• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm still hoping they'll add some way to play as Master Hand outside of WoL.
Even if he's just like some gimmick easter egg character. Its such a shame that they made a playable Master Hand and we can only use him in one little tiny fraction of the game.
The problem isn't that so much as you can't replay that bit. I don't mind a watered-down Master Hand. He was fun. But... seriously, I gotta go through all that otherwise? D:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
The Internet is really big, dudes. I don't see the point in speculating what a "disappointing" last reveal will be when the thousands and thousands of fans online will undoubtably have some who have all their wishes come true and some who take it as a major betrayal. Not even sure if there will be major differences in numbers between those two.

Baba

Smash Journeyman
The problem isn't that so much as you can't replay that bit. I don't mind a watered-down Master Hand. He was fun. But... seriously, I gotta go through all that otherwise? D:
Agreed. Just let people select him in regular matches, or give him his own mode or something. He wouldn't need to be taken seriously as a "real" character. It'd just be fun to goof around with.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The Internet is really big, dudes. I don't see the point in speculating what a "disappointing" last reveal will be when the thousands and thousands of fans online will undoubtably have some who have all their wishes come true and some who take it as a major betrayal. Not even sure if there will be major differences in numbers between those two.
Just my observation, but I think after Byleth there's been a strong inclination by some fans to not let themselves get too hyped up at certain points; now especially given that yet another pass is ending. A lot of players do not want to be taken off guard by a logical (yet unspectacular) first party choice again, thus you have people readying themselves for a lot of potential low-key conclusions, so their worst reaction will be closer to an apathetic shrug rather than angry frustration.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Agreed. Just let people select him in regular matches, or give him his own mode or something. He wouldn't need to be taken seriously as a "real" character. It'd just be fun to goof around with.
We have Century Smash right there. Come onnnnnnnn.

At least Boss Mode counts as a new mode(which we were told new modes were done. Updates to existing ones, though...)

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Gotta say. Since we’re missing a gunner tournament and a sword tournament, what fighters wield both and brings in a whole unique gimmick that’s not been done yet in smash.

Shroob

Sup?
I think there are some first party characters that would garner excitement.
Nobody ever mentions Tabuu but I think he'd be such an insanely cool final addition to the game. It'd be very nostalgic to a lot of people and would be awesome to see Smash get its own rep. Plus he could come with Primid mii costumes or something.
Erhhh, I kinda disagree tbh.

Tabuu would be cool to people who love Subspace, but other than that? I never cared for Subspace, and found Tabuu to be wholly unmemorable to be blunt. He was just a weird, naked butterfly man who had zero buildup or lore as to what he was.

Aside from Master Hand, Crazy Hand, and like, Giga Bowser, I've always found the "Smash original" characters to be fairly uninspiring. Galeem and Dharkon being peak examples of this.

Theguy123

Smash Lord

Tabuu would be cool to people who love Subspace, but other than that? I never cared for Subspace, and found Tabuu to be wholly unmemorable to be blunt. He was just a weird, naked butterfly man who had zero buildup or lore as to what he was.

Aside from Master Hand, Crazy Hand, and like, Giga Bowser, I've always found the "Smash original" characters to be fairly uninspiring. Galeem and Dharkon being peak examples of this.
dharkon looks like he was ripped straight out of shadow the hedgehog in my opinion. Wish he was designed a bit better so I wouldn’t have to make that statement or even think about it.

Baba

Smash Journeyman

That's fair. I just have very fond memories of SSE which probably make me a little biased.

I do think a primid mii costume is a no-brainer though.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
We have Century Smash right there. Come onnnnnnnn.

At least Boss Mode counts as a new mode(which we were told new modes were done. Updates to existing ones, though...)
updates to existing ones
would uh

would the possession auras of Galeem and Dharkon/the full body clone effects of each outside of WoL count? I don’t care, I WANT IT EVER SINCE I SAW HERO’S TRAILER

and let us use either one on Kirby and the DLC too and even use the opposite alignment effect (I.e. Richter, who’s canonically in the Dark Realm, can be given the Light Realm effects if you want)

plllllssssss I heckin neeeeed this 🥺

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

Gotta disagree with Galeem & Dharkon, I think they're a upgrade over Tabuu in many way, even if their design is quite simple/cliched in a way, their animation & attack really make them stand out. Plus you know, Galeem pullin' that Thanos on everyone. Yea Tabuu kinda did, but Galeem pulled it up to TRILLION.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Even as someone who adores World of Light, I hate how you have to play through all of World of Light to get to a lot of great moments like playing as Master Hand or a boss rush.

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
So while we wait for the direct announcement in a few days, I'm going to list my 5 characters that could be the final fighter. Feel free to share your 5 characters that could be the final fighter.
Doomslayer
Crash
Rayman
Dr. Eggman
Master Chief
Phoenix Wright
Arle Nadja
Bill Rizer
Amaterasu
Master Chief

Honorable mentions to Saber and the Falcom bois

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Anyway, the last few pages show decently well why I have been coming less.
I went to the trouble of relating this exact AT conversation to the exact philosophical principal to which it relates.
A solid argument based on real world intelligence that is completely applicable to the scenario.
Perhaps my logic is wrong, I'm willing to admit it is a possibility.

But- either too many people have me blocked, or did not comprehend, or- what I think is most likely- just believe what they want to believe and don't actually give a damn about that thought being challenged by the internet. And thus, the same nonsense argument comes about where people just scream at each other and give unnecessary and superfluous examples as to why they are correct, even sometimes placating this by saying it is 'opinion,' as if that alone takes away logical fallacy or invalidates any attempt being made to challenge the belief. I come from a scholarly world where a lack of ability to challenge a core belief is seen as ignorance, because if the belief exists in perpetuity, exists simply because it exists, then there is no point in conversation- and in fact, isn't conversation, it's just multiple sides talking at each other.

So, what's the point?

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
So while we wait for the direct announcement in a few days, I'm going to list my 5 characters that could be the final fighter. Feel free to share your 5 characters that could be the final fighter.
Doomslayer
Crash
Rayman
Dr. Eggman
Master Chief
Phantasy Star character
Master Chief
Reimu
Chosen Undead
Bill Rizer & Lance Bean

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Doomslayer
Crash
Rayman
Dr. Eggman
Master Chief
  • Missing Pokemon (not necessarily gen 4 or 8): There are a handful of actually iconic Pokemon that we have not gotten in Smash. I don't think TPC would inherently stick to needing the two-year-old generation to be the needed promotion, and Nintendo may want a Pokemon. Nintendo also seems to have had a good say in who they wanted, and since Pokemon = Money, they could have proposed a classic character.
  • Dixie Kong: Donkey Kong is a well beloved franchise, possible new game, highly wanted character, old character with work done which we never got.
  • Rhythm Heaven Character: Quirky character, big series, and I think there was merit to the Gematsu leak.
  • Rayman: Huge partnership, and big reasons to believe Rayman was going to make it in before.
  • Dragaux: If Nintendo in any way foresaw that Ring Fit Could be big, or even simply wanted to make sure it would be so with a Smash push. (I can get more into why Dragaux specifically, but that's for another time).
  • Scorpion: Hopeful. Only big Fighting Game (from a top 3 tier, top 3 being wide margins in media franchise and monetary profit), allegedly Sakurai went to meet with NR studios.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Doomslayer
Crash
Rayman
Dr. Eggman
Master Chief
Adol
Arle
Reimu
Eggman
Bill Rizer / Lance Bean

(LoL rep is a honorable mention, I consider that a still-existing wildcard partly due to that franchise having an upcoming multiplat - incl. Switch - RPG.)

SNEKeater

Smash Master
They mention Ys IX there. That's it, Adol is CP11.

Byleth had a legit reason to be added to the game though. Fire Emblem has relied almost soley on Smash for it's growth, they want the series to be bigger so they are gonna keep adding characters.
Okay this is just false.
If that was the case the GBA FE games, the Tellius games and the remakes of Marth games on the Nintendo DS would have sold quite well. But that wasn't the case, those games overall sold poorly, I think the GBA games were the ones that performed better but that's it. To the point that they decided to not localize FE12 (the second remake of Marth's story) outside of Japan.

Fire Emblem started doing better when Nintendo decided to actually promote the series. Which happened with Fire Emblem Awakening on 3DS, who basically saved the series and by the time we got Lucina and Robin in Smash 4 2 years passed between Awakening and their inclusion, so there's no way Smash helped Awakening sales in a significant way.

Smash exposure definitely helps, but it has never been the main reason for the growth of a series already present in Smash.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
Doomslayer
Crash
Rayman
Dr. Eggman
Master Chief
Frisk or Papyrus
Reimu
Tabuu
Arle
An FPS rep (Master Chief, Doom Slayer, Heavy, Gordon Freeman)

Honorable mention to Quote, who I think is a bit slept on but probably still isn't as likely as the five above.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Doomslayer
Crash
Rayman
Dr. Eggman
Master Chief
Here we go…
A new Pokémon (not limiting it to Gen 8 here)
A new Capcom rep
The Slayer (Doom, in case there’s another Slayer I don’t know of)
Waddle Dee (not Bandana, just a regular Waddle Dee (maybe as an alt?))
Asuka (What? I can be biased in favor of my favorite franchises, too)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
would uh

would the possession auras of Galeem and Dharkon/the full body clone effects of each outside of WoL count? I don’t care, I WANT IT EVER SINCE I SAW HERO’S TRAILER

and let us use either one on Kirby and the DLC too and even use the opposite alignment effect (I.e. Richter, who’s canonically in the Dark Realm, can be given the Light Realm effects if you want)

plllllssssss I heckin neeeeed this 🥺
What I mean is we don't have a properly playable boss rush outside of Sephiroth's Classic Mode. An an actual Boss Rush mode would be a new mode altogether. Though if you added it to Century Smash(the mode in general), perhaps it could count as an "update". Either way, please let us fight against the other bosses again, or at least some without going through some weird hoops. Dharkon and Galeem are cool fights on their own. Doing all that platforming? Not so cool.

That said, since we're talking about cool bosses, being able to swap between Crazy and Master Hands ala Pyra and Mythra(meaning semi-clones) would be fun. Giga Bowser would also make for a great semi-clone(or regular clone. I forget if his moveset is still like Melee/Brawl's or like the Smash 4 Giga Bowser Final Smash was or if his moveset is closer to Smash 4/Ultimate Bowser. If it's the former, he'd make for a great DLC character. If the latter, ehhhhhhh. It doesn't add nearly as much other than a fun boss character at best).

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If we get a Smash-original character, then I will personally be hyped for Primid or Sandbag.
Doomslayer
Crash
Rayman
Dr. Eggman
Master Chief
-Waluigi
-Isaac (Binding of Isaac)
-Reimu
-Primid
-Frisk/Chara

I want to put Porky or Gengar over one of them but I’m not sure if this is supposed to be realistic or not (although I guess a few of my picks aren’t realistic anyway).

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Byleth had a legit reason to be added to the game though. Fire Emblem has relied almost soley on Smash for it's growth, they want the series to be bigger so they are gonna keep adding characters.
Okay this is just false.
If that was the case the GBA FE games, the Tellius games and the remakes of Marth games on the Nintendo DS would have sold quite well. But that wasn't the case, those games overall sold poorly, I think the GBA games were the ones that performed better but that's it. To the point that they decided to not localize FE12 (the second remake of Marth's story) outside of Japan.

Fire Emblem started doing better when Nintendo decided to actually promote the series. Which happened with Fire Emblem Awakening on 3DS, who basically saved the series and by the time we got Lucina and Robin in Smash 4 2 years passed between Awakening and their inclusion, so there's no way Smash helped Awakening sales in a significant way.

Smash exposure definitely helps, but it has never been the main reason for the growth of a series already present in Smash.
Me... sitting here doubting that promoting Fire Emblem for the 8th time is even a legitimate promotion at all. Anyone who plays Smash knows what Fire Emblem is, and only two of the cast of 8 stand out enough to say, "wow, this character could be be from a completely unique game!"

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
They mention Ys IX there. That's it, Adol is CP11.

Okay this is just false.

Yeah the GBA titles did over a million, Ike's games are among the worst selling in the series whilst Shadow Dragon did mediocre.

DittoInDisguise

Smash Apprentice
Doomslayer
Crash
Rayman
Dr. Eggman
Master Chief
King Boo
Ayumi
Waluigi
Ashley
Pokemon (probably a gen 4)

Not the most exciting list, but i feel the last char will be a 1st party (probably with a recent release). Happy to be wrong though.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Hey man
SSf2 made Sandbag work

Imagine what Sakurai could do with him

Also TRACERS SUCH A DARK HORSE FOR POTENTIAL FPS CHARACTERS THATS ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY
Imo at least lol

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Doomslayer
Crash
Rayman
Dr. Eggman
Master Chief
My only question is this; do they need to actually be realistic entirely, or is wishlist fine too? I presume just the former, though.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Anyway, the last few pages show decently well why I have been coming less.
I went to the trouble of relating this exact AT conversation to the exact philosophical principal to which it relates.
A solid argument based on real world intelligence that is completely applicable to the scenario.
Perhaps my logic is wrong, I'm willing to admit it is a possibility.

But- either too many people have me blocked, or did not comprehend, or- what I think is most likely- just believe what they want to believe and don't actually give a damn about that thought being challenged by the internet. And thus, the same nonsense argument comes about where people just scream at each other and give unnecessary and superfluous examples as to why they are correct, even sometimes placating this by saying it is 'opinion,' as if that alone takes away logical fallacy or invalidates any attempt being made to challenge the belief. I come from a scholarly world where a lack of ability to challenge a core belief is seen as ignorance, because if the belief exists in perpetuity, exists simply because it exists, then there is no point in conversation- and in fact, isn't conversation, it's just multiple sides talking at each other.

So, what's the point?
You may have liked the old debate hall lol.

This topic in particular (speculation) garners many people who have varying degrees of experience in real world applications, and communications vary widely - from sardonic to up beat, matter of fact to super wishy washy, terse, verbose, banal, anal, and all in between...

It's.. Par for the course, no? But I get it.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I’m soo caught up in speculation for the last character to the point where at this point I just wanna know if M theory was legit or not.
Doomslayer
Crash
Rayman
Dr. Eggman
Master Chief
My 5 that I feel could be the final spot is

layton
King boo
Phantasy star
Ryu hayabua
Arle

my opinions are divided a bit because we don’t know if M theory was legit or not. If M theory was legit and it’s not for tekken or anything currently in smash then I’m gonna say phantasy star is gonna take the spot. If M theory isn’t legit then I’m gonna say Layton or arle since I feel the puzzle genre is finally gonna get some love

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Doomslayer
Crash
Rayman
Dr. Eggman
Master Chief
Akira Howard
Frisk
Nahobino
Resident Evil rep
Waluigi

Honorable Mentions: Rayman, Rhythm Heaven rep, Ryu Hayabusa

Last edited: