• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Coming up with an original moveset for Phoenix sounds like a fun challenge. I probably couldn't do it by myself since I'm not very creative nor well versed in game design and whatnot, but it can definitely be done.
That being said, I've seen concepts that have him use Apollo's bracelet and Athena's Mood Matrix and I'm... not a fan of that idea at all.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
We're not getting a 1st party promotion as the last fighter. There's a 0% chance of that happening. Anyone who's expecting them to give us another at the end after we've already gotten 2 in this pass, which is more than FP1 is delusional.

So Champions and Pokemon aren't happening. And especially champions, what a dumb prediction that is in the first place.
So our last fighter will be third party then.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
So our last fighter will be third party then.
Third party or a first party that doesn't promote a specific title. Considering we just got Kazuya and Steve, I don't expect another big crossover. Probably just a first party added for non promotional reasons.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
We're not getting a 1st party promotion as the last fighter. There's a 0% chance of that happening. Anyone who's expecting them to give us another at the end after we've already gotten 2 in this pass, which is more than FP1 is delusional.

So Champions and Pokemon aren't happening. And especially champions, what a dumb prediction that is in the first place.
The question is what's stopping them from putting more?
Like seriously, you're actively insulting people and yet you refuse to elaborate on your logic. It feels like you're saying "they can't add another promotional first party because I said so"

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Any reason you feel strong about the last character not being a shill pick?
Because I don't feel like there's any characters that still need to be shilled at this point, and we've already gotten 2 (which is a lot) it just seems like a horrible idea to end the pass on another 1st party promotion at this point, which is why people expect it but doesn't seem like great reasoning to me.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I try to avoid that if possible (it's probably a reason why I have trouble getting into older Fire Emblem games - I don't want characters to die, and I don't want to be constantly resetting the game whenever random archer C gets a critical hit and kills someone), but I'll keep that in mind and give it another shot.

When it comes to Smash speculation, I'm not really sure how Phoenix Wright would work as a playable character, since his Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 playstyle wouldn't really work in Smash due to the much larger stages. (people who play as him would hate that they have to rely entirely on randomness for him to be effective, while people who play against him would be annoyed by him running away in order to find a safe place to gather evidence, and then running elsewhere when the other character gets close) Though I'm open to ideas.
Save and reloading is the core mechanic of Ace Attorney

SKX31

Smash Master
I consider the 5 month issue there to be related to the pandemic rather than just something they decided to do. By that point, everything was being pushed back and even in Japan, work structure had to change.
I could see that being a reason, but back in the Direct Mini the announcer stated that:

"This fighter is a bit unusual thanks to those extendable ARMS, so we'll have to extend the development time too."

Something Sakurai later reiterated during the Presents. So I'm willing to say that that was also a major contributing factor, and why I could see a pretty unlikely-but-still-plausible scenario where they have to delay and thus we wind up with those 5 months.

Again, I'm reiterating that that scenario is very unlikely - I meant that as in "prepare for the worst". Not only would it require that CP11 is unconventional as all hell; but also - now that I think about it - it's certainly possible that while they developed Min Min they also laid the groundwork for :ultsteve: and were also busy with redesigning all the stages. Contrast with now, when they only need to worry about one fighter presumably - CP11, And such a delay would also probably require something happening with the personell, whether another COVID outbreak or something else.

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
The question is what's stopping them from putting more?

The exact thing stopping them from putting more is it would make people mad and it isn't at all necessary. They already gave a boost to 2 small titles (Xenoblade and ARMS) and gave them more premise for the future. That's enough, they don't need to put in a Pokemon or someone from Zelda just to shill a big franchise because "it's not in the game yet, so why not shill it"

This is the last fighter to ever come to the game, they aren't gonna waste it on someone that doesn't need it or serves any benefit to them whatsoever.

Last edited:

Baba

Smash Journeyman
Literally nobody knows who the final character is and there's absolutely zero way to predict it.
I feel like people overlook the insanity of getting a generic piranha plant as a character- nobody on earth predicted that. ever.

We could get any character from any game, future, present, or retro. It could be a shill pick for Nintendo, it could be a shill pick for another company. People can guess and have their own opinions, but there's literally no rules aside from the character needing to be from a video game.

Its better to not make up any rules in your head because you could end up getting burned if they get broken.

Shroob

Sup?
They don't care about making people mad.

I'm not sure why you keep trying to tie emotions like hype or anger into these discussions when they're irrelevant. If they didn't want people to be upset, we wouldn't have gotten Byleth at the tail end of FP1 after 4 other 3rd parties, or Min Min to start FP2 over someone like Steve.

"Anger", "Hype" etc should be discarded when having discussions, because they're variable integers that cannot be accurately defined.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
The exact thing stopping them from putting more is it would make people mad and it isn't at all necessary. They already gave a boost to 2 small titles (Xenoblade and ARMS) and gave them more premise for the future. That's enough, they don't need to put in a Pokemon or someone from Zelda just to shill a big franchise because "it's not in the game yet, so why not shill it"
I think you're overestimating how much Nintendo cares about some 20+ year olds raging over a Pokémon showing up in their baby game that they're likely gonna buy anyway.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Literally nobody knows who the final character is and there's absolutely zero way to predict it.
I feel like people overlook the insanity of getting a generic piranha plant as a character- nobody on earth predicted that. ever.

I mean I don't know, but I have a pretty good idea. I'm not gonna mention it again because of the inevitable argument that will follow

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I just saw a video speculating on who the Fighters Pass 11 character could be.

It makes me a little concerned about FP11, to be honest. I realize that one person's opinion doesn't guarantee what is likely or not, but none of these choices jump out at me as being exciting or interesting. (one of the Champions could be neat - it would be great to have a new unique playable Zelda character in Smash after twenty years, but that unusually long period of time has me doubting that one of them will be the last character)

Out of the characters that were mentioned in the video, the only ones that interest me are one of the Champions, Amaterasu (who's only an honourable mention that's briefly shown), and some of the red herrings (who are only mentioned because he doesn't believe they're likely). I probably should look into Pokemon Sword/Shield, and I need to play Astral Chain or the Phoenix Wright games beyond the first one at some point, but if these are the front-runners, my hopes are pretty low for FP11.

(I'm not sure how later installments work for Phoenix Wright, but I found the first game frustrating since it seemed to require almost psychic knowledge of when to present certain items. It was obvious that certain items were going to be important, and sometimes, it was even clear how they were going to be important, but presenting what seemed to be the right item at what turned out to be the wrong time resulted in the game penalizing me because I presented a banana peel instead of a picture of a banana peel. This resulted in me using a guide for the last few missions so I didn't wind up losing because I didn't get the timing down for when to present certain items)
Del always just sticks to his guns which is commendable but he's boring as **** and last I checked, a hypocrite by saying "Character X is talked about a lot, this makes them more likely" and "Character Y is talked about a lot, but this is a red herring, do not be fooled by the brainwashed masses into thinking this means they're more likely!"

Also as an AA fan, the series can get stupidly obtuse, I've engraved 'T Bone Steak' into my brain because some of the answers are so bull**** that you need a guide or save scumming with JFA and T&T adding a mechanic that's just fake difficulty. That being said, please do swallow the Gamer pride and try them out, 4's mechanic doesn't penalize you, 5 and 6 let you retry where you were stuck on with full health if you game over and though GAA lacks that which would have been hell had I not known that considering how long those games are, there's a Story Mode where the game plays itself

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I could see that being a reason, but back in the Direct Mini the announcer stated that:

"This fighter is a bit unusual thanks to those extendable ARMS, so we'll have to extend the development time too."

Something Sakurai later reiterated during the Presents. So I'm willing to say that that was also a major contributing factor, and why I could see a pretty unlikely-but-still-plausible scenario where they have to delay and thus we wind up with those 5 months.

Again, I'm reiterating that that scenario is very unlikely - I meant that as in "prepare for the worst". Not only would it require that CP11 is unconventional as all hell; but also - now that I think about it - it's certainly possible that while they developed Min Min they also laid the groundwork for :ultsteve: and were also busy with redesigning all the stages. And such a delay would also probably require something happening with the personell, whether another COVID outbreak or something else.
I understand that. They also started using this on directs around that time:

I think Covid played a big impact in the whole world especially on stuff like videogames and I think was a also a contributing factor in the delay.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
If Mr. Smash Maker Man and his team can’t make Phoenix Wright work, I’m fine with him being a Mii costume. All I ask for is 2 things:

1. Include the Steel Samurai theme with him

2. Also make a Mii costume for his boyfriend homie Miles
You cant have Wright without his boyfrie-Best friend

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
They don't care about making people mad.

I'm not sure why you keep trying to tie emotions like hype or anger into these discussions when they're irrelevant. If they didn't want people to be upset, we wouldn't have gotten Byleth at the tail end of FP1 after 4 other 3rd parties, or Min Min to start FP2 over someone like Steve.

"Anger", "Hype" etc should be discarded when having discussions, because they're variable integers that cannot be accurately defined.

Byleth had a legit reason to be added to the game though. Fire Emblem has relied almost soley on Smash for it's growth, they want the series to be bigger so they are gonna keep adding characters.

For Pokemon, the reasoning would just be, "let's add the 50th pokemon to this game just because a recent generation came out on Switch and it's not in the game yet"

You see the difference? One of these is shill for a reason, the other is shill just because "why not"

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I mean I don't know, but I have a pretty good idea. I'm not gonna mention it again because of the inevitable argument that will follow
You have a pretty good idea of you think it is. Not a pretty good idea of who it is.

Small change in wording but it makes a world of difference.

Shroob

Sup?
Byleth had a legit reason to be added to the game though. Fire Emblem has relied almost soley on Smash for it's growth, they want the series to be bigger so they are gonna keep adding characters.

For Pokemon, the reasoning would just be, "let's add the 50th pokemon to this game just because a recent generation came out on Switch and it's not in the game yet"

You see the difference? One of these is shill for a reason, the other is shill just because "why not"
And regardless of it being a legit reason or not, they weren't factoring things like "Anger" or "Hype" into their decisions.

MattX20

Smash Hero
If Mr. Smash Maker Man and his team can’t make Phoenix Wright work, I’m fine with him being a Mii costume. All I ask for is 2 things:

If Phoenix could be made to work in Marvel vs Capcom, they can make him work in Smash. That, and Isabelle's not canonically a fighter either, and she got to be playable in Ultimate

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
You have a pretty good idea of you think it is. Not a pretty good idea of who it is.

Small change in wording but it makes a world of difference.
No, that wording just makes it more confusing. I only really had a prediction for CP11. I never had any good idea of who the rest of them were.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
I cannot imagine playing AA without saving and loading. I sorely lack the mental capacity to get through those puzzles and keep my sanity without Saving and Reloading every 2 minutes.
I saved and reloaded whenever I saw a single green letter in Chronicles because that the "make a choice" moment. Got it wrong? "Lolo nope reload"

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
So while we wait for the direct announcement in a few days, I'm going to list my 5 characters that could be the final fighter. Feel free to share your 5 characters that could be the final fighter.
Doomslayer
Crash
Rayman
Dr. Eggman
Master Chief

Baba

Smash Journeyman
There's literally no reason to "worry" about them shilling Zelda because Link got retooled into his BotW incarnation anyway

Besides any of the Champions would be cool and I'd be up for Sidon or Hestu
IMO Zelda is still one of the series in Smash that has the worst representation.

Despite having 6 characters, the choices are incredibly uninteresting to me.
Three versions of Link, all with similar movesets. Toon Link and Young Link could have very interesting movesets based on WW and MM but they don't.
Two Zeldas which are each unique thankfully.
One Ganondorf who is still a semi-clone.

TLoZ is long overdue for a rep that isn't one of the triforce wielders. I'd be totally fine with the champions, skull kid, tingle, ganon, or anyone else.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
So while we wait for the direct announcement in a few days, I'm going to list my 5 characters that could be the final fighter. Feel free to share your 5 characters that could be the final fighter.
Doomslayer
Crash
Rayman
Dr. Eggman
Master Chief
Cinderace
Rillaboom
Inteleon
Toxtricity
Urshifu
Honorable mentions: a bunch of Pokémon most people would be upset at

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
I mean you can say Waluigi but that doesn't mean the logic behind your prediction is 100% ironclad and that everyone is gonna agree with it
I've explained my reasoning for it before. People disagree with it solely because Waluigi is an AT and that alone stops him from being in the game. So basically, their reasoning is way worse than mine.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Doomslayer
Crash
Rayman
Dr. Eggman
Master Chief
Arle Nadja
Phoenix Wright
Cinderace
Splatoon 2 rep(Octolings or Pearl & Marina)
Demi-Fiend

Honorable mentions to Saber and any Falcom rep between Adol, Estelle and Rean.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Doomslayer
Crash
Rayman
Dr. Eggman
Master Chief
The 5 fighters I'm looking at the most right now are Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, Arle, Professor Layton, and to a lesser extent Master Chief because of the Microsoft/Nintendo collab that's been hinted at for a while. Honorable mentions are Fulgore due to KI's history on Nintendo and a second Bandai Namco rep like Rick Taylor from Splatterhouse or Nightmare from Soul Calibur.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I've explained my reasoning for it before. People disagree with it solely because Waluigi is an AT and that alone stops him from being in the game.
I don't neccesarily agree but I think that's a perfectly valid argument.
I'm 100% sure it's gonna be a Pokémon, but many people think the spirit event disconfirms it. The difference is that I don't insult everyone just because they disagree with me

Shroob

Sup?
So, besides the GB/GBC murmurs from various sources, and the Monolith site maint the 8th, are there any other hints as to a Direct next week?

Considering it's Saturday, we really, really don't have long to wait to be sure, but was just curious if any other oddities had sprouted up.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804

I just need the final deduction theme from GAA2 and Godot's theme given an Arashi no Saxophone style remix

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Doomslayer
Crash
Rayman
Dr. Eggman
Master Chief
Splatoon 2 character (Octoling or Off the Hook)
Phoenix Wright
Neku Sakuraba (no NEO TWEWY spirit event is HELLA suspicious)
Arle Nadja (no Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 spirit event either)
Wildcard, cuz who the frick knows

Shroob

Sup?
Even though I don't buy into Tournament theory, it is a little odd that we've yet to have a swordfighter tournament despite how many swordfighters we've gotten.

It's most likely just a coincidence, but it is weird ngl, especially since we got the bare-handed one already iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom