• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We'll see. If we do get a Gen VIII Pokémon, it'll be interesting to watch how people respond. I don't think it'll be as overwhelmingly negative as people are thinking, mostly because it's something a lot of people are familiar with. Maybe a lot of disappointment, but not complete and total outrage.

Also depends on who they choose, because I could easily see people going from, "Great...another Pokémon," to, "Wait, that's what they went with!? That's kind of cool actually!"

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
We'll see. If we do get a Gen VIII Pokémon, it'll be interesting to watch how people respond. I don't think it'll be as overwhelmingly negative as people are thinking, mostly because it's something a lot of people are familiar with. Maybe a lot of disappointment, but not complete and total outrage.

Also depends on who they choose, because I could easily see people going from, "Great...another Pokémon," to, "Wait, that's what they went with!? That's kind of cool actually!"
honestly I wouldn't be too dissapointed with another pokemon

at least pokemon is series I'm familiar with and like

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Last part pretty much sums it up for me. I could be hyped if it's a Pokemon I like, indifferent or disappointed otherwise.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Last part pretty much sums it up for me. I could be hyped if it's a Pokemon I like, indifferent or disappointed otherwise.
Same.

I wouldn't mind Gardevoir but she's not from the latest gen.

I played Sword, and I don't remember any Pokémon from that game aside from corviknight and wooloo.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I actually would be really cool with Gen 8th Pokemon.

If it's expected to be "Cinderace", It wouldn't be my 1st choice, But I wouldn't necessarily hate it, But I would much rather have "Inteleon" who's probably my favorite Gen 8th Pokemon or maybe some wacky, unexpected, Pokemon that they can make work would be cool too.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Same.

I wouldn't mind Gardevoir but she's not from the latest gen.

I played Sword, and I don't remember any Pokémon from that game aside from corviknight and wooloo.
Gen VIII has some awesome designs imo.

My first choice is probably Sirfetch'd, even if it might draw ire for being le shill pick and a sword user.

There are also a few Pokemon from previous gens I'd be really excited for but they don't seem likely.

Last edited:

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
If we're getting a Gen 8 Pokemon. (I have to imagine Toxtricity or Cinderace) I'd be a little bit underwhelmed, but I don't think the backlash would be up there with the "Great... ANOTHER Fire Emblem Rep..." Stuff we got with Byleth.

You know, it is possible one of the "Updates" in the direct could be more Gen 8 Pokemon in Poke Balls if we get a Pokemon Rep.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
I think Zacian would be a really sick addition to the roster but I don't see many people pushing her for some reason and that's sucks.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You're trying to subliminally convince people that your legendary wolves are cool but really this is Baboom propaganda.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
The issue with a Pokémon Rep, is that Sakurai is tied with a Rope to Pokémon Company trying to rivalize with Square-Enix in term of stingness (even if at this point it's just a meme)
Can't use Shiny Colors
We decide what pokemon available in the pokeballs
We get a Pokemon slot by defacto
You get to choose in a small poll of small pokemon that we will heavily market

So that mean that out of like almost 1000 pokémon, your choice go down to like 10+ Which is a shame considering the great diversity of Pokémon

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The issue with a Pokémon Rep, is that Sakurai is tied with a Rope to Pokémon Company trying to rivalize with Square-Enix in term of stingness (even if at this point it's just a meme)
Can't use Shiny Colors
We decide what pokemon available in the pokeballs
We get a Pokemon slot by defacto
You get to choose in a small poll of small pokemon that we will heavily market

So that mean that out of like almost 1000 pokémon, your choice go down to like 10+ Which is a shame considering the great diversity of Pokémon
Ok but that's being mean, your favourite Pokemon is just as likely as mine, sure, mine is the mascot legendary and yours is Falinks but if you're enthusiastic about my favourite I'll pretend it's a shame yours will never happen

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd be ok getting a Pokemon if that Pokemon were included due to popularity. Those Pokemon have stood the test of time. But the Pokemon we'd get would be promotion-based, and I'm not interested in any of those options. Look at any poll of popular Pokemon. We're not getting those, are we? We're getting the soup du jour.

More over, this is the last year the current batch is going to be hawked anyway. Next year we'll be on to new ones.

If I had to pick any it'd be Toxtricity, since that one seems to have the greatest chance of retaining its popularity going forward. But it's not a starter, it's not a legendary, and it's not a Lucario/Zoroark. It's just a Pokemon of higher popularity, so I can't imagine that'd be the one we'd get. Especially since the character was probably chosen prior to the release of Sw/Sh.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Actually why are we even debating a new Pokemon character, it's this guy or no Pokemon at all.

2d2qjagqckn31.jpg

Thank you for helping diagnose my apparent blindness. Somehow in looking for a good replacement gorilla I missed the one literally called “Kong.”
I’m gonna lie down and think about what I’ve said now.
Psh, if people are alright with 2 Marios and want a third, you can want more beeg monke

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If we get a Gen 8 ‘mon, these are my hopes:

-Calyrex
-Inteleon
-Dracovish
-Sirfetch’d
-Impidimp
-Falinks

I’d like mostly any of them though, but I’d like one of these the most. I’d probably find Cinderace kind of a boring pick for Smash at first tbh, however I’d likely like it too since I do like its design and stuff.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Actually why are we even debating a new Pokemon character, it's this guy or no Pokemon at all.

View attachment 303536

Psh, if people are alright with 2 Marios and want a third, you can want more beeg monke
Obviously that is the correct choice, but GF don't have the guts to push for Solfetch'd. Or even Sirfetch'd.

D

Deleted member

Thwackey is the only acceptable Gen 8 mon. Anything else and my reaction would be “why not Thwackey” :4pacman:

Staarih

Smash Master
Obviously that is the correct choice, but GF don't have the guts to push for Solfetch'd. Or even Sirfetch'd.
Sad but true. Sirfetch'd would be dope.

And it did receive some specific merch some time ago. But I guess all Pokemon do lol.

Anyway, Gen 8 has so many cool Pokemon that it would be hard for me to be disappointed in any potential choice. The music and stage would probably also deliver.

Shroob

Sup?
I feel like the Gen 8 boogeyman is being blown slightly out of proportion due to the Pokemon anni being this month, despite Smash reveals and annis historically never lining up.

Like, if that were the case, I'd be over here going "HEY! IT'S STREET FIGHTER 2'S 30TH! YOU KNOW, THE MOST INFLUENTIAL FIGHTING GAME OF ALL TIME?!", but even I know "Yeah, that don't mean nothin. Anniversaries don't mean nothing."

Friggen Mario went by his 35th with nothin.

I definitely agree that if any franchise were to get a rep due to its anniversary, it'd be Pokemon, if only because, well, advertising the new product, but eh, I really kinda doubt it.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but it feels... really, REALLY odd to start promoting Gen 8 this late in its lifecycle.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Usually I'm pretty happy enough with a Pokemon rep, but since I don't like any of the starter evos this time.... yeah, I'm less enthused. Would be happy to see Zacian though.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I feel like the Gen 8 boogeyman is being blown slightly out of proportion due to the Pokemon anni being this month, despite Smash reveals and annis historically never lining up.

Like, if that were the case, I'd be over here going "HEY! IT'S STREET FIGHTER 2'S 30TH! YOU KNOW, THE MOST INFLUENTIAL FIGHTING GAME OF ALL TIME?!", but even I know "Yeah, that don't mean nothin. Anniversaries don't mean nothing."

I definitely agree that if any franchise were to get a rep due to its anniversary, it'd be Pokemon, if only because, well, advertising the new product, but eh, I really kinda doubt it.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but it feels... really, REALLY odd to start promoting Gen 8 this late in its lifecycle.
So, guess we're getting an older Pokemon then.

Time to stan Heracross.

Shroob

Sup?
So, guess we're getting an older Pokemon then.

Time to stan Heracross.
As ****ed up as it is(Or maybe it's not), Pokemon feels like a franchise that should go back and actually start picking through its bevvy of candidates for playable fighters.

I understand the logic of picking the promotional pick, don't get me wrong, but honestly? I feel like **** like Gengar, Blaziken, or hell, Garchomp to potentially tie into potential Gen 4 remakes would be much, much more appreciated.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

Not going to counter-argue or anything. Just going to say; thank you. This made me calm down considerably.

Staarih

Smash Master
Yeah I don't think characters are chosen because of anniversaries, but if a character is getting in the game anyway, I could see a tie-in with an anniversary if the timing lines up. Say, a Pokemon is going to be in the pass and is ready for release, they could opt to reveal it now. Or not, of course, could go either way.

I don't think Gen 8 is ending soon though, even with the supposed D/P remakes, they're still Gen 8.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
As ****ed up as it is(Or maybe it's not), Pokemon feels like a franchise that should go back and actually start picking through its bevvy of candidates for playable fighters.

I understand the logic of picking the promotional pick, don't get me wrong, but honestly? I feel like **** like Gengar, Blaziken, or hell, Garchomp to potentially tie into potential Gen 4 remakes would be much, much more appreciated.
I would love if older Pokemon aside from maybe Gen I was a more reasonable prospect to discuss in speculation. Perhaps the closest I can remember is discussing whether we'd get a Gen V or VI Pokemon for Smash 4.

How bout we shift from talking about potential AT upgrades and go for Pokeball upgrades? Snorlax would be baller.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah I don't think characters are chosen because of anniversaries, but if a character is getting in the game anyway, I could see a tie-in with an anniversary if the timing lines up. Say, a Pokemon is going to be in the pass and is ready for release, they could opt to reveal it now. Or not, of course, could go either way.

I don't think Gen 8 is ending soon though, even with the supposed D/P remakes, they're still Gen 8.
And honestly? I think tomorrow is make it or break it for Pokemon, imo of course.

People seem, at least I assume so, set in the belief that Mario's more or less done for the pass, if only partly due to the Mario 35th anni ending next month and **** all coming from it in terms of Mario content in the pass.

Same could be said of Monster Hunter. If Monster Hunter ISN'T next, then it feels like a huge, failed marketing opportunity to have Hunter in Smash as a sort of promotional nudge towards Rise, which, is a timed exclusive, so for all intents and purposes, Nintendo wants to push that as hard as possible.

This Pokemon anni feels like do or die for Pokemon in the pass. If Pokemon's going to lay out all the **** it has planned for 2021 for us, you'd imagine that the Smash character would be released to tie closely into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom