• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Also I've always had the thought that Sakurai is the sole play tester for the game.
I remember that in a presentation video he says that during break time he and his coworkers tested the character, I think it's in the Min Min Presentation. For DLC specifically.

So yeah, I don't think there's any playtester for the DLC Character other than Sakurai and his coworker.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I mean the Ganondorf in Smash is from OoT and the Pig Ganon we're talking about/referring to is the OG Ganon who is not a transformation, you could say it's kinda like the Links but instead Young Link has his mask and Toon Link has his other equipment.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So yeah, I don't think there's any playtester for the DLC Character other than Sakurai and his coworker.
Well considering that everyone working on the project are his coworkers, I'd say that's accurate.

Personally though, I consider Samus Without Her Cool **** to be a bad addition so there's the hottake for the day
Samus was a bad addition but Zero Suit Samus wasn't? That really is a hot take. :troll:

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
How different would things be if we got an Assist Trophy promotion via DLC?
There'd be some ramifications for future instalments, but for DLC? Not so much. The selection of plausible AT promotions is already pretty small, and lately we've settled into the mindset of "Happened once, probably won't happen again" after each successive fighter went a different direction than the last. As such, people won't believe that Isaac leads to Waluigi, or that Shadow leads to Shovel Knight, or whatever.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Samus was a bad addition but Zero Suit Samus wasn't? That really is a hot take. :troll:
IMG_20201104_182746.jpg

The second part of that Top 10 article is now out.

My own thoughts:
I personally don't think #3 should be here as I think he is really overrated in regards to his chances. Everyone else (yes, even #4) I can see happening though.
Ayyyy my man Sol getting into the top 5 can't have been an easy feat
There'd be some ramifications for future instalments, but for DLC? Not so much. The selection of plausible AT promotions is already pretty small, and lately we've settled into the mindset of "Happened once, probably won't happen again" after each successive fighter went a different direction than the last. As such, people won't believe that Isaac leads to Waluigi, or that Shadow leads to Shovel Knight, or whatever.
Bruh did you just entirely forget the amount of people insisting the rest of the pass would be first parties who were Spirits after Min Min and how everyone and their mother cried Eggman since Sephiroth alongside other characters from already represented third parties? If we get an AT as DLC everyone will talk exclusively about the other ATs lmao

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
At least some people won't be able to act like Smash games are made up of spaghetti code anymore.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Bruh did you just entirely forget the amount of people insisting the rest of the pass would be first parties who were Spirits after Min Min and how everyone and their mother cried Eggman since Sephiroth alongside other characters from already represented third parties? If we get an AT as DLC everyone will talk exclusively about the other ATs lmao
I did remember those, but I also remember the backlash towards repeat third-parties as people began to notice the patterns. I think the general speculation scene is beginning to shift away from the mindset of "This fighter is the new standard!"
Assuming, of course, CP9 reflects the last three fighters, in which we'll have theories about how CP10 and CP11 will also be just like the older fighters.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

My own thoughts:
I personally don't think #3 should be here as I think he is really overrated in regards to his chances. Everyone else (yes, even #4) I can see happening though.
Here're my thoughts on the total list:
#6 and #7 should be moved up to about #3 and #5 respectively.

#3, #5, and #9 should be off this list but would be fine on a top 20 list.

#8 should be off the list, as I don't really consider him a viable option anymore.

#1, #2, #4, and #10 are pretty much in the perfect spot, although I could see #10 being moved up.

Keep in mind, this is just the product of my analysis and I am incredibly vulnerable to being wrong, so take this as a grain of salt.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

My own thoughts:
My only issue with the whole thing is I feel like Adol is more likely than we ended up deciding on, being an honorable mention and all, in the article. Another Dark Horse character like I wrote about in Sol’s write-up but one I feel is pretty damn likely.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master

My own thoughts:
Personally

regarding Pokemon, The person did bring up a good argument about the Spirit event. I believe it was the only Event in the game that came out around the release of the game. All of the other Spirit events came out on anniversary dates, or like Months after they released, including Age of Calamity

It could be seen as a special circumstance. however there was also the Team rocket costume that was added, and this was added around the time Extra DLC was decided upon.

Also while I don't think Neither are happening, I would personally but Ryu above Crash

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace

My own thoughts:
that was almost the dead leak's roster 1-1 lol. i have a feeling none of those are happening.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

My own thoughts:
Kinda surprising to see Sol up there, especially given Adol was down in the honorable mentions. From my perspective, the both seemed to be darkhorses that are small but have some stuff going for them. I'd place them both around the 10-8 range; Based on the circumstances, I feel like they should be at similar levels.
Well fear not. As it is not clever in the slightest, I shall continue!
I'm not sure if you're joking or not but that's Omega, not Gamma

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I think that for the most part, no one was seriously assuming that we would get a ton of first party spirits after Min Min, or at least I hope not. I think what moreso happened is that a ton of people were speculating on those characters then because it helped change the game for one of their most wanted or opened a new door. People were not talking about Eggman or Chun Li at all before Sephiroth. Now that he shows third parties can get a second unique rep, people think they make sense. People here like first parties a lot, so anything that gets the "spirits deconfirm" mentality out of there will be talked about a lot. That being said, odds are when someone shows up we will see speculation based around them and what "theories" we can get from them.

My own thoughts:
My personal thoughts. Full disclosure I did help write and edit one section of the article, although I had no influence on any rankings.

First off. Honorable mentions. I think this goes a few ways. First off, I think Kiryu is dead. The comments from Yakuza's producer to me at least feel like a soft deconfirmation. That being said, I think there are two things I would personally have put as an HM. I think Arle and Reimu both would suffice for HMs. Arle to me feels like a good pick for a Sega rep. Puyo is on the upswing, it has some history, and her only real competition is Eggman imo. Reimu imo is the indie rep to beat rn.

The other HM I want to bring up is Adol. Lowkey, Adol is one of the three main dark horses that I have right now that I think people are sleeping on a tad. The others are Sol and to a lesser extent Arle. Adol has a ton of history behind him, Ys and Falcom go back a long way. Falcom is making a comeback, so I could easily see him being considered. Combine that with Falcom helping out the switch a ton and he makes a ton of sense. Only thing holding Adol beack is they could go for Rean instead. As for Sol, Arc Sys spirits got me thinking something more might come. Sol makes by far the most sense, GG is still very active and it is their big franchise. I know some people like Blazblue, but with Blazblue being over I think its safer to bet on Sol.

Onto the list itself, most of the choices make a lot of sense. There are two that I do have issue with. First off is Rayman. I know some people love to get mad when I say this, but Rayman is pretty unlikely. His franchise bombed in Japan pretty bad. His franchise is kind of on ice right now. His only real saving grace right now is "lol ballot", but relying solely on the ballot is not going to help you. If fan demand was all that was needed to get in, we would have gotten Geno. I feel this character gets overrated a ton. But since last time one of his fans threw a tantrum when I told them Rayman was unlikely, I will hold my tongue a little unless people want me to explain it more.

The other one I am majorly sus of is Dante. Now Dante I do not think is impossible, but I think the competition would knock him out of the top ten for me. I know DMC is big. But Phoenix is a noticeable fan request, Chun Li is the most iconic woman in fighting games, and Monster Hunter is huge. When Capcom competition is that fierce, I do not think he is top three. A solid chance, but far from the most likely character out there.

That being said, big agree on the top two. I helped Sari write their Crash section, and most of what is said there I stand by. Crash and Hayabusa are imo the two most likely characters right now.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Assuming, of course, CP9 doesn't reflect the last three fighters, in which we'll have theories about how CP10 and CP11 will also be just like the older fighters.
Wouldn't it be the opposite? "The previous four fighters have had nothing to do with each other so that means I get to cherry pick whatever traits I want and say that the next fighter won't have them?"

I'm not sure if you're joking or not but that's Omega, not Gamma
As a casual onlooker of the Sonic series, I cannot tell the difference without directly comparing them

EDIT: Or at the very least, I need more than a mugshot.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Wouldn't it be the opposite? "The previous four fighters have had nothing to do with each other so that means I get to cherry pick whatever traits I want and say that the next fighter won't have them?"

As a casual onlooker of the Sonic series, I cannot tell the difference without directly comparing them

EDIT: Or at the very least, I need more than a mugshot.
Aw frick, typo
Frick frick frick

Remember, Omega is big and bulky. Gamma is sleek and smooth.
Also Gamma is dead so who you're seeing is gonna be Omega by default

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Bold of you to assume that I would assume that this comic isn't taking place during Sonic Adventure, or that Gamma couldn't show up again for any other reason.
For the record, Gamma showed up twice in games in playable roles even after his death.

The first one was in Sonic Shuffle, where he was revived by the power of dreams (since that game takes place in the world of dreams and they wanted an excuse to have the entire SA1 roster present.)
The second one was Sonic Battle, where Eggman thought it was a good idea to just build another Gamma IIRC.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
For the record, Gamma showed up twice in games in playable roles even after his death.

The first one was in Sonic Shuffle, where he was revived by the power of dreams (since that game takes place in the world of dreams and they wanted an excuse to have the entire SA1 roster present.)
The second one was Sonic Battle, where Eggman thought it was a good idea to just build another Gamma IIRC.
And we never heard of Chaos Gamma again...

SKX31

Smash Master
Oh yeah. I remember Amsa is one of the play testers.
He's not the only one IIRC:

* 9B: played :popo: extensively and discovered new ways to chain-throw people to death. Consistently a top 5ish player in Brawl and reached #1 in 2014, as evidenced by this retroactive ranking.
* Ranai: Most famous for his :4villager: stint, where he consistently placed well in international tournaments. Ranked top 30ish during 2016 and 2017.
* Earth: :4pit: and :4corrin: player, ranked top 20ish in 2016. Might be the only player that's undefeated against MewtwoKing in multiple games interestingly enough. Yes, they only played one tournament set in each game (Brawl and 4), but it's worth noting that MewtwoKing is the only player to be retroactively ranked #1 in multiple games in the same year (Melee and Brawl, 2008).

Point being, those four brought a lot of knowledge of past games and mechanics.

So Sonic Shuffle decided to trap an explosion-proof bird inside a robot's head again through the power of dreams? Real smooth. :4pacman:

(FTR, I don't have anything against Gamma - I like him because that bot's got a pretty good character arc. I just find Omega funnier personally.)

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
"My left hand beats my right hand about half the time. This character seems balanced."
It's those presentations that made me think he was the only playtester for the game. Don't know why he couldn't have just had someone control the other characters off screen or something aside from the the ones where he was at home.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You'd think they'd at least reference him in the comics. I mean, they brought back Gemerl, who's literally just Emerl 2.0.
Well, Emerl is also part of the Gizoid race, which is more explorable, as the E-Series robots don’t get used forever. Are they retired in the Comics?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
what makes me sus is how that guy brought out a rather lengthy process of elimination for the "last character" that it was someone surprising and then went off the bat that it's not Waluigi or several other popularly speculated characters

idk that in itself seems... fishy

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
what makes me sus is how that guy brought out a rather lengthy process of elimination for the "last character" that it was someone surprising and then went off the bat that it's not Waluigi or several other popularly speculated characters

idk that in itself seems... fishy
That and it mentions that both Crash and Spyro are playable, which I don't think will happen unless it was a specific request from Activision themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom