• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
That's how they number the spinoffs, adding a decimal point between the two mainline games. So, Immaterial and Missing Power was a fighting game released between the 7th and 8th games, so it's 7.5. This system is also how we end up with Fairy Wars becoming the 12.8th game in the series.
So when do we get Touhou 0.2: A Fragmentary Passage, then? :4pacman:

SKX31

Smash Master

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
While I think realistically Reimu's best chance is to be a base game pick for the next Smash title, I will say that a decent localization along with exposure via contemporary Nintendo marketing stuff ala Partner Directs & a social media push could probably do Touhou a lot of good in Western markets.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I'VE COME TO MAKE AN ANNOUNCEMENT
The 15.5th Touhou game, Antimony of Common Flowers, is finally getting ported to the Switch and PS4 this Spring. Now we can finally settle the debate of whether or not Touhou has an official game on the Switch (Though there's still going to be debates on the nitty-gritty details, I'm sure of it). Here's to hoping it gets localized, preferably with a better official translation than the Steam version.

Alright, you may carry on with your day.
New Objective unlock: "Actually, you need one million game in a Nintendo console to be eligible, so yeah one game isn't enough."

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
7.1 magnitude earthquake in Japan. Let's hope Sakurai will be okay.
Google Translation:

It was a tremor that made me nervous ...
Please take good care of everyone.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The 15.5th Touhou game, Antimony of Common Flowers, is finally getting ported to the Switch and PS4 this Spring.
I’m mostly interested in how much Nintendo will make an effort to promote it, to be honest. To personally change my tune on Reimu I’d probably have to see the official Nintendo account report on it or see it in a Direct / Partner Showcase. But this is a cool step forward!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I’m mostly interested in how much Nintendo will make an effort to promote it, to be honest. To personally change my tune on Reimu I’d probably have to see the official Nintendo account report on it or see it in a Direct / Partner Showcase. But this is a cool step forward!
Yeah, it's just a little thing, not a massive game-changer. Still, now I can officially, unambiguously say that Touhou has a presence on Nintendo systems. It's obviously going to lead to more debates since everyone has a different standard of how much presence they need, but it's nice to put the first one to rest, at least.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
The 15.5th Touhou game, Antimony of Common Flowers, is finally getting ported to the Switch and PS4 this Spring. Now we can finally settle the debate of whether or not Touhou has an official game on the Switch (Though there's still going to be debates on the nitty-gritty details, I'm sure of it). Here's to hoping it gets localized, preferably with a better official translation than the Steam version.

What does official Touhou game mean? Made by ZUN?

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

This is good news indeed. Now if only they localized any of the mainline bullet hell games for consoles. I know plenty of them are on Steam but my main computer is a Chromebook which means I have to pull out my old PC if I want to play pretty much anything outside of browser games. So it would be convenient to get the classic Touhou experience on consoles.

Unless if there is a Touhou bullet hell game on consoles and I typed this out for nothing.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This is good news indeed. Now if only they localized any of the mainline bullet hell games for consoles. I know plenty of them are on Steam but my main computer is a Chromebook which means I have to pull out my old PC if I want to play pretty much anything outside of browser games. So it would be convenient to the classic Touhou experience on consoles.

Unless if there is a Touhou bullet hell game on consoles and I typed this out for nothing.
There technically is a Touhou bullet hell on consoles but it’s not one of the official ones. It’s a fan made, 3D horizontal one called Azure Reflections

SharkLord

Smash Hero
With the current discussion, how do you guys see Reimu's chances?
Decently likely. Touhou is huge in Japan, still has a cult following in the West and a load of fangames to get around the Japan-only/must have Nintendo connections thing (And it doesn't need the latter as much, thanks to the recent news flash), and is really easy to access. Smash has also been gradually adding more indie content, from the CommanderVideo trophy in 4, to the Shovel Knight AT, then the Sans Mii, and finally, a former indie with Steve. What with Nintendo's indie-friendly status as of late, I'm hoping that they'll keep this going, and add a full indie.
Plus, all the indies so far have been Western creations and relatively recent by gaming standards, with the oldest being around the early 2010 range. Touhou is a Japanese-made series that dates back to the 90s, so hopefully it scratches an itch for Nintendo that all the others can't reach.
That, and lot of hoping and bias on my part

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
To be honest, I always thought it was another party game like Mario Party, Mario Golf, Baseball, or just about every other sport. Didn't Sakarai insist it was a party game not a fighting game awhile back?
He’s called it one or the other on several occasions.

Smash is a party fighting game. If you played with items on & on goofy stages, it has all of the randomness of a party game with a good bit of luck required to win. If you play with items on & on serious stages, skill is required to win much as it does in fighting games.

This is the video I was talking about earlier.
Hmm... Sometime March 14th would make sense given Amiibo Theory

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Meh. I know Reimu is a somewhat popular character here on SmashBoards, but I sort of agree that a Mii Costume is her best bet.

Looking at the third-parties we've gotten so far, I think she's at a huge disadvantage because of her status outside Japan. More niche characters like Terry weren't MASSIVE reveals by any means, but they at least had a somewhat decent presence in NA and EU. Reimu doesn't really have that, and I think that could possibly be enough for Nintendo to drift away from her and consider other options. Options like Steve and Sephiroth who are iconic enough to the point where there's really no reason to worry about the rest of the world.

Yeah, I know that, "But outside Japan!" is always used as a counterarguement for Reimu, but it's definitely a roadblock that'll be hard to overcome, especially since there's dozens of other characters who don't have this problem.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
IMO still incredibly unlikely on account of no particular incentive or interest from Nintendo (as of now, at least) to promote the series as it has never been in a single Nintendo presentation. In general the series is not in a great, accessible place for a worldwide audience who, outside of a small underground group, is not familiar with the series outside of a few songs they've probably heard in meme videos. Translations are mostly handled by fan patches among its western fans rather than official localizations - which would go a long way.

If it comes down to new series / characters that would appeal dominantly to a Japanese audience, Nintendo seems to have a lot more stock in Monster Hunter and Puyo Puyo, which both have a more notable and more properly supported presence overseas to boot. There's "isn't that big in the west", like Terry, and then there's "you need to hunt down fan translations to patch onto your game" which is a whole other ballpark IMO. Once Touhou sees more consistent, official western support and starts getting pushed by Nintendo as this "hot in Japan series that you gotta check out" (which is what they've done with Puyo, for example) then I'm really not seeing it at all.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
For an indie rep, the Knight from Hollow Knight is very popular, but there’s one problem: they’re too recent.

meanwhile: me, crying in the corner hoping that Gunvolt gets at LEAST a costume or spirit event

SharkLord

Smash Hero
IMO still incredibly unlikely on account of no particular incentive or interest from Nintendo (as of now, at least) to promote the series as it has never been in a single Nintendo presentation. In general the series is not in a great, accessible place for a worldwide audience who, outside of a small underground group, is not familiar with the series outside of a few songs they've probably heard in meme videos. Translations are mostly handled by fan patches among its western fans rather than official localizations - which would go a long way.

If it comes down to new series / characters that would appeal dominantly to a Japanese audience, Nintendo seems to have a lot more stock in Monster Hunter and Puyo Puyo, which both have a more notable and more properly supported presence overseas to boot. There's "isn't that big in the west", like Terry, and then there's "you need to hunt down fan translations to patch onto your game" which is a whole other ballpark IMO. Once Touhou sees more consistent, official western support and starts getting pushed by Nintendo as this "hot in Japan series that you gotta check out" (which is what they've done with Puyo, for example) then I'm really not seeing it at all.
Something that I'd like to point out is that the games don't get official translations because of lack of effort, it's just that ZUN already knows the fans will send out their own patches in a couple days anyways, which removes the need to translate them himself.
Even then, there's a massive amount of translated fangames; Even if you limit it to the Switch, there's still a decent amount that will pop up when you type "Touhou" into the searchbar. Sakurai could just as easily recommend those in a presentation - And knowing how crazy the shooters can get, it might be for the better if newcomers go for the fangames first.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
For an indie rep, the Knight from Hollow Knight is very popular, but there’s one problem: they’re too recent.

meanwhile: me, crying in the corner hoping that Gunvolt gets at LEAST a costume or spirit event
If it makes you feel better, Gunvolt's only real competition from Inti Creates is Gal Gun, so... yeah, it'd be Gunvolt from them.

NO, WE WILL NOT BE TALKING ABOUT GAL GUN IN SMASH. WE TALK ABOUT HORNY STUFF ENOUGH AS IS!

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Something that I'd like to point out is that the games don't get official translations because of lack of effort, it's just that ZUN already knows the fans will send out their own patches in a couple days anyways, which removes the need to translate them himself.
Yeah I understand this, and it works just fine in a vacuum but I find it extremely hard to imagine Nintendo acknowledging this when pointing new fans in Touhou's direction. When working with a relatively lesser known series in Smash (in a particular part of the world, at least), like Fatal Fury / King of Fighters, it's important to be able to let people know how they can familiarize themselves with the characters and world being introduced IMO.

So yeah, the fangames are the most accessible ones and... I really don't think that Sakurai would be encouraging those over the main series titles nor are they the games that would likely get actual content in Smash. But sure, there is something that fans can be pretty easily directed toward, but I think it loses sight of the question of why they would have any incentive to do that in the first place if many of them aren't even the genre that made Touhou famous. The core legacy and identity of the series is in those tough as nails bullet hells above all.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Based off of how Nintendo's reacted to fan games of their own properties, I doubt they'd legitimately care about Touhou's. If anything, that'd probably scare them away rather than attract them.

Best to focus exclusively on the official entries in the main series and act like anything else doesn't exist.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Based off of how Nintendo's reacted to fan games of their own properties, I doubt they'd legitimately care about Touhou's. If anything, that'd probably scare them away rather than attract them.

Best to focus exclusively on the official entries in the main series and act like anything else doesn't exist.
Which is why Sonic Mania got blacklisted from Nintendo as it was made by people who made fangames and how Sonic has no content from Mania in Smash

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

You say that but Megalovania got into the game, and Megalovania came from an Earthbound ROM Hack.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Pretty unlikely to be honest. I think Nintendo would prefer to deal with bigger companies within their league instead of indie creators when it comes to characters. I mean they would spend a lot of money making these characters so they'd probably go with characters they're confident in (Aside from Banjo & Kazooie). If it were up to Sakurai to choose I'd think she would have a better chance.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Which is why Sonic Mania got blacklisted from Nintendo as it was made by people who made fangames and how Sonic has no content from Mania in Smash
I mean, not that I necessarily disagree with your point, but being made by people who have made fangames and being a fangame aren't quite the same thing.

Whoa wait for real???
No, it's sarcasm. The Studiopolis theme is in Smash.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah I understand this, and it works just fine in a vacuum but I find it extremely hard to imagine Nintendo acknowledging this when pointing new fans in Touhou's direction. When working with a relatively lesser known series in Smash (in a particular part of the world, at least), like Fatal Fury / King of Fighters, it's important to be able to let people know how they can familiarize themselves with the characters and world being introduced IMO.

So yeah, the fangames are the most accessible ones and... I really don't think that Sakurai would be encouraging those over the main series titles nor are they the games that would likely get actual content in Smash. But sure, there is something that fans can be pretty easily directed toward, but I think it loses sight of the question of why they would have any incentive to do that in the first place if many of them aren't even the genre that made Touhou famous. The core legacy and identity of the series is in those tough as nails bullet hells above all.
Personally, I think Touhou is more than just the bullet hells. It's a big part of it, yes, but it's also built around the massive fanbase. It got popular because of the remixes, the fangames, the doujin manga, the animations, etc. Touhou is pretty much powered by the fans, and ZUN actively encourages them. I doubt we'd see the fangames directly represented in Smash, but I see no issue with recommending the fangames.

That's just because the Mario fangames and such use their IPs. Nintendo doesn't own the Touhou IP, and so they won't take issue with them. heck, they already put them up on the eShop; If they were really bothered by that, I doubt we'd be seeing Luna Nights and the like pop up when we jab "Touhou" into the search bar.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You say that but Megalovania got into the game, and Megalovania came from an Earthbound ROM Hack.
The broader point that he made though was that they're not going to advertise a series through its fangames. It'd be like introducing people to the Super Smash Bros. series with Super Smash Flash 2 and Super Smash Bros. Crusade or the Five Nights at Freddy's series with The Joy of Creation, Five Nights at Flumpty's, and Popgoes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom