• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Its weird how Pokemon never really gets brought up in discussions considering its likely Nintendo might push one of the slots for a Pokemon.

Bold prediction: We will get a pokemon and people will be blindsided by the pick

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Pretty late but here's the rundown:
  • After Sephiroth, people starting discussing characters from already represented third-parties, like Chun-Li and Eggman. At the same time, we realized we have a habit of darting to characters similar to the most recent one after every reveal, only for the next fighter to fill another niche instead.
  • Shortly after, @Ayumi Tachibana dug up an old 5chan rumor from around SSBU's launch detailing deals that didn't go through. It got Steve, Sephiroth, and Erdrick right, and also noted Chun-Li, Lloyd, and Yuri as having been dropped. In addition, there was some info on how Sora and Geno were candidates, but didn't go through either.
  • Discussion shifted to Chun-Li and Tales of, but somehow Chun-Li ended up hijacking the conversation and it turned into the Chun-Leak. That went on for a while until the following note.
  • Another leak sprung up courtesy of Imran Khan regarding Byleth reusing some ideas from a scrapped Monster Hunter character (Which is reasonable) and being planned for the base game (Decidedly less reasonable). This brought the dropped deals/Chun-Leak grinding to a halt, and a couple people were quite miffed. But it's all good, because we got this poorly photoshopped image of Dogi from Ys as the Kool-Aid Man.
View attachment 296794
Now we just don't have a real topic at the moment, which is rather unfortunate because I was enjoying the dropped deals discussion.
EDIT: Oh yeah and DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon returned from the dead to write an essay on Gordon Freeman, leading to a couple of deliciously stupid SFM %$#@posts. It was nice.
We don't have a topic at the moment?

Well then, on today's episode of "I try to get people talking about Disgaea and fail", I invite everyone to a cram session!

https://youtu.be/VuHaBzGPUe8 (posting a link due to some mild language)

This is a video released to help explain Disgaea's mechanics a bit, including some new ones introduced in Disgaea 6. It may help give some additional idea as to what a Disgaea rep could POTENTIALLY bring, assuming Disgaea 6 is used as a basis.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
It's really wild to me to think about how we only have three characters left, and then Ultimate is most likely done.

It's both sad and relieving: I'm gonna miss speculation, but I've also been at Ultimate speculation for like, 3 years now: Even if we got a third pass, I don't think I have it in me for another year+ more of this after next year, lol.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Did I miss this discussion? Look at Rondoline anyway.
Yeah, the dropped deals leak stirred up Chun-Li and Tales discussion, though it ended up being mostly Chun-Li in the end.

But yeah, whipsword users are nice. I think it's a mix of swords being the inherent "cool" thing and Castlevania getting my fixated on whips.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Its weird how Pokemon never really gets brought up in discussions considering its likely Nintendo might push one of the slots for a Pokemon.

Bold prediction: We will get a pokemon and people will be blindsided by the pick
Honestly I think a lot of people have tucked away an expectation of a Gen 8 Pokémon in the back of their minds for if/when it does happen. Its not out of the question for most, its just that many would rather not spend that much time speculating about it it unless they specifically want a Gen 8 rep in.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Honestly I think a lot of people have tucked away an expectation of a Gen 8 Pokémon in the back of their minds for if/when it does happen. Its not out of the question for most, its just that many would rather not spend that much time speculating about it it unless they specifically want a Gen 8 rep in.
That and the Spirit Event.

But we've talked about that enough by now

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Because the Gordon Freeman topic is still fresh I wanna share a new video posted by VNN (the same guy who had access to the Valve giga leak before someone he knew leaked it from him). In this video he talks about 30 cancelled Valve games, this includes the many different iterations of Half Life 3.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
That's why I root for a Gen 8 rep; I liked Gen 8.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Just a Reminder, Sephiroth's DLC Tournament should be today

There could be some interesting implications for the rest of the DLC depending on what the Tournament is about, But I won't be around to see it first hand

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Gen 8 needed a bit more time in the oven and it might've been solid. Instead we got a half-baked mess not worth the cartridges it's printed on.

I don't entirely blame Game Freak like some people seem to. I doubt they wanted to push out something that wasn't done, and they've proven in the past they have it in them to make a good Pokemon game.

Feels like upstairs meddling - namely an unreasonable deadline - that led us to end up with such a pathetic end product.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

That's like the least bold "bold prediction" ever.

People are aware a Pokemon rep is possible. In fact, we've debated it at length here multiple times. It's just that the conversation has been recycled so many times that there's a collective agreement to just shelve it until it either happens or it doesn't.

Paraster

Smash Lord
I'm not that familiar with Tales and I'm curious: why is Lloyd put on a pedestal compared to other protagonists by both speculators and Smash itself (his Mii costume)? Is Symphonia considered the best/most iconic game? Does it come down to his dual-wielding swords? Or is it something else?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That's like the least bold "bold prediction" ever.

People are aware a Pokemon rep is possible. In fact, we've debated it at length here multiple times. It's just that the conversation has been recycled so many times that there's a collective agreement to just shelve it until it either happens or it doesn't.
What’s your opinion of the KOS-MOS/Crash/Reimu rumor and League of Legends rumors?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It covers up more than Velvet. All they need to do is cover up some of the cleavage and it looks as bad as the costume with ZSS's sports bra alts and Phosphora.
I've been mainly bringing up ZSS but actually Phosphora's a better example
1608665793047.png

If we ever discussed her we'd immediately go "No way, no how, CERO won't budge," and yet here she is. Not necessarily as a fighter, yes, but she's still in the game and she's very much uncovered.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
I'm not that familiar with Tales and I'm curious: why is Lloyd put on a pedestal compared to other protagonists by both speculators and Smash itself (his Mii costume)? Is Symphonia considered the best/most iconic game? Does it come down to his dual-wielding swords? Or is it something else?
Cause Symphonia was really popular over here (I believe it was the most sold Tales game here for a while) and because Sakurai said "Who else?" in regards to Lloyd being chosen as a costume.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So I wanted to grab some info about the Mii Costumes and third-parties in Smash. I don't entirely know what to do with this data yet, but I thought I'd throw it out there just to have it all in one place.

Mii Costumes:

Pass 1
JOKER (Atlus/Sega):
  • Morgana Hat (Atlus/Sega)
  • Yu Narukami (Atlus/Sega)
  • Teddie Hat (Atlus/Sega)
  • Makoto Yuki (Atlus/Sega)
  • Tails (Sega)
  • Knuckles (Sega)
HERO (Square-Enix):
  • Veronica (Square-Enix)
  • Erdrick (Square-Enix)
  • Martial Artist M & F (Square-Enix)
  • Slime Hat (Square-Enix)
Interesting note: The default Smash Ultimate theme played during this trailer, unlike normally where each Mii gets a special theme.

BANJO & KAZOOIE (Microsoft):
  • Goemon (Konami)
  • ProtoMan (Capcom)
  • Zero (Capcom)
  • Team Rocket Grunt (Nintendo/Pokemon Company)
  • Sans (Indie - Toby Fox)
TERRY (SNK):
  • Nakoruru (SNK)
  • Ryo Sakazaki (SNK)
  • Iori Yagami (SNK)
  • Akira (Sega)
  • Jacky (Sega)
BYLETH (Nintendo):
  • Altair (Ubisoft)
  • Rabbid Hat (Ubisoft)
  • X (Capcom)
  • MegaMan.EXE (Capcom)
  • Cuphead (Microsoft)
Pass 2
MIN MIN (Nintendo):
  • Ninjara (Nintendo)
  • Heihachi (Bandai-Namco)
  • Marie (Nintendo)
  • Callie (Nintendo)
  • Vault Boy (Bethesda)
STEVE (Mojang/Microsoft):
  • Creeper (Mojang/Microsoft)
  • Pig (Mojang/Microsoft)
  • Diamond Armor (Mojang/Microsoft)
  • Gil (Bandai-Namco)
  • Bomberman (Konami)
  • Travis Touchdown (Marvelous/Grasshopper)
SEPHIROTH (Square-Enix):
  • Barret (Square-Enix)
  • Tifa (Square-Enix)
  • Aerith (Square-Enix)
  • Chocobo Hat (Square-Enix)
  • Geno (Square-Enix)
PYRA/MYTHRA (Nintendo/MONOLITHSOFT)
  • Monster Hunter Armor (Capcom)
  • Rathalos Armor (Capcom)
  • Felyne Hat (Capcom)
  • Arthur (Ghosts 'n' Goblins) (Capcom)
Note: Sakurai mentioned that the Capcom costumes in the pass were included due to Monster Hunter Rise and the new Ghosts 'n' Goblins both having release dates soon.

KAZUYA (Bandai-Namco)
  • Lloyd Irving (Bandai-Namco)
  • Dragonborn (Bethesda)
  • Dante (Capcom)
  • Shantae (WayForward)
Third parties in Smash as a result of all this: Konami, Sega/Atlus, Capcom, Bandai-Namco, Koei-Tecmo (Fatal Frame Spirits), Microsoft/Mojang, SNK, Ubisoft, Grasshopper Manufacture, Marvelous (DXM Spirits - October 2019), Tetris Company (Tetris Spirits - October 2019), Arc System Works (Kunio Spirits - January 2020), Bethesda, WayForward

Random notes:
  • No Bandai-Namco costumes appeared until Heihachi in pass 2
  • If other negotiation discussions are to be believed, the Enix side of Squeenix is who handles the majority of DQ-related content
  • So far, Sans, Cuphead, and Shantae have come with songs

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
What’s your opinion of the KOS-MOS/Crash/Reimu rumor and League of Legends rumors?
KOS-MOS/Crash/Reimu "leak" is something I feel you get me? Like, I think it could definitely happen but just like any other text "leak" it remains to be proven. We'll just have to wait and see if any of those three characters are revealed next.

No clue what you're talking about with League of Legends rumors, but I've always thought League is way more likely than people give it credit for.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Tales of Symphonia's basically the Final Fantasy 7 of the franchise. It broke the series out into the Western market, making it fairly popular in Japan and the face of the series in the West. In addition, Nintendo Power pushed it at every turn and it was a JRPG on the JRPG-starved GameCube, making it pretty popular with Nintendo audiences. This led to him being a popular Smash request as well. This culminated in him getting a Mii Costume in SSB4, with Sakurai stating that "He didn't think it could be anyone else" to represent the series.

So yeah. Long story short, he's basically the Cloud Strife of Tales, with the added benefit of being a frequent request as well.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
KOS-MOS/Crash/Reimu as a leak has no merit beyond nailing Sephiroth - quite probably a lucky guess.
So, in my head, I isolate the 5chan leak from the idea of KOS-MOS, Crash, and Reimu, in that order, being the latter half of the pass.
And in a vacuum, it makes a lot of sense. It all lines up bizarrely well. I had a little essay post about this a while ago, but I'm a tad lazy to go dig it up.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
KOS-MOS/Crash/Reimu "leak" is something I feel you get me? Like, I think it could definitely happen but just like any other text "leak" it remains to be proven. We'll just have to wait and see if any of those three characters are revealed next.

No clue what you're talking about with League of Legends rumors, but I've always thought League is way more likely than people give it credit for.
Iirc the League rumor said a League character was coming, also a ToM spirit event (check), LoL-universe games coming to consoles (check), and a Hollow Knight PreMiium Swordfighter coming with a sealed vessel remix

Dr. Yatagarasu

Smash Apprentice
The KOS-MOS/Crash/Reimu "leak" has no room for error. All three of these characters would have to take the last three spots, and I can't imagine it being lucky enough to survive even the next bundle.
Pretty much.
Crash getting in... doesn't really do much for the leak honestly, but if either KOS-MOS or Reimu got in next then it would probably be a good idea to take it fairly seriously.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
SMRPG doesn't have any Square Enix characters, unless you're just referring to the original characters created for that game. But yeah I agree with you on this.
Small correction: It does have one in Culex. I believe he's a secret boss. Definitely nothing major though.

I'm pretty sure Geno is exactly the kind of character Nintendo doesn't want in modern Mario games with the advent of their Mario Shadow Committee.
I'd have to agree. While I'm not sure Waluigi is purposely getting the shaft considering his constant appearances, and even prominence in Mario Tennis Aces, but I'd imagine if they wanted spin-off characters (such as Fawful, Paper Mario, and Professor E. Gadd) in the Mario Kart, Mario Sports, or Mario Party series, they would be there already instead of a handful of the generic enemies.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
here's a spicy take: One day, there will be a non-video game character in Smash. It won't be this game, it probably won't be the next game, but eventually the director (probably not Sakurai) will look at Goku or something and say "yes, I can do that".
Can it please be Bond? That'd be epic

regulus tera

Smash Apprentice
Symphonia came out at a time when the Gamecube was barren of third party titles, much less RPGs, which were all going to the PS2. A high profile title like Symphonia debuting on GCN (it was the first Tales in 3D) grabbed a lot of attention from the regular Nintendo fanbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom