• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staarih

Smash Master
But what if...The final fighter is perhaps Frisk?
Frisk or something else Undertale will highkey lowkey be my only "prediction" for the final character - might as well go for something unconventional cause it's gonna surprise us anyway.

For the final character, yes. But after the reveal, we need to talk about who will be in the final mii costume wave as a consolation prize.
And after all is said and done, I think discussion Smash-wise will venture towards "what will the next Smash game be" and I think that's a good point to yeet out as I sure ain't gonna argue about cuts and the like for an indefinite period of time.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
And that fact is we'll never know one way or another.

For all we know, Sakurai could think Assists do serve enough purpose to represent a character

I mean no. people just see it wrong. Every time Sakurai mentions an assist trophy he talks about it like it's a guest apperance for a character that couldn't be playable. Not a character he didn't want to add and not a character that could never be playable, just one that couldn't be playable at the time of development. We already had 2 promotions before.

Also considering Waluigi has been in this position for 3 games and 13 years, you'd think we'd reach a point where they no longer " serve enough of a purpose" to represent him.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
As the #1 fan of Dante when Idon isn't around here, Dante is definitely anime. Maybe not so much in terms of visuals, but he's always over the top and constantly does random nonsense ****.

I don't really see things like this in western made games. I understand that he looks more realistic in 5 but Dante is literally the definition of "crazy and over the top protagonist" in videogames, to the point I'd dare to say he became the template for that in videogames.

Also, as osby said, there are different types of anime, just like you can find different styles of western comics. Anime franchises such as Pokémon or Jojo's are completely different in terms of visuals.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Why did you post this completely irrelevant comment?
Call it a hunch I guess... I feel as if this next few weeks is going to be heavy with anticipation and subsequently a lot of disappointment... But maybe not. Many here have stayed they're either just ready for it to end, while others have said they already got their MW so the last fighter is just a bonus awesome, whoever it is.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Call it a hunch I guess... I feel as if this next few weeks is going to be heavy with anticipation and subsequently a lot of disappointment... But maybe not. Many here have stayed they're either just ready for it to end, while others have said they already got their MW so the last fighter is just a bonus awesome, whoever it is.

I think I've known for the last year who CP11 would be. I'm just waiting to see if I'm wrong or not. It's not a character that people ignore, they just never seriously consider.

Last edited:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Looking up how busted the Sonic Colors port is, I’m glad I didn’t preorder it. Its a shame, Colors was my first Sonic game and I was really looking forward to replaying it.

Its honestly baffling how SEGA thought thePort in its current state was releasable.
Honestly, the original console version was bad enough (due to the characterization it gave Sonic & Tails, the SHEER AMOUNT OF TERRIBLE PUNS, and of course the plot just going everywhere all at once). If you wanna replay Colors, I’d best stick to the DS version, because that at least plays like a Classic Sonic game. Sonic 3 & Knuckles to be more precise.

ryuryunonoroi

Smash Apprentice
Ah, there it is.

Seems like it's simply the leftover cut out scraps from the other three sections. I do wonder if there were any topics they opted not to air? I certainly caught a thing or two between the lines.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Ah, there it is.

Seems like it's simply the leftover cut out scraps from the other three sections. I do wonder if there were any topics they opted not to air? I certainly caught a thing or two between the lines.
Yeah.. I kind of got tired of this after the first episode. My big takeaway from the whole thing is that Sakurai drinks Coke Zero instead of water.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Honestly, the original console version was bad enough (due to the characterization it gave Sonic & Tails, the SHEER AMOUNT OF TERRIBLE PUNS, and of course the plot just going everywhere all at once). If you wanna replay Colors, I’d best stick to the DS version, because that at least plays like a Classic Sonic game. Sonic 3 & Knuckles to be more precise.
Strange, I don't remember having a boost or being able to instantly halt all momentum by letting go of the control stick in S3&K.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Hard disagree. The gameplay of Colors on Wii was genuinely fun, and there was a segment of the fanbase more than fine with the characterization and lighter plot. It's a mainline Sonic game without alternative gameplay I have no interest in (which is an accomplishment for this franchise) and the aesthetics are a joy to look at.

DS Colors is a solid title, but it is Rush with Wisp powers, so one's enjoyment will depend on your preferences with various 2D Sonic styles.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Tracer is an anime gun user. :troll:

All of the """""generic ANIMUH SWORDSMEEEEHN"""""" that we have basically almost invented their tropes, the biggest exemple being Cloud and Sephiroth, being literally MR.JRPG and MR.RPG BAD GUYS to the point of anyone after them, trying to mimic them, having such a big influence in pop-culture,that nowadays, they're being referenced with people who didn't even played their games.
I'd slightly disagree with the idea that Cloud invented the concept of spiky haired swordsmen in JRPGS as they have been around before, example being our good friend Butz from Final Fantasy 5. What Cloud did do was codify the concept itself to the point that spiky haired swordsmen are what people think of when they think of a stereotypical JRPG protagonist.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I have (10 of the 11 games in fact), but compared to other animes, it's positively restrained in color palletes by comparison. Pretty Cure for example is VERY BRIGHT
If your only other point of comparison is perhaps the girliest thing imaginable then that's probably not a very good comparison, it's like saying Black Clover is super unique when I compare it to Dirty Pair, they're too different for a comparison to make any sense.

Sidenote, the girly comment wasn't derogatory, just wanted to point that out and although I never saw an episode of Precure, this song ****ing slaps

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I have (10 of the 11 games in fact), but compared to other animes, it's positively restrained in color palletes by comparison. Pretty Cure for example is VERY BRIGHT
Is it though?
1D011C40-24E1-4F08-8063-FD643876E0FF.jpeg
AA can get pretty bright if it wants to. Besides, that isn’t really indicative of it being less anime. Theres tons of Anime with more subdued color schemes.

MattX20

Smash Hero
If your only other point of comparison is perhaps the girliest thing imaginable then that's probably not a very good comparison, it's like saying Black Clover is super unique when I compare it to Dirty Pair, they're too different for a comparison to make any sense.

Sidenote, the girly comment wasn't derogatory, just wanted to point that out and although I never saw an episode of Precure, this song ****ing slaps
I was saying that as just ONE example, there are plenty of others, but that would take a few hours

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Tracer is an anime gun user. :troll:

I'd slightly disagree with the idea that Cloud invented the concept of spiky haired swordsmen in JRPGS as they have been around before, example being our good friend Butz from Final Fantasy 5. What Cloud did do was codify the concept itself to the point that spiky haired swordsmen are what people think of when they think of a stereotypical JRPG protagonist.
The spikey haired anime swordsman goes back to Dragon Quest 3 at the very least but it was Cloud who codified them as being "deep", "mysterious" and "brooding". The irony being, that's not really Cloud at all, that's just the air he tries to give off.

SKX31

Smash Master
Tomorrow is supposedly the week that Ultimate's run and speculation comes to an end.

Man can't believe this went for three and a half years.
A year ago I thought my reaction to DLC ending would be "Wow... what a wild ride. It's a shame it had to end so soon."
However, it looks to be turning out to be... "Wow... what a wild ride. Thank god that's over."
In my opinion it also doesn’t help that each page has a meta-commentary lament of speculation about how tired everyone is of it. Self-fullfilling prophecy and all that jazz
I can't help but to wonder what would happen if the next Smash game turned out to be a live service game that recieved character updates for 5+ years...

On the other hand, the existing comments give a strong indication to what would happen in that scenario.

I don't really see things like this in western made games. I understand that he looks more realistic in 5 but Dante is literally the definition of "crazy and over the top protagonist" in videogames, to the point I'd dare to say he became the template for that in videogames.
TBF, while a lot of Western games have the reputation of being (relatively) straightforward and "Real is Brown", a lot of Western games have also rather crazy stuff. Bigfoot's a thing in GTA for instance, and games like CoD and Civilization VI have not shied away from side modes that include zombies.

I'm not trying to argue against your point here, it's just that the crazier stuff tends to be presented and work a bit different between Western-made and Japanese-made games - because oftentimes those crazier elements are leaning on specific influences during the creation process. This is not an iron-clad rule, by the by, games like Dark Souls (Japanese-made but lean heavily on Western fantasy for its imagery and relatively "realistic" gameplay) show that game developers can and oftentimes do take inspiration from non-native socio-cultural touchstones.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Thing is, there's plenty of anime where Nick would fit right in as a background character, he's anime as **** and that's a fact
I said slightly less anime-ish. I never denied that he does have some anime-ish aspects to his design. It's just compared to other character designs both in and out of Smash, he's comparatively more realistic hairstyle aside.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Wow. ten pages of content and it only has been a few hours since I was last here. :surprised:

To catch up to the topic at hand. I dont consider Dante to be western like character just like I dont consider High Guardian Spice an anime.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Aw, man. you guys don't know what you're missing out on. Precure is only the manliest of anime a pretty cool anime that can be enjoyed not just by young girls (its target audience), but even adults, too.

...Something Saban didn't get when they tried to "localize" it. Twice.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Aw, man. you guys don't know what you're missing out on. Precure is only the manliest of anime a pretty cool anime that can be enjoyed not just by young girls (its target audience), but even adults, too.

...Something Saban didn't get when they tried to "localize" it. Twice.
Considering the absolute ****ing boom that was My Little Pony, I don't doubt that, as a toku fan, Precure often got brought up due to it airing right before Kamen Rider and Super Sentai so I know of it and regularly see it on twitter but I haven't watched any anime in my own time since Vento Aureo's JP finale

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Nah fam, Strive had a feedback poll for the beta that asked for opinions on guest characters, get Vash in Strive first and I might tolerate the 30 second loading times lmao
Oh I remember that feedback poll. I actually suggested names such as Dante and 2B as a guests, tho I doubt they're going to ever add a guest character.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It's an odd thing in general because there's certain games that come as across as less... anime-y to people because they've been entrenched with certain genres/franchises and exist in people's minds as something separate from the more Eastern animation generalities one might otherwise have.

Wonder Boy is an interesting example, existing before the huge boom of anime in the 90s and associated with the era of cartoony platformers, yet still clearly having some hints of the design styles of its home country:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom