• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

latsmash

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5085-9089-2026
A SINGLE OVERWATCH CHARACTER IS BORING. MAKE A POKEMON TRAINER TYPE CHARACTER WITH TRACER/REINHARDT/LUCIO, PERFECT.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I’ll be real, I’m generally very positive towards all of the changes made in Ultimate, but the term echo still bothers me. I understand what they’re going for and it seems like it was well recieved, but the vague definition really irks me.
Personally, I think their definition of it should be expanded. Any obvious clone character should be labeled an Echo. And if they don't want a character to BE an Echo, they should fully declone them.

Dr. Mario and Pichu? Make them Echoes. Ganondorf, Falco, Wolf, Young Link, Toon Link and Lucas? Finish decloning them(give Falco and Wolf the Sniper Rifle and Machine Gun from Assault instead of the pistol, give the Links different subweapons, etc.). Give Chrom a unique moveset, make Lucina his Echo, then let Roy be Marth's Echo, so at least we'd have 2 Marths and 2 Chroms instead of 4 Marths.

A SINGLE OVERWATCH CHARACTER IS BORING. MAKE A POKEMON TRAINER TYPE CHARACTER WITH TRACER/REINHARDT/LUCIO, PERFECT.
Or maybe instead of wasting 3 character's worth of development making 1 character, they add 2 other characters instead.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Doesn't really capture the essence of the game, I mean yeah you could change your character but that's the least important thing about Overwatch which is teamwork not being a one man/women army.

Pretty much the only character that I could kinda see switching between 2 different character is probably from a monster capturing game or a game with a main emphasis on single player game with a co-op mechanic.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I think the reason why Dr. Mario, Pichu etc are not classified as Echoes is because their attributes go beyond just moveset changes (they have different weights etc), unlike the Echoes we have now who are merely the same skeletons with some potential moveset changes. And, well, seeing how reluctant Sakurai has been in changing Ganondorf's moveset not to alienate players used to him, some "Melee legacy" may also play a part: they've been designed as separate characters from the get go and will likely just remain as such.

If Dr. Mario was added today he'd likely be an Echo. Or rather, he'd likely not make it at all haha.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
I like that this is the only instance that everyone would be happy spending another buck on a character that they already promised to get a better chance next time as they are now a cosmetic. Everyone is pretty much happy to get bamboozled at this point.

ahem*Rex*ahem
I'd argue Rex doesn't really count. The Rex costume was not only kinda base game, but it was a free bonus for getting the full Fighters Pass 1. How many people would specifically spend $20 on five characters SPECIFICALLY because they wanted one Mii costume?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Considering his reasons for not including Ayumi had nothing to do with time constraints I'm fairly certain she wouldn't have made it even if Melee wasn't rushed
I mean...if i were at least a guy on Sakurai's dev team, I'd try to encourage a playstyle that stays faithful to Ayumi's character. Something like an "accidental/apologetic" fighter.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Quick research: does anyone here wants a Overwatch character in smash?
Not me, Because chances are that it's probably gonna cost Crash Bandicoot not making the Smash roster.

Not that both or either can't happen because at the end of the day it all comes down to business, But out of all of Activision's roster of potential Smash candidates, Crash Bandicoot has the legacy, seniority and is seen as the most obvious choice and just makes the most sense for a type of game like Super Smash Bros.

I personally have no interest or history on Blizzard's gaming division as it is more PC oriented and I am a console gamer, Plus their type of games just don't interest me or are my cup of tea, Hell I barely have any sort of interest on Activision's portfolio and the only reason I even pay attention to them is because they own both Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon IP's.

Last edited:

JustPlainDan

Smash Apprentice
Taking a whack at the tweet linked by Perkilator:

1. Dr Eggman
2. Grovyle
3. Paper Mario
4. Arle
5. Bandanna Waddle Dee
6. Leon Kennedy

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yink and Pichu couldn't fit the echo umbrella because of their different body shapes, which is the only unifying factor across every echo, and probably why Isabelle wasn't one. Which only begs the question as to why Doc wasn't an echo. Or better yet, a costume.
It's not a "probably". It's two of the reasons Isabelle isn't one. Fundamentally different bodyshape and her personality called for bigger changes. https://sourcegaming.info/2018/09/26/sakurai-discusses-isabelle-echoes-and-newcomers/

Dr. Mario started off as a clone label to begin with, but yeah, there's both cause he's from Melee like the other 5 clones and also cause he has far more changes than Ken in terms of overall stats. He easily could be one, if they wanted to. He at least fit the actual only clear rule. And he's the only one from Melee who is actually the same bodyshape as their counterpart.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
- I hope we get at least one Substantial Single Player Mode, like WOL Expansion, Smash Run, or even just Boss Rush. DLC Characters are cool, but Adding more modes increases the value of not just the game, but of the DLC Characters as well

-I think we might get a Final Smash Broadcast in June, where we might get our Final 2 Newcomers. June is also the 3rd anniversary of the Official reveal of Smash Ultimate (March would be the 3rd anniversary of the teaser)
I think we will get a First Party Newcomer in March, Ryu Hayabusa in June (I am stupid confident that Hayabusa is in), and whoever the 2021 Character is in December, in order to give enough time to play INSERT GAME HERE before they get revealed. Now, I do think we will be getting something else aside from the Final Three Fighters for Smash. So fun fact, the only reveal trailer to have more than just the character revealed to be Third Party is Sephiroth. I think there could be a DLC Story added as a Bonus of owning all the DLC. That and, hopefully, Zelda and Bayonetta getting new appearances based off of Bayonetta 3 and BotW2 respectively, similar to Advent Cloud’s Final Smash. Though that is just wishful thinking, but considering Cloud got a New Final Smash just for Advent Children, I do think there’s going to be something else from Base Game Altered. I definitely think that we’re probably getting Gen 8 Pokéball’s in between Hayabusa and the 2021 Character. So I think we could see a DLC Story, hopefully some updated Costume for certain characters (most likely just Bayonetta if any considering Kamiya’s Recent Comments), and some New Pokéball Pokémon. Sorry about the Wall of text, just had to get that off of my chest.

D

Deleted member

I think we will get a First Party Newcomer in March, Ryu Hayabusa in June (I am stupid confident that Hayabusa is in), and whoever the 2021 Character is in December, in order to give enough time to play INSERT GAME HERE before they get revealed. Now, I do think we will be getting something else aside from the Final Three Fighters for Smash. So fun fact, the only reveal trailer to have more than just the character revealed to be Third Party is Sephiroth. I think there could be a DLC Story added as a Bonus of owning all the DLC. That and, hopefully, Zelda and Bayonetta getting new appearances based off of Bayonetta 3 and BotW2 respectively, similar to Advent Cloud’s Final Smash. Though that is just wishful thinking, but considering Cloud got a New Final Smash just for Advent Children, I do think there’s going to be something else from Base Game Altered. I definitely think that we’re probably getting Gen 8 Pokéball’s in between Hayabusa and the 2021 Character. So I think we could see a DLC Story, hopefully some updated Costume for certain characters (most likely just Bayonetta if any considering Kamiya’s Recent Comments), and some New Pokéball Pokémon. Sorry about the Wall of text, just had to get that off of my chest.
New DLC story, New Modes, New Pokeballs, New Costumes, AND new characters?

Dude, I think you need to tone down your expectations. This is a DLC Fighters' Pass not a full on Expansion Pack.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I mean...if i were at least a guy on Sakurai's dev team, I'd try to encourage a playstyle that stays faithful to Ayumi's character. Something like an "accidental/apologetic" fighter.
But that wasn't Ayumi's issue either, it was a lack of worldwide familiarity and unlike Marth, she didn't have the fan demand to make an exclusive character.

Also sidenote, I just realized that if Melee had more time in the oven, we'd have Wario and either Dedede or Snake. Imagining Snake in Melee is insane to me

SNEKeater

Smash Master
SNK vs. Capcom: The Match of the Millennium rated for Switch in Korea - Gematsu

Very cool. But what version of SNK vs Capcom is this?
It's the handheld one. Haven't played it but I always saw people saying it's good.

But it's cool because it would mean Capcom is playing ball with SNK again, so maybe we could see rereleases for the other crossover games like Capcom vs SNK 2 which is the most popular one.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Quick research: does anyone here wants a Overwatch character in smash?
Definetely would like that - that said, I'm not sure who I'd personally pick:

* Tracer could be an interesting take on how lightweight gunplay might work - whenever she comes up in discussion, Pulse Bomb is ignored though. Dunno why that is.

* Winston could provide an interesting evolution to and slight contrast to :ultdk: , where Winston relies more on horizontal leaps and electric weaponry alongside fisticuffs, at the expense of raw power.

It's one of those two IMHO since they're the poster-children and are central to Overwatch's setting. Then again, I'm happy with any Blizzard choice (been a fan of their games since '98) and cool with any Activision choice, so who it turns out to be is not that important for me.

Yink and Pichu couldn't fit the echo umbrella because of their different body shapes, which is the only unifying factor across every echo, and probably why Isabelle wasn't one. Which only begs the question as to why Doc wasn't an echo. Or better yet, a costume.
Sakurai's answer is probably that his original intent with Doc is "Slower but stronger Mario" (see his Melee trophies) and because he gave Doc the best back throw animation in the game (and I'm standing firm on that opinion). Doc to me is in a weird place where the character didn't turn out exactly as intended, because Doc's playstyle doesn't entirely mesh with the "slower but stronger" ideal. But there are some reasons to play him over Mario - he has a different gameplan, for one. Most of those reasons are not really clear to a more casual eye TBF (we're talking stuff like how pills bounce at a higher angle than fireballs and the launch angles of his attacks differing from Mario's,).

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't expect a new 2021 character, mostly because the plans were done in 2019 and I believe that Nintendo's 2021 slate will be mostly made up of remasters, ports, and remakes. I also don't think that BOTW2 is getting a character, and a character from a new franchise is unlikely because said franchise could be a flop and Nintendo can't see the future.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
New DLC story, New Modes, New Pokeballs, New Costumes, AND new characters?

Dude, I think you need to tone down your expectations. This is a DLC Fighters' Pass not a full on Expansion Pack.
I'm not expecting all this, because I'm not an idiot, I'm just saying all potential possibilities I could see happening instead of Shotgunning Crash for the Billionth Time. I do think after Advent Cloud we're definitely getting Gen 8 Pokeballs. It's happened every time a New Smash Game has happened, which adds more content from the current Generation of Pokemon. It's happened every time a new Generation of Pokemon was in progress, and I do think we're getting something else besides the Fighters. Probably not something too big (unless it's a DLC Story blame Sephiroth), but I'm very confident in more Pokeballs. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but after Advent Cloud I'm confident we're getting another Base Game Alteration.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm not expecting all this, because I'm not an idiot, I'm just saying all potential possibilities I could see happening instead of Shotgunning Crash for the Billionth Time. I do think after Advent Cloud we're definitely getting Gen 8 Pokeballs. It's happened every time a New Smash Game has happened, which adds more content from the current Generation of Pokemon. It's happened every time a new Generation of Pokemon was in progress, and I do think we're getting something else besides the Fighters. Probably not something too big (unless it's a DLC Story blame Sephiroth), but I'm very confident in more Pokeballs. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but after Advent Cloud I'm confident we're getting another Base Game Alteration.
They've never added DLC ATs, so I don't expect any DLC Poke Ball Pokemon.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Honestly I could probably see a DLC spirit event featuring both Urshifu forms and Calyrex. Would probably make sense to do something like that since it's an expansion to the game and it's just some extra clout for the DLC.
While they’re at it, mini-ARMS spirit event with Lola Pop, Misango, Springtron (Spring Man AT appears in that battle unlike with the Spring Man spirit battle) and Dr. Coyle

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Just because it hasn't happened before doesn't mean it never will.

Not saying it absolutely is a guarantee to happen, just that having an open mind is probably the best way to tackle speculation.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Just because it hasn't happened before doesn't mean it never will.

Not saying it absolutely is a guarantee to happen, just that having an open mind is probably the best way to tackle speculation.
Well, it would open the doors to DLC Assist Trophies and that would be a disaster for speculation.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Honestly I could probably see a DLC spirit event featuring both Urshifu forms and Calyrex. Would probably make sense to do something like that since it's an expansion to the game and it's just some extra clout for the DLC.
"Okay, Sword and Shield got two spirit events, but neither had Cinderace so it's still a lock!"
"Okay, we got Eevee as a newcomer, but Pokemon is big enough for two challenger packs!"
"Okay, Sakurai literally said there will be no more Ultimate newcomers, but Game Freak HAS to force him to make a Gen 8 Pokemon as DLC!"

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
But that wasn't Ayumi's issue either, it was a lack of worldwide familiarity and unlike Marth, she didn't have the fan demand to make an exclusive character.

Also sidenote, I just realized that if Melee had more time in the oven, we'd have Wario and either Dedede or Snake. Imagining Snake in Melee is insane to me
We'd also have Sonic. Both him and Snake were denied for "not enough time".

But who knows what priority would be among those 4. Maybe the third parties, maybe not.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Because Assist Trophies would require entirely new legality, considering Third Parties want Money for an Assist Trophy based off of their IP being added to the Base Game for free, which would ruffle a ton of feathers with all of the Third Parties besides maybe SNK. So, from Nintendo and Sakurai's Perspective, there's no point in adding new Assist Trophies, because that would just screw up Company Relations. Adding New Pokeballs doesn't have that issue because Pokemon is, say it with me now, A FIRST PARTY! Also, back in Smash 4 Gen 7 wasn't a thing until after DLC Wrapped Up, as it was announced after Smash 4 was done, but if it came out earlier, I would've said the same thing about Smash 4 adding additional Gen 7 Pokemon to the Pokeballs. Not only that, but they would be easier to implement, not only because Pokeballs don't have Hurtboxes, but because they're easier to implement because they're not even that complicated, only one move, no way to get hurt, and a simple path? Yeah that's WAYYY easier to implement than an additional Zero or Alucard, especially if Third Party. Not only that, but NAMCO is also developing New Pokemon Snap, meaning that they already have plenty of Gen 8 Models ready to go. Thus making Pokeballs even easier to implement than New Assist Trophies on TOP of Promotional Value, and representing a New World! With less Legal Trouble or development trouble, they don't even need to model some of them, yeah, I think 5 more Pokeballs added in between June and December would be more reasonable than 5 Third Party Assist Trophies. Obliteration Rant, OVER!

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
"Okay, Sword and Shield got two spirit events, but neither had Cinderace so it's still a lock!"
"Okay, we got Eevee as a newcomer, but Pokemon is big enough for two challenger packs!"
"Okay, Sakurai literally said there will be no more Ultimate newcomers, but Game Freak HAS to force him to make a Gen 8 Pokemon as DLC!"
Just for the record, I hope you're not quoting me haha. I'm like the giga Cinderace deterrent. Unfortunately that's the kind of stuff I have come to expect. I'm gonna chalk it to people being told to not keep expectations high and reversing to an all time low so when it happens, it doesn't disappoint them as much.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Because Assist Trophies would require entirely new legality, considering Third Parties want Money for an Assist Trophy based off of their IP being added to the Base Game for free, which would ruffle a ton of feathers with all of the Third Parties besides maybe SNK. So, from Nintendo and Sakurai's Perspective, there's no point in adding new Assist Trophies, because that would just screw up Company Relations. Adding New Pokeballs doesn't have that issue because Pokemon is, say it with me now, A FIRST PARTY! Also, back in Smash 4 Gen 7 wasn't a thing until after DLC Wrapped Up, as it was announced after Smash 4 was done, but if it came out earlier, I would've said the same thing about Smash 4 adding additional Gen 7 Pokemon to the Pokeballs. Not only that, but they would be easier to implement, not only because Pokeballs don't have Hurtboxes, but because they're easier to implement because they're not even that complicated, only one move, no way to get hurt, and a simple path? Yeah that's WAYYY easier to implement than an additional Zero or Alucard, especially if Third Party. Not only that, but NAMCO is also developing New Pokemon Snap, meaning that they already have plenty of Gen 8 Models ready to go. Thus making Pokeballs even easier to implement than New Assist Trophies on TOP of Promotional Value, and representing a New World! With less Legal Trouble or development trouble, they don't even need to model some of them, yeah, I think 5 more Pokeballs added in between June and December would be more reasonable than 5 Third Party Assist Trophies. Obliteration Rant, OVER!
Pokemon isn't literally first party. But yes, it'd way easier to work with than normal 3rd parties.

Note that Pokemon is held among 3 companies; Nintendo, Gamefreak, and Creatures Inc. Gamefreak is not owned by Nintendo(though I forget if Creatures Inc. is). All three companies combined make up The Pokemon Company as well. Basically, the IP is partially owned by a third party company. That's why it has controlled content in many ways, as well as in crossovers. The costumes can get very jank in Smash, because it's not just Nintendo or one company who doesn't care as much, but multiple who control it.

I agree with your point that they're definitely easier to add, though. Since it's still a Nintendo exclusive IP, and all.

We'd probably get a few more Spirits, but honestly if we're not getting a character to represent Pokemon Sword/Shield's literal 3rd version(which is just DLC instead of a separate disc), a new Spirit Event makes a ton of sense. It seems like they've spread out the spirit events weirdly, but since it's a Nintendo IP and the game is still active, they have more leeway to release it. That and they're covering two sets of DLC, not one, so it can't be used to promote only one as is(so putting it before the first DLC makes no sense. Before the second one works, though). If it was just one literal big game being released as the thrid version instead of DLC, they'd have gotten a second spirit event by now, though. But... it's not a normal situation, so.

osby

Smash Obsessed
You really hate that strawman, don't you?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Just for the record, I hope you're not quoting me haha. I'm like the giga Cinderace deterrent. Unfortunately that's the kind of stuff I have come to expect. I'm gonna chalk it to people being told to not keep expectations high and reversing to an all time low so when it happens, it doesn't disappoint them as much.
It's indeed what I expect would happen from some other people if the SwSh expansions got a spirit event and an older Pokemon became a DLC fighter.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Pokemon isn't literally first party. But yes, it'd way easier to work with than normal 3rd parties.

Note that Pokemon is held among 3 companies; Nintendo, Gamefreak, and Creatures Inc. Gamefreak is not owned by Nintendo(though I forget if Creatures Inc. is). All three companies combined make up The Pokemon Company as well. Basically, the IP is partially owned by a third party company. That's why it has controlled content in many ways, as well as in crossovers. The costumes can get very jank in Smash, because it's not just Nintendo or one company who doesn't care as much, but multiple who control it.

I agree with your point that they're definitely easier to add, though. Since it's still a Nintendo exclusive IP, and all.

We'd probably get a few more Spirits, but honestly if we're not getting a character to represent Pokemon Sword/Shield's literal 3rd version(which is just DLC instead of a separate disc), a new Spirit Event makes a ton of sense. It seems like they've spread out the spirit events weirdly, but since it's a Nintendo IP and the game is still active, they have more leeway to release it. That and they're covering two sets of DLC, not one, so it can't be used to promote only one as is(so putting it before the first DLC makes no sense. Before the second one works, though). If it was just one literal big game being released as the thrid version instead of DLC, they'd have gotten a second spirit event by now, though. But... it's not a normal situation, so.
True, but Nintendo is one of them, most of the Models are already there with NAMCO, and it would give The Pokemon Company an easy way to advertise the latest Generation. Soooooooo........................

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The whole problem with them making a playable character out of a paid DLC costume is that, well, it would be kind of a **** move to do that.

Sakurai/Nintendo: "Hey, here's a Geno Mii costume. If you want to have some way of playing as Geno or atleast something that looks like him, give us your money!"

Customer: "Whelp, I guess I just go ahead and buy the Geno costume then..."

Sakurai/Nintendo: "SIKE! We are going to make geno playable now, give us your money for Geno again!"

Customer: "Wait, WTF!? If they were going to make Geno playable in the end I wouldn't even have bought the Geno Mii costume in the first place!"
I'm not sure if it's a huge deal - it's a difference of 75 cents between buying the character or buying the character and the Mii costume. If people want a character in Smash enough to buy their Mii costume (since it's the closest they'll get to being playable), I don't think too many people would be upset if that character becomes fully playable.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
True, but Nintendo is one of them, most of the Models are already there with NAMCO, and it would give The Pokemon Company an easy way to advertise the latest Generation. Soooooooo........................
I'm just saying it's not first party. I agree it's way easier to do.

I wouldn't expect it with more normal 3rd party situations.

Though I also don't think it's very likely either. I could see it, though, if we got a Pokemon Gen 8 Newcomer, though. That feels a lot more justified to go with. That way they get to show off as much Gen 8 as possible, as they really do like to heavily show off the latest Gen. Like, every Gen so far has gotten quite a bit of content, though not all got playable characters. One without a lot does feel kind of odd.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
Personally speaking, I think our next characters will come:
March (1st Party)
June (3rd Party)
September/October (3rd Party)

I’m highly confident Rex is in. He seems to be the only logical first party that hasn’t either been spirit evented (R.I.P. Paper Mario, Impa, Gen 8 Pokemon, Akira Howard), became a profile picture on online (Pyra and Mythra have though... as well as Eggman, Tails, etc.) or DLC Mii Costumed (Geno, MegaMan Characters, Sans).

And before you say ‘Rex is a bonus costume for FP1!’, that was a bonus. An extra. You can’t buy the Rex costume on its own. Strange.

I’m kind of split on Hayabusa. It’s between him and Dante. Hayabusa has the legacy, but not the popularity. And Dante... well, any non-Street Fighter Capcom rep (e.g. Phoenix Wright) could just get Mii Costumed. And those rumours of talks between Nintendo and Koei Tecmo... maybe it was Smash, maybe it wasn’t.

My confidence in Crash is slowly waining. I’d love for him to be in Smash, but it might be too soon. MIGHT. I’d give him around a 60% chance. I’m also expecting a Spyro Mii costume when he arrives.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I'm just saying it's not first party. I agree it's way easier to do.

I wouldn't expect it with more normal 3rd party situations.

Though I also don't think it's very likely either. I could see it, though, if we got a Pokemon Gen 8 Newcomer, though. That feels a lot more justified to go with. That way they get to show off as much Gen 8 as possible, as they really do like to heavily show off the latest Gen. Like, every Gen so far has gotten quite a bit of content, though not all got playable characters. One without a lot does feel kind of odd.
Yeah. I think a Gen 8 Pokemon is likely, but it almost entirely depends on if New Pokemon Snap would be counted as the 2021 Character that will inevitably happen. I do think it's possible, and both at the same time would be fitting, but I think this is another case of getting outprioritzed, I do think it's extremely likely for us to get new Pokeballs regardless of if we get a Gen 8 Newcomer or not.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah. I think a Gen 8 Pokemon is likely, but it almost entirely depends on if New Pokemon Snap would be counted as the 2021 Character that will inevitably happen. I do think it's possible, and both at the same time would be fitting, but I think this is another case of getting outprioritzed, I do think it's extremely likely for us to get new Pokeballs regardless of if we get a Gen 8 Newcomer or not.
It's plausible. That said, I'm not sure New Pokemon Snap would really warrant a character like the main games would. Though used as an excuse to advertise it I could see, but it also depends who is in NPS.

Who knows. Would be a neat 2021 character too~ It'd be funny if it's still a Gen 8 character, but it's from NSP specifically.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'm not sure if it's a huge deal - it's a difference of 75 cents between buying the character or buying the character and the Mii costume. If people want a character in Smash enough to buy their Mii costume (since it's the closest they'll get to being playable), I don't think too many people would be upset if that character becomes fully playable.
It still sucks for modeling artists who have to work on Geno twice solely because Sakurai, Nintendo and Square wanted to prank the fanbase.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
It's plausible. That said, I'm not sure New Pokemon Snap would really warrant a character like the main games would. Though used as an excuse to advertise it I could see, but it also depends who is in NPS.

Who knows. Would be a neat 2021 character too~ It'd be funny if it's still a Gen 8 character, but it's from NSP specifically.
Eh. Then again did Three Houses or ARMS warrant a Character?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't expect any new Poke Balls unless we're getting a new Pokemon fighter, and even then it's unlikely.

SKX31

Smash Master
Well, it would open the doors to DLC Assist Trophies and that would be a disaster for speculation.
Aside from speculation already being a disaster:

OTOH I would welcome the opportunity, since my most wanted - a certain beautiful disaster of a game - has a lot of potential DLC ATs. Namely, characters with giant AoE 4 secs stuns.

Imagining that in Smash fills me with both enourmous amounts of joy and an overwhelming sense of dread.

Although that strikes me as a question of timing - I strongly doubt Nintendo / Bamco kept a large dev team around post-release to work on even FP1 (even relative to other DLC teams) simply because DLC Pokeball 'Mons and the like are not on the radar. If Gen 8 is indeed in (somehow, I lean towards Gen 8 being unlikely due to the timing of the Spirit event) they could perhaps do some more Pokeball Pokemon, although it would highlight the lack of DLC ATs etc. in the other packs. Especially since NPCs like Ann, Mumbo and Geese are fully animated. Anyhow, DLC Pokeball 'Mons would mean needing to commit more dev resources and time, so I'm not confident on those.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It still sucks for modeling artists who have to work on Geno twice solely because Sakurai, Nintendo and Square wanted to prank the fanbase.
I'm sorry for sounding like someone who thinks Geno still has a chance, but you do know that model was recycled from Smash 4, right? And why wouldn't they use the model as a base to help them get started?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom