• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Nine Echoes
Yeah, Ken-tier ones if they're even going to be echoes.

And yes, Nintendo would see Eevee as worth it due to it and Pokemon's popularity, but Sakurai, despite being more willing to work than most Smash fans, would still try to limit himself to what's reasonable. Like a trio that already covers defense, speed, and attack power.

I could see a potential Eevee line being added Bowser Jr. style if they were all limited to just doing Eevee stuff and didn't bring their own abilities into the equation.

Then again, Jolteon doesn't have a tail. There goes that idea.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I could see a potential Eevee line being added Bowser Jr. style if they were all limited to just doing Eevee stuff and didn't bring their own abilities into the equation.

That would honestly be kind of lame to have them without their own moves though. Eevee's multi evolution gimmick is not something I can see that can be feasibly incorporated into Smash in a way that people would enjoy.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

That, and the tails don't really match up with each other anyways

Trying to pull a Bowser Jr. would just look really awkward, especially since there isn't a Clown Car to cover them up.
I pretty much agree with your post, or at least most of it.

However I will say Estelle is, as far as I know, one of Kondo's favorite characters. In this reddit AMA he said he loves all Trails characters but that Estelle is probably the one he loves more. In a different question he also chooses the Trails in the Sky trilogy (Estelle's games) as the story he enjoyed the most during writing.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/c8u8iy/ama_i_am_toshihiro_kondo_president_of_nihon

Obviously he wouldn't decide which character would join Smash, but for this reason I always saw kind of weird he never mentioned Estelle when he was asked who he would pick for representing Falcom in Smash. Considering his attachment to her, I'd expect Estelle being mentioned when he answered but he only talked about Rean and Adol.
Admittedly Adol also holds a special place on his heart according to another interview. Not surprising because he was involved in the development of Ys games for a long time.
Yeah, I think I mentioned that. Estelle seems to have cemented herself in the minds of the fans and developers alike, which is why I think she's pretty even with Rean as a Trails rep.
I do wonder how much influence he'd have on the decision. Would it be another ARMS situation where Sakurai goes to the director, or would they give him a specific character to work with? On that note, I wonder if he consulted the people over at SNK for Terry, or if he was dead-set on Terry from the beginning. Seeing as he's the SNK fanboy he is, I'd imagine he had thought of that scenario for a while.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Trying to pull a Bowser Jr. would just look really awkward, especially since there isn't a Clown Car to cover them up.
And the fact that they all have drastically different moves.

That would honestly be kind of lame to have them without their own moves though. Eevee's multi evolution gimmick is not something I can see that can be feasibly incorporated into Smash in a way that people would enjoy.
I don't even like the idea of composite Eeveelutions, tbh. I just don't see us getting an Eevee that evolves mid-match. At best it makes Eevee into a comeback character and at worst it becomes super convoluted.

True, but we've had Byleth with mild animation differences, so if the tail wasn't functional I could see some minor animation tweaks to make it work. The devs probably wouldn't want to deal with programming/animating a bunch of different skeletons, though.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
True, but we've had Byleth with mild animation differences, so if the tail wasn't functional I could see some minor animation tweaks to make it work. The devs probably wouldn't want to deal with programming/animating a bunch of different skeletons, though.
Yeah, the proportions are all different. A couple animation differences could be feasible, but trying to cram entirely different body types into the same slot would look really awkward. It's like Mario and Wario being the same, or Marth and Ike. It'd just feel really off.

Yeah, the proportions are all different. A couple animation differences could be feasible, but trying to cram entirely different body types into the same slot would look really awkward. It's like Mario and Wario being the same, or Marth and Ike. It'd just feel really off.
Yup.

The funny thing is that Chrom and Roy actually have different proportions and they are echo fighters. Chrom's just shrunk down to fit on Roy's frame. It's not as big of a deal because it's mostly just the head, but you can tell Chrom's supposed to be taller.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I don't even like the idea of composite Eeveelutions, tbh. I just don't see us getting an Eevee that evolves mid-match. At best it makes Eevee into a comeback character and at worst it becomes super convoluted.
Yeah if we're getting a character that evolves mid battle, it will be a Digimon and not a Pokemon that evolves permanently.

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
If Eevee were to be a fighter it probably would have its own moveset while summoning its evolutions via specials. Something like how Duck Hunt summons the gunmen. Maybe the same special could be cycled through like Shulk's Monado Arts as well

RetroBro

Smash Ace
I think the concept of Eevee being added is interesting if they fully incorporate the evolutions somehow.

Eevee alone is just... I just can't see it.

Not trying to be contrarian but one of the Gen 8 starters is definitely most likely. I'm not a big fan of Cinderace being added just because we've had fire starters added so much at this point. I'd prefer the other two.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
the Gen 8 starters is definitely most likely
From my point of view it's either Eevee or Cinderace. They could either go for recent promotion, or eternal promotion, and I'd rather have something that reps more than one series of rushed games.

Eeeyah911

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArkGod123
Switch FC
SW-6879-3932-9767
I can say one thing though.

If a Fortnite character gets added to smash, then this game will be deleted from my Switch because of how much I freaking despise that rancid filth.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
From my point of view it's either Eevee or Cinderace. They could either go for recent promotion, or eternal promotion, and I'd rather have something that reps more than one series of rushed games.
Except we could also see a Gen 4 Pokemon if we get Sinnoh remakes this year.

Eeeyah911

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArkGod123
Switch FC
SW-6879-3932-9767
If it makes you feel better, one of my most wanteds is Billy Hatcher.

Trust me, ALL the characters you listed are more likely than him...
Yes. But even then, they will get rejected for characters that I don't care about. Like Takumi (FE: Fates) or Bandana Waddle Dee.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I can say one thing though.

If a Fortnite character gets added to smash, then this game will be deleted from my Switch because of how much I freaking despise that rancid filth.
I don't care about Fortnite either but I'm not going to act overdramatic over the character's inclusion and act like it's a blight upon Smash that ruined the series forever.

l'll just simply choose not to buy it.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don’t think I’ve ever understood the composite Eevee idea.

They’re different shapes and sizes. Being locked into one particular type for one stock sounds awful gameplay-wise, and if you’re able to swap during a match that’s totally not how Eevee works.

I just think there’s probably a reason why Eevee is a pokeball. It doesn’t mean I don’t like Eevee, I actually do very much. I’m just not a huge fan of the composite idea and I don’t think they’d ever go for that to be quite honest with you.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Yeah, Ken-tier ones if they're even going to be echoes.

And yes, Nintendo would see Eevee as worth it due to it and Pokemon's popularity, but Sakurai, despite being more willing to work than most Smash fans, would still try to limit himself to what's reasonable. Like a trio that already covers defense, speed, and attack power.
Or, you could give him the Colors of said Eeveelution. If they couldn't do the Eeveelutions themselves, considering the Tails, then they could just give Eevee new Special Moves, pull a Pichu, and make the Eeveelutions Eevee Recolors if it's impossible to do them as Echoes.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I don't care about Fortnite either but I'm not going to act overdramatic over the character's inclusion and act like it's a blight upon Smash that ruined the series forever.

l'll just simply choose not to buy it.
Agreed. Fortnite doesn’t necessarily interest me, but even then, I think I could be able to enjoy the inclusion of a fighter from it. Besides, when you get down to it, the fact that it in itself has become a colossal crossover (read: Marvel & DC with some extra goodies on the side) is pretty frickin’ awesome.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
As popular as the Eeveelution fighter concept is, I strongly believe Game Freak would have issues dealing with the evolution gimmick as it does not coincide with how Pokémon works. Even ignoring everything about the Eevee Pokéball, for some reason evolution isn't even touched upon with enhanced spirits, instead opting for Pokémon that can form change. So I doubt Eevee would come with that gimmick.

I do think there is a way to implement Eevee without it, but it risks the mainstream introduction of a certain... Baddy Bad.

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
If Eevee were to be a fighter it probably would have its own moveset while summoning its evolutions via specials. Something like how Duck Hunt summons the gunmen. Maybe the same special could be cycled through like Shulk's Monado Arts as well
To go into this idea further its neutral special can be used to temporarily spawn one of its kanto evolutions for an attack, side special summons the one of the johto ones and down special one of the sinnoh ones. There's still variation but they aren't all crammed into one button input

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
uh oh doublepost
Nope. Riley beat you to it.

As popular as the Eeveelution fighter concept is, I strongly believe Game Freak would have issues dealing with the evolution gimmick as it does not coincide with how Pokémon works. Even ignoring everything about the Eevee Pokéball, for some reason evolution isn't even touched upon with enhanced spirits, instead opting for Pokémon that can form change. So I doubt Eevee would come with that gimmick.

I do think there is a way to implement Eevee without it, but it risks the mainstream introduction of a certain... Baddy Bad.
It is worth noting though that Pokémon are allowed to be depicted evolving while in battle, as it happens all the time in the anime for dramatic effect.

I do think Eevee would have to come with more of an assist gimmick though, with the Eeveelutions coming in with Special Moves, throws, and what have you. Otherwise, you'd have to make Eeveelution temporary (which I believe has been a thing in one manga and that's it), making the stones act like more generic power sources, or permanent, which is just uninteresting, as it would boil down to which Eevelution does the best in the current matchup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom