• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I once argue with a person on Twitter and says that the Advent Children songs makes the Mickey keychain possible because they're from a movie??? I mean at least Final Fantasy established their brand as a game and Advent Children is just one out of many branch that SE took to expand the franchise just like Epic Mickey or Disney Infinite.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Wanting Sora and hating on Goku is sorta a Double Standart
Here's the thing. Sora originates from a video game. People only want Sora and don't want disney content with him. It is possible for Sora to come to smash with no non-video game content like his friends and organisation 13.

However Goku purely originates from non-video games so it's impossible for him to not bring non-video game content with him. That's the difference. There are no double standards.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but - bah? Different models and renders are not handled like this at all. Fighters each have their own folder containing model and motion data for slots 1-8 (or c00 to c07).

There's a parameter file that controls how many alt options a fighter has (the engine has support for more, up to 255 per fighter) as well as what entry in the fighter name file any given slot will use (Used for Olimar, Bowser Jr. and Steve but can work with anyone). Meanwhile the renders are handled in the same way, with the same parameter file dictating how many a fighter has and in turn, which ones to load on the CSS.

Bowser Jr., a character with eight full-fledged character swap alts, takes up one slot, the same as Captain Falcon who's got nothing but basic recolors. Sephiroth's shirtless alt is not taking up another fighter slot. No fighter is taking up more than one, unless for whatever reason you counted echoes.
I swear there was a major difference at one point between how characters in the main game are handled and how slots in WOL are handled. I don't have the exact words for it, and it might not be literal slots, but I swear there was something in the data where certain characters and costumes took up multiple states specifically in WOL mode, and everyone thought these slots would get filled but in reality they just kept adding more dummies.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
I once argue with a person on Twitter and says that the Advent Children songs makes the Mickey keychain possible because they're from a movie??? I mean at least Final Fantasy established their brand as a game and Advent Children is just one out of many branch that SE took to expand the franchise just like Epic Mickey or Disney Infinite.
I don't care what people say about Disney Infinity. Being able to play as Randall Boggs with a gun while Jack Sparrow tries to run you over with a sports car was the ****.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Idk why people don't understand the simple concept of:
Sora is a VIDEO GAME character, coming from a VIDEO GAME franchise that started as such.
Kingdom Hearts has Disney and Final Fantasy Elements.
But Kingdom Hearts is light Kingdom Hearts. It's not a Disney movie, not a Final Fantasy Game. It's source material is itself, and stand on it's own.

It would be like saying Geno isn't eligible for smash because SMRPG has Square-Enix characters and so, it's not a Mario game. Or that the Mario sport games with FF guests are not Mario games because of the FF guests.

I think people are just scared to see their precious game tainted with a / copyright Disney at the end.

Arcane Jill

Smash Apprentice
Coming from someone who used to be hung up on the whole keychain thing for Sora: You could just change the keychain.

Also, coming from someone who has played through and adored every game in the series but one, you could totally rep Kingdom Hearts properly without Disney. Heck, the Disney characters have like next to no actual involvement in the plot nowadays anyways, they're just kinda...There.
I feel like they might give him a Smash-inspired keyblade with the Smash logo as the Keychain. That or Oathkeeper/Ultima Weapon.

There is plenty of OC in Kingdom Hearts that can be used, no Disney content is really needed. Feel like he's not in because we aren't getting 2 SE characters in 1 pass most likely, but still.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Idk why people don't understand the simple concept of:
Sora is a VIDEO GAME character, coming from a VIDEO GAME franchise that started as such.
Kingdom Hearts has Disney and Final Fantasy Elements.
But Kingdom Hearts is light Kingdom Hearts. It's not a Disney movie, not a Final Fantasy Game. It's source material is itself, and stand on it's own.

It would be like saying Geno isn't eligible for smash because SMRPG has Square-Enix characters and so, it's not a Mario game. Or that the Mario sport games with FF guests are not Mario games because of the FF guests.

I think people are just scared to see their precious game tainted with a / copyright Disney at the end.
SMRPG doesn't have any Square Enix characters, unless you're just referring to the original characters created for that game. But yeah I agree with you on this.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I own that, personally. I hate Disney more than I like any character and I'd give up my most wanted in a heartbeat to keep them out of Smash, no joke. I don't even have anything against Sora himself, poor guy's all caught up in my vendetta.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
The only anime characters I want in Smash unironically are Team Rocket.

I think it's also the only one I'd be fine with Sakurai bending the rules of since he already included Misty's anime outfit in Melee and Ash Greninja in Ultimate...
Heck, Jessie and James have appeared in the games. Yellow, Go, Let's Go, maybe others.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I think it'd be cool if Nintendo approached Square to have Geno, maybe Mallow too - be in Mario Kart. Mario Kart's roster is frustrating for two reasons. One is how padded it is and the other is how completely unneccessary the padding is - they could have an even bigger roster of drivers than they currently have with no fluff to speak of. Bring back Funky, Birdo, throw in K. Rool, go do what I just said and ask Square about Geno and Mallow, come on.

Smash is rough, priorities can get tight, so I get that Geno couldn't make the cut. But like - Mario Kart? I think he'd be the single best addition they could make.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
So you beat me because atleast 5-6 people are disagreeing me and try to spin my Words i n my Mouth

Just think about it if a Person starts getting more Devensive and seems to not enjoy the disscusion anymore please Stop ganging up on them if i ever do this to you (i mean being part of a big your Wrong Group please tell me Because i would try to defend your Opinion)
you should do this aswell because im really sick of being The (i know this Word may be Harsh) Evil one whereever i go
Ok deal? we could try and help People Standing Alone vs a 6 Person (or more Army) Because i think this is basicly (on a much smaller Scale) how Canceling Works so Tell me (when im in such a Situation) to stop and listen to me when i do so that Disscusion is more Fair and Fun to everyone

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So you beat me because atleast 5-6 people are disagreeing me and try to spin my Words i n my Mouth

Just think about it if a Person starts getting more Devensive and seems to not enjoy the disscusion anymore please Stop ganging up on them if i ever do this to you (i mean being part of a big your Wrong Group please tell me Because i would try to defend your Opinion)
you should do this aswell because im really sick of being The (i know this Word may be Harsh) Evil one whereever i go
Ok deal? we could try and help People Standing Alone vs a 6 Person (or more Army) Because i think this is basicly (on a much smaller Scale) how Canceling Works so Tell me (when im in such a Situation) to stop and listen to me when i do so that Disscusion is more Fair and Fun to everyone
Dude you just said something that's wrong, got called out on it, and kept defending it. What did you expect, everyone to agree with you? I don't think you know what getting canceled means if that's what you think is happening with you.

Spatman

Smash Ace
I don't even care for Rex and I honestly think he got ganked the hardest out of anyone, seriously, it's rough.
I think Dixie was even more: with the original release of Tropical Freeze and its re-release for Switch, she was in the right, fitting time for base Smash 4, for Smash 4 dlc and also for base Ultimate and for FP1 too!

(K Rool doesn't count because he has been added only for the ballot; and in fact he has nothing to do with TF)

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
I think Dixie was even more: with the original release of Tropical Freeze and its re-release for Switch, she was in the right, fitting time for base Smash 4, for Smash 4 dlc and also for base Ultimate

(K Rool doesn't count because he has been added only for the ballot; and in fact he has nothing to do with TF)
I remember hearing a rumor that K. Rool was planned to be a bonus boss in the Switch version of Tropical Freeze but was cut, presumably because Nintendo wanted his grand return to be in Smash.

Absolutely no clue if this was true or not and I can't remember where I heard it so take it with a grain of salt.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I remember hearing a rumor that K. Rool was planned to be a bonus boss in the Switch version of Tropical Freeze but was cut, presumably because Nintendo wanted his grand return to be in Smash.

Absolutely no clue if this was true or not and I can't remember where I heard it so take it with a grain of salt.
IIRC that was the DK Vine interview.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Heck, Jessie and James have appeared in the games. Yellow, Go, Let's Go, maybe others.
Yeah I actually think they're quite an interesting case as I'm unsure where they land on the whole 'video game characters only' debate.

We know they started as anime only, but Pokemon's a weird one with this:
  • The Meowth's Party tech demo was definitely based off of the anime
  • Jessie and James integrated into Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, Pokemon Go, Pokemon Yellow and Pokemon Masters
  • Lucario and Mewtwo speak(anime only) in Smash
  • Smash use their anime voices instead of game bit vocals(aside from Pikachu who has used the anime voice as their game voice a lot)
  • Ash Greninja being a limited time give away in the Pokemon games as well as appearing in Greninja's Final Smash in Ultimate.
  • Limited anime tie in Pokemon given away in the main games including Meowth and Ash's Pikachu
  • Misty appearing in her anime garb rather than her game outfit in Melee
I very much doubt they'll happen due to the nature of Pokemon additions in Smash, but anyone have any thoughts on them?

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think it'd be cool if Nintendo approached Square to have Geno, maybe Mallow too - be in Mario Kart. Mario Kart's roster is frustrating for two reasons. One is how padded it is and the other is how completely unneccessary the padding is - they could have an even bigger roster of drivers than they currently have with no fluff to speak of. Bring back Funky, Birdo, throw in K. Rool, go do what I just said and ask Square about Geno and Mallow, come on.

Smash is rough, priorities can get tight, so I get that Geno couldn't make the cut. But like - Mario Kart? I think he'd be the single best addition they could make.
I'm pretty sure Geno is exactly the kind of character Nintendo doesn't want in modern Mario games with the advent of their Mario Shadow Committee.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
The same "Sora is Disney he isn't video game he can't be in Smash!" argument for the umpteenth time
There are so many other topics to discuss, like my Gordon Freeman essay which draws upon previous negotiation leaks to make a really interesting point about how Gordon Freeman could be in Smash (but can also be applied to other characters)!

Now please, let's talk about other topics before I leave again out of sheer boredom.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm pretty sure Geno is exactly the kind of character Nintendo doesn't want in modern Mario games with the advent of their Mario Shadow Committee.
While I still find their stance on variations of individuals within a species questionable (not sure exactly either way), they seem to be okay with unique characters at least.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Who are we all talking about over here right now? Anything juicy?
Pretty late but here's the rundown:
  • After Sephiroth, people starting discussing characters from already represented third-parties, like Chun-Li and Eggman. At the same time, we realized we have a habit of darting to characters similar to the most recent one after every reveal, only for the next fighter to fill another niche instead.
  • Shortly after, A Ayumi Tachibana dug up an old 5chan rumor from around SSBU's launch detailing deals that didn't go through. It got Steve, Sephiroth, and Erdrick right, and also noted Chun-Li, Lloyd, and Yuri as having been dropped. In addition, there was some info on how Sora and Geno were candidates, but didn't go through either.
  • Discussion shifted to Chun-Li and Tales of, but somehow Chun-Li ended up hijacking the conversation and it turned into the Chun-Leak. That went on for a while until the following note.
  • Another leak sprung up courtesy of Imran Khan regarding Byleth reusing some ideas from a scrapped Monster Hunter character (Which is reasonable) and being planned for the base game (Decidedly less reasonable). This brought the dropped deals/Chun-Leak grinding to a halt, and a couple people were quite miffed. But it's all good, because we got this poorly photoshopped image of Dogi from Ys as the Kool-Aid Man.
DogiTheKoolAidMan.png

Now we just don't have a real topic at the moment, which is rather unfortunate because I was enjoying the dropped deals discussion.
EDIT: Oh yeah and DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon returned from the dead to write an essay on Gordon Freeman, leading to a couple of deliciously stupid SFM %$#@posts. It was nice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom