• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don’t think the hoho Sakurai posted means anything. If I’m not mistaken that’s kinda the way to joke laugh in Japanese. Like “haha IF there is info on Smash? Of course there’s info on smash!” At least I think it’s something like that.

Last edited:
My speculation brain for Smash characters was short-circuited a year ago, so I'm going to predict some weird stuff.

We're getting someone from:

1. Skyrim
2. Lego games
3. Dark Souls (just some fun food for thought, basically every Dark Souls NPC laughs after all their lines:4pacman:)
4. Tales of, but it's not Lloyd, Yuri, or Velvet. It's Asbel, along with a Tales of Graces F port.
5. Mass Effect

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
This will get lost in the shuffle, but let me just get my personal wish list out of the way here now:

- In terms of CP9, I just want someone unique. This Pass has been phenomenal so far in terms of selecting characters that feel radically different from one another in terms of fight style, mechanics, appearance, and even personality. Even just comparing it to the first FP visually, it's insane that Min-Min, Steve, and Sephiroth are sharing that same space. I want someone (or something) that continues that.

Amaterasu is and always has been my #1 choice for a character like that, but I obviously doubt she's getting in at this point. I wouldn't be thrilled with Monster Hunter (especially when Capcom has so many more fun characters to choose from like Phoenix, Sir Arthur, Morrigan, etc), but I would take them over Dante any day.

Another Pokemon would bore me to tears, but if we did get Cinderace...I know it's cliche at this point, but even I would begrudgingly play as him in Elite Smash and pretend I'm King Kazma. Accidental Mamoru Hosoda references in Smash are still Mamoru Hosoda references in Smash, and that's a win in my book.

Getting another JRPG swordsman right after Sephiroth might not be the most fan-pleasing choice, but I'd be down with Lloyd Irving if it meant Namco finally getting their second character onto the roster. That's long overdue. Especially if it means getting some choice Soul Calibur costumes for Mii Swordsman.

Again, there are only a small handful of characters left that I would legit pop off over (Ammy, Shantae, Doom Slayer, Skull Kid, or Robotnik) and none of them are gonna happen. So now I'm more invested in what else the developers could add. I'd love to see some kind of palette swap editor where you could edit the colors of a character's alt and save it in a 9th costume slot. I'd especially love if they released little costume packs or something, like how they already do with Miis. That would make me extremely excited.

My biggest pipe dream is some kind of Echo Fighter bundle. Get us Ms. Pac-Man, Dixie Kong, Tetra, Shadow, and a proper Alph or something along those lines. Surely Sakurai and his team heard how much fans love Echo Fighters now that they have a name haha. It would feel like a missed opportunity to not just add a few more before everything wraps up. After all, he's always said that they're "for the fans" and don't take too much time to develop. That'd be the biggest win in my book.

As for the Direct itself...

- I need more in-depth news on Neo: TWEWY. I don't need much, just give me some more gameplay and maybe even a teensy peak at the story. I've waited so long and I'm more than willing to wait a little longer, but I'll take anything and everything I can get before April 9th.

- I'm not expecting much of anything at all for Metroid's 35th anniversary, but a man can dare to dream for some kind of Samus Returns port to Switch. Crank the graphics up to HD, add a few modes, and I'll happily buy that game again. And honestly, at least throw the Prime trilogy our way. Everyone knows 4 is coming eventually, may as well keep the buzz alive somehow.

- There's really only one thing that I want in terms of Zelda remakes and that's the Oracle games. I don't care how they do it, but those games are killer and deserve to be rediscovered. I'm much more invested in those (or even Minish Cap) than porting over Skyward Sword, or Wind Waker/Twilight Princess again. It won't happen, but like I said, I can dream.

- I personally hope that they save any and all Pokemon announcements for Pokemon Day. Aside from New Snap, I'm completely Pokemon'd out these days and I really would love to see Nintendo focus on their other ips tomorrow instead of double-dipping with Pokemon...

REMEMBER TO HYPE RESPONSIBLY, FOLKS!

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
I said Reimu and Gordon were my predictions earlier, but I'm expanding my selection to also include Quote from Cave Story (not JUST because he's my #1) and Euden from Dragalia Lost.

Quote: Another "very important yet still a dark horse" character like Reimu and Gordon, even closer to Nintendo than those two, and (I need to stress that this is the least relevant and may be nonsense anyway) the conspiracy theory about "Cave Story Story."

Euden: First party, and the most obvious pick if Nintendo specifically wanted to shill/honor their mobile arm. Dragalia Lost is getting pushed quite a bit; they even had a Persona 5 event recently (and I'm dead certain if Euden got in, they'd take the opportunity to do a Smash Bros. event).

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I know that I say this all the times, but I'm pretty sure that tomorrow they will announce a new Kirby game. Star Allies is getting old and they're running out of Fighters 2 content to show on Twitter too.

This said, I hope for the announcement of a new Sonic game as well, this year is also Sonic's 30th anniversary and aside of a couple of rumors we still know nothing of the anniversary games, though SEGA said that this year there will be Sonic games.

(and Silksong)

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
50 minutes.

50 ****ING MINUTES
I'll be honest, had you told me on September 4th, 2019, that I would have to wait 532 days, basically a year and a half, before the next full Direct, including E3... there is the real chance that news would've been accompanied by a couple tears.

But a feast is as good way as any to break the fast.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don’t think the hoho Sakurai posted means anything. If I’m not mistaken that’s kinda the way to joke laugh in Japanese. Like “haha IF there is info on Smash? Of course there’s info on smash!” At least I think it’s something like that.
People weren't serious about the spelling. Just a fun thing to think about, being Phoenix and all.

Even with Sakurai rarely giving hints, this one's an obvious laugh and he does that a lot anyway. It's a great response to a direct finally being a thing again.

D

Deleted member

I really don’t think we’re getting a Nintendo character tomorrow. I think whoever that is would only be CP11. Aside from that everything else is fair game imo. Lots of reasons and/or tie-ins are possible around this time if they go that route again like with Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
Okay just trying to come up with a good list, taking into account the DLC and Ultimates Base Game. (My bad if I got any wrong.)

Shown at E3 Direct: :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie:
Shown at Smash Directs::ultmewtwo::ultroy::ultryu::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta: :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultdarksamus::ultchrom::ultkrool::ultken::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:
Shown at Regular Direct::ultlucas::ultcloud: :ultisabelle::ult_terry::ultminmin
Shown at Video Game Awards: :ultjoker::ultsephiroth:
Solo Event: :ultbyleth::ultsteve:

If we're just looking at Regular Directs, first thing I notice is they sure like revealing people majorly Yellow in these. But in all seriousness. Looking at the E3 and Regular Direct picks. They seem to be characters that are either MAJOR Fan Requests (:ultbanjokazooie::ultridley:) New First Party Characters ( :ultinkling::ultminmin) First Party Characters due for Inclusion (:ultlucas::ultdaisy::ultisabelle:) Square Characters (:ulthero::ultcloud:) or Terry (:ult_terry:). Terry really stands out in this group.

So looking at the evidence we have. of who they show off (Which might be broken for all we known) Characters to look out for would be.
  • Any First Party Character.
  • A MAJOR Fan Request

While the characters that are shown in other venues seem to be....
  • More Niche characters
  • Darker and More Mature Characters (Ridley Excluded)

For tomorrows Direct... My Guess is the Character Revealed will follow most if not all of these
  • Is from a Family Friendly and/or First Party Series
  • Is recognizable to a casual audience
  • Is not a villain
  • Does not primarily use a sword

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
This said, I hope for the announcement of a new Sonic game as well, this year is also Sonic's 30th anniversary and aside of a couple of rumors we still know nothing of the anniversary games, though SEGA said that this year there will be Sonic games.
My DREAM announcement for something SMALLER (as in not some huge big new game) would be an Advance Collection, just the GBA games sans Sonic Genesis all in one bunch

Sonic Advance bunch.jpg

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I can't choose....

At some point we'll get another 3D Mario. BotW2 will arrive in time. MK9 (or some new Mario Kart) is an inevitability. FP3 is the only one that won't arrive in some form eventually. So I choose that one.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
I can't choose....

I feel like something else should be in place of BoTW 2. The rest are things that aren't announced and choosing BoTW 2 would just make sure it comes out 2021 (even though that might already be the case)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Since it's the Pokemon anniversary too, and Zelda BotW2 likely won't get anything but a new trailer at most, I call this next DLC Fighter will probably be a Pokemon.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I might take more fighters until 2023 IF it isn’t just 5-6 fighters. Like if it’s 8+ then I’ll accept that long of a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom