• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
and super pissed.

Don't know why. Maybe Mario stepped on his foot one too many times.
I'm willing to bet the Luigi Death Stare was 100% an unintentional quirk of the looking animation.

I'm also willing to bet that things like Mario stepping on his brother's foot is one of the major reasons why their personalities get reigned in. That or they're supposed to be the New Super Mario Bros. versions of the characters, which don't really have any personality.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think Luigi's normally a bit faster than Mario in games where they play differently, but Mario's faster than Luigi in Smash.

Anyways, are there any particular traits you guys want your characters to have from their games? Not just who you want in Smash but also your current mains as well.

I think it'd be cool if Mega Man could jump cancel his slide kick like he can in the NES games.

It'd also be cool if Mega Man X could Air-Dash or if Hayabusa had a wall cling and a unique wall attack like in their respective games, if they were added.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think it'd be cool if Mega Man could jump cancel his slide kick like he can in the NES games.
I just wish it could low profile things, or barring that, was projectile intangible at a certain height or something. Otherwise I don't mind it not being that much of a movement tool.

Last edited:
Ironically this would actually be a nerf to Kirby as he'd no longer actually low profile nor would his hurtbox actually shrink unlike every other slide attack
Depending on how fast it is it could give him a decent approach/punish option, though. He kinda lacks those.

I think Luigi's normally a bit faster than Mario in games where they play differently, but Mario's faster than Luigi in Smash.

Anyways, are there any particular traits you guys want your characters to have from their games? Not just who you want in Smash but also your current mains as well.

It'd also be cool if Mega Man X could Air-Dash or if Hayabusa had a wall cling and a unique wall attack like in their respective games, if they were added.
I'd like some FE characters to have access to secondary weapons. Chrom and Lucina could have javelins, for example.

And give BotW Link a shield slide and the ability to aim his bow. The whole character would probably have to be rebalanced, but it would be worth it.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
The usual -
Rock pikmin
Young link with different masks.
Dorf with more magic
Dark Samus with different phazon abilities
Kirby with more copy abilities
Joker with more Personas
Byleth / Robin with Battalions to emphasize the strategy aspect of FE, then spread the different weapons around to the other FE characters

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Depending on how fast it is it could give him a decent approach/punish option, though. He kinda lacks those.

I'd like some FE characters to have access to secondary weapons. Chrom and Lucina could have javelins, for example.

And give BotW Link a shield slide and the ability to aim his bow. The whole character would probably have to be rebalanced, but it would be worth it.
I was thinking more in terms of passive traits, but Chrom or Lucina using Javelins for a move could at least be interesting.

Though if we're replacing special moves, Ike's Counter being replaced with his own Blade Beam would be nice. So many heavy characters like Ridley, the Shotos and K.Rool show that them having projectiles isn't too busted, and Mega Man and the Belmonts are heavy zoners.

Calane

Smash Ace
Considering the move's meant to be a last resort option in the games, I doubt Kirby'd actually get decent speed off of it, not worth losing out a fantastic low profile and arguably his best combo starter
It could easily just be made his down special when not in the air.

That way, you could keep his current down tilt, and also make his down special actually useful on the ground.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

If Officer Howard from Astral Chain was to be added, a really cool thing in that game is that if you get knocked up while your legion is out, you can call the legion over to help you recover. It'd be cool if alongside the back, forward, and standing tech if you could also tech upwards into the air with the help of the legion.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
If you want low profiling I've got your man
View attachment 302913View attachment 302914

Honestly, Sol's 2D low profiling is so iconic to players that Sakurai's feel foolish not to let it do so
Grand Viper doesn't only do a lot of damage to the opponent, but also to both player's eardrums!

GRAND VIPERRRR ****ING BIGASS EXPLOSION

God if he ever gets into Smash it better be as loud as in GGACR. It's truly the loudest move for the loudest game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Grand Viper doesn't only do a lot of damage to the opponent, but also to both player's eardrums!

GRAND VIPERRRR ****ING BIGASS EXPLOSION

God if he ever gets into Smash it better be as loud as in GGACR. It's truly the loudest move for the loudest game.
Nonono. How could you say that? Clearly, the DI version needs to blow out everyone's ****ing speakers instead while RIDE THE FIRE gives everyone tinnitus

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Diddy needs aerial cartwheels, and being able to jump cancel his dash attacks, and move through shields with his dash attack just like characters as Wolf can.

Ike also needs his projectile yes. But at this point, I don't know which move has to be replaced with it. His specials are essential. But maybe they could go for a way the projectile of Link and his blade beam work?

Mewtwo needs an actual Psychic command grab, definitely needs something more powerful for his Specials than Confusion and Disable. His grab also should be ranged, he's a psychic. And add reasonable weight. 110 wouldn't even make him busted. Just give him more ranged attacks and slightly more end lag to make it work. He'd still be highly technical.

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord

Mario is only my secondary, but it would be cool if he could damage people by footstooling them

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
7.1 magnitude earthquake in Japan. Let's hope Sakurai will be okay.
7.1 magnitude earthquakes aren’t strong enough to cause tsunamis are they...?

cause in one month it’ll be a decade since the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami. That was a magnitude 9.0

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
crashes through door BAH!

Smashboards, I don't want to alarm you, but we might be getting a news update of some kind soon:

Well, I know the tweet says Direct, but we all know those are in limbo at the moment.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Smashboards, I don't want to alarm you, but we might be getting a news update of some kind soon:

Well, I know the tweet says Direct, but we all know those are in limbo at the moment.
Could be an uploaded Mini like the one that teased an ARMS rep

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

It could be a Pokemon Direct.

SKX31

Smash Master

Besides differentiating most Echoes from their normal counterparts further - which I'm fully in favor of:

Cloud's in a decently good spot as he is right now. He's almost assuredly one of the most popular characters across all levels, to quote a post in the Competitive Impressions thread:

Zoomed out for a more holistic view, Cloud is almost certainly the single most popular character across all levels of play.

There's lots of clear reasons for this:
  • Appealing character design
  • Simple, well-rounded moveset
  • No central, taxing weakness
  • Strength in common low-level moves: f-smash, dash attack, d-tilt
  • Flashy yet very easy-to-use gimmick in Limit
But this is no Ganondorf--there are no major structural issues that keep the army of Cloud players from leveling up to Sparg0 tier. Limit can be heavily optimized and used in creative ways. Disjoint never goes out of style. His recovery has just enough mixups. And when the kids grow up from f-smash to u-smash, they discover a simply fantastic move.
It's difficult to say what could be replaced for him since he's really well fleshed out already. For example, Cross-Slash is at first glance a normal kinda mashy attack, but its limit version is an extremely dangerous kill move and edgeguard tool off stage (it causes untechable situations at around 100 - 110 % IIRC if the opponent is hit against the wall) and can be used once to stall in mid-air and give Cloud's recovery one mixup.

If one absolutely had to rework him he could lean more on the 7R traits (such as Operator / Punisher mode) although that would have to be a cautious rework because the character's already in a good spot.

As far as other characters... Toon Link could certainly benefit from having more items from Wind Waker or the Spirit Tracks / Phantom Hourglass. It feels strange IMHO when TLink's been playing like a weird Link / Young Link hybrid for three straight games. He does have some distinct traits like some attacks (Nair, Fair, FSmash) and his floatiness, but it might be worth exploring that further.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
We could end up getting a Pokemon Direct on the last week of February and following that a Direct on the first week of March.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Ace Attorney isn't a Pokemon game though
That'd be fun to see...

Anyways, I think it's a safe bet we're getting a Pokemon Direct at some point. If I had to guess, I'd say the actual anniversary week (the week of the 26th). Assuming these Ace Attorney games are, in fact, getting officially revealed in a Direct of some kind, it'll probably be either before or after that, depending on what else there is.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I mean next week is also Zelda's anniversary, so we may get some news on that too. Maybe a Direct Mini? Though then I wonder why they wouldn't save Crash 4's announcement for that (although Activision may have just wanted to get the announcement out there early).
Pokemon kind of marches to the beat of it's own drums, I'd expect a Pokemon direct at the end of the month.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'VE COME TO MAKE AN ANNOUNCEMENT
The 15.5th Touhou game, Antimony of Common Flowers, is finally getting ported to the Switch and PS4 this Spring. Now we can finally settle the debate of whether or not Touhou has an official game on the Switch (Though there's still going to be debates on the nitty-gritty details, I'm sure of it). Here's to hoping it gets localized, preferably with a better official translation than the Steam version.

Alright, you may carry on with your day.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
The 15.5th Touhou game, Antimony of Common Flowers, is finally getting ported to the Switch and PS4 this Spring. Now we can finally settle the debate of whether or not Touhou has an official game on the Switch (Though there's still going to be debates on the nitty-gritty details, I'm sure of it). Here's to hoping it gets localized, preferably with a better official translation than the Steam version.

15.5th? This series is complicated enough as is, do we really need to go the Kingdom Hearts route with numbering?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

With the first line, I thought you were going to curse out Shadow the Hedgehog and Obama. :troll:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
15.5th? This series is complicated enough as is, do we really need to go the Kingdom Hearts route with numbering?
That's how they number the spinoffs, adding a decimal point between the two mainline games. So, Immaterial and Missing Power was a fighting game released between the 7th and 8th games, so it's 7.5. This system is also how we end up with Fairy Wars becoming the 12.8th game in the series.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Ironically this would actually be a nerf to Kirby as he'd no longer actually low profile nor would his hurtbox actually shrink unlike every other slide attack
I know it doesn't in this art, but doesn't he pancake quite a bit in the actual game? I always pictured it being somewhere between Cloud/Sephiroth and Mega Man's slide attacks, with the former's low profiling, the latter's distance, and a middle ground of speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom