• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
You mean...not being able to be considered important in November of 2019?
True, but then again you know you're being made a priority when you also got a Movie of Source Material to pull from, more than literally every other Gen 8 Pokemon, including Cinderace, COMBINED!
It seems you're kinda stroming your ego with Zarude simply because it has a movie, but Mewtwo's literally the only movie Legendary on the roster.

Just because you have a movie doesn't mean you get priority over 81 other Pokémon.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
True, but then again you know you're being made a priority when you also got a Movie of Source Material to pull from, more than literally every other Gen 8 Pokemon, including Cinderace, COMBINED!
Eh, characters don't typically pull anything from TV or movie content. I could be wrong on this, but I believe even Sephiroth doesn't have all that many attacks pulled straight from Advent Children. I think the most the movie will do is give a visualization on how it's signature move would look.

You mean...not being able to be considered important in November of 2019?
That doesn't make it artificial, just irrelevant.

D

Deleted member

Personally I'd love a Gen 8 pokemon rep, but I'm under the impression that we're done with Pokemon. I don't think we're getting another; I think Sakurai is focusing on other properties.

Plus, I'm pretty sure I remember one of the interviews with Sakurai had him remark that the DLC will be all new rep (Sephiroth breaks that rule it seems, but most sources claim the only reason we got Cloud back was that Square bargained to get Sephiroth in as well).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It seems you're kinda stroming your ego with Zarude simply because it has a movie, but Mewtwo's literally the only movie Legendary on the roster.

Just because you have a movie doesn't mean you get priority over 81 other Pokémon.
Well, that is correct, but it's worth mentioning that Lucario also had a movie, and Greninja was a super major player in the anime. It does mean that they're giving the Pokémon more attention, but I'd agree that it doesn't make them a lock.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
You know what's funny, if Gen 8 doesn't get a fighter this game, it's possible it might end up like 3 and 5 without one either due to poor timing and Smash being reserved only for the most recent Pokemon. By the time Smash 6 comes out I imagine we'll be on 9 or even 10 if GF really gets rushing on game production. I'm going to hope in advance that I actually like the Gen 9 designs for whoever would be likely for Smash because if that's the case, I call that a W.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well, that is correct, but it's worth mentioning that Lucario also had a movie, and Greninja was a super major player in the anime. It does mean that they're giving the Pokémon more attention, but I'd agree that it doesn't make them a lock.
Yeah but Zarude's movie is the newest of the newest of the new so it HAS to be in. Look at how we got Melmetal over any of the Alola starters.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah but Zarude's movie is the newest of the newest of the new so it HAS to be in. Look at how we got Melmetal over any of the Alola starters.
Meltan had a movie?

Anyway, I'd imagine Meltan and Melmetal didn't exist when roster selections were being made since all of the stuff regarding it happened after Super Smash Bros. Ultimate came out.

SKX31

Smash Master
putting aside the furry bait stuff, I like Cinderace’s soccer theming the most out of all the starters(with Intelon’s sniper theme being a close second) so I think it would be a pretty cool addition
Yeah, I've started calling Cinderace "Discount FIFA rep" and Inteleon "Discount James Bond" as compliments (not often discount as a term is used as a positive). Those two IPs are almost assuredly not on the table for good reasons, so really, I'll take what I can get. While FIFA or PES could be interesting options hypotheoretically, they would not come without controversy - especially EA's handling of FIFA (or its other sports franchises). James Bond to me feels like his best shot was 64 or Melee, possibly before Sakurai had fully solidified the view of "no 4th parties".

Then again, Baboom is Baboom. So I'll gladly accept the drummer too.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Plus, I'm pretty sure I remember one of the interviews with Sakurai had him remark that the DLC will be all new rep (Sephiroth breaks that rule it seems, but most sources claim the only reason we got Cloud back was that Square bargained to get Sephiroth in as well).
All Sakurai said was that he wanted to bring new worlds into Smash, which doesn’t mean much as any character added would qualify as that in his eyes.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
again, having a movie doesn't make him special.
Then why did Lucario get prioritized then?
Eh, characters don't typically pull anything from TV or movie content. I could be wrong on this, but I believe even Sephiroth doesn't have all that many attacks pulled straight from Advent Children. I think the most the movie will do is give a visualization on how it's signature move would look.

That doesn't make it artificial, just irrelevant.
Ash Greninja, also got into Sword and Shield First.
I think it's a matter of priorities. All I'm saying is that Zarude is in a good position. Also, taking about Zarude is WAYYY less monotonous than calling the Starters Inevitable for the Billionth Time.

Staarih

Smash Master
Melmetal would be such a fun addition in Smash tbh, such a quirky design. It would also represent Pokemon GO, arguably one of the biggest things for Pokemon and mobile gaming in general, which is still on-going. But I guess that ship has sailed.
Kinda funny how little of Nintendo's mobile ventures are represented in Smash in general.

I'm personally rooting for a new Pokemon, it's one of the first party IP's I have most personal attachment to. But it's certainly not a given we'll get one in FP2.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Because the movie wasn't the only thing that resembled promotion for it.
And by time Zarude were to have gotten in, Zarude would probably have similar promotion to Lucario. Not only that, but Zarude seems like the type of new Mon to also get a Major Role in Gen 4 Remakes if they were to ever happen.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Then why did Lucario get prioritized then?
lucario is the gen 4 poster boy, there are tons of pokemon who get movies, like zoroark or like almost every other legendary and mythical

there are 22 pokemon movies and all of them are about at least one pokemon, besides mewtwo and lucario none of them are in smash

he could still happen, but having a movie doesn't make him special

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
lucario is the gen 4 poster boy, there are tons of pokemon who get movies, like zoroark or like almost every other legendary and mythical

there are 22 pokemon movies and all of them are about at least one pokemon, besides mewtwo and lucario none of them are in smash

he could still happen, but having a movie doesn't make him special
Still more fun to talk about then The Starters.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't know about that; a new Pokemon character seems inevitable for any Smash game's base roster, but we didn't get any new Pokemon in Smash 4's DLC (seeing as Mewtwo was a veteran), or in Fighters Pass 1 (even though they easily could have added a Sword and Shield Pokemon, since it came out while FP1 was being released - it was late into FP1, but that didn't stop them from adding Byleth). It could happen, but it's not guaranteed.

Also, if you're referencing Avengers Endgame with the use of inevitable, it seems like an odd choice considering that Thanos dies almost immediately after both of the times that he says the phrase "I am inevitable", so it didn't really work out the way that he hoped.
"No, I really am inevitable." Cinderace insists, seconds before experiencing spontaneous lagomorph combustion

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Oh, I coulda sworn Lucario was Psychic/Steel. Ah well, there goes that joke. Yes, Machamp is the four arms dude.
I guess aura is typically a thing that psychics deal with...If you want to remember what type Lucario is, then I guess you could just remember that all he does with aura in the games is use it to shoot balls at you. All of the aura reading stuff has no mechanics behind it.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as Nintendo news I have to say was wrong about us being in a new reveal cycle. I thought with the Bowser's Fury showcase and New Pokémon Snap two weeks ago that we were kicking off a period similar to the one we had late last summer. But with the only moderately notable news in the last 14 days being Animal Crossing DLC, I can admit that assumption was incorrect. I'm guessing that the Mario 3D World news was just to get talk about it out well ahead of the game's release date and NPS was Game Freak wanting to get attention on it before they do their own Pokémon Presents soon.

On the plus side this might mean February through March could get some pretty consistent bits of news, likely with a Sakurai presents in the latter.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
And by time Zarude were to have gotten in, Zarude would probably have similar promotion to Lucario. Not only that, but Zarude seems like the type of new Mon to also get a Major Role in Gen 4 Remakes if they were to ever happen.
Just because you can't dare to think any Nintendo character that debuted before 2020 could get in doesn't mean Game Freak is going to push Zarude even more. It's too late for it to get the equivalent of several early cameos, a baby in the same gen it debuted, and getting that baby for free after completing a sidequest.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Just because you can't dare to think any Nintendo character that debuted before 2020 could get in doesn't mean Game Freak is going to push Zarude even more. It's too late for it to get the equivalent of several early cameos, a baby in the same gen it debuted, and getting that baby for free after completing a sidequest.
Yeah. Especially considering that Zarude is a Mythical, meaning that most Pokemon players won't even be able to use it.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
$50 Bet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom