• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
honestly the whole "evolutions aren't temporary" arguement isn't good imo because smash has proven to take creative libertiess when possible

one other way I thought Eevee might work is have a sort of, "Eevee Trainer" that switches between the different eeveelutions

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I do think Eevee would have to come with more of an assist gimmick though, with the Eeveelutions coming in with Special Moves, throws, and what have you. Otherwise, you'd have to make Eeveelution temporary (which I believe has been a thing in one manga and that's it), making the stones act like more generic power sources, or permanent, which is just uninteresting, as it would boil down to which Eevelution does the best in the current matchup.
Maybe you could combine the ideas? Like, maybe Eevee comes with an entourage of Eeveelutions. Using the Down Special would allow you to switch between Vaporeon, Jolteon, and Flareon, each with their own specialties, and their own meter. The meter will run down as they use attacks, and you have to take them out of play to recharge them. If you let the meter run out, this takes longer, and you lose access to them.

Each of the three has their own Eeveelution set (for example, Vaporeon could have Sylveon, Jolteon could have Leafeon and Glaceon, and Flareon could have Umbreon and Espeon) that can be used as assists through their Neutral Special. The two pairs are merely visual, and do the same thing as each other (ex. Umbreon uses Moonlight, and Espeon uses Morning Sun, both heal...though I wouldn't do this specifically), but each set does something different. The Side and Up Specials use the Eevelution's abilities.

Eevee itself is a jack of all trades, but is slightly undertuned to balance out the specialized power of its evolved forms. It's Neutral Special could be something like Trump Card, which grows in power depending on the number of unique Special Moves you have used during the match (or stock if that's too powerful), not including Trump Card itself.

Might could work. Might be weird. I dunno.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

um...what's he saying??

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

um...what's he saying??
The video that he quoted is a Mario series video that ends with Smash.
Sakurai is surprised at this.

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
honestly the whole "evolutions aren't temporary" arguement isn't good imo because smash has proven to take creative libertiess when possible

one other way I thought Eevee might work is have a sort of, "Eevee Trainer" that switches between the different eeveelutions
I don't think having the Eevee actively change forms is a liberty really needed as I've mentioned that it could call/summon its evolutions for attacks.
Although if do want to make things simple it could pull a Ness by using its evolutions' attacks and maybe just add a silhouette of which one it pulls from to get the reference across while the Eevee stays the same

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ya know who's a massively popular pokemon that is almost always relevant in some way and isn't a pokeball summon? Garchomp.
View attachment 302877
Ignore the fact that he is already a spirit.
And a background character...

We need a shark on the roster and Garchomp is fit for the job.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

um...what's he saying??
"The end of this video is closed with "Smash Bros." I thought it was a surprising choice, but looking at it like this, it's the Mario series itself."

As for the tweet he's quoting:

"A new commercial for "Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary", the theme song of Gen Hoshino's latest song "Creation", which was decided to be released on 2/17 (Wed.), is on air! This is the third installment of the "Lineup Edition", which is a collection of series titles.
#Creation #Gen Hoshino #Super Mario 35th Anniversary #GenHoshino"

All of this is courtesy of Google Translate, I don't actually know Japanese so take that into account in terms of any machine inaccuracies.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
"The end of this video is closed with "Smash Bros." I thought it was a surprising choice, but looking at it like this, it's the Mario series itself."

As for the tweet he's quoting:

"A new commercial for "Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary", the theme song of Gen Hoshino's latest song "Creation", which was decided to be released on 2/17 (Wed.), is on air! This is the third installment of the "Lineup Edition", which is a collection of series titles.
#Creation #Gen Hoshino #Super Mario 35th Anniversary #GenHoshino"
Wait. Does that mean that Super Smash Bros. is officially apart of the Super Mario series?

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm still predicting the next new spirits to be the main characters from Bravely Default 2.
Square has a few series that would make a lot of sense for spirit events. It doesn't look like we will get another character from them so Bravely, The World Ends With You or even Nier and Tomb Raider could get a few new spirits.

The latter two probably not, but I'd be surprised if we don't get Bravely/TWEWY spirits by the end of Ultimate after seeing Trials of Mana and Octopath spirits.

D

Deleted member

Wait. Does that mean that Super Smash Bros. is officially apart of the Super Mario series?
To be honest, I always thought it was another party game like Mario Party, Mario Golf, Baseball, or just about every other sport. Didn't Sakarai insist it was a party game not a fighting game awhile back?

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
And a background character...

We need a shark on the roster and Garchomp is fit for the job.
I'd love to see Cynthia as a pokemon trainer-like character. Except instead of switching between pokemon, Garchomp is the one that the player controls and all the B specials have her summon another one of her pokemon to perform an attack to assist.

As much as I think Pokemon is overrepresented in Smash, I'd be unbelievebly hyped for something like that.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'd love to see Cynthia as a pokemon trainer-like character. Except instead of switching between pokemon, Garchomp is the one that the player controls and all the B specials have her summon another one of her pokemon to perform an attack to assist.

As much as I think Pokemon is overrepresented in Smash, I'd be unbelievebly hyped for something like that.
Same here. I'd love for Cynthia as well through the Pokemon Trainer route.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace

um...what's he saying??
This is the video I was talking about earlier.

We also got a new TVCM today for Mario 35th Anniversary features both 3D World and Smash.
This isn't exactly a Smash CM, but the last time we got one was after Steve and about 2 weeks later Sephiroth was revealed in TGA.
So we might get something by the end of February or the beginning of March.
Which isn't a big brain prediction anyway but it probably lines up with the Amiibo release date so just to let you know.
BTW, 7-11 Ad now is for Monster Hunter Rise and it'll be posted up until March 14th.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I feel Eevee honestly depends on how many liberties Sakurai wants to make, and how much Dev Time is given imo.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Ah yes, and what did Steve do again? AH YES! He literally got every SINGLE STAGE Recoded just for him.
being generous, each eeveeloution would be as different from Eevee as Roy is from Marth (at the most simmilar). That would be making one character and 8 semi clones for that character.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
To be honest, I always thought it was another party game like Mario Party, Mario Golf, Baseball, or just about every other sport. Didn't Sakarai insist it was a party game not a fighting game awhile back?
I never understood why few people consider the possibility of it being both...because it is.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
but they do interact in many spinoffs.

plenty of people view DK and Diddy as Mario characters because of it!

they are obviously seperate series, but they are part of the same universe
they are very separate aside from said spin off's Splatoon is in mk8 so that mean's they share the same universe. I would say we shouldn't count non-canon games.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
they are very separate aside from said spin off's Splatoon is in mk8 so that mean's they share the same universe. I would say we shouldn't count non-canon games.
well Splatoon is kinda a one time thing.

Mario and Donkey Kong have always been connected to the point Nintendo treats DK as a Mario character most of the time

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
well Splatoon is kinda a one time thing.

Mario and Donkey Kong have always been connected to the point Nintendo treats DK as a Mario character most of the time
hmm im thinking splatoon returns for mk9 but whatever.

well that depends DK and Diddy are sometimes treated like that but everything else that makes DK DK is gone, when you play as him in MK he feels like a shell of himself from the DK games.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Super Mario and Donkey Kong Country are both spin-offs of a shared origin. With all of the Donkey Kong imagery alongside Pauline's reappearance in Super Mario Odyssey, we can safely say the Super Mario side hasn't retconned out that origin. I believe an allusion to the other Kongs are in New Donk City, so the Donkey Kong Country series has some evidence to suggest that it's cannon to Super Mario, but it's not terribly concrete. Donkey Kong Country doesn't ever reference the Super Mario series (at least that I know of), but the original Donkey Kong is canon to it, and also considered to be apart of the series.

While the main games of both series do tend to do their own thing, they are linked strongly enough to say that they're probably apart of the same universe.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
When did this topic turn into a GamesTheory forum? Particular about that universe theory they posted.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
well that depends DK and Diddy are sometimes treated like that but everything else that makes DK DK is gone, when you play as him in MK he feels like a shell of himself from the DK games.
I dunno if I'd go that far, but the spin-off party games do tend to water down the characters as much as possible. Like, there's Luigi in Luigi's Mansion and Super Mario Galaxy who's characterized as a kind of bumbling hero, and then there's Luigi in Mario Kart, who's just Mario, but green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom