• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So uumm does anyone want to talk about Killer Instinct? I'm in the mood for a discussion. I'll start off with what character would you like to see be the rep? KI has a lot of really cool characters with great designs and unique moveset potential. Looking at the list I think Aganos, Aria, Eyedol, Fulgore, Gargos, Glacius, Omen, Riptor, Saberwolf, Kilgore, or Spinal would be really cool. Even if realistically it would probably come down to Jago, Orchid and Fulgore. Although I honestly don't find Jago and Orchid to be that interesting amidst a roster filled with stuff like a cyborg with machine guns for arms and a sabertooth wolf.

If I had to choose one, Fulgore would be the middle ground between who I think would be really cool and what would make sense to be the face of KI in Smash. It is tempting to choose someone else instead like Riptor or Glacius but I know that choosing a random character wouldn't go over well with some people. But in general, KI just has a badass cast.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Not to say, it's undeniable Smash is a walking promotion. They obviously didn't came up with the idea of Smash just to promote games, but by nature of being a crossover game that involves a lot of videogame IPs the series definitely has a component of promotion. Sometimes promotion is the main reason for a character to be included to Smash, but even the ones that weren't added because of that are promoting their series by just being in a game where so many different series collide. This also goes to assist trophies or spirits, not just fighters.

When you have a videogame with so many different IPs involved, people are bound to discover, learn and feel curiosity by characters and franchises they might didn't know much about before playing Smash. Most people if not all othem started playing Smash because Mario, Link or other of their favorite heroes are in the game. Then as you keep playing interest in 1, 2 of 3 series you never tried will grow and you will eventually try those.

Not saying that happened to absolutely everyone that plays Smash but it definitely happened to a lot of players. I for example knew of Metal Gear Solid for years but never felt interest in trying the series, and my interest for MGS only appeared after playing Brawl, seeing Snake, his stage or the music from MGS. I use Metal Gear as an example, but the same goes for Fire Emblem or Mega Man in my personal experience.

Call it indirect promotion if you want, but there's definitely a part of promotion in Smash.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So uumm does anyone want to talk about Killer Instinct? I'm in the mood for a discussion. I'll start off with what character would you like to see be the rep? KI has a lot of really cool characters with great designs and unique moveset potential. Looking at the list I think Aganos, Aria, Eyedol, Fulgore, Gargos, Glacius, Omen, Riptor, Saberwolf, Kilgore, or Spinal would be really cool. Even if realistically it would probably come down to Jago, Orchid and Fulgore. Although I honestly don't find Jago and Orchid to be that interesting amidst a roster filled with stuff like a cyborg with machine guns for arms and a sabertooth wolf.

If I had to choose one, Fulgore would be the middle ground between who I think would be really cool and what would make sense to be the face of KI in Smash. It is tempting to choose someone else instead like Riptor or Glacius but I know that choosing a random character wouldn't go over well with some people. But in general, KI just has a badass cast.
Fulgore is got to be the one they do. In any case, I do wonder how exactly a Killer Instinct character would work though. Killer Instinct is more Combo based than most other fighters, and then you got the Combo breaker mechanic the series is famous for. Smash is not a game where True combos are in large amounts, like with Killer Instinct

Perhaps they can give every character the Combo Breaker Mechanic, maybe done after a Certain amount of moves done in succession when stuck in hitstun. That way Someone like Fulgore would be able to do Huge would be True Combos without being broken. Perhaps Frametraps would also be a big thing to perhaps not allow a state like that

It turns out the past few September Directs all took place a week or so before the Tokyo Game Show View attachment 330725
Next week is what it's got to be. Besides a Direct, getting CP11 revealed next week would mean we likely to get them 2 weeks after, in early October, which is also around the time the Maintenance for Prepaid cards and Download codes are, which are most definitely used for DLC and such, like Smash

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
No, it turned into promotion the video game ever since we've had DLC. It wasn't promotion: the video game when Sakurai decided to have Nintendo characters fight eachother back in melee and 64, or in Brawl when he did the same thing but added a few cool guests. It turned into promotion immediately when Nintendo and other companies started exploiting DLC for their own personal gain.
Right, that's why we got Banjo, Terry, Sephiroth, and Kazuya.

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
It turns out the past few September Directs all took place a week or so before the Tokyo Game Show View attachment 330725
What Japanese Holiday is this week? If it's only one day then I don't see what's stopping them from doing it this week. I can see the logic of them not wanting to drop it the same week as an event they aren't attending, but not that they can't drop it on the week of a holiday.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh wait, Wednesday in our time is Thursday their time. And Thursday our time is Friday their time

so announce on Tuesday (our time) and air Thursday (our time)?

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I'm not banking on it happening next week or anytime soon tbh. I hope it's sooner than later of course, but I learned that actively waiting for it is not good for me.

Dinoman96

Smash Master

I think Fulgore would probably be the best choice. Unlike other poster boy/mascot characters, you can't even say he's boring considering he's a Predator/Terminator hybrid with teleports and electricity and lasers and all that.

I just don't ever really expect to see Killer Instinct show up in Smash because Nintendo never published the first two games in their home country, despite co-owning the IP along with Rare back then. The games have come out in Japan on Xbox but...yeah. It's basically Mike Jones/StarTropics tier in that regard.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The idea that Smash didn't become advertisement: the video game until DLC became a thing when Roy was literally added before his game came out is laughable to me.
To be fair, he only managed to make it in because Sakurai had extra time and wanted to add some bonus clone characters. Also, his game was originally meant to release before Melee.

I think Fulgore would probably be the best choice. Unlike other poster boy/mascot characters, you can't even say he's boring considering he's a Predator/Terminator hybrid with teleports and electricity and lasers and all that.

I just don't ever really expect to see Killer Instinct show up in Smash because Nintendo never published the first two games in their home country, despite co-owning the IP along with Rare back then. The games have come out in Japan on Xbox but...yeah. It's basically Mike Jones/StarTropics tier in that regard.
If Rare was still with Nintendo, maybe they would have a better chance.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
What Japanese Holiday is this week? If it's only one day then I don't see what's stopping them from doing it this week. I can see the logic of them not wanting to drop it the same week as an event they aren't attending, but not that they can't drop it on the week of a holiday.
In Japan, Monday is Respect Elders day and Thursday is Autumn Equinox Day.

Due to timezones these actually fall during Sunday and Wednesday respectively in America and in a few places of Europe.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I don't see how this affects my point.
Because the implication from your post seemed to be that Roy got primarily added with the intention of representing a game that came out after Melee when the main reason he got in was as a roster filler and his game was meant to release before Melee. Any advertisement factor is more of a bonus rather than the main reason why he was selected.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
In Japan, Monday is Respect Elders day and Thursday is Autumn Equinox Day.

Due to timezones these actually fall during Tuesday and Friday respectively in America and in a few places of Europe.
So, with that, would that make Monday USA time a good time for an announcement of a Direct, since our Monday will be Japan's Tuesday?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
If Rare was still with Nintendo, maybe they would have a better chance.
Well, like I just said, Nintendo never released Killer Instinct and Killer Instinct 2/Gold in Japan despite having co-ownership of those games prior to 2002.

Very very few western only Nintendo games have been referenced in Smash, just look at how IPs like StarTropics and Geist don't get anything, not even spirits. The only time games not published in Japan have gotten a nod in Smash are the Kid Icarus Of Myths & Monsters sticker and the Elite Beat Agents (which is just a westernised version of Ouendan) trophy/spirits in Brawl/Ultimate.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
So, with that, would that make Monday USA time a good time for an announcement of a Direct, since our Monday will be Japan's Tuesday?
Wait, I had it backwards. Japan is ahead so actually Sunday in American and EU Time is Respect Elders Day and Wednesday is Autumn Equinox.

This means that the standardly speculated schedule of American and EU Announcement on Tuesday and Release on Thursday is still on the table. Meaning that is the most likely time.

Sorry for the confusion.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well, like I just said, Nintendo never released Killer Instinct and Killer Instinct 2/Gold in Japan despite having co-ownership of those games prior to 2002.

Very very few western only Nintendo games have been referenced in Smash, just look at how IPs like StarTropics and Geist don't get anything, not even spirits. The only time games not published in Japan have gotten a nod in Smash are the Kid Icarus Of Myths & Monsters sticker and the Elite Beat Agents (which is just a westernised version of Ouendan) trophy/spirits in Brawl/Ultimate.
Oh I thought Elite Beat Agents was Japanese only. lol

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Just wait now.

Wait how that pattern ends up breaking just like most.

Then onwards to October! Exactly what Sakurai meant when he said "It'll be a while".

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
The idea that Smash didn't become advertisement: the video game until DLC became a thing when Roy was literally added before his game came out is laughable to me.
You mean the character Sakurai actually debated including due to their lack of popularity in the west and their game not even being out yet?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Wait, I had it backwards. Japan is ahead so actually Sunday in American and EU Time is Respect Elders Day and Wednesday is Autumn Equinox.

This means that the standardly speculated schedule of American and EU Announcement on Tuesday and Release on Thursday is still on the table. Meaning that is the most likely time.

Sorry for the confusion.
Don't worry. We all make mistakes.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
You mean the character Sakurai actually debated including due to their lack of popularity in the west and their game not even being out yet?
Which Marth and Roy both made people go "What'sa Fire Emblem?" and then the series gained an audience over here.

Smash has always been an ad, TBH.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I'm done "waiting", haha. I can't mope around any longer, I've got stuff to do. When it happens, it'll happen and I'll be excited, but I'm not actively on edge about it anymore.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
As for if a Direct is coming?

Who knows. Nintendo doesn't really need to do one right now: They have a packed release schedule up until February of next year, and CP11 could be dropped via a Sakurai Presents any day now.

Or they could do a Direct anyways and drop CP11 there.

It could really go either way, TBH. There really isn't much we can do besides wait it out. Not even industry people seem sure about if one'll actually happen this month. :drshrug:

Regardless, though, I'm still pretty confident CP11 is imminent anyways, so yeah, I don't think we got too much longer to go.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
It's possible... if not though, there's always N̛̪̝̟̬̳͊̉é͙̩̘̖͉͈͆͂́ẋ̸͇͓̹̜͎̜ͅt̢̥͖̤͙̜̳̉̋͗̅ ͓̦̯ͦ̕W̗̹͓̫̤̠̮͑ͥ̆ͭ̕ẽ̤̱͍̹̥͕̀e̶̱̣̟͎͔̯̺̓ͧͫͧͅk̡̞͎̘̩̦͌̿
That's some nice glitched text you've got there.

It'd be a shame if my stand King Crimson were to erase it.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, I've been thinking about which 1st party franchises Nintendo cares about and which ones might be in danger of being cut in the next game.

So I've put them into different groups.

Flagship Franchises:
Super Mario
Donkey Kong
The Legend of Zelda
Pokemon
Animal Crossing
Mii (and associated franchises like Tomodacchi Life, Pilotwings, etc)

These are Nintendo's big money makers. Cutting these franchises would be utter suicide and each franchise will continue to get a lot of love, care and attention.

Smaller Mainstay Franchises:
Metroid
Yoshi
Kirby
Fire Emblem
Wario Ware
Pikmin

These are franchises that have proven their worth. They make a profit and have a lot of fans, but they aren't as huge as the flagship franchises. These franchises are incredibly safe. They make take breaks, but they usually aren't for very long and Nintendo knows there's still starpower behind the IP. I don't see any getting cut unless the roster is absolutely gutted.

Rising Stars
Xenoblade Chronicles
Splatoon
ARMS

These franchises are all successful so far, but they are newer franchises. That said, if their success continues, then I think all three will either go into Flagship (Splatoon) or Smaller Mainstay (Xenoblade Chronicles and ARMS). At this point in time, all three are pretty darn safe (especially Splatoon), but anything can happen, which brings us to...

Grandfathered In
Star Fox
F-Zero
Earthbound

These series aren't doing too well. All three are either dead or on life support and are way past their glory days. That said, even if Nintendo doesn't give them much care or attention, they are still remembered fondly and are given rereleases and cameos. Even still, I doubt they'd be included in Smash nowadays. Its a good thing all three franchises are already Smash staples. They're a part of Smash's identity at this point, so they're safe.

Retros
Ice Climber
Game & Watch
R.O.B.
Duck Hunt

These franchises got included through different circumstances. It's hard to gauge what will happen with these ones. Nintendo doesn't care about them outside of cameos and historical contexts, but they're all meant to be retro throwbacks. I can see these guys being low priority with only Game & Watch escaping that due to being grandfathered in.

The Awkward Spot
Kid Icarus
Wii Fit
Punch Out!!

Okay so... these franchises are in a spot where I actually think they may be in trouble. All three have... just kind of disappeared. Kid Icarus hasn't seen anything except rereleases since the early 3DS. Wii Fit may be eternally stuck to the Wii brand and Punch Out!! hasn't gotten anything new since... 2009. What's really confusing is that these franchises aren't unpopular or struggling. All three sold well, have a fair amount of brand power and have a lot of fans. Still, their apparent lack of interest may just be... that. Nintendo may just not be that interested in the IP outside of owning it and putting their characters in Smash. I can see Kid Icarus and Punch Out!! scramble their way out of this pit with a big new game but... Wii Fit might be in trouble. Unless Ring Fit Adventure and Wii Fit merge somehow, I don't see anymore Wii Fit games coming out. Wii Fit may go the way of Star Fox and F-Zero and... Wii Fit Trainer hasn't been grandfathered in like Fox, Falco and Captain Falcon. That said, there's still more reason to keep Wii Fit Trainer in Smash then not. They're just probably low priority at this point.

But what about new first party IPs in Smash? Well, unless something major happens, I think we have the majority of first party IPs that will ever be in Smash. That said, I think there are five to watch out for.

Ring Fit Adventure
Astral Chain
Advance Wars
Golden Sun
Rhythm Heaven

Ring Fit Adventure and Astral Chain have just recently come out and have been successes. I'm just waiting for Nintendo to commit to either IP by making a sequel or including them in Smash like ARMS. Advance Wars is an older IP with a history of success, but also a history of failure. This new remake may be the shot in the arm the franchise needs and if it stays around, I'd argue its only a matter of time until its included. Golden Sun doesn't have a foreseeable future, but there is significant demand for the IP to make a comeback. If any other IP makes an Advance Wars style comeback, I think it would be Golden Sun. And finally, Rhythm Heaven was already set to be in Smash at one point. It just got cut for some reason. If the franchise has a successful new entry, then I feel it can definitely get a second look and get included.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
So, I've been thinking about which 1st party franchises Nintendo cares about and which ones might be in danger of being cut in the next game.

So I've put them into different groups.

Flagship Franchises:
Super Mario
Donkey Kong
The Legend of Zelda
Pokemon
Animal Crossing
Mii (and associated franchises like Tomodacchi Life, Pilotwings, etc)

These are Nintendo's big money makers. Cutting these franchises would be utter suicide and each franchise will continue to get a lot of love, care and attention.

Smaller Mainstay Franchises:
Metroid
Yoshi
Kirby
Fire Emblem
Wario Ware
Pikmin

These are franchises that have proven their worth. They make a profit and have a lot of fans, but they aren't as huge as the flagship franchises. These franchises are incredibly safe. They make take breaks, but they usually aren't for very long and Nintendo knows there's still starpower behind the IP. I don't see any getting cut unless the roster is absolutely gutted.

Rising Stars
Xenoblade Chronicles
Splatoon
ARMS

These franchises are all successful so far, but they are newer franchises. That said, if their success continues, then I think all three will either go into Flagship (Splatoon) or Smaller Mainstay (Xenoblade Chronicles and ARMS). At this point in time, all three are pretty darn safe (especially Splatoon), but anything can happen, which brings us to...

Grandfathered In
Star Fox
F-Zero
Earthbound

These series aren't doing too well. All three are either dead or on life support and are way past their glory days. That said, even if Nintendo doesn't give them much care or attention, they are still remembered fondly are are given rereleases and cameos. Even still, I doubt they'd be included in Smash nowadays. Its a good thing all three franchises are already Smash staples. They're a part of Smash's identity at this point, so they're safe.

Retros
Ice Climber
Game & Watch
R.O.B.
Duck Hunt

These franchises got included through different circumstances. It's hard to gauge what will happen with these ones. Nintendo doesn't care about them outside of cameos and historical contexts, but they're all meant to be retro throwbacks. I can see these guys being low priority with only Game & Watch escaping that due to being grandfathered in.

The Awkward Spot
Kid Icarus
Wii Fit
Punch Out!!

Okay so... these franchises are in a spot where I actually think they may be in trouble. All three have... just kind of disappeared. Kid Icarus hasn't seen anything except rereleases since the early 3DS. Wii Fit may be eternally stuck to the Wii brand and Punch Out!! hasn't gotten anything new since... 2009. What's really confusing is that these franchises aren't unpopular or struggling. All three sold well, have a fair amount of brand power and have a lot of fans. Still, their apparent lack of interest may just be... that. Nintendo may just not be that interested in the IP outside of owning it and putting their characters in Smash. I can see Kid Icarus and Punch Out!! scramble their way out of this pit with a big new game but... Wii Fit might be in trouble. Unless Ring Fit Adventure and Wii Fit merge somehow, I don't see anymore Wii Fit games coming out. Wii Fit may go the way of Star Fox and F-Zero and... Wii Fit Trainer hasn't been grandfathered in like Fox, Falco and Captain Falcon. That said, there's still more reason to keep Wii Fit Trainer in Smash then not. They're just probably low priority at this point.

But what about new first party IPs in Smash? Well, unless something major happens, I think we have the majority of first party IPs that will ever be in Smash. That said, I think there are five to watch out for.

Ring Fit Adventure
Astral Chain
Advance Wars
Golden Sun
Rhythm Heaven

Ring Fit Adventure and Astral Chain have just recently come out and have been successes. I'm just waiting for Nintendo to commit to either IP by making a sequel or including them in Smash like ARMS. Advance Wars is an older IP with a history of success, but also a history of failure. This new remake may be the shot in the arm the franchise needs and if it stays around, I'd argue its only a matter of time until its included. Golden Sun doesn't have a foreseeable future, but there is significant demand for the IP to make a comeback. If any other IP makes an Advance Wars style comeback, I think it would be Golden Sun. And finally, Rhythm Heaven was already set to be in Smash at one point. It just got cut for some reason. If the franchise has a successful new entry, then I feel it can definitely get a second look and get included.
Aside from Ice Climbers(since they tend to have issues) and Wii Fit(since it could be "replaced" by Ring Fit), I think the other series are pretty safe. A couple of the series with plenty of characters might lose a character, but I don't think any of them will be taken out altogether, whereas Ice Climbers tends to have the programming issues and whatnot, and Ring Fit could be seen as Wii Fit's spiritual successor and I wouldn't be surprised if Wii Fit were "replaced" by Ring Fit.

As for new Nintendo IPs, it's hard to say how many will be added for the next game. Melee added 3 new Nintendo IPs, Brawl added 4 new Nintendo IPs, Smash 4 added 6 new Nintendo IPs, but Ultimate only had 1 new Nintendo IP base game and, so far, only 1 new Nintendo IP for DLC for a total of 2 new Nintendo IPs, which is lower than even Melee. The ones you listed are definitely contenders to look out for and there's also the possible "out there" Nintendo character, like Game & Watch, R.O.B. and Duck Hunt. But it's hard to say exactly how many new Nintendo IPs will be added in a future game, especially when they have many potential characters from their currant series in Smash.
I mean, look at us frickin' geeking over the Chozo Warrior, especially with Dread getting alot of attention and with the possibility being a good seller. Pokemon and Fire Emblem at this point feel like no-brainers, as well as another Splatoon character. And we still have people asking for characters like Waluigi, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, etc. While I do not think we are not going to get any new Nintendo IPs, it's probably best to be ready for only a couple new Nintendo IPs for the next game, unless Nintendo really brings them out to balance out the amount of 3rd Party series we possibly lose.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I'd say any franchise with 2+ characters is safe from total removal like Earthbound but maybe drop to one but ppl say nah no one is getting dropped that's been in the game for 3 titles blahblah but that's true usually because players pick them up and main them throughout etc.... Single reps tho I have less faith they return though I'm not thinking of anyone in particular atm.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Everyone that's been in more than one consecutive installment (meaning not counting, say, Young Link or Pichu) can be pretty reliably seen as safe. The only precedent for it we have is the Ice Climbers, who had unique circumstances regarding their being cut. Smash for 3DS will likely remain the only installment on a less powerful system than its predecessor.

I don't enjoy talking cuts, and that's why I'm not interested in "next game" speculation, but those are my two cents. I will not be following this up or answering questions. :p

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Idk if anyone has posted this already, but Nintendo Life did an interview with Suda51 about No More Heroes, with a couple other questions thrown in about some Nintendo stuff. He goes over the state of the series now that No More Heroes III is out, and mentions how much creative freedom Grasshopper Manufacture got from Marvelous when making Travis Strikes Again and NMH3.

He was asked about Smash, and whether he thought Travis could be faithfully represented as a full-fledged fighter sometime down the line. Suda said that if Travis were to get in, it'd probably be the next iteration of Smash, and that he trusts Sakurai and the team to faithfully represent him even if they have to change up his dialogue to something a bit more family-friendly lol. It isn't really relevant to CP11 speculation since Travis already got Mii'd & spirit evented, but I still like hearing about Suda & Sakurai's friendship.

Suda also half-jokingly said he'd want to try his hand at developing a Zelda game, and I kind of want to see what insanity that man would bring into the franchise...

(His serious answer to what Nintendo IP he'd want to give for a spin was a revival of The Mysterious Murasame Castle, which would also be really cool to see.)

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Idk if anyone has posted this already, but Nintendo Life did an interview with Suda51 about No More Heroes, with a couple other questions thrown in about some Nintendo stuff. He goes over the state of the series now that No More Heroes III is out, and mentions how much creative freedom Grasshopper Manufacture got from Marvelous when making Travis Strikes Again and NMH3.

He was asked about Smash, and whether he thought Travis could be faithfully represented as a full-fledged fighter sometime down the line. Suda said that if Travis were to get in, it'd probably be the next iteration of Smash, and that he trusts Sakurai and the team to faithfully represent him even if they have to change up his dialogue to something a bit more family-friendly lol. It isn't really relevant to CP11 speculation since Travis already got Mii'd & spirit evented, but I still like hearing about Suda & Sakurai's friendship.

Suda also half-jokingly said he'd want to try his hand at developing a Zelda game, and I kind of want to see what insanity that man would bring into the franchise...

(His serious answer to what Nintendo IP he'd want to give for a spin was a revival of The Mysterious Murasame Castle, which would also be really cool to see.)
A Suda zelda game would be crazy, im in

MattX20

Smash Hero

That sounds a lot more fun than Breath of the Wild to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom