• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
With Eggman and Chun Li specifically I think there's also an unspoken assumption about the competition from their respective companies. Not to say that people haven't made good cases for the likes of Arle, but after Bayonetta and Joker I think many believe the next major Sega would be someone from Sonic and that he fits the bill for that.
I think this definitely plays a factor, but it's also a bit of a testament to how many people don't realize how big Puyo actually is. It's a bigger brand in Japan than even Sonic and stands as Sega's second biggest franchise in general (some ways off from Sonic, but second nonetheless). Not that this guarantees her anything, especially if Bayonetta and Persona got content before Puyo, but she really should be a more "obvious" candidate.

Honestly, not to sound pretentious (but I might, sorry), but I think it has less to do with having a "lot of competition"... because both do, really, and more to do with the idea that people WANT more Capcom characters. Because there are plenty of viable candidates from Sega that have plenty of reasons to pop up - Puyo Puyo, SMT (which people unfairly count out entirely because of Persona... but if we're talking additional "reps" why not?), Sakura Wars maybe? - but when people think "Sega", especially in the Smash community, their minds immediately jump to Sonic.

On the flipside, Chun-Li is WAY bigger than someone like Phoenix Wright. But Nintendo fans / Smash fans really like Ace Attorney, so he gets talked about more than she does. This doesn't really happen with Sega, and Sonic takes center stage. I mean hell, if we didn't get Joker I doubt the situation would be any different. People would still be talking about Sonic more than any other Sega IP.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don't really see Master Chief because I don't know if they would double dip and give Microsoft two fighters in this Fighter Pass, as well as 3 total DLC characters.
With Nintendo's and Microsoft's relationship, I honestly can see it and could see such a deal for three of the characters, a trilogy of sorts basically. This is a surprise I can see happening and shouldn't be overlooked on possilibity happening.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
With Nintendo's and Microsoft's relationship, I honestly can see it and could see such a deal for three of the characters. This is a surprise I can see happening and shouldn't be overlooked on possilibity happening.
I don't know about that because the FPS genre itself really isn't popular in Japan at all. I don't expect any FPS characters in Smash at this point.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Personally, I'm gonna agree with Papagenos that the Projectile tournament might suggest we getting no FPS Character in FP2, not that it's impossible, but that it likely might not happen

Because of that, I personally think that a character like Master Chief is more suggestive of Future content after Smash Ultimate Fighter Pass 2 is already in the Planning stages, rather then him be in FP2. Nintendo right now as many companies lining up to want to be included in Smash, especially on the Western side since that avenue is just now starting to be explored, So I think while the chance is now, they are already in negotiations and such for what's next for Smash

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Personally, I'm gonna agree with Papagenos that the Projectile tournament might suggest we getting no FPS Character in FP2, not that it's impossible, but that it likely might not happen

Because of that, I personally think that a character like Master Chief is more suggestive of Future content after Smash Ultimate Fighter Pass 2 is already in the Planning stages, rather then him be in FP2. Nintendo right now as many companies lining up to want to be included in Smash, especially on the Western side since that avenue is just now starting to be explored, So I think while the chance is now, they are already in negotiations and such for what's next for Smash
Except FP2 might be the end of Smash Ultimate DLC. I think it is.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think this definitely plays a factor, but it's also a bit of a testament to how many people don't realize how big Puyo actually is. It's a bigger brand in Japan than even Sonic and stands as Sega's second biggest franchise in general (some ways off from Sonic, but second nonetheless).

Honestly, not to sound pretentious (but I might, sorry), but I think it has less to do with having a "lot of competition"... because both do, really, and more to do with the idea that people WANT more Capcom characters. Because there are plenty of viable candidates from Sega that have plenty of reasons to pop up, but when people think "Sega", especially in the Smash community, their minds immediately jump to Sonic.

On the flipside, Chun-Li is WAY bigger than someone like Phoenix Wright. But Nintendo fans / Smash fans really like Ace Attorney, so he gets talked about more than she does. This doesn't really happen with Sega, and Sonic takes center stage. I mean hell, if we didn't get Joker I doubt the situation would be any different. People would still be talking about Sonic more than any other Sega IP.
Definitely a perception being assumed as reality phenomenon by some. Its a gross oversimplification but I believe there's probably a whole subsection of fans (especially older ones) that when thinking Sega don't always consider major stuff from the last two decades outside a few select examples like Yakuza. To them Sega is Streets of Rage or Panzner Dragoon, or maybe Jet Set Radio.

I mean Golden Axe is a pretty dormant IP for the most part while Valkyria Chronicles has been entirely active, yet you'd see a lot people go nuts for Ax Battler while being baffled at seeing anyone from the latter series.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Except FP2 might be the end of Smash Ultimate DLC. I think it is.
I don't mean just DLC

I also mean plans for the New Smash game, whether it's an Ultimate Sequel, or a Reboot, or just a regular Smash game

Dinoman96

Smash Master
People dismissed Min Min/ARMS in general because Spring Man was an AT and that there wouldn't be a new first party DLC character not from Fire Emblem or whatever
People dismissed Steve because Banjo already got in and he was just a special exception due to his former Nintendo mascot status
People dismissed Sephiroth because we hadn't gotten secondary third party characters (that weren't clones)

People dismiss Master Chief because there's already a Microsoft owned character on the pass

Let's goooooooo

7NATOR

Smash Master
I don't know about that, mostly because we haven't heard anything about the successor of the Switch.
The Project Plan for Smash Ultimate was finished in December of 2015, which I believe was before we even knew of Project NX (and definitely before it was known as the Switch)

Plus, from what I heard, Console manufactures are always planning the Next console after the one that just comes out, like Right now Sony and Microsoft are perhaps planning the PS6 and Xbox Series XXXXX, so I'm sure Nintendo is working on the next console right now, whether it's Switch Sequel or something entirely new

SharkLord

Smash Hero
People dismissed Min Min/ARMS in general because Spring Man was an AT and that there wouldn't be a new first party DLC character not from Fire Emblem or whatever
People dismissed Steve because Banjo already got in and he was just a special exception due to his former Nintendo mascot status
People dismissed Sephiroth because we hadn't gotten secondary third party characters (that weren't clones)

People dismiss Master Chief because there's already a Microsoft owned character on the pass

Let's goooooooo
I shall refer you to Microsoft E3 Theory. Master Chief will be at E3, get hyped.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Definitely a perception being assumed as reality phenomenon by some. Its a gross oversimplification but I believe there's probably a whole subsection of fans (especially older ones) that when thinking Sega don't always consider major stuff from the last two decades outside a few select examples like Yakuza. To them Sega is Streets of Rage or Panzner Dragoon, or maybe Jet Set Radio.

I mean Golden Axe is a pretty dormant IP for the most part while Valkyria Chronicles has been entirely active, yet you'd see a lot people go nuts for Ax Battler while being baffled at seeing anyone from the latter series.
Oh yeah I forgot to mention Streets of Rage, I think that Axel would be a good choice had Terry not already been here to steal some of that thunder.

But yeah, I think it's super interesting to take into account the varying perspectives of gamers of all kinds. I think it's particularly important to understand the sensibilities of the Smash community in general and which characters and types of games are generally favored (spoiler alert: cartoony platformers, usually - and not usually traditional fighting games or more heavily Japanese-centric franchises, it's clear why Sonic is discussed so much).

It's especially interesting to come at it that way because as it's easy to tell, the current DLC choices don't exactly reflect the tastes of the Smash speculation community. But they are still true to the tastes and values of different communities and audiences.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The Project Plan for Smash Ultimate was finished in December of 2015, which I believe was before we even knew of Project NX (and definitely before it was known as the Switch)

Plus, from what I heard, Console manufactures are always planning the Next console after the one that just comes out, like Right now Sony and Microsoft are perhaps planning the PS6 and Xbox Series XXXXX, so I'm sure Nintendo is working on the next console right now, whether it's Switch Sequel or something entirely new
Except there's no reason to move on from the Switch at this point because it's still a massive success. I don't expect the project plan for the next Smash to be done now unless they're putting a second Smash game on the Switch, which would be unprecedented.
I shall refer you to Microsoft E3 Theory. Master Chiefwill be at E3, get hyped.
I don't believe that's a real thing unless Microsoft requires Nintendo to reveal one of their characters to be revealed at every E3 featuring Smash DLC through a clause in their contract.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Oh yeah I forgot to mention Streets of Rage, I think that Axel would be a good choice had Terry not already been here to steal some of that thunder.

But yeah, I think it's super interesting to take into account the varying perspectives of gamers of all kinds. I think it's particularly important to understand the sensibilities of the Smash community in general and which characters and types of games are generally favored (spoiler alert: cartoony platformers, usually). It's especially interesting to come at it that way because as it's easy to tell, the current DLC choices don't exactly reflect the tastes of the Smash speculation community. But they are still true to the tastes and values of different communities and audiences.
Moreover even beyond the business/function assumptions that new Smash characters break (additional non-clone third party character from an existing franchise and such) one of the major breakthroughs is demonstrating how certain game genre characters can work within the context of a platform fighter. I suspect one of the reasons an Arle gets such skepticism at times is that there is no real fighter from a strictly puzzle game to point to in demonstrating how she could work. Dr Mario is after all a clone, and realistically there likely will be a barrier in people being enthusiastic about the practicality of puzzle fighters until such a character appears.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Except there's no reason to move on from the Switch at this point because it's still a massive success. I don't expect the project plan for the next Smash to be done now unless they're putting a second Smash game on the Switch, which would be unprecedented.

I don't believe that's a real thing unless Microsoft requires Nintendo to reveal one of their characters to be revealed at every E3 featuring Smash DLC through a clause in their contract.
To be honest, I don't think the Project Plan is done, and even if it was, it took some months before actual development on Smash Ultimate begun

Plus even if the Switch is a huge success, I'm sure they still are planning out what's next after the console. I mean the Wii was a massive success and they still came out with the Wii U 6 years later. We are going into 4 years after the Switch launched. Also yes the Wii U Flopped, but I think for the Switch they would have learned their lesson

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Regardless of whether or not two characters from the same company could be in the same pass together, I'm skeptical that many of the remaining characters will come close to Steve and Sephiroth. We're halfway done, and I think this is the ideal time to start revealing the less groundbreaking additions. I think F9 and F11 will probably fit this bill.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Regardless of whether or not two characters from the same company could be in the same pass together, I'm skeptical that many of the remaining characters will come close to Steve and Sephiroth. We're halfway done, and I think this is the ideal time to start revealing the less groundbreaking additions. I think F9 and F11 will probably fit this bill.
Yeah. I do think that Steve and Sephiroth might be the only "big hype" characters this pass.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I suspect one of the reasons an Arle gets such skepticism at times is that there is no real fighter from a strictly puzzle game to point to in demonstrating how she could work.
This is a great point and I think you're spot on to an extent. Interestingly though on the other hand, we have several examples of how fighting game characters work in Smash and many people are still fairly ambivalent / disinterested toward them. That seems like the opposite issue, people not liking how those characters play and then writing off the genre.

And as a bit of a rebuttal since I mentioned him before, Phoenix Wright is still an incredibly popular request and we have NO precedent for any sort of VN character in Smash - although we do have it in MVC3, so I suppose that's probably where people turn to. Still, I think there's definitely a factor of "we don't know how that sort of character will work" but also the specific tastes of the community at large leaning a particular way. Smash fans have no problems suggesting whatever characters that they like and (justifiably) expecting Sakurai to do the creative heavy lifting.

The bottom line is really that the possibilities are only as limited as your perspective and your imagination. I feel a lot of people don't make an effort to acquaint themselves or inform themselves with series they are unfamiliar with, but tying it back Capcom is an example of a company where people actually are very familiar with and passionate about a variety of their series. I wish speculation for other companies was more competitive like that.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I think this definitely plays a factor, but it's also a bit of a testament to how many people don't realize how big Puyo actually is. It's a bigger brand in Japan than even Sonic and stands as Sega's second biggest franchise in general (some ways off from Sonic, but second nonetheless). Not that this guarantees her anything, especially if Bayonetta and Persona got content before Puyo, but she really should be a more "obvious" candidate.

Honestly, not to sound pretentious (but I might, sorry), but I think it has less to do with having a "lot of competition"... because both do, really, and more to do with the idea that people WANT more Capcom characters. Because there are plenty of viable candidates from Sega that have plenty of reasons to pop up - Puyo Puyo, SMT (which people unfairly count out entirely because of Persona... but if we're talking additional "reps" why not?), Sakura Wars maybe? - but when people think "Sega", especially in the Smash community, their minds immediately jump to Sonic.
Honestly I think this is the thing that sucks the most to me about the new direction in favor of additional third-party characters. I love Eggman as much as the next guy, but I'm also a huge fan of SEGA in general, and they have so many IPs that have made their mark and merit an inclusion, but now that third-party double dips are on the table, all that's been pushed aside by most of the community in favor of more Sonic

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Honestly I think this is the thing that sucks the most to me about the new direction in favor of additional third-party characters. I love Eggman as much as the next guy, but I'm also a huge fan of SEGA in general, and they have so many IPs that have made their mark and merit an inclusion, but now that third-party double dips are on the table, all that's been pushed aside by most of the community in favor of more Sonic
As a Chun-Li supporter it would be a bit hypocritical of me to agree wholeheartedly, but there are also a LOT of Capcom characters I really want and the conversation about Chun-Li hasn't eclipsed the prospect of Monster Hunter, Dante or Phoenix at all. So maybe not too contradictory after all.

So yeah, I do agree with you but I wanted to work out some potential hypocrisy for myself lmao. I wish people would bring up more Sega characters - I'm team Arle for life but there are a bunch of lesser characters who I would REALLY love to see in the game too - NiGHTS, Ulala, Aiai... Unlikely as they may be, of course.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Why do people think Crash is so likely? All I know is that he's popular, and Crash 4's release date matches the presumed announcement of CP9.
There’s not really any evidence about him getting in. It’s really just because he’s the most wanted character now & has been since Banjo got in.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah. The community has a problem of predicting characters that are similar to the most recent character revealed. We learned from Sephiroth how this can backfire hard.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
This is a great point and I think you're spot on to an extent. Interestingly though on the other hand, we have several examples of how fighting game characters work in Smash and many people are still fairly ambivalent / disinterested toward them. That seems like the opposite issue, people not liking how those characters play and then writing off the genre.

And as a bit of a rebuttal since I mentioned him before, Phoenix Wright is still an incredibly popular request and we have NO precedent for any sort of VN character in Smash - although we do have it in MVC3, so I suppose that's probably where people turn to. Still, I think there's definitely a factor of "we don't know how that sort of character will work" but also the specific tastes of the community at large leaning a particular way. Smash fans have no problems suggesting whatever characters that they like and (justifiably) expecting Sakurai to do the creative heavy lifting.

The bottom line is really that the possibilities are only as limited as your perspective and your imagination. I feel a lot of people don't make an effort to acquaint themselves or inform themselves with series they are unfamiliar with, but tying it back Capcom is an example of a company where people actually are very familiar with and passionate about a variety of their series. I wish speculation for other companies was more competitive like that.
Personal interests will often play a factor. If there's an out there potential fighter one likes there's a fun journey to be had in making them work in Smash. If its esoteric character one doesn't like, then suddenly they're too unworkable to fit in the game.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I feel like Crash is being overrated just a little. It's not that he's unlikely, but it feels like the main points are that "he's iconic" and "he's obvious." There hasn't been a real "hook," so to speak, that makes me think "Yeah, it's definitely him."
Yeah. He's basically a bandwagon pick at this point.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
To be fair, sales don’t dictate who gets added.

While Puyo Puyo is a big game in Japan, Resident Evil was among the biggest worldwide and got...spirits.

Size doesn’t really matter in that sense. A contender? Sure. More likely than a smaller series? Highly debatable.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

While Puyo Puyo is a big game in Japan, Resident Evil was among the biggest worldwide and got...spirits.

Size doesn’t really matter in that sense. A contender? Sure. More likely than a smaller series? Highly debatable.
In fact, Resident Evil is the most successful Japanese video game IP that currently lacks a playable character in Smash.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I feel like Crash is being overrated just a little. It's not that he's unlikely, but it feels like the main points are that "he's iconic" and "he's obvious." There hasn't been a real "hook," so to speak, that makes me think "Yeah, it's definitely him."
The thing that gets me about the "he's obvious" point is how clearly this displays a particular bias from the community.

Like, a Resident Evil character was just as "obvious" as Crash (if not moreso - Crash died for a while, RE has been going strong forever) and didn't see quite as much excitement or acclaim in the time leading up to the spirit event as Crash has seen since at least Banjo's reveal. Because you had people suggesting that RE may not be a good "fit" for Smash, the game where you can have Snake and Bayonetta duke it out with Isabelle and Kirby.

There's a misconception about Smash as a game that favors more cartoony "mascot" characters when this is demonstrably false at this point.

Although yes RE is a bit of a unique situation with its emphasis on realistic firearms and horror themes which may have prevented it from seeing further content - you get the idea though. Speaking of which....

Oh for sure - I'm not saying it's owed or guaranteed anything. Just that it would probably get some more enthusiastic reception if it was in an identical position and either skewed more to western tastes or was a different genre. The point was more that people tend to act like only Sonic exists for Sega.

The fact that Persona and Bayonetta beat out Puyo already humbles me to the fact that it could very well get skipped over once again.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
When it Comes to Sega vs Capcom

I personally think, at least for Western Audiences, Most of the Sega franchises are not really relevant here. Yakuza is popular in the West, and Puyo Puyo is really starting to get there, and Before Sephiroth, both these franchises dominated Discussion here because Sonic was seen as not getting another Character in DLC

I'm sure on the Japanesse Speculation side you can find much more talk for Arle than here, as well as maybe Sakura Wars

I will also say that alot of Sega I.Ps are really irrelevant. Even among franchises like Okami and Ace Attorney which are kind of niche (More Okami though) Capcom does a better job of using them in crossovers, or porting their game than Sega does, though I think with the Alex Kidd game coming out, and New Monkey ball on horizon, they might start doing a better job

Capcom I also think just have more relevant franchises at their disposal that are both popular and relevant here and in the Japan side of things, With Resident Evil (which got Spirited), Devil May Cry, and Monster Hunter. So I think that's something to consider when talking about why Eggman might dominate more Sega discussion than Chun-Li does Capcom discussion

Shin Megami Tensi I will also say does get mentioned at times as well. I've seen it get mention in Youtube prediction lists. I'm unsure of why Streets of Rage doesn't get mentioned that much, especially since it came back with Streets of Rage 4

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Exactly my thoughts regarding Crash right now. Everyone was fairly certain on a Resident Evil rep, look how that turned out. People with Crash at this point is being overconfident on him as they were with a Resident Evil rep.

For all we know Crash won't be among the final 3 instead going with Dovahkiin or slept on western like Master Chief. Another "obvious" pick not making the cut.

Maybe that was a better comparison to make as opposed to King K. Rool as Sm4sh DLC.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'm not really understanding the skepticism against Crash Bandicoot. Like what is there not to get?

He has been constantly relevant for about 4 years now where his popularity skyrocketed from 0 to 100 in a matter of days, not fast enough for Fighter Pass 1 but definitely fast enough for Fighter Pass 2, Activision has been constantly supporting the Switch, has been topping the charts in the west and has gotten within the top 5 in Japan's best sellers, has a legacy behind him and he's a western character who made it big in Japan in the 90's which is not an easy thing to do.

I don't know. The doubters just wanna be contrarians because Crash is so highly anticipated for Smash and are doom and gloom because not everyone gets it right all the time. I don't really see a reason to doubt Crash Bandicoot's chances.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't know. The doubters just wanna be contrarians because Crash is so highly anticipated for Smash and are doom and gloom because not everyone gets it right all the time. I don't really see a reason to doubt Crash Bandicoot's chances.
There are three characters left. Nobody is being "contrarian" for saying one of them might not be Crash Bandicoot. I'm still predicting the even more obvious Ryu Hayabusa, and I'm not even 100% on that, but hell if I think we're getting Hayabusa, Crash and Dante just because they're the "obvious choices" when not every character has pandered directly to the wishes and expectations of the community. That isn't being contrarian, it's thinking critically.

I'm not really understanding the skepticism against [insert character here]. What is there not to get? This works for DOZENS of characters.

Crash isn't the only character with points in their favor, don't act like he's a guarantee. It doesn't disqualify what he does have going for him but I think it's really unfair to assume anyone who disagrees with you is just being contrarian and that you can't see a single reason why someone would think he could be absent.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm not really understanding the skepticism against Crash Bandicoot. Like what is there not to get?

He has been constantly relevant for about 4 years now where his popularity skyrocketed from 0 to 100 in a matter of days, not fast enough for Fighter Pass 1 but definitely fast enough for Fighter Pass 2, Activision has been constantly supporting the Switch, has been topping the charts in the west and has gotten within the top 5 in Japan's best sellers, has a legacy behind him and he's a western character who made it big in Japan in the 90's which is not an easy thing to do.

Again Resident Evil is a big series, everyone was so certain of it being Capcom's biggest franchise (Not as iconic as Mega Man and Street Fighter though), then it got spirit'd.

Which is why I'd keep expectations low as Crash might not make it in as what happened with Resident Evil.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
With Eggman and Chun Li specifically I think there's also an unspoken assumption about the competition from their respective companies. Not to say that people haven't made good cases for the likes of Arle, but after Bayonetta and Joker I think many believe the next major Sega would be someone from Sonic and that he fits the bill for that.
Maybe that's right and most people believe a second Sonic character would be next for a Sega character... but I'm also pretty convinced that belief wasn't strong at all before Sephiroth.
Sega getting a second Sonic rep before the likes of Puyo Puyo, Yakuza, SMT and others could totally happen. I'm not discussing that. But prior Sephiroth most people was expecting a new Sega series before more Sonic for FP2, or at least that was the feeling I got. Same or similar case with Chun-Li and Capcom by the way.

Maybe Sega doesn't have as many cool characters that resonate with Smash speculators as Capcom, but they still have a handful of likely contenders in my eyes. I mean, after Joker, I feel that pretty much any Sega series with decent popularity is fair game. Not implying the bar has been really lowered after Joker/Persona, but he was definitely a character no one was expecting before a second Sonic rep and yet, here we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom