• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
One thing Zarude has over Rillaboom is that Zarude is a good father and his music would be composed by Hiroyuki Sawano.

I firmly believe we are not getting a SwSh Pokemon in Smash, but if we were, I think we could do worse than a big funny monkey.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I think Zarude is in a really good position to be our 2020/2021 Character, considering everything going for him. Also, Zarude is best dad don't @ me.

Firox

Smash Master
I could be totally wrong, but didn't Sakurai specifically say something in Famitsu or something about there not being any new Pokemon in the DLC? I could have sworn I saw something on it but I can't remember.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I could be totally wrong, but didn't Sakurai specifically say something in Famitsu or something about there not being any new Pokemon in the DLC? I could have sworn I saw something on it but I can't remember.
I don't recall Sakurai ever stating Pokémon would not be DLC via Famitsu.

I do recall him mentioning how a spot was reserved for a Pokémon in the base roster planning stages, which went to Incineroar.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
IF we're getting a Pokemon, I'm honestly gonna be the guy that says that it would probably be something tying into New Pokemon Snap, technically speaking. Pokemon SwSh had its chance until it got Spirit Evented... New Pokemon Snap is not only an upcoming game that is the long awaited sequel to a beloved title, it's also one that is being made by Bandai Namco.

They COULD have a new Pokemon character without it being tied to Sword and Shield specifically... a way to have their cake and eat it too. It would just come with a New Pokemon Snap stage rather than a Wild Area one.

And that also leaves a rare window of freedom so to speak. If it were meant to represent New Pokemon Snap, then it doesn't really have to be a Galar Pokemon SPECIFICALLY, it can be an older one too

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Tfw Calyrex gets no respect :c

one day you will all welcome your big brain alien reindeer overlord

Otoad64

Smash Lord
IF we're getting a Pokemon, I'm honestly gonna be the guy that says that it would probably be something tying into New Pokemon Snap, technically speaking. Pokemon SwSh had its chance until it got Spirit Evented... New Pokemon Snap is not only an upcoming game that is the long awaited sequel to a beloved title, it's also one that is being made by Bandai Namco.

They COULD have a new Pokemon character without it being tied to Sword and Shield specifically... a way to have their cake and eat it too. It would just come with a New Pokemon Snap stage rather than a Wild Area one.

And that also leaves a rare window of freedom so to speak. If it were meant to represent New Pokemon Snap, then it doesn't really have to be a Galar Pokemon SPECIFICALLY, it can be an older one too
I mean, are there even new pokemon in that game? who would thay even do? meganium because they're on the cover maybe...

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Except they've never promoted a spinoff in Smash.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Second time you've said that without actually elaborating. What exactly is going for him?
Entire Movie of Source Material, being a Mythical (which tend to get marketed like crazy), unique take on the Super Heavy, Pokemon Priority, being deemed important enough to get a Movie, ease of bringing in Music from every Pokemon Entry, unique design and silhouette, being the most ideal 2020/2021 Character to add, etc etc.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Entire Movie of Source Material, being a Mythical (which tend to get marketed like crazy), unique take on the Super Heavy, Pokemon Priority, being deemed important enough to get a Movie, ease of bringing in Music from every Pokemon Entry, unique design and silhouette, being the most ideal 2020/2021 Character to add, etc etc.
I don't think that they would promote Sword and Shield with a Pokemon that most people can't even use.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Tfw Calyrex gets no respect :c

one day you will all welcome your big brain alien reindeer overlord

Calyrex with TWO Final Smashes depending on whatever, either Ice Rider or Shadow Rider.

Or of course.... Slowpoke with a Super Armor gimmick of sorts :)

Certainly wouldn't be mad about Dragapult shooting Dreepy all over

I know people get all uppity about another Pokemon but like... so many of them are so fun, maaaaaaaan

They haven't BEFORE... and they still might not, I'm just spitballin the possibilities here.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I get most of these but "being deemed important enough to get a Movie" isn't a good reason, the majority of legendaries and mythicals get movies but lugia and victini aren't in the game.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I don't think that they would promote Sword and Shield with a Pokemon that most people can't even use.
But Nintendo and The Pokemon Company would, as they have several times in the past (Literally ANY Event Pokemon, Spiky Eared Pichu can't even be transferred over to newer entries even before Gen 8, Ash Greninja requires a Sun and Moon Demo to be played, Pikachu was one of the Rarest Pokemon in Gen 1, etc etc)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
But Nintendo and The Pokemon Company would, as they have several times in the past (Literally ANY Event Pokemon, Spiky Eared Pichu can't even be transferred over to newer entries even before Gen 8, Ash Greninja requires a Sun and Moon Demo to be played, Pikachu was one of the Rarest Pokemon in Gen 1, etc etc)
Except why would they do that when they have a whole bunch of other Gen 8 Pokemon that people could actually use and even a Gen 4 Pokemon to promote hypothetical remakes?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
And in fact, most of these examples are either alts or a Final Smash cameo. Not comparable to a full fledged playable character.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Except why would they do that when they have a whole bunch of other Gen 8 Pokemon that people could actually use and even a Gen 4 Pokemon to promote hypothetical remakes?
They've never promoted Remakes as the New Characters in the Past, otherwise we would've gotten a Gen 3 Pokemon among Smash 4's DLC, Gen 8 Starters are difficult, Toxtricity and Dragapult were given artificial importance by Fans, Urshifu doesn't have an entire movie to pull from on top of being DLC. Zacian and New Snap are the only other Gen 8 options that are all that likely. Also, again, the literal Series Mascot was one of the Rarest Pokemon in his Debut Generation!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
And again, that doesn't mean that they can't or won't. That being said though, I can't see Pokémon Snap getting a character since the only new character is a human with a camera. I feel like if they ever did add a spin-off Pokémon it'd be something from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon or something along those lines.

That's a good point. Though...I wonder if they could remedy that by having some sort of functionality with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Like, if it detects the Zarude DLC, you get a Mystery Gift in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield.

I'm not sure they'd do something like that though. Iirc, Mythical Pokémon only have one method of distribution until they start upchucking all the ones from the previous generations, so if they were planning on doing that they'd probably hold off on distributing the Pokémon until they get added.

Those aren't really the same thing. Being difficult to find isn't the same thing as being completely unobtainable, and Pokémon Yellow was a thing, though it did only come out a year before Super Smash Bros. Ash Greninja is just the Final Smash, and while yes that means the Greninja is an event Greninja, you can still get normal Greninja quite easily in the current generation when it was added to Super Smash Bros. Spiky Eared Pichu is just a costume, and you can get normal Pichu no problem.

They've never straight up added an event Pokémon as the base. It's always just as cute nods in alternate costumes and Final Smashes.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Run from it. Dread from it.

A Pokemon rep is inevitable.
I don't know about that; a new Pokemon character seems inevitable for any Smash game's base roster, but we didn't get any new Pokemon in Smash 4's DLC (seeing as Mewtwo was a veteran), or in Fighters Pass 1 (even though they easily could have added a Sword and Shield Pokemon, since it came out while FP1 was being released - it was late into FP1, but that didn't stop them from adding Byleth). It could happen, but it's not guaranteed.

Also, if you're referencing Avengers Endgame with the use of inevitable, it seems like an odd choice considering that Thanos dies almost immediately after both of the times that he says the phrase "I am inevitable", so it didn't really work out the way that he hoped.

EDIT: Sorry if my response was overly snarky, mocking, or taking a joking reference to Thanos too seriously. I've just seen way too many people act like a certain character is absolutely guaranteed, even when other characters are dismissed for being in the same position. (for example, "Fighters Pass 2 comes with Ancient Soldier Gear from the Legend of Zelda, so that means we won't be getting any Zelda characters as DLC! Also, here's why Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is guaranteed to be playable in Ultimate's DLC." I don't think I've seen anyone literally say that, but it's usually along those lines where some assist trophies or Mii costumes are absolute proof that a character won't make it in, while others could still be playable despite having an assist trophy or Mii costume)

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
And again, that doesn't mean that they can't or won't. That being said though, I can't see Pokémon Snap getting a character since the only new character is a human with a camera. I feel like if they ever did add a spin-off Pokémon it'd be something from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon or something along those lines.

That's a good point. Though...I wonder if they could remedy that by having some sort of functionality with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Like, if it detects the Zarude DLC, you get a Mystery Gift in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield.

I'm not sure they'd do something like that though. Iirc, Mythical Pokémon only have one method of distribution until they start upchucking all the ones from the previous generations, so if they were planning on doing that they'd probably hold off on distributing the Pokémon until they get added.

Those aren't really the same thing. Being difficult to find isn't the same thing as being completely unobtainable, and Pokémon Yellow was a thing, though it did only come out a year before Super Smash Bros. Ash Greninja is just the Final Smash, and while yes that means the Greninja is an event Greninja, you can still get normal Greninja quite easily in the current generation when it was added to Super Smash Bros. Spiky Eared Pichu is just a costume, and you can get normal Pichu no problem.

They've never straight up added an event Pokémon as the base. It's always just as cute nods in alternate costumes and Final Smashes.
True, but then again you know you're being made a priority when you also got a Movie of Source Material to pull from, more than literally every other Gen 8 Pokemon, including Cinderace, COMBINED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom