• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Nothing new, but now it's double official.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
And honestly? I think tomorrow is make it or break it for Pokemon, imo of course.

People seem, at least I assume so, set in the belief that Mario's more or less done for the pass, if only partly due to the Mario 35th anni ending next month and **** all coming from it in terms of Mario content in the pass.

Same could be said of Monster Hunter. If Monster Hunter ISN'T next, then it feels like a huge, failed marketing opportunity to have Hunter in Smash as a sort of promotional nudge towards Rise, which, is a timed exclusive, so for all intents and purposes, Nintendo wants to push that as hard as possible.

This Pokemon anni feels like do or die for Pokemon in the pass. If Pokemon's going to lay out all the **** it has planned for 2021 for us, you'd imagine that the Smash character would be released to tie closely into it.
Well, the only Mario characters that seemed to have a shot for DLC, to me, were Geno and Waluigi. Now Geno is presumably out, and Waluigi... not being FP7 doesn't make him any less likely to me, because I didn't subscribe to the anniversary being the only time a Mario character could show up. Whether he still has a chance or not comes down to individual thoughts on AT upgrades. I think it's unwise to consider that possibility off the table.

Monster Hunter would make sense to be next from a promotional perspective, but it's not so crucial they be next that being FP10 or 11 is unfathomable. And I'd say the same about Pokemon. Remember the anniversary just starts in February.

But before we even get to that step, tying a character to an anniversary is already a specious proposition considering Smash doesn't really do things that way. If it happened, it'd probably be incidental. And something to keep in mind about Pokemon is it would've made more sense, from a promotional perspective, to include an eighth gen character closer to the games featuring those mons, i.e. last year.

On the other hand, and to dispute the above examples needing to correspond timing-wise, Byleth showed up in the worst spot of FP1 to promote 3H. Any other position in that pass would've placed the character closer to that game.

The biggest takeaway of all of this is I'd caution not to count things out just because they don't show up at the most ideal time.

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
For tomorrow direct, I just hoping that they announce the official English localization of either Famicon Tantei Club Remake or Buddy Mission BOND in the presentation. I also hope that the Smash reveal isn't tied to a specific event like Blizzcon 2021 (Feb 19-20) or Japan Fighting Game Publishers Roundtable (Feb. 20).

Shroob

Sup?
Well, the only Mario characters that seemed to have a shot for DLC, to me, were Geno and Waluigi. Now Geno is presumably out, and Waluigi... not being FP7 doesn't make him any less likely to me, because I didn't subscribe to the anniversary being the only time a Mario character could show up. Whether he still has a chance or not comes down to individual thoughts on AT upgrades. I think it's unwise to consider that possibility off the table.

Monster Hunter would make sense to be next from a promotional perspective, but it's not so crucial they be next that being FP10 or 11 is unfathomable. And I'd say the same about Pokemon. Remember the anniversary just starts in February.

But before we even get to that step, tying a character to an anniversary is already a specious proposition considering Smash doesn't really do things that way. If it happened, it'd probably be incidental. And something to keep in mind about Pokemon is it would've made more sense, from a promotional perspective, to include an eighth gen character closer to the games featuring those mons, i.e. last year.

On the other hand, and to dispute the above examples needing to correspond timing-wise, Byleth showed up in the worst spot of FP1 to promote 3H. Any other position in that pass would've placed the character closer to that game.

The biggest takeaway of all of this is I'd caution not to count things out just because they don't show up at the most ideal time.
Byleth came at a bad time yes, but he still launched a couple weeks before the DLC did. If nothing else, Byleth's release served as a reminder that "Hey, to anyone who has or is considering picking up 3 Houses, the Ashen Wolves DLC releases only a week or so after Byleth comes to Smash!", so in a way, you could say that that was intentional from a marketing standpoint, maybe, just theorizing here, since his release was fairly convenient to come near 3 House's big DLC expansion.

As far as Gen 8 is concerned, SwSd's DLC is done(presumably), and they're most likely moving onto either Gen 4 remakes or something else entirely. The problem here is, we don't really know what's coming next in regards to Pokemon.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
All we know about Pokemon's trajectory is that Bandai Namco is making New Pokemon Snap which has my baby Meganium as the main focal point on the box.

What we do know is that The Pokemon Company likes doing announcements on it's own terms, even when it's not a good idea (dedicating a whole direct to a mobile DOTA clone for example) so I'm not sure they'll show anything tomorrow.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I feel if we're getting a Gen 8 Pokemon, it's not so much promotional as a cool idea and it just took longer to get out than was ideal. Remember, the character was chosen quite a long time ago. Not that I think it's one of the more likely options.

But yeah, Byleth was done moreso to help with DLC than the base game of 3H. Sometimes characters are at best promoting games that no longer are getting new stuff and is just at best "hey, get the current stuff that's still out". This is somewhat the case for Incineroar and Greninja too, considering their timing doesn't really match up with promoting any content nearly coming out. Byleth is even closer than those.

On another note, it's weird the second tweet didn't mention Smash. Maybe they more meant to post that only and someone screwed up? Even if it's a screw up, it sure as hell is going to get more viewers, with what might as well be a guarantee for a Smash character.

(I also want to point out that in no way is Sakurai forced to add a Pokemon newcomer. He chose that, and Gamefreak noted he chooses the newcomers too. He might at best be tied to what characters he can add, but not the idea of adding one. There's little doubt that Gamefreak is practically setting up the plausible choices. At least the data we have only shows him selecting from a list. He likely had more freedom with some of Smash 64, since Jigglypuff's addition wasn't just cause a neat anime-related option, but it was an easy clone of Kirby. Mewtwo was the only other known one. And he might not have had much freedom regardless, since every single Pokemon character is already big in their own right. This is also why I can see ones like Urshifu being plausible, though not so much by this point, since that DLC is much more over than the current one. That is, a promotional Pokemon might be the best option Sakurai can go for. Albeit, in this specific context, Nintendo chose the character already, not him, so it could be more limited than that. But seeing as how they're all promotable Pokemon on their own merits, Nintendo might've gone for the same list as Sakurai would've had to work with).

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Byleth came at a bad time yes, but he still launched a couple weeks before the DLC did. If nothing else, Byleth's release served as a reminder that "Hey, to anyone who has or is considering picking up 3 Houses, the Ashen Wolves DLC releases only a week or so after Byleth comes to Smash!", so in a way, you could say that that was intentional from a marketing standpoint, maybe, just theorizing here, since his release was fairly convenient to come near 3 House's big DLC expansion.

As far as Gen 8 is concerned, SwSd's DLC is done(presumably), and they're most likely moving onto either Gen 4 remakes or something else entirely. The problem here is, we don't really know what's coming next in regards to Pokemon.
Ok... well, Rise is probably going to have DLC too, and there's going to be Pokemon stuff all year.

All we know about Pokemon's trajectory is that Bandai Namco is making New Pokemon Snap which has my baby Meganium as the main focal point on the box.

What we do know is that The Pokemon Company likes doing announcements on it's own terms, even when it's not a good idea (dedicating a whole direct to a mobile DOTA clone for example) so I'm not sure they'll show anything tomorrow.
I'm guessing TPC will have its own presentation in the coming weeks which will detail their plans for the year.

If we see anything from Pokemon tomorrow later today, I think it'll probably just be Snap stuff. Though being wrong on that one would be fine by me.

Shroob

Sup?
Ok... well, Rise is probably going to have DLC too, and there's going to be Pokemon stuff all year.

I'm guessing TPC will have its own presentation in the coming weeks which will detail their plans for the year.

If we see anything from Pokemon tomorrow later today, I think it'll probably just be Snap stuff. Though being wrong on that one would be fine by me.
I don't doubt those at all, but the question is "How soon?".

I'd 'like' to believe that FP2 is the end of the DLC, and if CP9 comes out... let's say anywhere between next week and the end of March, we can probably assume that the pass will be done by,,, later summer? Early fall? Best case scenario is we're in some bizarro world and CP9 drops this month, CP10 in April or May, and CP11 at E3, but that's neither here nor there.

Rise is a timed exclusive for 9 months iirc, so the question is when would they be promoting the DLC if MH misses the boat tomorrow. And then new Pokemon games, at least from what I recall, tend to drop around November/December iirc.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
The wording of these announcements are weird to me. Instead of saying there will be a new fighter announced, they're just saying Smash will have a presence. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it meant we got more than the character. Like a separate new stage, perhaps a special tournament announced to coincide with one of the anniversaries or something else along those lines.

D

Deleted member

Why are y’all reading into the announcement not mentioning a new fighter specifically? The wording just says they’re showing off stuff for currently available games, including Smash. Stuff like an Animal Crossing update or Age of Calamity DLC. Nothing about that suggests we’re not getting a new character.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The wording of these announcements are weird to me. Instead of saying there will be a new fighter announced, they're just saying Smash will have a presence. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it meant we got more than the character. Like a separate new stage, perhaps a special tournament announced to coincide with one of the anniversaries or something else along those lines.
It won't be a Sakurai presents, as that's generally later on, but a reveal, anything like basic gameplay updates(better online), mode updates(not a new mode, but changing any up so they work better, etc.), standalone stages, standalone music, these seem decently plausible. It could just be a reveal at best and a Sakurai Presents announcement. I agree the wording suggests multiple stuff, though.

Though I do plan to laugh if it they aren't doing the character reveal tomorrow but telling us it'll be reveal in a straight presentation soon. I do not plan to actually laugh, if you get my dirft.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Watch Nintendo blindside us with a character absolutely nobody was expecting, just like they did with Sephiroth lol.
I'll do you one better.

Watch Nintendo blindside us with a character we thought had everything going for them and then dropped them because something came up that looked like could have disconfirmed them, only for Nintendo to add the character we thought was dead.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Last part pretty much sums it up for me. I could be hyped if it's a Pokemon I like, indifferent or disappointed otherwise.
I'd personally be happy with anything that wasn't a fully evolved starter or legendary from gen 8, but sadly it's very likely to be Cinderace (if we do get a pokemon)

If it's Eiscue or Sirfetch'd though, **** yeah I'm down.

And honestly? I think tomorrow is make it or break it for Pokemon, imo of course.

People seem, at least I assume so, set in the belief that Mario's more or less done for the pass, if only partly due to the Mario 35th anni ending next month and **** all coming from it in terms of Mario content in the pass.

Same could be said of Monster Hunter. If Monster Hunter ISN'T next, then it feels like a huge, failed marketing opportunity to have Hunter in Smash as a sort of promotional nudge towards Rise, which, is a timed exclusive, so for all intents and purposes, Nintendo wants to push that as hard as possible.

This Pokemon anni feels like do or die for Pokemon in the pass. If Pokemon's going to lay out all the **** it has planned for 2021 for us, you'd imagine that the Smash character would be released to tie closely into it.
Monster Hunter could definitely come after, the franchise is definitely big enough that it doesn't need to come alongside a game to promote. It's not like Sephiroth came to promote FF7 remake, or Joker came to promote P5.

I'd agree on Pokemon though. In fact I'd say if we don't get a first party pick tomorrow, then I don't think we're getting one for the rest of the pass.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I'll do you one better.

Watch Nintendo blindside us with a character we thought had everything going for them and then dropped them because something came up that looked like could have disconfirmed them, only for Nintendo to add the character we thought was dead.
Oho! Nifty.

Any examples? Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing people's reactions tomorrow.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
honestly I wouldn't be too dissapointed with another pokemon

at least pokemon is series I'm familiar with and like
I'm a Pokemon superfan. Complete Living National Dex.

And I couldn't be less interested to see another Pokemon in Smash.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So how likely do ya'll see a Fighters Pass 3 being announced today?
As likely as no character reveal.

So practically no chance in hell. Ultimate's life span is coming to an end. It's pretty clear at that point what Sakurai meant.

It'd be cool, but the game needs to move on, honestly.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
50% likely. That it will happen eventually. Not that it will happen today. I remember Fighter Pass 2 was announced after the news we got Byleth, or around that time.

Or we might just get a few standalone DLC Fighters. Or a Echo Pass, or semi clones.

I'm not sure. Could happen. Also quite reasonable we won't , because after all this FP has another last character added making it 6 characters instead of 5.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Unlikely I'd say.

For an announcement like that, it would be better off leaving that until the last fighter in the pass. They would be making things more difficult for themselves if they announce something like that way too early.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Honestly, i am more excited for the games surrounding the direct than the smash reveal.
Predictions
We will get some:
zelda news
A bayo trailer
smash announcement
Animal crossing update
Pokemon snap stuff
ONe fighting game
monster hunter stuff
Nso stuff?
And one more wii u port
CRash trailer
smt 3 and 5 updates

Surprise indie game shadow drop
Indie compilation announcement

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Honestly, i am more excited for the games surrounding the direct than the smash reveal.
Predictions
We will get some:
zelda news
A bayo trailer
smash announcement
Animal crossing update
Pokemon snap stuff
ONe fighting game
monster hunter stuff
Nso stuff?
And one more wii u port
CRash trailer
smt 3 and 5 updates

Surprise indie game shadow drop
Indie compilation announcement
I have a feeling that those of us wanting Bayo news are going to be extremely disappointed.

I'd like to be pleasantly surprised and caught off guard, but given what Kamiya said recently, about "forgetting the game for now" it kinda sucks lol.

Other than smash news, I would very much like OoT, MM, and other 3D Zelda games like TP, WW, and even SS if they can rework the combat, on Switch. Would be great for an anniversary after all.

Then again, all we could get could be related to BOTW 2 so... that's fine too, I guess.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Shroob

Sup?
Hey guys, so I made this for Smash Ultimate. Thoughts on this? I was thinking of using it in some way...just was testing my skills on editing stuff.

That's pretty neat ngl.

I think I recognize:

Crash
Kubfuu
Ammy
Sol
Yuri
and Hayabusa?

I feel like this is in response to some leak that was posted ages ago, but I haven't been keeping up.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
That's pretty neat ngl.

I think I recognize:

Crash
Kubfuu
Ammy
Sol
Yuri
and Hayabusa?

I feel like this is in response to some leak that was posted ages ago, but I haven't been keeping up.
Glad you liked it. Think I can pass it as a fake leak? A small amount of people saw it and didn’t like it. Said it looked too fake...

D

Deleted member

Before I leave for work today, I'd thought to share this tweet before the Direct airs later today.

No he's not a leaker, but people probably don't realize how much KT have done for Nintendo previously and recently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom