• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I can't choose....

Obviously Odyssey 2. Mario Kart 9 will happen, BotW 2 is confirmed, more DLC doesn't even compare to a new game. Unfortunately we probably won't get a straight sequel to Odyssey because Nintendo's gonna Nintendo.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I love Arlo's content but he is very bad at predicting lol
Like his smash ultimate predictions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2BvemACxcA&

None of the characters he predicted got in and not only that, he said Ryu and Cloud weren't returning lol.
Think of it like hes on opposite day. If he calls someone you can assume they aren’t coming.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
My DREAM announcement for something SMALLER (as in not some huge big new game) would be an Advance Collection, just the GBA games sans Sonic Genesis all in one bunch

View attachment 303426
I would buy it day one, I loved the Advance games.

My dream announcement would be a new game that's a revival of the Sonic Advance series style in a similar way as Sonic Mania did for the classics. But I would prefer if it's not pixel art but animated hand drawn sprites instead, similar to Cuphead and Warioland Shake It. The original games went for some anime-like visuals, I'd like those visuals to be recreated with modern graphics instead of trying to make it look EXACTLY like the old games, pixels and all.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I love Arlo's content but he is very bad at predicting lol
Like his smash ultimate predictions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2BvemACxcA&

None of the characters he predicted got in (except Daisy and an ARMS rep) and not only that, he said Ryu and Cloud weren't returning lol.
yeah but he predicted New Horizons
Next fighters are Rodan (AKA Red Bird Forma Final), Shrek, and Melee Fox
Melee was supposed to mean Sandbag but Fox works too

GUYS GUYS my aunt works at sega and when i asked her who the next fighters are she sent me these images

what does it mean? :4pacman:
Shrek has wavedashing and the competitive players will all be mad. Melee gets a new release with Ultimate's newcomers (but nobody added in Brawl or Smash 4) because all the new players want to have that sweet movement on their own characters. The online is still bad.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Well ****, look like it's finally happening. A Nintendo Direct after so goddamn long. The last time we got a full-on non-mini Nintendo Direct was September 4th 2019, when Banjo was released. That's insane. But enough about that, we're here to talk Smash.

I think Rex is probably coming tomorrow, and here's why:
I've noticed regarding Vol. 2's selection thus far. While I'm fully well aware patterns don't always mean anything for who's coming next, this one seems a little too suspicious to ignore completely. One curious thing about Vol. 2 I've noticed is that every character thus far has been in serious consideration for Ultimate for some time:
  • Min Min, or rather an ARMS character in general, was intended to join Smash at base, however their game came out too late for them to be added to the project plan, so they were excluded.
  • Sephiroth's name has been floating around since before Ultimate's release, being on the 7 Squares List that also included Erdrick and The Luminary, who got in under the name Hero.
  • Steve was outright confirmed to have been in negotiations since 5 YEARS AGO.
Much like ARMS for Min Min, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was in development during the roster selection time, and was on Sakurai's radar for potential newcomers, however development wasn't far enough along for him to get a good idea of how Rex would play, so he couldn't include him. Had this not have happened, Rex would've been in the base game guaranteed. This this theory holds up, then I believe Rex will be coming to Smash by the end of this Fighters Pass, if not tomorrow.
If Sephiroth's reveal tells us anything, it's that the Smash community has historically been absolutely **** at predicting who's coming next. Back in December when The Last of Us: Part II Awards the Video Game Awards were coming up and Smash was likely to be shown there, everyone believed that the next fighter had to be Crash Bandicoot, they had to be Master Chief, they had to be Doomguy, they had to be Jonesy from Fortnite, because to them, those were the only names that sounded right. "It's a big western event, so clearly the next fighter would have to be a big western character! It all fits!"

Conversely, Sephiroth was a name that everyone had already crossed off their lists for a variety of reasons. Maybe they didn't think his sword would work in Smash on account of being Ridley in size. Maybe they thought someone like Geno or Sora would be the next SquareEnix characters and that it was redundant for there to be two characters from Final Fantasy VII. Maybe they were still mad about what he did to Aerith. Either way, despite making a lot of sense in retrospect, Sephiroth wasn't considered a contender at that time by anyone. At least until Galeem got sliced in half and One-Winged Angel started playing.

And as we approach this next fighter reveal, I've been seeing the same thing happen all over again, albeit with a bit more variation given that we've had little to nothing in terms of rumors or leaks. After two absolutely HUGE third party inclusions, everyone's expectations are still geared towards big popular third-party names like Crash Bandicoot, Dante, Ryu Hayabusa and Monster Hunter.

As such, I can't help but think that the next character won't be as big or as groundbreaking as Steve or Sephiroth, or as bad as a Gen VIII Pokemon for that matter. I think the next character is going to be a less frequently discussed character who isn't anyone's first pick for Smash, but one whom nobody will really be all to upset over or surprised to see get in, and Rex fits that bill to a T.

I can't choose....

Neither. Mother 3 port/remake coming stateside, a new Golden Sun game/remake or a new F-Zero.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well ****, look like it's finally happening. A Nintendo Direct after so goddamn long. The last time we got a full-on non-mini Nintendo Direct was September 4th 2019, when Banjo was released. That's insane. But enough about that, we're here to talk Smash.

I think Rex is probably coming tomorrow, and here's why:
I've noticed regarding Vol. 2's selection thus far. While I'm fully well aware patterns don't always mean anything for who's coming next, this one seems a little too suspicious to ignore completely. One curious thing about Vol. 2 I've noticed is that every character thus far has been in serious consideration for Ultimate for some time:
  • Min Min, or rather an ARMS character in general, was intended to join Smash at base, however their game came out too late for them to be added to the project plan, so they were excluded.
  • Sephiroth's name has been floating around since before Ultimate's release, being on the 7 Squares List that also included Erdrick and The Luminary, who got in under the name Hero.
  • Steve was outright confirmed to have been in negotiations since 5 YEARS AGO.
Much like ARMS for Min Min, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was in development during the roster selection time, and was on Sakurai's radar for potential newcomers, however development wasn't far enough along for him to get a good idea of how Rex would play, so he couldn't include him. Had this not have happened, Rex would've been in the base game guaranteed. This this theory holds up, then I believe Rex will be coming to Smash by the end of this Fighters Pass, if not tomorrow.
If Sephiroth's reveal tells us anything, it's that the Smash community has historically been absolutely **** at predicting who's coming next. Back in December when The Last of Us: Part II Awards the Video Game Awards were coming up and Smash was likely to be shown there, everyone believed that the next fighter had to be Crash Bandicoot, they had to be Master Chief, they had to be Doomguy, they had to be Jonesy from Fortnite, because to them, those were the only names that sounded right. "It's a big western event, so clearly the next fighter would have to be a big western character! It all fits!"

Conversely, Sephiroth was a name that everyone had already crossed off their lists for a variety of reasons. Maybe they didn't think his sword would work in Smash on account of being Ridley in size. Maybe they thought someone like Geno or Sora would be the next SquareEnix characters and that it was redundant for there to be two characters from Final Fantasy VII. Maybe they were still mad about what he did to Aerith. Either way, despite making a lot of sense in retrospect, Sephiroth wasn't considered a contender at that time by anyone. At least until Galeem got sliced in half and One-Winged Angel started playing.

And as we approach this next fighter reveal, I've been seeing the same thing happen all over again, albeit with a bit more variation given that we've had little to nothing in terms of rumors or leaks. After two absolutely HUGE third party inclusions, everyone's expectations are still geared towards big popular third-party names like Crash Bandicoot, Dante, Ryu Hayabusa and Monster Hunter.

As such, I can't help but think that the next character won't be as big or as groundbreaking as Steve or Sephiroth, or as bad as a Gen VIII Pokemon for that matter. I think the next character is going to be a less frequently discussed character who isn't anyone's first pick for Smash, but one whom nobody will really be all to upset over or surprised to see get in, and Rex fits that bill to a T.

Neither. Mother 3 port/remake coming stateside, a new Golden Sun game/remake or a new F-Zero.
Seems reasonable honestly.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I can't choose....

All the other ones will happen eventually, I even believe that about Odyssey 2, but there’s no sure confirmation of a Fighter’s Pass 3 so you know what? Yeah, Fighter’s Pass 3.

SKX31

Smash Master
Let's go Sora!
As a proud member of the Wahoominati ( :p ), I'd accept that scenario.

GUYS GUYS my aunt works at sega and when i asked her who the next fighters are she sent me these images
View attachment 303432
Leffen and mang0 will like this post only if the Melee rep plays exactly like Melee. :4pacman:

for a second i read this as "more amingos" i have ruined myself
CP12: Amingo
CP13: Amingo
CP14: Amingo
CP15: Amingo
CP16: Amingo
CP17: Amingo

Like, they're all Amingo, but each with a different stage from MvC and a different set of alt colors.
Umm... **** Mexico's not yet playable in Civilization, so I can't pull Mexican music from that game to rep Amingo.

Would Aztec music suit Amingo?

Edit: And Arlo posts:

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
23 hours and 50 minutes now. And this thread is already the most crowded it's been in months.

I honestly didn't expect a new character so soon either. Felt like last week Sephiroth was released.
For me it feels like Steve was released last week. That’s how unreal this game has become, and I am absolutely all for it.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If Rex does get announced at some point, I foresee the Geno base lighting up like a supernova because of the DLC Mii rule being killed. Others apply, too, but this especially applies to the Geno base.
People will debate if Rex is an exception because of when his costume was made/released.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I feel like a retro character would be a good out of left field no one is expecting. And I don't mean retro like Hayabusa, where he's just been around for a long time and remained relevent. I mean a character that has been only super relevent in retro gaming.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Last edited:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Even if Rex were to make it in, it wouldn't really help Geno's chances that much, considering the issue with Geno's Mii costume was that it was released midway through FP2, whereas Rex had his announced just as we learned about FP1.
That's a good point.

But nevertheless, we'll just have to wait until the direct tomorrow, which [PLOT TWIST!] is on my birthday!

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
1613514539966.png

I never thought this would come true....

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I feel like a retro character would be a good out of left field no one is expecting. And I don't mean retro like Hayabusa, where he's just been around for a long time and remained relevent. I mean a character that has been only super relevent in retro gaming.
That would be so up my alley, considering that I like the Backyard Sports games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom