• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Okay, guys, I thought I'd play a lil game if you're all interested.
If you could add newcomers to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate from any (or every) series, regardless of 'importance' to their series, how many or how few characters are currently included, how many characters are in the game, fan rules, taking up 'slots' from someone else, or how relevant they are..who would you choose?
No judgments, just curious..here are my choices.
:ultmario:: Geno, Waluigi (ideally a Wario Rep..but he hasn't been in a Wario game yet..), Vivian, King Boo, Fawful
:ultdk:: Dixie Kong
:ultzelda:: Impa (AoC), Ganon (LttP-style), Midna & Wolf Link
:ultyoshi:: Kamek
:ultkirby:: Adeleine, Bandana Waddle Dee
:ultfox:: Krystal (Adventures-based, Assault Alt)
:ultpikachu:: Gardevoir (my fav)
:ultness:: Kumatora
:ultfalcon:: Black Shadow
:ultmarth:: Tharja, Lyn, Edelgard, Hector
:ultpit:: Medusa
:ultwario:: Ashley, Capt. Syrup
:ultsnake:: Raiden
:ultsonic:: Dr. Eggman, Shadow, Knuckles
:ultmegaman:: Zero (MMZ-based, MMX Alt), Bass.EXE
:ultshulk:: Nia & Dromarch, Rex & Prya/Mithra, Melia, Elma
:ultryu:: Chun-Li, Akira (Rival Schools)
:ultcloud:: Terra Branford, Tifa Lockhart, Rydia
:ultbayonetta:: Jeanne
:ultinkling:: Octolings
:ultsimon:: Shanoa
:ultjoker:: Aigis
:ult_terry:: Athena Asamiya (technically Terry reps SNK based on the Music)
:ultminmin: Twintelle, Lola Pop
:ultmario:: Geno
:ultyounglink:: Oot Adult link and Masked Link (Deku Link, Goron Link and Zora Link)
:ultyoshi:: Poochie
:ultkirby:: Bandanna Dee
:ultfox:: Krystal
:ultpikachu:: Decidueye, Bisharp and Salamence
:ultness:: Porky
:ultfalcon:: Pico and Black Shadow
:ultmarth:: Black Knight
:ultpit:: Hades
:ultsnake:: Liquid Snake
:ultsonic:: Tails and Dr. Eggman
:ultmegaman:: Protoman
:ultryu:: Chun Li
:ultcloud:: Cecil and Zidane
:ultsimon:: Alucard
:ult_terry:: Kyo Kusangi, K' and Iori
:ultminmin: Byte and Barq

Here is another game to kill some boredom.

Your second most wanted character becomes playable, but at cost of your most wanted character becoming Mii and coming with your second most wanted.
Would you take it?
So Axel Stone becomes playable but Sgt. Cortez is a Mii Costume? Nope! Cortez has too much moveset potential for me to pass up and I'm genuinely speaking.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So Axel Stone becomes playable but Sgt. Cortez is a Mii Costume? Nope! Cortez has too much moveset potential for me to pass up and I'm genuinely speaking.
You fool! It'd still be a stepping stone for Cortez to be playable in Smash 6! Think of the exposure!

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I think the 3rd party characters we have now have their own merits to get in, and were either Iconic or popular in their own way

I think the 4 that get/got the most flak are Bayonetta, Joker, Banjo, and Terry

Banjo I think had some pushback because he was not really in the limelight, especially since other options from his Same company includes Steve from Minecraft and Master Chief from Halo. We did at least get Steve in the end, and it seems Steve was planned before Banjo, so I think he'll get less flak

Bayonetta had special circumstances around her, and her games were at least heavily acclaimed. I will say it is kind of weird that none of the More Iconic Action game stars (Dante, Ryu, Kratos) are in the game, but Bayo is. Kratos makes sense why, but Ryu and Dante being missing is something to consider, only the dev team knows.

Joker did come from the most popular game in a long-standing franchises, and I think Persona 5 might go on to be come one of the more Iconic RPG games to be honest. I would say Joker is more popular than Iconic, but that's good too. 2B is kind of the same way as well

Terry is Iconic to the Fighting game crowd, and Places that grew up with the Arcade era and/or SNK. I think honestly though when people think of Iconic fighting game franchises, Tekken and Mortal Kombat come to mind before Fatal Fury/King of Fighters, and that's why I think alot of people (Including me) did kind of overlook Terry. Tekken and Mortal Kombat have their own issues, and in Tekken's case it seems they weren't picked

I think the 3rd party lineup doesn't have a choice that makes people scratch their heads, and I think Nintendo knows what they are doing. I think they will continue to go for more of the Popular 3rd parties instead of more niche ones if they can, since more people want Popular 3rd party characters, and they bring in more money.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Guess I'll just keep posting this every twelve or so hours the subject remains the same.

Iconic is a meaningless qualifier. Either it's applied universally and largely in hindsight to every character we receive, or not every character on the roster is iconic, making it a feature unnecessary for inclusion.

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace

Your second most wanted character becomes playable, but at cost of your most wanted character becoming Mii and coming with your second most wanted.
Would you take it?
Look at that! Another Rex Mii Costume! Oh, and Eggman is playable

Pillow

Smash Lord
If you could add newcomers to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate from any (or every) series, regardless of 'importance' to their series, how many or how few characters are currently included, how many characters are in the game, fan rules, taking up 'slots' from someone else, or how relevant they are..who would you choose?
No judgments, just curious..
So basically a dream roster then?

:ultdk:: Dixie .
:ultwario:: Ashley
:ultsonic::Tails
:ultmegaman:: Zero
:ultshulk:: KOS-MOS
:ultryu:: Chun-Li, M.Bison
:ultcloud:: Black Mage

All I’d want from old series. From new series - Master Chief, Kiryu Kazuma, Lara Croft, Dovahkin, Doomslayer, Quote, 2B, Reimu Hakurei, Jin Mishima, Hatsune Miku, Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, Neku Sakuraba, Jill Valentine, Albert Wesker, Dante, Nightmare, Sekiro, Ori, Sakuna, Adol, Yuri Lowell, Saints Row Playa, shantae

New Bosses: Pyramid Head, GlaDOS, Orstein & Smaug, Deoxys, Wiley, Nemesis, Exdeath, Eggman, Colossus (shadow of colossus), Virgil

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Super odd question but..... why was Poliwhirl so promoted in gen 1?
It's why Poliwhirl is front and cover of Time Magazine, even taking billing over Pikachu.

View attachment 301294

Roses are red,
Grass is green,
Poliwhirl's on the cover,
of Time Magazine
That reminds me back during the heyday of "Pokemania" this is the same long sleeve shirt that I had back in (1999-2000) when I was 6-7 years old.

P6.jpg

I also had a Blastoise one that was exactly the same shirt, But in short sleeves. I was so cool back then.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
1st party characters and 3rd party characters are different beasts in terms of guidelines and reasoning for choosing. 3rd parties Have more standards to live up to, as well as more competetion with other 3rd party characters, compared to First Party

though thinking about it, Perhaps Iconic might not be the thing that's the most important. I think Popularity is Perhaps Much more important than Iconic status, though the terms can go hand in hand

Being Iconic is really relegated to the Image and look of the character, Like I know there were posts about Steve not being Iconic because people don't know his name or backstory or whatever, but they'd be able to tell that Steve is Minecraft, and be able to associated him with Minecraft. so by that logic Steve is Iconic. even people that might mistake Link for Zelda, that still adds to Link's Iconic status because people would associate him with the Zelda franchise, even if they are wrong on his actual character

Bubsy is or was Iconic I would say, but he's not really popular, and as such he'd probably wouldn't be in

Joker may not have been as Iconic to gaming as Bubsy was, but he's much more popular, so he has more merit through that.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I would not say they "didn't care about it." Critical characters like Mario, Yoshi, Link, Samus, and Donkey Kong were in after all.
It's almost like crossovers are more fun when both large and small IPs and characters get included.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
It's almost like crossovers are more fun when both large and small IPs and characters get included.
Yes. I lean slightly more towards iconic, big-name characters, but it is nice that Smash Bros. gives a nod to the more obscure and lesser stars as well. Hehe! Just look at my signature!

Edit: ... Okay, he is not even a star, but I think he would still make for an interesting Donkey Kong represantative after Dixie, Cranky, and Funky.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I care about it more than Sakurai does.

Is that foolish of me?

View attachment 301303
No offense but when it comes to opinions on video games, I'm kinda more inclined to believe the director of a multi-million selling franchise over a random user on online message boards who thinks "because I say so" is a compelling argument.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No offense but when it comes to opinions on video games, I'm kinda more inclined to believe the director of a multi-million selling franchise over a random user on online message boards who thinks "because I say so" is a compelling argument.

Darth really does believe what he says.

But he's also phrasing it this way to get a reaction from people.

And everyone is falling for it.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Oh sure, Smash has sold a lot.

But it'd have sold even MORE if I'd picked all the characters.

But he's also phrasing it this way to get a reaction from people.
The only reaction I desire from people is, "You're right."

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Bruh did you not see how twitter reacted to Sans, Cuphead and Travis?
Right but Cortez ain't going to be so lucky if he becomes a mii costume. I mean I'll take it if it ever happens but no one will bat an eye for him. oh well.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Think Sans getting as a Mii Costume is so in-character for him that with the power of 202...1 hindsight, I'm quite happy he got in Ultimate that way.

I love Undertale, but I prefer someone else for a real rep than Mr.Funny Bone, who is already popular enough as he is.

Plus we got a remix of Megalovania along with his cotume, so it's the best of both world. Now all we need is a stage to get more of that juicy Undertale OST, especially this banger.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Smash fans standard of iconicness is pretty strange, on one hand they called a mid game a decade ago "iconic" only helped by the system they were on and generalized their "appeal/achievement" in a really broad way and called a series that popularized a certain genre and event as "meh". It all circle back to just "if only that game is on a Nintendo console first then we will acknowledge you"

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Guess I'll just keep posting this every twelve or so hours the subject remains the same.

Iconic is a meaningless qualifier. Either it's applied universally and largely in hindsight to every character we receive, or not every character on the roster is iconic, making it a feature unnecessary for inclusion.
And here I was under the assumption that icons stopped having any positive meaning whatsoever in Smash-related discussion ever since Icons: Combat Arena flopped.

Eldrake

Smash Lord

Would you take it?
Edit: Nevermind I misread the post.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Would you take it?
if KOS-MOS/Reimu/Crash is true and there’s no more after this gimme that Elma mii with an included Uncontrollable BGM

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
:ultmario:: Geno, Waluigi (ideally a Wario Rep..but he hasn't been in a Wario game yet..), Vivian, King Boo, Fawful
:ultmario:: Geno, Captain Toad, Waluigi, Fawful
:ultdk:: Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong
:ultlink:: Impa (Age of Calamity), Midna, Skull Kid
:ultkirby:: Bandanna Dee, Dark Matter, Adeleine and Ribbon (as one character, similar to Star Allies)
:ultsamus:: Sylux
:ultfox:: Krystal. Maybe Peppy as well, since the part where he was playable was probably the best part of Star Fox Zero.
:ultpikachu:: Grovyle, Genesect? I'm not familiar with Pokemon beyond the third generation
:ultness:: Porky, Giygas (Earthbound Beginnings)
:ultfalcon:: Deathborn
:ultmarth:: Edelgard
:ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultduckhunt::ultsteve:: I'm honestly not sure if there are any other reasonable options
:ultpit:: Medusa, Hades
:ultwario:: Captain Syrup
:ultolimar:: Plasm Wraith (it would have to be shrunken down, but given that it's a shape-shifting blob, that seems easy enough to do)
:ultsnake:: Raiden, Liquid Snake (as an echo fighter)
:ultsonic:: Tails, Dr. Eggman, & Knuckles
:ultmegaman:: Sigma, Zero
:ultlittlemac:: Mr. Sandman
:ultshulk:: Elma, Fiora, Rex and Pyra
:ultryu:: Akuma, Chun-Li
:ultcloud:: Tifa, Terra, Kefka, Vivi
:ultbayonetta:: Jeanne (as an echo)
:ultinkling:: Octoling (as an echo)
:ultsimon:: Alucard, Soma Cruz
:ultjoker:: Chie (I'm not sure if Shin Megami Tensei exists in the same universe as Persona, but if it does, I'd add Demi-Fiend and see if I could stretch it to include Dante from the Devil May Cry series)
:ulthero3:: Dragon Lord
:ultbanjokazooie:: Gruntilda
:ult_terry:: Geese Howard (or is that too predictable?)
:ultminmin: Dr. Coyle

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
:ultcloud:Tifa
:ultkirby: Bandana Waddle Dee
:ultmario: Toad, Waluigi, Paper Mario
:ultmegaman: Zero, Roll (Echo)
:ultmiifighters:Mii Spellcaster
:ultpikachu:Raichu
:ultryu:Chun-Li
:ultlink:Impa, swap :ulttoonlink: for Toon Ganondorf
:ultshulk:Elma
:ultsnake:Raiden
:ultsonic:Tails
:ult_terry:Geese

Would you take it?
Chun-Li becomes playable with a Sol Badguy costume? I'll take it

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
My problem with the "iconic" argument is that it varies a lot. For example, Terry is not iconic in the U.S, but he is in certain countries like Latin America. Touhou is iconic in Japan, but not in most countries. Doom is iconic in the West but that's not the same case in Japan. Heck, how are we even measuring iconicness?

While I do think being, let's put it this way, recognizable in at least a couple countries helps, it does get a bit scattered and confusing when it comes to arguing who is "iconic". My point is that while I do put some stock into "iconicness" as it definitely helps out characters, it is definitely not the end all, be all of character selection (and I should not need to bring up what the man himself said).

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
:ultmario:: Pauline, Waluigi
:ultdk:: Dixie Kong, Funky Kong
:ultlink:: Impa, Groose
:ultkirby:: Bandanna Waddle Dee
:ultpikachu:: Cinderace, Victini, Eevee
:ultmarth:: Lyn
:ultpit:: Hades
:ultwario:: Ashley, Mona, Jimmy T (I love the Wario cast so much)
:ultolimar:: Alph (Upgraded to Echo)
:ultsonic:: Dr. Eggman
:ultmegaman:: Zero
:ultlittlemac:: Glass Joe
:ultshulk:: Elma
:ultryu:: Chun-Li
:ultcloud:: Terra
:ultinkling:: Octoling
:ultjoker:: Yu
:ult_terry:: Nakoruru
:ultminmin: Ninjara, Spring Man

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Mario: Pauline
DK: Dixie
Kirby: Bandana Dee, Adeline, Susie
Star Fox: Leon Powalski
Zelda: Impa (AoC)
Pokemon: Calyrex
EarthBound: Kumatora
F-Zero: Black Shadow
FE: Celica, Tsubasa or Itsuki
KI: Medusa
Wario: Mona
Punch Out: Disco Kid
Metal Gear: Raiden
Sonic: Eggman or Tails
FF: Tifa, Terra, Lightning Cecil with a Dark Knight-Paladin swap mechanic a la Dissidia
Xenoblade: Elma, Mecha-Fiora, Lora and Jin
Splatoon: Octoling
Fatal Fury: Mai if they can use the Honor of Kings design
Pikmin: Brittany
ARMS: Dr. Coyle

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I don't think iconicness is as important as marketability for DLC tbh. I've mentioned before in Sol Badguy's defense that he's in a good position because he's super marketable what with a new game coming out get people's eyes in it. I think that's what's important for DLC and so far every DLC has gotten fans' eyes on different franchises with new games coming out or games they can buy right now. The only exception to that is Banjo who was probably put due ro fan requests.

I think Simon is a good example of an iconic character that was made for Smash's launch version. Castlevania is one of the big NES classics but it's not getting any new games (an awesome Netflix series though) because Konami just likes to not make games anymore :(

Terry is definitely iconic even if it's just to one of many demographics but aside from that, tbere are tons of Fatal Fury and KoF games on Switch someone can pick up if they're curious about it and it gets people interested in KoF and wouldn't you know it, 15 is set to release this year. (Also SNK is probably super willing to get any word of mouth because they have a track record of going bankrupt.)

As for the argument of what it means to be iconic, it's not as strong as an argument for a character as I think it is strictly speaking for DLC but I think that as long as there is a large enough demographic that you can say the character and game defines its gaming scene, I would call that iconic.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
:ultmario: : Waluigi
:ultdk: :: Dixie Kong.
:ultzelda:: Ganon. Biggest Character with Ludicrous Range and Speed, even worse in the air than Mac.
:ultyoshi: : Kamek I guess why is Yoshi still a seperate series from Mario lol.
:ultkirby: :: Bandana Waddle Dee, Modern Kirby, or Qbby if we're counting BoxBoy.
:ultfox: : Krystal (Give her a Spacesuit on top of the Adventures look yes I have a type.)
:ultpikachu: : P R I M A R I N A !
:ultness: : Giygas
:ultfalcon: : Bio Rex would unironically be the best choice. Ryu Suzaku would be hilarious as well.
:ultmarth: : Lyn, Edelgard, or Some other Villain ANY VILLAIN!
:ultgnw: :I'm going into the Super Nintendo here so Lip.
:ultpit: :: Hades
:ultwario:: Captain Syrup.
:ultsnake: : Psycho Mantis.
:ultsonic: : Toei Sonic.
:ultolimar: : Unironically Brittney yes I have a type lol.
:ultmegaman: : Tron Bonne, more specifically a Low Poly Tron Bonne because visually Mega Man Legends aged like Fine Wine.
:ultmiifighters:: Just counting every Wii Series Game under this Category so Matt, from Wii Sports.
:ultlittlemac:: Bald Bull has been in more games than Mac. Either That or adding a Little Mac with an Air Game lol.
:ultpacman: : He represents the entirety of NAMCO in Smash so Heihachi
:ultshulk: : Either Melia or Elma
:ultryu: : Chun-Li or Ruby Heart if we're bringing in other Capcom Fighting Games
:ultcloud: : Terra, Kefka, or Black Mage. Just SOMEONE not from FFVII
:ultbayonetta: :: Jeanne
:ultinkling: : Octolings
:ultsimon: : Shanoa, Soma, Alucard
:ultjoker: :I'm counting both Persona and SMT as one so Demi-Fiend.
:ulthero3:: Slime or a Priest
:ultbanjokazooie: : I'm counting Banjo and Kazooie as the Entirety of Rare, so either Conker, Joana Dark, or Black Orchid.
:ult_terry:: Geese Howard.
:ultminmin : Twintelle, Master Mummy.
:ultsteve: :2b2t Steve, Enderman, Creeper, Jesse, seriously there's a surprising amount of options for a Second Minecraft Character

I believe that's every series in Smash and this took over an hour to type soooooooo..............................................

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
With third party fighters in Smash I think most can generally be sorted into three categories with acknowledgement that many have overlap between them:

-Notable Nintendo History - Mega Man, Simon/Richter, Banjo-Kazooie
-Significant to Video Games and/or Their Genre - Ryu/Ken, Hero, Pac-Man, Sonic, Snake, Cloud, Sephiroth, Terry, Steve
-Contemporary Popular Hits - Joker, Bayonetta, Steve (again).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
oh that also reminds me

add one additional rep to each third party already represented.

mine (italics are my additions):
Konami: Snake, Simon, Richter, Raiden
Sega: Sonic, Bayonetta, Joker, Arle
Capcom: Mega Man, Ryu, Ken, Phoenix
Bandai Namco: PAC-MAN, KOS-MOS
Square Enix: Cloud, Hero, Sephiroth, Neku
SNK: Terry, Mai (albeit censored)
Microsoft: Banjo, Steve, Ori

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

Would you take it?
Rex is already a Mii costume (maybe his Master Driver outfit could be added for Miis?) so I'd happily take Shantae.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord

Would you take it?
Umm......... What if all of your Most Wanted are tied?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom