been different since they would have given him his Driver Arts.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Even if some people are mad, there is clearly nowhere near as much outrage as Byleth caused. I think at least part of that is due to the timing. If they were last, you could easily imagine the outrage would be massive.
Bayonetta got a surprisingly good reception and she was the last DLC in Smash 4. I could see the last character at least getting the same level of love.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Considering we don't see Squirtle, Ivysaur, or Charizard mains...No.
The introduction of some B-tier waifus won't shake up the Smash waifu wars c'mon. We would need like 2B or ****ing Saber to come in order to dethrone LBW Zelda.

Also lol separate Pyra and Mythra mains. I'm sure they'll exist alongside all the solo Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard mains :079:
...It was a joke, guys. Maybe I should have added one of these. :4pacman:

Also, Pillow, I love how you said "shake up the Smash waifu wars" like there's a whole metagame out there based only on competitive waifu wars lol.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
So, what do you guys think is the likelihood that we'd get an Echo Fighters pass? There are plenty of characters who'd be great fits for Smash that could be made from existing characters.

Who would legitimately angry if you got Yuri instead of Lloyd?
Not personally (I've long since given up on seeing Luke as a fighter), but I'd be a bit disappointed for other people who really wanted Lloyd.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Bayonetta got a surprisingly good reception and she was the last DLC in Smash 4. I could see the last character at least getting the same level of love.
Depends. I personally am expecting a smaller third party (something around Terry, Bayonetta sort of size. Maybe Hayabusa or Adol) to be our pass ender. If we get something like that I think it would make sense.

The other thing is we might get a final smash presentation in June, revealing who they have left. We did get two characters at e3 2019 after all.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So, what do you guys think is the likelihood that we'd get an Echo Fighters pass? There are plenty of characters who'd be great fits for Smash that could be made from existing characters.

Not personally (I've long since given up on seeing Luke as a fighter), but I'd be a bit disappointed for other people who really wanted Lloyd.
I highly doubt we'll be getting any sort of post-FP2 content. After Min Min, it was clearly stated that FP2 will be the end, and until further notice I'm expecting that to hold up.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Like always. A 50% chance. Either they do or they don't.

D

Deleted member

Man the Color Theorist in me kinda feels dead inside when Pyra/Mythra's background color is the greenish-cyan color. This must be how everyone feels about Color Theory the first go around.

12325eefadfs.png

But onto something else, Pyra and Mythra are 2 separate fighters. Did any of you guys think we were going to get 2 Fighters in 1 Pack before the 17th? I thought we were and the characters in question were going to be Billy and Jimmy from Double Dragon, but they're pretty much dead in the water now since I doubt Nintendo or Sakurai are going to do another 2 in 1 deal in the last 2 Challenger Packs.

Shroob

Sup?

I'm open to the idea, but with how much this pass really does feel like "Going back and grabbing what we couldn't the first time", and it'll only feel even more like that if Monster Hunter gets in, I'm starting to lean heavily on "Pass 2 is it."

I'm open to the idea of a Surprise at the end of Pass 2 no doubt, but this pass really does feel like it's tying a ribbon on all the loose ends.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So let's see:

Water is wet.
ResetEra is that child that put his hands on his ears and scream "LALALALALALALA" When you spit fact, go to see her mom if you ever do anything bad to snitch, if you dont think like him, he'll call you a liar and meanie and the only way to be it's friend is by being in it's super sekrit club. No Too Hot girls allowed.

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
No they don't. The Blade Specials might have been the same, but Rex would have been much more unga bunga with his attacks, and the special set would have been different since they would have given him his Driver Arts.
I feel like they would have kept the same moveset but made him heavier with more lag. and for the driver arts I literally saw pyra use double spinning edge and sword bash lol or things similar to it. The only thing that isnt in there/doesn't have anything similar is anchor shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom