• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
As someone who been on this train since 2013, when Smash 4 was first revealed. I got to say, while i'm also kinda lookin' forward to Speculation ending more or less soon, since it has lost alot of it's joy & appeal to me, I can say that i'm glad I been here all the way. Yeah there was up & down and beside Pyra/Mythra & Ridley, I didn't got any characters I was very interested on a personal level in Ultimate, but I still ended up discovering alot of franchises thanks to Smash, Mega Man, Metroid, Metal Gear, Xenoblade, etc.. come to mind, and I own it to Smash Bros to make me curious who those weirdo were coming from. More importantly, I founded alot of great peoples thanks to Smash & Smash Speculation, even if I sometime disagree on some topic (for the few times I tried to get into it more seriously), I always liked the variety of topics & opinion we had while talking about certain characters, and the jokes too especially! It might have been madness past a certain point, but I would lying if I said it wasn't at the very least entertaining in some aspects. (tho yeah, don't get too heated over this kind of stuff, it's not worth it)

Once the last character is reveal, whatever happen next, I hope I can use this knowedelge I got to make some awesome stuff in the future, and I thank you folks for staying here til the end!

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Animation is a style that varies so much that the style is constantly in video games too.

So it doesn't really matter, because what matters(at least at this time. Who knows what'll happen in the future) is if it's a character from a video game franchise or not. Beyond that, why should it matter? Cloud having an anime-like aesthetic doesn't make him any less a video game character.

MattX20

Smash Hero
As someone who been on this train since 2013, when Smash 4 was first revealed. I got to say, while i'm also kinda lookin' forward to Speculation ending more or less soon, since it has lost alot of it's joy & appeal to me, I can say that i'm glad I been here all the way. Yeah there was up & down and beside Pyra/Mythra & Ridley, I didn't got any characters I was very interested on a personal level in Ultimate, but I still ended up discovering alot of franchises thanks to Smash, Mega Man, Metroid, Metal Gear, Xenoblade, etc.. come to mind, and I own it to Smash Bros to make me curious who those weirdo were coming from. More importantly, I founded alot of great peoples thanks to Smash & Smash Speculation, even if I sometime disagree on some topic (for the few times I tried to get into it more seriously), I always liked the variety of topics & opinion we had while talking about certain characters, and the jokes too especially! It might have been madness past a certain point, but I would lying if I said it wasn't at the very least entertaining in some aspects. (tho yeah, don't get too heated over this kind of stuff, it's not worth it)

Once the last character is reveal, whatever happen next, I hope I can use this knowedelge I got to make some awesome stuff in the future, and I thank you folks for staying here til the end!
THIS. 3 years of speculation is difficult to say the least. I'll be glad to be done with it. I can only hope our last fighter is at least fun to play as.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
THIS. 3 years of speculation is difficult to say the least. I'll be glad to be done with it. I can only hope our last fighter is at least fun to play as.
Yeah, whoever we get, I hope they're fun at least.

I don't have much expectation beside that, some characters I be happier than other if they did somehow get in, but I ain't putting my hopes & dreams into it.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Anime is any form of animation that is Japanese. Therefore, any French animation is not anime, and nothing American made is anime.
Totally Spies is not anime and neither is Avatar the Last Airbender.
I would add to this that there is a reason anime is called a "cultural phenomenon". Because its intrinsically related to japanese culture and besides imitating the superficial elements of an anime, you need to sociaetal knowledge of that culture.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

This time it was like a bonus, but all four talks were completed. Please see if you are interested in each.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Funny to see NMH 3 there since Suda is a bit of a westaboo but the game is gonna the best of both worlds. The main character is an American who is a big weeb that idolizes magical girl anime and has a friggin' beam katana AND he says henshin to activate a mech suit that fires missiles from its back okay yeah, it be kinda anime xD

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I don't think it's fair to look at "western video games" as a sort of monolithic cohesive thing; I'd say the same thing about eastern games. I will say that most (but absolutely not all) potential "western reps" seem boring as all hell to me. I wouldn't even be mad or disappointed, merely the epitome of "oh, okay."

There indeed are characters created in the west that would make good fighters, but it's not really a necessary box-tick for the sake of having a "western rep", if you feel me.

Last edited:

NotGenerico

Smash Apprentice
I haven't posted here in a while, but I've been thinking lately and realized that it may actually be a blessing in disguise that some of the characters I wanted for Ultimate didn't make it in. Some of these characters got new games in 2020 or this year and I don't think they would have brought that newer content to Ultimate even if they actually got in as DLC.

All I'm saying is that I'd like for the next game to let me choose ITADAKIMASU, The Disaster of Passion, Breaking Free or Bury the Light as songs for Final Destination.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I haven't posted here in a while, but I've been thinking lately and realized that it may actually be a blessing in disguise that some of the characters I wanted for Ultimate didn't make it in. Some of these characters got new games in 2020 or this year and I don't think they would have brought that newer content to Ultimate even if they actually got in as DLC.

All I'm saying is that I'd like for the next game to let me choose ITADAKIMASU, The Disaster of Passion, Breaking Free or Bury the Light as songs for Final Destination.
Nice taste. Personally, I think any of those 4 series would have been cool in smash.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I don't think it's fair to look at "western video games" as a sort of monolithic cohesive thing; I'd say the same thing about eastern games. I will say that most (but absolutely not all) potential "western reps" seem boring as all hell to me. I wouldn't even be mad or disappointed, merely the epitome of "oh, okay."

There indeed are characters created in the west that would make good fighters, but it's not really a necessary box-tick for the sake of having a "western rep", if you feel me.
Western?

You mean Crash Bandicoot?

7NATOR

Smash Master
What's happening with Sonic Colors Ultimate is unfortunate. Of course it can still get updates, but there's just alot of silliness going on. Besides the Glitches, Apparently the SDKs, or Software Development Kits are (or were) actually public in the ingame files, which is a BIG NO NO

A Delay probably should have been something that should have happened, but what you gonna do. Even though Sonic Team wasn't the one to make the port, I think this is why Sega has been more branching off to other Avenues outside of the Actual Sonic games, Like Crossovers, TV Shows, Movies, and Merch, since I think the Inconsistency of the games is a problem.

Which leads us to Smash. Sega likes expanding their bases, as some of the Crossovers being an example, Especially Minecraft, the Best Selling Video game. Perhaps the same will be in Smash DLC. As much as there still controversary with the actual Sonic Games, the Sonic Brand itself is still alive and popular, which is thanks to the characters that represent the Sonic Franchise, which bolds well for a Game about Characters beating each other up, and I think Nintendo, Sakurai, and Sega all know that

Baba

Smash Journeyman
Ah okay I thought something actually got announced.
I'm still betting that if there's a September direct, we'll just get the date for a "Final Smash Presentation" and we won't learn who the character is.

I still think we'll be waiting till maybe november.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Imma take the opportunity here and shill The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles and tall everyone to buy it
I already finished it. Probably one of the highest points the series has ever gotten.

Already did and preordered it months ago, plus beat it a few weeks back. Very solid games and am hoping the sales are enough to get Capcom to localize Ace Attorney Investigations 2.
Oh! Yes. If possible. I hope they sell it as a bundle with the first game.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm still betting that if there's a September direct, we'll just get the date for a "Final Smash Presentation" and we won't learn who the character is.

We're almost 90 days since Kazuya was revealed.

The absolute longest wait between characters was Min Min to Steve at 103 days.

No way in hell we're waiting 3 more months.

Baba

Smash Journeyman

We'll see. I hope I'm wrong.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I’ve been calling that myself, but I think the latest well wait is the first week of October if anything

I HOPE at least

SKX31

Smash Master
Oh look Trails Of Cold Steel is on there, Play the trails series.
Oh it is?

I’m thinking September right now, but I wouldn’t toss out October as a possibility either for CP11.

I honestly can’t see CP11 in November or December unless someone at Nintendo has a fetish for others suffering.

Still might be a good idea to prepare for the "3 more months" scenario mentally even if it's unlikely as all hell. The Byleth -> Min Min wait was arguably even longer (if you discount the guessing game announcement, which TBH felt like Nintendo having to kick that can down the road) at ca. 5 months. And even though they have only done a guessing game once I don't wanna dismiss the idea they'll do something like that or something else to delay and give more time if needed.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Oh it is?

Still might be a good idea to prepare for the "3 more months" scenario mentally even if it's unlikely as all hell. The Byleth -> Min Min wait was arguably even longer (if you discount the guessing game announcement, which TBH felt like Nintendo having to kick that can down the road) at ca. 5 months. And even though they have only done a guessing game once I don't wanna dismiss the idea they'll do something like that or something else to delay and give more time if needed.
I mean, we know why that wait was soo long.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just saw a video speculating on who the Fighters Pass 11 character could be.

It makes me a little concerned about FP11, to be honest. I realize that one person's opinion doesn't guarantee what is likely or not, but none of these choices jump out at me as being exciting or interesting. (one of the Champions could be neat - it would be great to have a new unique playable Zelda character in Smash after twenty years, but that unusually long period of time has me doubting that one of them will be the last character)

Out of the characters that were mentioned in the video, the only ones that interest me are one of the Champions, Amaterasu (who's only an honourable mention that's briefly shown), and some of the red herrings (who are only mentioned because he doesn't believe they're likely). I probably should look into Pokemon Sword/Shield, and I need to play Astral Chain or the Phoenix Wright games beyond the first one at some point, but if these are the front-runners, my hopes are pretty low for FP11.

(I'm not sure how later installments work for Phoenix Wright, but I found the first game frustrating since it seemed to require almost psychic knowledge of when to present certain items. It was obvious that certain items were going to be important, and sometimes, it was even clear how they were going to be important, but presenting what seemed to be the right item at what turned out to be the wrong time resulted in the game penalizing me because I presented a banana peel instead of a picture of a banana peel. This resulted in me using a guide for the last few missions so I didn't wind up losing because I didn't get the timing down for when to present certain items)

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

It makes me a little concerned about FP11, to be honest. I realize that one person's opinion doesn't guarantee what is likely or not, but none of these choices jump out at me as being exciting or interesting. (one of the Champions could be neat - it would be great to have a new unique playable Zelda character in Smash after twenty years, but that unusually long period of time has me doubting that one of them will be the last character)

Out of the characters that were mentioned in the video, the only ones that interest me are one of the Champions, Amaterasu (who's only an honourable mention that's briefly shown), and some of the red herrings (who are only mentioned because he doesn't believe they're likely). I probably should look into Pokemon Sword/Shield, and I need to play Astral Chain or the Phoenix Wright games beyond the first one at some point, but if these are the front-runners, my hopes are pretty low for FP11.

(I'm not sure how later installments work for Phoenix Wright, but I found the first game frustrating since it seemed to require almost psychic knowledge of when to present certain items. It was obvious that certain items were going to be important, and sometimes, it was even clear how they were going to be important, but presenting what seemed to be the right item at what turned out to be the wrong time resulted in the game penalizing me because I presented a banana peel instead of a picture of a banana peel. This resulted in me using a guide for the last few missions so I didn't wind up losing because I didn't get the timing down for when to present certain items)
Phoenix Wright is a visual novel. If you **** up, just reload your last save.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Oh it is?

I consider the 5 month issue there to be related to the pandemic rather than just something they decided to do. By that point, everything was being pushed back and even in Japan, work structure had to change.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

Considering the fact the video only mentioned ten or so candidates, being only hyped for a few of them is a pretty good score all things considered. These choices were also picked for being a good deal more low key.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Phoenix Wright is a visual novel. If you **** up, just reload your last save.
I try to avoid that if possible (it's probably a reason why I have trouble getting into older Fire Emblem games - I don't want characters to die, and I don't want to be constantly resetting the game whenever random archer C gets a critical hit and kills someone), but I'll keep that in mind and give it another shot.

When it comes to Smash speculation, I'm not really sure how Phoenix Wright would work as a playable character, since his Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 playstyle wouldn't really work in Smash due to the much larger stages. (people who play as him would hate that they have to rely entirely on randomness for him to be effective, while people who play against him would be annoyed by him running away in order to find a safe place to gather evidence, and then running elsewhere when the other character gets close) Though I'm open to ideas.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Reminder that Delzethin doesn't have any inside knowledge that no one else in this thread does. He could easily be wrong, as he has been in the past.
That being said we're definitely getting a Pokémon

Shroob

Sup?
I try to avoid that if possible (it's probably a reason why I have trouble getting into older Fire Emblem games - I don't want characters to die, and I don't want to be constantly resetting the game whenever random archer C gets a critical hit and kills someone), but I'll keep that in mind and give it another shot.
You kinda have to. If you're going to play a visual novel, you gotta swallow your pride and learn to save scum.

Hell, while it doesn't apply to Phoenix, a lot of VNs encourage it if not outright make it part of their game mechanics and narrative.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
We're not getting a 1st party promotion as the last fighter. There's a 0% chance of that happening. Anyone who's expecting them to give us another at the end after we've already gotten 2 in this pass, which is more than FP1 is delusional.

So Champions and Pokemon aren't happening. And especially champions, what a dumb prediction that is in the first place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom