• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
What's remarkable to me is that there's not a lot of extenuating circumstances to absolve Sega of this fiasco with Colors Ultimate. It's a well regarded 10-year-old Wii game that they just needed to give some upgrades... and because of their constant stinginess and refusal to invest in the franchise proper, they managed to screw it up.

To put this into perspective, CD Projekt Red managed to put out a stable and decent looking version of the Witcher 3 on Switch, despite that game being much newer and far more demanding than Colors. Meaning that in terms of competent and clean ports for a weaker console like the Switch, Sega as a company was outdone by the same studio that put out Cyberpunk 2077.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Imagine:

Doctor Eggman is FP11, being the villain that hijacks the game at the very end.

But in doing so... Sonic Colors Ultimate is immortalized in Smash via stage or whatever
gotta find it funny how colours started what the sonic fans call these days, the meta era and is about to end the meta era due to its absolute abomination. It’s kinda poetic.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What's remarkable to me is that there's not a lot of extenuating circumstances to absolve Sega of this fiasco with Colors Ultimate. It's a well regarded 10-year-old Wii game that they just needed to give some upgrades... and because of their constant stinginess and refusal to invest in the franchise proper, they managed to screw it up.

To put this into perspective, CD Projekt Red managed to put out a stable and decent looking version of the Witcher 3 on Switch, despite that game being much newer and far more demanding than Colors. Meaning that in terms of competent and clean ports for a weaker console like the Switch, Sega as a company was outdone by the same studio that put out Cyberpunk 2077.
I think it’s more Blind Squirrel Games’s fault. The guys that did the port?

apparently they’re the reason we no longer get WWE games on switch - the WWE 2K18 port was… well… look it up yourself

AND they didn’t credit the open source engine they used for Colors Ultimate

needless to say nobody’s gonna ask them to port a game again, and with a name like theirs too

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think it’s more Blind Squirrel Games’s fault. The guys that did the port?

apparently they’re the reason we no longer get WWE games on switch - the WWE 2K18 port was… well… look it up yourself

AND they didn’t credit the open source engine they used for Colors Ultimate

needless to say nobody’s gonna ask them to port a game again, and with a name like theirs too
Even still, given the fiasco that happened with Sonic Boom and the major rush to get 06 on the shelves, it does get to a point where one has to wonder about Sega's lack of quality control especially when it comes to releasing games when they're clearly not ready.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Even still, given the fiasco that happened with Sonic Boom and the major rush to get 06 on the shelves, it does get to a point where one has to wonder about Sega's lack of quality control especially when it comes to releasing games when they're clearly not ready.
Then again, the quality control really isn't their fault. The fans just keep on rushing them.

gotta find it funny how colours started what the sonic fans call these days, the meta era and is about to end the meta era due to its absolute abomination. It’s kinda poetic.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I'm sorry... trill? Like the sound you make on a clarinet directly into someone's ear when you want to annoy them?

What, you didn't do that? I did.... bully deserved it too.
Trill or nah. Sorry old habits. But I am actually a pianist and love trills. Also a star trek junkie and love hot trills. But this was neither haha some memes are better kept in the memories of the internet old and left there to turn to dust.

Tldr I agree with you ☺

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I'm curious, if push comes to shove, would Nintendo be open to buying Sonic from Sega? I can see a metric ton of perks for such a financial decision;
  • Increased quality control and no set deadlines for a safe, streamlined development time
  • More crossover opportunities, such as more content in Smash Bros.
  • Potentially an official crossover with Mario
  • No more mandates forced onto the development teams

Before you bark at me, I already know of possible negatives;
  • Full-scale extermination of the fan-game scene
  • A dramatic plummet in non-game media
  • No more Sega-themed references and Easter eggs

What would you lot think?

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Whats up with the pink names? Is it a new role or Premium Membership thing?
I'm curious, if push comes to shove, would Nintendo be open to buying Sonic from Sega? I can see a metric ton of perks for such a financial decision;
  • Increased quality control and no set deadlines for a safe, streamlined development time

I could definitely see Nintendo wanting to buy Sonic, but I don’t see a single scenario in which Sega is willing to sell. He is the face of the whole company.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Also, no offense but... you didn't answer my question yet.
Uhh, you'll have to remind me what that was because I don't remember.

No. That's ridiculous.
Sonic is more than a game series, it's a multi-media IP.
If they sell the IP, no matter how much money they make in the short term, it won't be worth it because they're giving off all FUTURE potential games, branding, merchandise, etc not to mention how much of Sega's image is formed from Sonic. Short of Sega catastrophically going bankrupt, that's out of the question.

At the very most, you'll see Sega allowing Nintendo to work on and/or publish some Sonic games, but that's the extent of it.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

If who pushed what? Or like Why would Nintendo need sonic? Or is it Sega needs to sell him to stay in business you mean?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Whats up with the pink names? Is it a new role or Premium Membership thing?
It shows you have been infected by the Prank virus. The premium members, gathering during their Happy Happiest cult activities, go from painting the world blue to turning the non-premium users here pink/purple.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Nintendo need to treat some of their own in-house IPs better before even considering adding more to what they already got.
Especially when it'd be another platformer series when they have Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid and Wario Land sitting around.

Then again, the quality control really isn't their fault. The fans just keep on rushing them.
Quality Control is absolutely 100% on Sega. It's their own IP and they put out **** like this "remaster"
You don't get to blame fans on this when they just want Sonic to not be woefully inconsistent at best.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
If who pushed what? Or like Why would Nintendo need sonic? Or is it Sega needs to sell him to stay in business you mean?
I'll answer these in reverse order;
3. Not so much to stay in business so much as it is to save their own hides from the ever-growing stigma of being incompetent with their own mascot.
2. Nintendo seems to be the most likely to snatch him up in the event that such ever comes to pass. They've published a handful of Sonic games in Japan, plus he's had tons of Nintendo releases and crossovers ever since Sega waved the white flag in the Console War, so it just seems kind of fitting to me.
1. "When push comes to shove" is a figure of speech, meaning a situation has reached such a critical status that something absolutely has to be done. I pepper my words with fancy talk like that every so often.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Uhh, you'll have to remind me what that was because I don't remember.
Here's the link to it: I think I took you saying "anime swordfighter" to a literal context...

...Yeah, I don't think they'd be open to it. Sega's pretty much the antithesis to Nintendo as Captain Falcon is to Blood Falcon.

I did not miss the opportunity to make a CPU Championship Series reference.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Here's the link to it: I think I took you saying "anime swordfighter" to a literal context...

...Yeah, I don't think they'd be open to it. Sega's pretty much the antithesis to Nintendo as Captain Falcon is to Blood Falcon.

I did not miss the opportunity to make a CPU Championship Series reference.
Well, actually I meant "anime" in the context of "anime style video game characters"
Sad to say my knowledge of actual anime characters, especially Yugioh is sorely lacking.
That said, always appreciate dragonrider girls. That's a cool aesthetic.

SKX31

Smash Master
Nintendo need to treat some of their own in-house IPs better before even considering adding more to what they already got.
Especially when it'd be another platformer series when they have Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid and Wario Land sitting around.

Quality Control is absolutely 100% on Sega. It's their own IP and they put out **** like this "remaster"
You don't get to blame fans on this when they just want Sonic to not be woefully inconsistent at best.
What's even crazier is that a lot of Sega's other franchises have - AFAIK - relatively consistent quality control. Yes, franchises like Persona, Total War and Football Manager are developed and managed by rather independent subsidiaries of theirs (ATLUS + UK-based Creative Assembly and Sports Interactive, respectively), but still IIRC neither Yakuza nor Puyo Puyo suffer from the same inconsistency issues (please correct me if I'm wrong). It begs the question as to what's been going on within Sonic Team.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Part of if is that Sonic falls into the category of being too valuable for Sega to not have it on the spotlight via releases, but it's not considered as lucrative to strongly put resources in as it once was. Especially with the traditional portable market disappearing after the 3DS, it's an IP that's been reduced to either mobile games or console releases that (Mania aside) don't seem to be the product of heavy investment. Forces was in development for four years, but occasional nice lighting aside, you could be forgiven for assuming it took much less time.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I'll answer these in reverse order;
3. Not so much to stay in business so much as it is to save their own hides from the ever-growing stigma of being incompetent with their own mascot.

Gotcha. I personally have no viewpoint on their competence since dropping out of consoles to me was their death knell and beside dreamcast exclusives and AM2 didn't have any stake in their IPs.

But he was just in a movie which I still haven't seen but want to so if he had a new game that interested me I'd consider it a system seller just like Mario but obviously to a smaller audience.

2. Nintendo seems to be the most likely to snatch him up in the event that such ever comes to pass. They've published a handful of Sonic games in Japan, plus he's had tons of Nintendo releases and crossovers ever since Sega waved the white flag in the Console War, so it just seems kind of fitting to me.

Hm. This is a tough call honestly. Business in Japan is essentially the same as in NYC but I've watched over the years IPs vanish because nope our **** gtfo. So who knows I guess but I absolutely believe Nintendo would bail Sega out to save the ip but probably by buying Sega.

1. "When push comes to shove" is a figure of speech, meaning a situation has reached such a critical status that something absolutely has to be done. I pepper my words with fancy talk like that every so often.

Lol yeah I got that. So cool yeh Nintendo could be the hero as I feel as if Nintendo reps him more but I'm biased due to having only Nintendo consoles and handheld... My ps1 2 and 3 are not hooked up and we skipped 4....yeah..

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What's even crazier is that a lot of Sega's other franchises have - AFAIK - relatively consistent quality control. Yes, franchises like Persona, Total War and Football Manager are developed and managed by rather independent subsidiaries of theirs (ATLUS + UK-based Creative Assembly and Sports Interactive, respectively), but still IIRC neither Yakuza nor Puyo Puyo suffer from the same inconsistency issues (please correct me if I'm wrong). It begs the question as to what's been going on within Sonic Team.
Well, this game wasn't made by Sonic team but....

I think its mostly due to burnout.

Back when Sonic team was allowed to make other games, Sonic games were designed better. But since like... ten years ago, they've really only been doing Sonic games.

Games like Lost World which were highly experimental on a level to level basis make me think Sonic Team is dying to try something that isn't Sonic.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

This might be reaching, so bare with me on this, but the only reason I can see that Nintendo would want to buy Sonic would be if they really, really, REALLY wanted to keep him in Smash. Anybody else could potentially complicate things, depending on who it is.

But again, reaching.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Forces was in development for four years, but occasional nice lighting aside, you could be forgiven for assuming it took much less time.
Well that's because most of that time was developing the new engine.

The engine is nice, I'll give them that, but they didn't have enough time to do much with it.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
This might be reaching, so bare with me on this, but the only reason I can see that Nintendo would want to buy Sonic would be if they really, really, REALLY wanted to keep him in Smash. Anybody else could potentially complicate things, depending on who it is.

But again, reaching.
Is it confirmed that Nintendo has to renegotiate his inclusion?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Well, actually I meant "anime" in the context of "anime style video game characters"
Sad to say my knowledge of actual anime characters, especially Yugioh is sorely lacking.
That said, always appreciate dragonrider girls. That's a cool aesthetic.

Elincia_PoR_copy_792x683.png

200w.gif

I mean, they have to every game.

They can't just magically use Sonic when they feel like it.
I was thinking maybe he was purchased for smash 4 and ultimate... For next game I'd expect it just wasn't sold on it 100 percent he wasn't already a lock once he returned from brawl.

Edit
Noooooo
Sorry ramen pls compact

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I was thinking maybe he was purchased for smash 4 and ultimate... For next game I'd expect it just wasn't sold on it 100 percent he wasn't already a lock once he returned from brawl.

Edit
Noooooo
Sorry ramen pls compact
Bruh, you're a mod.

You can do that.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Everyone talking about how many anime sword fighters there are / should be…remember when 50% of smash’s roster were non human characters? And of the 6 humans, 3 were toony and not realistically proportioned? Good times haha

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Back when Sonic team was allowed to make other games,
It's not really that they're "forbidden" from making non-Sonic games, it's that games are taking too many resources to develop now so Sonic Team doesn't have time to make anything aside from Puyo and Sonic

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, the only way another company acquires Sonic is if they also acquire Sega.

Though, honestly, in both the extremely hypothetical situation Sega opted to sell Sonic, and the less hypothetical but still hypothetical situation in which Sega was acquired, I don't see Nintendo getting involved. Obviously of all the companies other than Sega, the natural fit for Sonic is under Nintendo. But it's not Nintendo's style to acquire IP. The only one I can even think of is Fatal Frame, and now that's back to being multiplat anyway. Nor have they ever made any motions whatsoever to suggest acquiring a company as big as Sega. Their acquisitions are usually spurred by extenuating circumstances rather than purposeful growth, anyway. And they have a history of jettisoning some of their partners like Rare and Alphadream.

I think we can agree that Sega probably fits best with Nintendo, of all the companies that could acquire them. But they're pretty much also the last company that would, imo.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
This twitter thread's worth a read. Someone predicted that Sonic Colors Ultimate would be a trash fire a month in advance and they attribute a lot of it to Sega pushing unfeasible requirements on devs.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Blind Squirrel games apparently have a decent track record when they're not handling Switch ports, for what it's worth.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Yeah, the only way another company acquires Sonic is if they also acquire Sega.

Though, honestly, in both the extremely hypothetical situation Sega opted to sell Sonic, and the less hypothetical but still hypothetical situation in which Sega was acquired, I don't see Nintendo getting involved. Obviously of all the companies other than Sega, the natural fit for Sonic is under Nintendo. But it's not Nintendo's style to acquire IP. The only one I can even think of is Fatal Frame, and now that's back to being multiplat anyway. Nor have they ever made any motions whatsoever to suggest acquiring a company as big as Sega. Their acquisitions are usually spurred by extenuating circumstances rather than purposeful growth, anyway. And they have a history of jettisoning some of their partners like Rare and Alphadream.

I think we can agree that Sega probably fits best with Nintendo, of all the companies that could acquire them. But they're pretty much also the last company that would, imo.
If Nintendo buys Sega, what happens to Atlus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom