• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Arms and xc2 are relatively unpopular?
Relatively?

...yeah.

Alright, unrepresented series...
Smaller character...
Nintendo connections...
Yeah, let's go the extra mile and add an indie...
It's friggin Rhythm Link
Yeah, disappointingly, they're kinda all joke picks.

Like, I said I got Ace Attorney, but the specific character was Detective Gumshoe.

That isn't what I said, I said it sold less, so it shouldn't be in the same tier as pokemon. A "hard shill" is for something that's from a smaller franchise, a "soft shill" is for a game that is bigger.
He's the one that made the list. "hard shill" and "soft shill" mean what he wants them to mean.

Was this ****ing english?
It's a lot of FGC jargon, but I understood it.

Oh... Oh no...
Man...I unironically love that game.

SMH it’s The Hand that erases space, King Crimson erases time.
Nobody knows how King Crimson works!

I’d expect around 20 cuts maximum, including the Echo Fighters. Most likely around 10-15 cuts.
I dunno why you'd cut the Echoes. They're free real estate.

If any of the character Mii Costumes for Ultimate were to be upgraded in the next one, who would it be?
Arthur.

Baba

Smash Journeyman
Imagine if they released in 2/3 years a Ultimate Deluxe but FP1 and 2 characters (+ Mii Costumes waves) needs still to be purchase separately.
I think a "complete edition" of the game is likely. The question is if it'll have anything new selling points.

Edit: wait do you mean they are included? because you just described the version of ultimate that already exists lmao

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Imagine if they released in 2/3 years a Ultimate Deluxe but FP1 and 2 characters (+ Mii Costumes waves) needs still to be purchase separately.
Mii Costume Waves of any third party is pretty much expected for this. Companies want to make as much revenue on their product. However, Pass 1 and 2(and PP) would most likely be base game anyway, with DLC for later stuff. They already have the work done, which means the rest is just licensing and then adding even more. It could even be all of the characters as your next base roster(plus more) so new DLC waves could be made and get more money.

...Not that there's a fair chance for a Deluxe, anyway, due to massive amount of licensing, but still.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
That's just Ultimate Regular, isn't it? Unless you mean on a different system.
Its like Ultimate +, I mean base game + new content (fighters, spirits, music, stages, some game modes, etc) but FP1/2 content is not included.

You can upgrade you regular Ultimate copy to Plus version by paying $40/45.

The new content wouldn’t make reference to FP1/2.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
don't worry guys there'll be a direct this week for sure

this week for sure

this week for sure

t̴̳̾̾͗͐͝h̶̙̹͕̔̚i̵̱̞̝͝ș̵͓̈́̓ ̷̫͖̖̃̇͐w̷̮̝̤̓̍̔̎ę̴͓̖̩̎ë̸͎́͗k̸̯̐̔̈̃͗ ̸͍̠̩̉͜f̶̝̣͉̼̍̄ö̶͚͙̠̦́̑r̸̦̜̫͉̆̓̒ ̸̛̹͖͖̪̑̌̀͗͜s̸̢̮̘̍̔̊̌͝ṵ̵͍̈́͊̾̾͠r̵̠̫̯̦̍͌̀́͜ẽ̷͍͙͈̑͠

Shroob

Sup?
So today's one of the holidays people were going nuts over. They weren't gonna announce a Direct on a Sunday anyway.

Yeah, the holiday's Monday in Japan, but that's basically Sunday for the majority of us in the US.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
So today's one of the holidays people were going nuts over. They weren't gonna announce a Direct on a Sunday anyway.

Yeah, the holiday's Monday in Japan, but that's basically Sunday for the majority of us in the US.
Actually, I just checked and it's this Thursday.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Current State of Smash Speculation: Bored child in the back of the car asking "are we there yet?" every 5 minutes.
Ask one more time and Sakurai's going to turn the development around and start removing DLC characters from the game.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Not to say that these titles won't get spirit events but....

They are most likely referencing a Samus Hunter tweet of all things.
This is the only "Source" I can find that corroborates the "Fall titles" getting "Spirit battles" detail the original tweet alludes to.
SamusHunter2
I don't have a garbage bin big enough for these tweets.

toonito

Smash Ace
If Ultimate Deluxe Edition is a thing then the selling point could be "Everyone is Back!" lol with all characters from Ultimate as base game.

I wonder if they'd go for "100+ characters!" then they'd need at least 18 more characters from now to reach that point. A possible way to reach it is for Ultimate DX to have 6 newcomers, 6 echoes (ease of development), and 6 new DLC characters in 1 Pass or 2 Passes 3 characters each. 12 new stages for the newcomers and there's your port lol.

If it's "90+ characters" then they'd need at least 8. Maybe 2 newcomers, 2 echoes and 4 DLC characters (6 new stages in this scenario).

Last edited:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Not to say that these titles won't get spirit events but....

They are most likely referencing a Samus Hunter tweet of all things.
This is the only "Source" I can find that corroborates the "Fall titles" getting "Spirit battles" detail the original tweet alludes to.
That tweet is kind of suspicious to me...
Black Mage Benjamin Level Up.jpg

SKX31

Smash Master
Sine the roster has reached its maximum capacity, I wouldn't be surprised if the games going forward do what fighting games normally do which is use mechanics as a selling point rather than its roster. I mean, the roster will always be a big part of the hype, but since it's inevitably going to feel like we went from "Everyone is Here!" to "Everyone is Gone!" (not necessarily within the next game, but we will eventually have more cuts than keeps) I think they're really going to have to sell people with new game mechanics, or perhaps a better single player or something.
Oh it's so tempting to beat the dead horse known as "Online"... Still, improving that as much as feasible would be a major boon to Smash 6 considering the online modes have been a continous headache since Brawl.

Aside from new mechanics and online, they could still do quite a lot:

• Revisit old modes like Smash Run and refine them. E.g. Smash Run where the players can interact on the map. If they really want to reintroduce a less-liked mode like Smash Tour, it might be for the best to rework. (I just rewatched Alpharad's Smash Tour video, and jeez it looks too random and snowbally. The stat boosts are particularily of note, since the players get them at a dice-dependent rate unlike Smash Run,)
  • Existing modes like Squad Strike and Smashdown could be added online and see further work on. The 3-on-3 tag team idea is worth considering since Squad Strike is much the same except without the free switching.
  • I agree that single player has not been particularily strong - with exceptions like SSE. But with that out of the question the choices feel a bit more limited. Still, why not give Melee's Adventure Mode a new spin? That's a concept that could be revisited without having to worry about a 13 month development deadline. And considering a lot of new universes have been introduced since Melee, it might be worth a shot.
  • More than 8 alternate costumes, please. And please add alternate voicepacks, like Right Back at Ya's :ultkingdedede:. Premium costumes could be great too with added particle effects, but they'd have to be approached carefully. In b4 Monkey's Paw curls and we get Mario's swimsuit from Odyssey. I'm not entirely a fan of the Miis being the only characters that are customizable like that, since it leaves the rest of the roster feeling a bit static.
  • New modes.... uuuuuh. Dunno which specific ones I'd add. But still, that'd be welcome.
  • Finally, allow Stage Creator to create Board the Platforms / Target Test stages. Event Matches could likewise be integrated into Stage Creator or just be its own Creator.

More minor stuff, but still:

• Training Mode could use some revamps. It's still not that great at letting people train specific situations people run into whether playing on the couch or online. Sure, you can set 2 Links into just firing arrows at the player, but you can't set (one of) them to fire a Boomerang or bomb instead.
  • The AI could certainly use some additional upgrades as well, even if Ultimate's AI is leagues ahead of the abysmal 64 / Melee AI.
  • While I don't mind "Equal stocks at end of time = Sudden Death" in a vacuum, I'd honestly appriciate if they added other means of resolving ties (lowest %, most damage dealt).

What did Samus Hunter even do to get so much attention?
Hope and the desire for any information that can fuel said hopes amongst the audience, I have to guess. Even if the whole thing does not stand up to any real scrutiny. (One can say the same for a lot of past leakers.)

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Man, I want a Melee-esque Adventure mode a lot more than I want a new SSE. I'd love to see what they'd do for the secret final boss. One idea I have would relate to giving Kirby a nice boost in modern representation, with its recurring greater-scope antagonist... ;)

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Everyone that's been in more than one consecutive installment (meaning not counting, say, Young Link or Pichu) can be pretty reliably seen as safe. The only precedent for it we have is the Ice Climbers, who had unique circumstances regarding their being cut. Smash for 3DS will likely remain the only installment on a less powerful system than its predecessor.

I don't enjoy talking cuts, and that's why I'm not interested in "next game" speculation, but those are my two cents. I will not be following this up or answering questions. :p
Prior to Ultimate I would agree with you but I would be incredibly surprised if Cloud made it back.
I also think Toon Link might get cut in the next one and Young Link will be the second Link instead as he's more popular in Ultimate.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Prior to Ultimate I would agree with you but I would be incredibly surprised if Cloud made it back.
I also think Toon Link might get cut in the next one and Young Link will be the second Link instead as he's more popular in Ultimate.
Personally, my own take would be that Toon Link makes it back, but with a moveset and playstyle more like that of Young Link, though that is only my own personal take on the whole thing.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
The only leak i believe is real is the one on the back of my toilet
It leaks water, so it will be a water type starter; Mario is a plumber though, so it can also be a new Mario rep.

Man, I want a Melee-esque Adventure mode a lot more than I want a new SSE. I'd love to see what they'd do for the secret final boss. One idea I have would relate to giving Kirby a nice boost in modern representation, with its recurring greater-scope antagonist... ;)
Me too. I think that instead of a big story mode they should develop a set of, maybe about ten Melee-like adventure modes, along with an improved Smash Run. That's all what Smash needs when it comes to single player content (character-specific break the target stages would be great but with almost 100 characters it would be like developing a 2D Mario game in parallel with the main game).

There should be several smaller Adventure modes, maybe even shorter than the Melee one, but all of them should feature a theme and unique environments based on the IPs represented in it.
Some ideas are:

• a Super Mario Bros Adventure mode, which recreates in short the story of a generic Mario game (Peach gets kidnapped, you have to save her from bowser; start from Mario's home, go through grasslands, Peach's castle, underground, beach area, desert area, Rainbow Ride, and a final fight at Bowser's Castle with Peach as your partner to defend)
  • an 80's classics themed Adventure mode, all with 8-bit style graphics
  • a Third Party Adventure mode which is a big crossover of all the not-Nintendo stuff
  • a full recreation of Kirby's Dreamland from GB, redesigned to have more fight moments, along with a Metaknight battle in it (maybe instead of Kabula you go aboard the Halberd)
  • a fantasy themed Adventure mode featuring stuff from Legend of Zelda, Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest, Castlevania, Monster Hunter, classic Final Fantasy and maybe Kid Icarus even if it's not really fantasy but more mithology.
  • a sports themed Adventure mode, maybe featuring some minigames in it, such as a match where in order to win you have to smash a ball at the other side of the screen and defend your own side; it would feautre IPs such as Splatoon, Arms, Punch Out, Wii-Sport and Wii-Fit (maybe Mario Kart too).
  • a futuristic themed Adventure mode with sci-fi franchises such as F-Zero, Star Fox, Metroid, etc.

and a few more; they would be 10 or 15 minutes long each at most, even less if you rush through them at lowest difficulty; some of them might feature alternate endings/additional final bosses/levels if you play them at higher difficulties (for example, the Mario one would unlock a Giga Bowser secret fight).

I mean, some of those story modes might also be good content for a DLC, even without a character in it.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
More than 8 alternate costumes, please. And please add alternate voicepacks, like Right Back at Ya's :ultkingdedede:. Premium costumes could be great too with added particle effects, but they'd have to be approached carefully. In b4 Monkey's Paw curls and we get Mario's swimsuit from Odyssey. I'm not entirely a fan of the Miis being the only characters that are customizable like that, since it leaves the rest of the roster feeling a bit static.
I think it would be good if they had 10 each by default. You could have a general rule that the first 8 are the normal pallet swaps, and the last two are alternate costumes just for fun. For example, Mario would have his red (default), white, blue, yellow, black, green, stars and stripes, and purple palette swaps along side his Builder Mario and wedding outfit costumes. Ness would keep his red (default), white, yellow, green, purple, blue, pink, and cyan palette swaps while adding his pajamas and/or that one time he was a robot in his two new slots.

For the exceptions, the characters that split their palettes between two alternate costumes would just gain a pallet swap each. Steve could either add an alternate Steve and Alex costume, or they could add more mobs like Skeleton and Piglin. Bowser Jr. would get a Koopa Kid alternate costume, as well as uh...an Amazing Flyin' Hammer Brother?

The AI could certainly use some additional upgrades as well, even if Ultimate's AI is leagues ahead of the abysmal 64 / Melee AI.
New difficulty level: Mimic. The AI uses a learning algorithm to learn how you play except it actually does that rather than "leveling up" a set AI like it does for Amiibo. It would probably be best if the Mimic AI learned from you even when not engaged since it would likely need to be a per-character thing.

Personally, my own take would be that Toon Link makes it back, but with a moveset and playstyle more like that of Young Link, though that is only my own personal take on the whole thing.
They'd probably go with who's the most relevant. That would currently be Toy Link from The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, but I don't think he'd stay that way all the way until the next game. Toon Link is probably the safest bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom