• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Oh thread is unlocked, nice.

My feeling summarized: Given the timing of the reveal I was pretty much expecting a 1st party character. While I'm not really a Xenoblade 2 fan, I'm happy it's Pyra and not Rex, Waluigi, or Cinderace so this is an absolute win for me.

With Rex off the table and Pokemon Day being so near, I'm also pretty confident we won't be seeing another 1st party character for the rest of this pass.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
at the very least, Rex being Chrom'd pretty much proves that DLC costumes do, in fact, deconfirm
We still don't know for certain if that's the reason for Rex's exclusion, though. It could just be a case of them going for Pyra and Mythra since they're the most popular characters from the game and make up the majority of merchandise, or maybe it was difficult to implement the Driver and Blade system into Smash.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Okay, so this is the second time after Min Min where the obvious front-runner was in another role so they opted for plan b instead.

Not sure if this bodes well for characters with prexisting roles
The biggest thing that would make me throw in the towel is Jenna/Garet. I think Sakurai would know that Isaac would 100% work as a Felix/Matthew alt, and if he made a Mars Adept the GS fighter, he wouldn't have to worry about that.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Is there gonna be a name for Pyra and Mythra so I don't have to type them both every time (like Pokemon Trainer for Squirle, Ivysaur, and Charizard).

Would it be Aegis or Penumia?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Okay, so this is the second time after Min Min where the obvious front-runner was in another role so they opted for plan b instead.

Yeah, looks like Spirits are the only thing that can get promoted.

Since Pyra and Mythra are protagonists? The protagonist first rule hasn't been broken right?
Eeeeeh. They're more like deuteragonists, though I'm not sure what Mythra's role in the DLCquel is.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Other than Skyward Sword, that direct was underwhelming as hell.

Did anyone see a game that they were absolutely thrilled for in that direct?

toonito

Smash Ace
since the dlc thread's locked

cool choice congrats to the pyra/mythra fans

spirits don't disconfirm (we knew this from Min Min) Mii costumes do and tbh i think ATs do as well

rex got bodied lol him and spring man are drinking their sorrows lol

i wonder if this fighters pass is a theme of revisiting established franchises

both ARMS and XC2 got in after seemingly missing a cut

FF7 was revisited after many people lamented its lack of content

according to Minecraft devs negotiations for Steve occurred back in 2015 finally coming to fruition 5 years later

even though current fighters don't dictate future fighters maybe we should look at franchises that can be expanded upon

if anything i feel like the chances of a Gen 8 rep went up slightly it is definitely my most likely 1st party rep remaining
edit: Mai died for this?! lol

more thoughts

the three big "leaks" (Reimu/KOS-MOS/Crash, Ryu/Doom Slayer/Rayman, and Chun-Li/Tales) took a hit

Elma and KOS-MOS i think are done

"voice" theory technically came true lol

to be honest Pyra/Mythra are my 2nd favorite character from this pass so far

:ultsephiroth:> Pyra/Mythra > :ultminmin > :ultsteve:

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Since Pyra and Mythra are protagonists? The protagonist first rule hasn't been broken right?

ARMS doesn't count since everyone is the protagonist.
Hohoho looking forward to this one

I remember arguing once that the way Sakurai worded it any playable character/party member could count as a protagonist and therefore a different XB2 character could get in
Certain people were sure to tell me that noooooo it's totally different, that's not the case at all and that I was super duper wrong
I always win baby (ignore all the times I didn't win)

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Well Pyra/Mythra killed the slim chance for Sora getting in this pass since we now have 2 JRPG characters. Was hoping Sora got in on a technicality of being owned by Disney and being different enough from Sephiroth to not overlap TOO much.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Other than Skyward Sword, that direct was underwhelming as hell.

Did anyone see a game that they were absolutely thrilled for in that direct?
No More Heroes 3 looked tight and Triangle Strategy looks really cool
Otherwise a very resounding "meh"

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I really don't like when the main characters gets bypassed by a secondary character... and this is no exception!

Since this reveal is firmly in "how the ****" territory for me, allow me to go right back into speculation mode and jump to a hasty conclusion. I think this bodes poorly for any character with major base game representation. That's the only explanation I can find for some of this Pass' decisions unless Nintendo really wanted some T&A in their game.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Guys, Pyra and Mythra are really popular characters, super popular in fact. More popular than any other character in XC2, including Rex. Is it really wild that they would pick them as a stance character for that reason instead of because of Rex being a mii costume?

For all we know it could be a similair situation with Min Min where Nintendo told Sakurai to put in a XC2 character and he went to Takahashi to ask him for his thoughts.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

While we're likely not going to get any characters like that anyway unfortunately, I still think this doesn't mean much as a reasoning against them (specifically talking about this, not suggesting they're likely or anything since they don't seem to be), especially with Spring Man being said to not be the protagonist as there are none in ARMS despite still being pushed as the heroic main face smh and the ARMS director choosing Min Min.

Also due to Bomberman having an AT yet getting an identical mii costume alongside Steve, and Rex at least being featured in the final smash and his mii clearly not being something that could confuse anyone.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I'm looking forward to the day when a fighter reveal gives me giggles the entire way the same way Steve did. For now, I'm perfectly content with who we're getting.

Plus, my younger big brother would be happy for their looks alone (believe it or not, despite that, he's an amazing family man).

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Well Pyra/Mythra killed the slim chance for Sora getting in this pass since we now have 2 JRPG characters.
Yeah, **** the Fighter pass 1 for having 3 JRPG character.
And **** the Smash 4 DLC for having 4.

It's like Characters get in by their own merits than the genre they're from or something-

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So with all this said. Who do you think had it worst? xD
  1. Chrom getting beaten up so badly by Captain Falcon that he had to wait an entire game just to get in.
  2. Spring Man getting humiliated by not just Min Min but the entirety of the Arms cast.
  3. Rex's Bladefus running off without telling him and just accepting it.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So...

You guys ready for the next Mii Costume lineup?

I'll post some bigger thoughts on PM later for now just answer this question.
if Elma has to be Mii'd ill accept it as long as we get X music with Pythra

as for other miis, im expecting lloyd and/or the MH ones. and maybe hollow knight

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
So with all this said. Who do you think had it worst? xD
  1. Chrom getting beaten up so badly by Captain Falcon that he had to wait an entire game just to get in.
  2. Spring Man getting humiliated by not just Min Min but the entirety of the Arms cast.
  3. Rex's Bladefus running off without telling him and just accepting it.
please stop it michael for christ's sake-

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So protagonist first rule broken then?
You and your rules. It was never a rule, it's just a very strong trend that will continue after this as well.

It's also possible that making sure some roles don't overlap supersedes opting for protagonists. Because in both cases that's been the case.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Congratulations to everyone who wanted a XC2 character! I certainly wasn’t expecting Pyra and Mythra, I didn’t even know Pyra without Rex was possible.
Despite the characters not being my thing. The swap mechanic they have is very interesting.

I got burned pretty bad with the direct overall. No BotW2 info, nor even a mention of Metroid (not entirely surprising). No Smash news other than Pyra/Mythra, guess the tweet just meant nothing.

Ah well. Nothing to do about that now. Excited to see the moveset!

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I'm not even a Xenoblade fan and I appreciate them being here.

Like, Xenoblade feels like a series that Nintendo PUSHED hard to be big, and it only having one character always felt odd.

With now MinMin and Pyra/Mythra, looks like our early day speculation of "Gen 7 Pokemon, ARMs rep, and XB2 rep" finally came true.
Hey, yeah, I do remember that! Remember the fake leak with Spring Man & Decidueye? Good times.
guess the tweet just meant nothing.
When have Sakurai's tweets for Directs ever meant anything? He even said they don't himself!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom