• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
So what are everyone's feelings on the probability of Doomguy or Master Chief getting into Smash? I know that interviews from Bethesda don't sound too good for Doomguy, but do we have any evidence to count MC out yet?

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
That's complete horse****. I remember tons of indie games and developers came out that were influenced by Cave Story alone so attributing the genesis of the wave of modern Indie games to Braid alone is just ridiculous.
Oh I don't solely attribute the modern genesis of Modern Indie Games to Braid, but that may have been the vibe that post was reeking

Anyway I know games like Cave Story did influence the industry, but Braid was one of the biggest when it came out. Anyway plenty of games also helped pave the way besides Cave Story and Braid such as Amnesia and Roblox, anyway

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
There was a Red Shell Mii Hat?
Yeah, in Smash 4. It was such a weird omission because it was such a generic costume that you would think it'd just be some base game unlockable but it's not. I came up with this dumb theory that it was going to be repurposed as a Lazy Shell Hat from Super Mario RPG to come along with Geno and well that didn't turn out like I thought. I'm not sure who's jumping at their seats to buy a Red Shell cap for their Miis (other than me.)

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So what are everyone's feelings on the probability of Doomguy or Master Chief getting into Smash? I know that interviews from Bethesda don't sound too good for Doomguy, but do we have any evidence to count MC out yet?
I’m not sure I see either of them likely this pass but if I had to choose one over the other I would still say that Doom Slayer edges out Master Chief in terms of likelihood.

Now if we get a third fighters pass? I think they’re both in the table and I think they’re both pretty damn likely.

Edit: well I guess unless that one leak with Doomguy, Rayman, and Hayabusa is true so I guess we’ll know if that thing is legit by next character.

Last edited:

Dr. Yatagarasu

Smash Apprentice
This is something I've always pondered myself, the profitability behind fighters. Like, how well did the best selling DLC character do compared to the worst selling one? How much variance is the between all DLC fighters in terms of sales? How much sales are there just from the "I just want a complete roster" types, or those who just bought the fighters passes as soon as they were available to purchase? Etc etc...
I don't know about the DLCs themselves, but I remember seeing a graph that showed a rather nonexistent correlation between the release of DLC and any increase in the sales of Smash Ultimate itself. I don't really think the DLCs themselves boost sales so much as keep the momentum sustained.

I'm willing to bet that Steve has sold the most this pass though lol
its Minecraft Steve

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
Of course it definitely does not deconfirm anything, but haven't Sakurai stated that only characters who have at least one game released on Nintendo consoles can get in smash?...

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
You know the funny thing is that it feels like a lot of ideas that didn't happen revolved around Capcom of all companies. Resident Evil only getting spirits, Chun-Li falling out of favour for Ken and now apparently Byleth being a stand in for Monster hunter if I'm understanding that correctly. Hell Megaman hasn't been in character trailers since Ridley and he appeared all the damn time in the Smash 4 trailers.

Starting to wonder if Capcom even has a fighter in this pass.
Broke: Square Enix is stingy
Woke: Capcom is stingy

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

SKX31

Smash Master
Adding to this, the other characters that could even be considered to be added because they'd be funny are:
  • :rob: Who was accepted because it's the only character with character development in The Subspace Emissary, and that made it a notable character in its own right.
  • :4wiifit: Who was accepted because Wii Fit sold a lot. Even so, most people seem to ignore her.
  • :ultpiranha: Who wasn't accepted by anyone who didn't find it funny.
So unless they've got a following (like...I guess Bubsy), or they whip out a true story mode, I don't think even a lethal joke character would go over well.
I honestly feel kinda bad for :ultpiranha: players though, especially since Down B sometimes gets beaten by well-timed counterhits / strange interactions:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/kidp7e
Pack it up folks, the roster just got discovered by an AI. We're done here.
Ness from Pokemon
Oh god. Ness has evolved.

Now he can only say "PK FIRE!". :4pacman:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Honestly I believe that Doom Guy interview that everyone keeps bringing up has the potential to be all smoke and mirrors just to draw attention away from him. Anyone can make a dis-conformation sound convincing so I don't believe the interview really changes anything for Doom Guy.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Chief seems like a much better fit in Smash than Doomguy to me. Halo doesn't really lose any core pieces of itself by getting scaled down to a PG rating (you can keep some guns, all the energy weapons, grenades, etc). Doomguy could also be made to work, but you lose more of the "soul' of the series in the process, if you will, than is the case with Halo. That said, either seems plausible enough.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Pack it up folks, the roster just got discovered by an AI. We're done here.
I've done a lot of AI related Smash stuff, this is pretty accurate (it sticks to characters already in the game and OCs). AI Dungeon really likes Game and Watch and Wario for some reason (and Ragnor, who has shown up on three unrelated occasions)

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
He wasnt in Persona Q 1, checkmate

Also none bought Persona Q1
He was in Persona Q2 and it released before Joker so it counts I suppose. Not that it really matters because I actually think Sakurai just doesn’t care lmao. He does what he wants.

Firox

Smash Master
Chief seems like a much better fit in Smash than Doomguy to me. Halo doesn't really lose any core pieces of itself by getting scaled down to a PG rating (you can keep some guns, all the energy weapons, grenades, etc). Doomguy could also be made to work, but you lose more of the "soul' of the series in the process, if you will, than is the case with Halo. That said, either seems plausible enough.
I agree. I feel the energy weapons that Chief uses would probably be easier to apply to a PG rating though. And throwing sticky grenades would be a pretty fun projectile. It'd be like a combination of Snake's grenades and Sephy's Shadowflare.

I feel like Master Chief and Doomguy has a very low chance on this pass at least.
This is probably true. Ironically though, my remaining expectations for this pass are pretty much shot at this point anyway. Sephiroth was the last hype character I had been thinking of and all of the other ones I wanted are pretty much already dead. Between MC and DG, I'd rather see MC, but I find myself no longer really caring either way.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
And the argument people use with Joker is E S P E C I A L L Y Dumb because Persona Q2 quite literally got released the Day of Joker's Release.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Hmmm, i wonder if we can consider it a pattern that DLC characters shouldn't be followed by another character of the same type of genre or feel. Let's see if my theory works.

Piranha Plant- Platformer mook. Fairly unique position
Joker- JRPG protagonist set in a modern setting
Hero- Set of 4 different protagonists from a JRPG high fantasy setting
Banjo and Kazooie- Platformer protagonist of a collect-a-ton game
Terry- Fighting Game character who also doubles as the mascot for basically most of his parent company franchises.
Byleth- Protagonist avatar type character from a JRPG based on strategy in a high fantasy setting
Min Min- Fighting game "protagonist" from a rather unconventional fighting game series. She is mostly a fan favourite which is why she is here.
Steve/Alex: Avatar character of a Sandbox game where you can do and build whatever you want with a pixel artstyle.
Sephiroth: Main antagonist of the seventh entry of the Final Fantasy series, game being....High fantasy? Dark fantasy? steampunk? a bit stumped on this one

Does the pattern make sense? At least it leaves room for having a character of the same genre provided they are different enough (Just because they are from a JRPG doesn't mean Joker and Hero share anything in common)

Soooo, using this pattern i can determine that a Tales of character, if that is in the cards, is rather unlikely to be FP9 given how similar FF and Tales are in their genre though you could make the excuse that Sephiroth being a villain is different enough. It can later though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom