• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think given the relative unpredictability of Smash there's many that believe inevitability of any character is no longer a given especially as the window for such characters keeps shrinking. Ultimate specifically has zigged so much when many of us thought it would zag, that a really out there choice for the rest of the pass almost seems more likely than obvious fan wants like Crash.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah I can't help but agree that Arle's relatively niche here due to a lack of idea how she'd work. I strongly dislike Puyo gameplay but I think Arle's cute, so I'd be fine as long as she wowed me but I don't think I've ever seen a decent idea on how the **** the puyo blocks are supposed to be incorporated, when I try to imagine her, I feel like she'd work better as a Mado Monogatari character due to the aforementioned lack of comprehension how puyo chains are supposed to work in Smash. Louie mentioned our good pal Nick's appearance in MvC probably helping how to imagine him in Smash and that's absolutely true, had we not seen him in MvC we wouldn't realize there's a way to make him function and play accurately to the games with being on the defence and needing to set up before having ludicrous pressure when he gets going.

TLDR: Someone convince me how puyo chains can work in Smash dammit

7NATOR

Smash Master
I feel like Crash is being overrated just a little. It's not that he's unlikely, but it feels like the main points are that "he's iconic" and "he's obvious." There hasn't been a real "hook," so to speak, that makes me think "Yeah, it's definitely him."
Personally, on the Surface, Crash does have everything going for him, in that he doesn't really have any Flaws in terms of consideration

He's a New Franchise, Sold Millions, Very relevant, Has great Nintendo Presence, Requested, Western franchises shown to get characters, and even had Lots of Japanesse popularity back in the day

Personally as someone that doesn't expect Crash, the reason I don't think he will get in is mostly because of Activision, and not even because they might be hard to work with (though that's probably something to consider), but also that being a Western Franchise, I imagine the talks will take awhile and I imagine Activision would want to be very particular, especially considering Crash makes no crossover appearances really

Crash I don't imagine was high in priority like Steve was back in 2015, and he wasn't among the most requested characters like Banjo was. So the timeframe to plan and include him would be smaller than those 2, like 2017-2018 at the earliest, and since FP2 was finalized in 2019, that's really at most 2 years to discuss everything, including everything relating to moveset like Model, Animations, type of attacks, Stuff with costumes, the stage, the Music licenses, any specific guidelines to meet and mandates to adhere to, etc

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think there should be a clarification with “bandwagon” picks. There’s different contexts to that phrase.

If we’re talking about popular characters that a lot of people like, and those people think they’re in...that’s not so much a bandwagon as it is a group of fans wanting a character.

On the other hand if it’s a bunch of folks who bet on a character because they want to be right (which is strangely enough a decent part of the Smash fanbase which is weird to me but whatever) I’d call that bandwagoning.

There’s also building on hype circulating the industry. Monster Hunter comes to mind, with the Rise reveal and the amount of folks who thought they were 100% in.

Now, popularity shouldn’t mean “they’re in”. But a character shouldn’t be discounted just they’re popular either. It’s like I see the exact opposite type of “bandwagoning” against popular characters.

“They aren’t going to happen because everybody wants them to more than my most wanted”

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
In fact, Resident Evil is the most successful Japanese video game IP that currently lacks a playable character in Smash.
Fate

Exactly my thoughts regarding Crash right now. Everyone was fairly certain on a Resident Evil rep, look how that turned out. People with Crash at this point is being overconfident on him as they were with a Resident Evil rep.

For all we know Crash won't be among the final 3 instead going with Dovahkiin or slept on western like Master Chief. Another "obvious" pick not making the cut.
Barely anyone was certain on Resident Evil though, it's just that the main argument in its favour was being bigger than other Capcom franchises and that people should maybe consider it alongside others. No one treated it like a lock so your revisionism looks mighty silly.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Just saying as of current. This whole Crash thing feels like Resident Evil all over again before it got spirit'd even though its "obvious" as Crash is.
I think this is dishonest as while Resi got very popular here after people realized "Wait that'd be pretty fun", I don't think I've seen nearly as much fan demand for Resi compared to Crash, hell, other Capcom characters seemed to have more fan demand than the Resi trio

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Look. If you all wanna talk about darkhorses...
All I'm sayin' is...
  • Amiibo Theory dictates that we'll get a Smash Character around March.
  • Steve and Sephiroth show that they've discussed character picks with companies in Pass 1.
  • There is a Shin Megami Tensei III Concert in March, where they'll likely publish news on Shin Megami Tensei V.
  • Shin Megami Tensei V is releasing in 2021 with a simultaneous release (a first in the series), ripe for cross-promotion.
  • Shin Megami Tensei III: HD Remaster just released last year and is coming soon internationally.
  • As of now, Shin Megami Tensei I, II, III, and V are all on ONE console.
THE SIGNS ARE THERE.
HEED MY WARNING.
IT'S HAPPENING.
RIGHT NOW.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I don't really see that because it would be weird for Microsoft to let their biggest icon appearing on a Nintendo console without Nintendo themselves doing the same in return.
I don't think Microsoft gives a **** about that lol

Master Chief being in Smash alone is free advertising and good will for their brand and consoles, that's good enough for them.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Look.
All I'm sayin' is...
  • Amiibo Theory dictates that we'll get a Smash Character around March.
  • Steve and Sephiroth show that they've discussed character picks with companies in Pass 1.
  • There is a Shin Megami Tensei III Concert in March, where they'll likely publish news on Shin Megami Tensei V.
  • Shin Megami Tensei V is releasing in 2021 with a simultaneous release (a first in the series), ripe for cross-promotion.
  • Shin Megami Tensei III: HD Remaster just released last year and is coming soon internationally.
  • As of now, Shin Megami Tensei I, II, III, and V are all playable on ONE console.
THE SIGNS ARE THERE.
HEED MY WARNING.
IT'S HAPPENING.
Ah yes. This is all building up to a fantastic pay off.

SMT4 remade on Switch. Now you can enjoy Walter trying to set the Minotaur on fire in HD

cashregister9

Smash Hero
A lot of people are infatuated with wanting to be right. Some people are so obsessed with winning that they will actively dismiss any character that is either vaguely popular or not a ""Dark Horse""

I have yet to hear any reasons why Dovahkiin is any more likely than Crash other than the fact that people don't talk about him.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I want to mention too, as a springboard off my last post - I really REALLY don't like the weaponization of the word "contrarian" among some members of the community toward people who want to consider possibilities outside of a small bubble of requests arbitrarily deemed worthy or likely enough.

Goes doubly so when you simply say "the community frontrunners do not interest me that much" which I've legitimately seen people get up in arms over several times. It's not just "not expecting" someone like Crash that makes you a contrarian, but if he doesn't appeal to your tastes then you're also just hating on characters because they're popular. There's a real sense of entitlement about that kind of thing.

Joker, Hero and Terry were all "contrarian" picks. So was Min Min, so was Sephiroth. I don't think characters should be shooed to the side JUST because they're popular or commonly discussed... clearly there's some reason why they're a part of the conversation in the first place, but NOTHING is guaranteed.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think this is dishonest as while Resi got very popular here after people realized "Wait that'd be pretty fun", I don't think I've seen nearly as much fan demand for Resi compared to Crash, hell, other Capcom characters seemed to have more fan demand than the Resi trio
Except isn't Resident Evil Capcom's biggest franchise? Iconic-wise I know that'd be Street Fighter and Mega Man.

At least this what I heard.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Just saying as of current. This whole Crash thing feels like Resident Evil all over again before it got spirit'd even though its "obvious" as Crash is.
It's also not just a thing that was exclusive to RE, Travis was one of the community frontrunners before he got Mii'ed, and Geno was seen similarly by some before Sephiroth hapened.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
A lot of people are infatuated with wanting to be right. Being Right. Some people are so obsessed with winning that they will actively dismiss any character that is either vaguely popular or not a ""Dark Horse""

I have yet to hear any reasons why Dovahkiin is any more likely than Crash other than the fact that people don't talk about him.
I think the best example of this is characters getting support threads on the exact day they're announced. It's not done out of genuine love for the character, it's not done because the OP thought "Wow I actually like this a lot", but it's done because they know that if that character gets in, they get to brag about being right

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It's also not just a thing that was exclusive to RE, Travis was one of the community frontrunners before he got Mii'ed, and Geno was seen similarly by some before Sephiroth hapened.
Exactly a very good point there.

More the reason people shouldn't be so overconfident on Crash as he might not make it.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
There are three characters left. Nobody is being "contrarian" for saying one of them might not be Crash Bandicoot. I'm still predicting the even more obvious Ryu Hayabusa, and I'm not even 100% on that, but hell if I think we're getting Hayabusa, Crash and Dante just because they're the "obvious choices".

I'm not really understanding the skepticism against [insert character here]. What is there not to get? This works for DOZENS of characters.

Crash isn't the only character with points in their favor, don't act like he's a guarantee.
I never said that he's guaranteed because there is a chance that Nintendo simply just doesn't pick him. You can be skeptic all you want but all I've seen from you talking against his inclusion is how everyone's saying "he's popular and obvious". That seems pretty contrarian to me.

And of course "I'm not really understanding the skepticism against [insert character here]. What is there not to get?" works for any character. What does that argue?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I want to mention too, as a springboard off my last post - I really REALLY don't like the weaponization of the word "contrarian" among some members of the community toward people who want to consider possibilities outside of a small bubble of requests arbitrarily deemed worthy or likely enough.

Goes doubly so when you simply say "the community frontrunners do not interest me that much" which I've legitimately seen people get up in arms over several times. It's not just "not expecting" someone like Crash that makes you a contrarian, but if he doesn't appeal to your tastes then you're also just hating on characters because they're popular. There's a real sense of entitlement about that kind of thing.

Joker, Hero and Terry were all "contrarian" picks. So was Min Min, so was Sephiroth. I don't think characters should be shooed to the side JUST because they're popular or commonly discussed... clearly there's some reason why they're a part of the conversation in the first place, but NOTHING is guaranteed.
I wouldn't say Hero was a "contrarian pick", most people were expecting at least Erdrick after the "Brave" datamine leak, as well as comments from Tansut, and there was already talk about some kind of Dragon Quest rep prior. His reveal wasn't completely out of the blue as Joker/Terry/Min Min/Sephiroth were.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
A lot of people are infatuated with wanting to be right. Being Right. Some people are so obsessed with winning that they will actively dismiss any character that is either vaguely popular or not a ""Dark Horse""

I'd probably peg them as having similar odds. Two characters of well known franchises from Western companies that have managed a solid relationship with Nintendo (especially in the Switch era), with huge successes here and good results in Japan to boot. Basically getting one and not the other doesn't seem that shocking either way.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Except isn't Resident Evil Capcom's biggest franchise? Iconic-wise I know that'd be Street Fighter and Mega Man.

At least this what I heard.
I disagree with Mega Man being more iconic than RE but that proves my point, Mega Man was added because he was the most requested Capcom character. RE was never really considered by Smash fans until very recently due to fans bringing up the idea. Crash doesn't have the same situation as RE, hell, your Ryu and Mega Man comparisons work in Crash's favour as he's not the biggest franchise Activision has to offer

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I think there should be a clarification with “bandwagon” picks. There’s different contexts to that phrase.

If we’re talking about popular characters that a lot of people like, and those people think they’re in...that’s not so much a bandwagon as it is a group of fans wanting a character.

On the other hand if it’s a bunch of folks who bet on a character because they want to be right (which is strangely enough a decent part of the Smash fanbase which is weird to me but whatever) I’d call that bandwagoning.

There’s also building on hype circulating the industry. Monster Hunter comes to mind, with the Rise reveal and the amount of folks who thought they were 100% in.

Now, popularity shouldn’t mean “they’re in”. But a character shouldn’t be discounted just they’re popular either. It’s like I see the exact opposite type of “bandwagoning” against popular characters.

“They aren’t going to happen because everybody wants them to more than my most wanted”
A lot of people seem to conflate and misread "Crash is pretty likely" as "I think Crash is in" when that's not what's being said and a lot of the talk around him is really dishonest (dishonesty seems to have become really damn popular recently). No one sincerely thinks he's absolutely in. It's that he has far more merit than most characters and there's very little actually going against him. It's really just "they might not pick him" now.

At this point Crash fans just want y'all clowns to shut the **** up about Crash and actually talk about who you like instead of doing all this victimisation ****.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I disagree with Mega Man being more iconic than RE but that proves my point, Mega Man was added because he was the most requested Capcom character. RE was never really considered by Smash fans until very recently due to fans bringing up the idea. Crash doesn't have the same situation as RE, hell, your Ryu and Mega Man comparisons work in Crash's favour as he's not the biggest franchise Activision has to offer
Fair enough.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I think the skepticism around Crash isn’t that people think he’s unlikely, it’s just that there are so many potential characters with only a few remaining DLC slots that nobody should be considered a shoe-in.
That's the thing, barely anyone actually considers Crash a shoe-in so this is just preaching to the choir.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Yeah, Dante and Phoenix have always been the community darlings for Capcom.

Monster Hunter slowly but surely became a part of the conversation over time, but I wouldn't say it's incredibly "popular" compared to the others and it wasn't really even until somewhere between Steve and Sephiroth that it began to be taken seriously again.

I never said that he's guaranteed because there is a chance that Nintendo simply just doesn't pick him. You can be skeptic all you want but all I've seen from you talking against his inclusion is how everyone's saying "he's popular and obvious". That seems pretty contrarian to me.
You misconstrued what I said when I was saying that "he's popular and obvious" is often the CORE of people's arguments for Crash. As true as it is, it's not exactly something exclusive to him. So I don't think it's contrarian to not be blindly convinced by this, a statement that can be applied toward about a hundred characters still absent from Smash. If you truly read my posts you would know I'm skeptical of additional western characters in general and believe Crash's popularity may have come too late to have a significant impact.

It's not that simple and there is room for doubt toward pretty much every character you can suggest. Even if they seem to have everything in the world going for them, there's at least something that can be gathered that could get in their way.

The bottom line is sometimes popularity is enough to boost a character to playability. Sometimes it isn't. I'm not convinced by the points in favor of Crash since I believe the big major pass sellers are already Steve and Sephiroth and his significance is matched by a variety of characters who are also missing. Call it a gut feeling, if nothing else I said satisfies you.

And of course "I'm not really understanding the skepticism against [insert character here]. What is there not to get?" works for any character. What does that argue?
That it doesn't really make Crash special? If there are more characters who this can be said about than there are slots remaining in the Fighter's Pass, I can't really fault anyone for being skeptical of any character.

For what it's worth, even though I disagree with you, I UNDERSTAND why you and many others think Crash is a likely character. It's unfair that you aren't willing to give that same understanding to the opposing side, and resort to assumptions and name calling.

I wouldn't say Hero was a "contrarian pick", most people were expecting at least Erdrick after the "Brave" datamine leak, as well as comments from Tansut, and there was already talk about some kind of Dragon Quest rep prior. His reveal wasn't completely out of the blue as Joker/Terry/Min Min/Sephiroth were.
Yeah I was speaking more on how Dragon Quest was hardly ever discussed BEFORE Verge's input, but that's true as well. It's a bit of an odd case.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
With Nintendo's and Microsoft's relationship, I honestly can see it and could see such a deal for three of the characters, a trilogy of sorts basically. This is a surprise I can see happening and shouldn't be overlooked on possilibity happening.
I always found it strange how quickly people rule out the possibility of two characters from the same company appearing in FP2. Sure, we haven't seen any repeat companies on the same pass yet, but we're only two passes in. Plus, out of the eight DLC characters we've gotten thus far, two of them were from Square and two of them were from Microsoft. Logically, from a negotiations standpoint, it might even make more sense for Nintendo to get multiple characters from the same company. It's not like Sakurai or Nintendo would reject Lara Croft simply because we already have Sephiroth.
I feel like Crash is being overrated just a little. It's not that he's unlikely, but it feels like the main points are that "he's iconic" and "he's obvious." There hasn't been a real "hook," so to speak, that makes me think "Yeah, it's definitely him."
As likely as I think Crash is, I kind of agree. I'd say the main thing that makes him stand out is his status as a mascot. It's a title only a handful of characters hold. Sonic, Crash, and maybe Master Chief are some of the only characters that are remembered for going toe-to-toe with Mario in the console wars. That's huge. On top of his important legacy, his series is also being massively revitalized and is getting a ton of action on Nintendo consoles. It's just such a uniquely perfect opportunity that Nintendo will surely recognize.
A lot of people are infatuated with wanting to be right. Some people are so obsessed with winning that they will actively dismiss any character that is either vaguely popular or not a ""Dark Horse""

Skyrim was, and still is, a very big deal. That's it really. From a sales perspective, Skyrim alone has sold better than the entire DOOM series. It's one of the biggest phenomenon's in all of gaming. It's pretty unheard of for a single player RPG to remain relevant for ten straight years. Add on the fact that it had a Switch release with Nintendo exclusive content, and that Bethesda has a Mii costume in Ultimate and it seems like a decent enough bet. I'm not personally expecting Dovahkiin, but there is a pretty solid argument for him.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah I was speaking more on how Dragon Quest was hardly ever discussed BEFORE Verge's input, but that's true as well. It's a bit of an odd case.
Honestly I think we don't give Hero enough credit for shaping speculation since, we always look at Snake and Cloud as examples of the floodgates opening for other characters which is entirely true, don't get me wrong, but Dragon Quest getting brought up due to Brave and Vergeben made people realize "Huh. This adds up, it makes sense". This is important because have we not as a community started speculating more about characters and franchises that nobody ever brought up before since? Like, would the likes of Adol and Sol have ever been brought up had we never gotten Hero to make us realize we can expand the horizons even further? Maybe I'm just rambling nonsensically but I swear we've gotten significantly different focuses on speculation since Brave than before that leak

Pillow

Smash Lord
There are three characters left. Nobody is being "contrarian" for saying one of them might not be Crash Bandicoot. I'm still predicting the even more obvious Ryu Hayabusa, and I'm not even 100% on that, but hell if I think we're getting Hayabusa, Crash and Dante just because they're the "obvious choices" when not every character has pandered directly to the wishes and expectations of the community. That isn't being contrarian, it's thinking critically.
To be fair, I do notice people randomly bringing up Crash out of nowhere just to criticize his chances. I don't really see the same for other picks like Hayabusa.

There's a misconception about Smash as a game that favors more cartoony "mascot" characters when this is demonstrably false at this point.
I disagree with this point. While more serious/darker characters still fit the parameters for Smash, I still do believe that characters that "fit" into the game better get heavier consideration. Literally the only non-anime/cartoony character we have in the entire game is Snake. 1/75 is not a great ratio.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Similarly I don't feel there's a whole lot that makes Dovahkiin LESS likely than Crash to the same point. Another western property that has seen massive success in Japan, it has a presence on Switch, Nintendo and Bethesda have a great working relationship. Massively impactful game, just not as old as Crash.

The thing that sets Crash apart is that he's more popular in the Smash community. Which could be make or break for him or any other character, but outside of this there's very little that Crash has and Dovahkiin doesn't... aside from Crash being an ACTUAL character and Dovahkiin being an avatar, but I don't think that matters so much anymore.

I disagree with this point. While more serious/darker characters still fit the parameters for Smash, I still do believe that characters that "fit" into the game better get heavier consideration. Literally the only non-anime/cartoony character we have in the entire game is Snake. 1/75 is not a great ratio.
Fair enough, I was lumping anime more into the category of characters that many people judge as not fitting up against characters like Mario, Sonic and Banjo - since I see a lot of pushback toward heavily anime styled series and characters despite so many of them being in Smash as well. I don't fault people for having preferences either, but really anything is fair game at this point.

My point was mostly that we have an immense amount of variety in Smash where I don't believe there's a proper metric for who fits and who doesn't anymore. But yes as there are generally more characters of a particular type or genre I think people are more open to their chances.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
To be fair, I do notice people randomly bringing up Crash out of nowhere just to criticize his chances. I don't really see the same for other picks like Hayabusa.

Hayabusa's been brought up countless times just to **** on him lmao, there's been more discussion on how he's a boring safe pick than how cool it'd be to bring him in.

When people talk about character aesthetics fitting they never refer to the anime looking characters, hence why people whine "ANEEM BAD" whenever we get a character regardless of what they bring to the table whereas cartoony mascot platformers only got this criticism as a joke at how people insist that 'fits' better when Smash has been a visual clash since the beginning. Hell, I'm pretty sure I started the whole 'cartoony punchy dude' comment myself

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Banjo, Hero and Steve were the three characters commonly discussed prior to their reveals, though for the latter, it had mostly died down after Banjo got announced.

I guess Byleth was talked about a bit too, but usually as a "worst case scenario" kind of deal, similar to how something like a Gen 8 Pokemon is talked about these days.

But yeah, Joker, Terry, Min Min (or an ARMS fighter in general) and Sephiroth were all pretty much completely out of left field.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Banjo, Hero and Steve were the three characters commonly discussed prior to their reveals, though for the latter, it had mostly died down.

I guess Byleth was talked about a bit too, but usually as a "worst case scenario" kind of deal, similar to how something like a Gen 8 Pokemon is talked about these days.

But yeah, Joker, Terry, Min Min and Sephiroth were all pretty much completely out of left field.
Do we really count Hero when they only got talked about after they leaked? This is like saying Ryu was a safe pick in Smash 4 and I sure as **** don't remember Ryu ever being discussed before that datamine

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Do we really count Hero when they only got talked about after they leaked? This is like saying Ryu was a safe pick in Smash 4 and I sure as **** don't remember Ryu ever being discussed before that datamine
It's honestly hilarious looking back that RYU of all characters was a dark horse. I suppose it probably had something to do with no "additional reps per companies" at the time, and also some really old comments about fighting game characters in Smash, but man times have certainly changed haven't they?

Hell, I actually owned the Ryu support thread back in the day and I wasn't even that into Street Fighter at the time - I just thought it was ridiculous that he didn't have one so I made it myself. I wasn't really around during DLC speculation but prior to that it didn't get a whole lot of activity either.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Banjo, Hero and Steve were the three characters commonly discussed prior to their reveals, though for the latter, it had mostly died down.

But yeah, Joker, Terry, Min Min and Sephiroth were all pretty much completely out of left field.
Byleth had to share with the House Lords and was generally seen as being Pass 2 anyway so they're somewhat left field in that they opted for Byleth and that they were in Pass 1.

It's honestly hilarious looking back that RYU of all characters was a dark horse. I suppose it probably had something to do with no "additional reps per companies" at the time but man, times have certainly changed haven't they?

Hell, I actually owned the Ryu support thread back in the day and I wasn't even that into Street Fighter at the time - I just thought it was ridiculous that he didn't have one.
People were on some "No fighting game characters" **** too.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Honestly I think we don't give Hero enough credit for shaping speculation since, we always look at Snake and Cloud as examples of the floodgates opening for other characters which is entirely true, don't get me wrong, but Dragon Quest getting brought up due to Brave and Vergeben made people realize "Huh. This adds up, it makes sense". This is important because have we not as a community started speculating more about characters and franchises that nobody ever brought up before since? Like, would the likes of Adol and Sol have ever been brought up had we never gotten Hero to make us realize we can expand the horizons even further? Maybe I'm just rambling nonsensically but I swear we've gotten significantly different focuses on speculation since Brave than before that leak
I think Joker was really the one that open more suggestion. Joker was really special because he was neither a big mascot like Mega man, Snake or Pac-man, and he didn't have strong ties to Nintendo like Bayonetta. For me Joker was the moment that I realise that a lot of character could happen that I would have never consider before.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I remember some people predicting a DQ character of some kind back in like 2018, though I guess there were also a lot of people saying we'd get Geno or Sora (technically not a Square-Enix character).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I remember some people predicting a DQ character of some kind back in like 2018, though I guess there were also a lot of people saying we'd get Geno or Sora (technically not a Square-Enix character).
Yeah cause they were on Verge's Square Seven list, aftet Verge proved he was reliable for Smash leaks. I only ever saw the oh so rare Slime discussion if DQ ever got discussed, but never the Heroes outside of one guy who adores Dragon Quest 8

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I remember DQ being discussed a bit, but most of the time it was quickly dismissed because "Square stingy".

Last edited:

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
On the topic of Crash being overrated as a frontrunner. He might be, but I also feel that some other characters such as Ryu Hyabusa are just as overrated in terms of chances. I'm actually on the side of him being rather unlikely to make it in.

In fact I'd argue that Ryu Hyabusa has a high chance of being Mii'd as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom