• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Funny to see how these "front-runners" are more unbelievable than the numerous honorable mentions and long-shots.

Like bro,
Sword n Shield missed the launch date and got spirited with no clear frontrunner pokemon and no, that doesn't mean we're getting Pokemon Trainer 2. That's never happening again.
Dragalia Lost is in its death bed, with its most watched recent videos not reaching FEH's least.
Zelda isn't so unreasonable until you realize his idea is a four-in-one champion fighter.

Actually a little crazy how adamant Delz is when it comes to Pokemon SwSh and BotW when nearly everything points to them missing the bus.
He blatantly said the Zelda character would most likely not be a four in one fighter and that they would just pick one.

If you're gonna rag on his logic, actually rag on his logic.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
There isn't really any need for a BOTW1 booster pack either when it has a playable character, a stage, some music tracks and dozens of spirits, as well as some Mii outfits.
Characters don't become DLC based off how elements like stages and spirits, rather those factors get decided after the character is decided. Sephiroth is the perfect example of a character who would have been DLC regardless of how much content his franchise got. Or do you honestly believe Nintendo of all companies would care about whether or not Final Fantasy was "poorly represented"?

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
"Guys, we just did a 2 in 1 fighter in this DLC pack, now let's put a 4 in 1 fighter that you can switch between in the same pack"

-Masahiro Sakurai (the guy who also said that he wants to offer an entirely unique playstyle for each fighter)

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Characters don't become DLC based off how elements like stages and spirits, rather those factors get decided after the character is decided. Sephiroth is the perfect example of a character who would have been DLC regardless of how much content his franchise got. Or do you honestly believe Nintendo of all companies would care about whether or not Final Fantasy was "poorly represented"?
...yeah?

It was pretty obvious to me that Sephiroth was included as a means to make up for the lack of FF7 content lol. I thought most of us had agreed on this, especially with the whole "second chances theory" that had been prevalent this pass. Sakurai already hinted at Cloud being difficult to bring back, I read this as Square-Enix wanting Cloud/Midgar to be DLC again, but then Sakurai/Nintendo made to deal to keep them in the base game but hold back on most of the additional FF content (like music, spirits and such) as DLC.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
He blatantly said the Zelda character would most likely not be a four in one fighter and that they would just pick one.

If you're gonna rag on his logic, actually rag on his logic.
Pretty much. He said that was an idea people had before casting doubt on it but not ruling it out.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Funny to see how these "front-runners" are more unbelievable than the numerous honorable mentions and long-shots.

Like bro,
Sword n Shield missed the launch date and got spirited with no clear frontrunner pokemon and no, that doesn't mean we're getting Pokemon Trainer 2. That's never happening again.
Dragalia Lost is in its death bed, with its most watched recent videos not reaching FEH's least.
Zelda isn't so unreasonable until you realize his idea is a four-in-one champion fighter.

Actually a little crazy how adamant Delz is when it comes to Pokemon SwSh and BotW when nearly everything points to them missing the bus.
you’re all forgetting the pass was chosen in 2018 and 2019. I don’t know much about the fire emblem mobile game but I assume it was a thing back then so to Nintendo it won’t have been dead.

heck I’ll go one even further. Pass was decided on around 2018 and 2019 and we’ve had no rep from any game past 2017 so the Chances of the last spot being a rep from any new game above 2019 is probably slim

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
It was pretty obvious to me that Sephiroth was included as a means to make up for the lack of FF7 content lol. I thought most of us had agreed on this,
"Most people" are wrong. Sephiroth got in because Nintendo thought he was profitable (being of course one of the most iconic and popular villains in video game history) and the marketing for him emphasised who he is rather than going "Hey we finally got more FF content, yay!"

Sakurai already hinted at Cloud being difficult to bring back,
No he never did.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Is this guy reliable in any way? (Even if what he is saying is just a prediction)
Eh.....?

He talked about Byleth, a XC2 character and Steve I believe.

He's about as correct as any of us.

Frankly, dude is nicer than a lot of us though.

Paraster

Smash Lord
No offense to Euden but like

God that would be awkward as **** if he got in.

His game's on the verge of shuttering and then getting in as CP11 would be hella awkward.
I do think a gacha character from a game not available in Europe might not be a great pick, but what's that about the game being on the verge of shutting down?

KillerCage

Smash Master
Is this guy reliable in any way? (Even if what he is saying is just a prediction)
He does rise plenty of good points regarding speculation from the videos I have seen.
I do agree with his honorable mentions and red herrings from his most recent vid (though I still hold hope for Master Chief however small.)
It's the frontrunners I have a problem.

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I would honestly be fine with Euden (I just want Cleo somewhere in this game, dang it and secretly hope she would be playable instead because she's the design team's favorite), but I don't think he has a shot. Which is unfortunate in a way because Dragalia has been decently successful since it came out about 3 years ago and it was a pretty good game when I was actively involved with it.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I do think a gacha character from a game not available in Europe might not be a great pick, but what's that about the game being on the verge of shutting down?
Dragalia Lost is slowing down additions of content starting in November or so. Not quite shutting down just yet, but it's generally assumed slowing down means it will at some point in the near future after that.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Honestly speaking, disregarding factors of likelihood and looking at my personal opinion of these characters:
  • Another Final stage starter would be kind of underwhelming (though Zacian could be interesting and she'd add diversity to the newcomer roster, being a quadruped)
  • Euden would be... alright I guess? Nothing much wrong with him.
  • A Champion would legitimately be pretty cool. Any of them would make for an interesting and distinct fighter.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Especially the 4 champions.

I get that if all started due to that one fake leak, but like.

If Pyra and Mythra are basically clones of one another, people out here thinking we'd get a 4 in 1? Nah man.
nah they'd all have a similar down b therefore the remaining 3 champions take 0 work

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I wonder if fp11 will end on a sad theme and not the usual adventure hype themes that play in the trailers

min min’s opening theme to start the pass gave off the “it’s the start of the season” vibe where everything is cheery

and then pyra and mythra’s theme gave off the “we’re half way there” vibe

I wonder if fp11 will have that softer side then that feels like the end of an era. Similar to byleth’s theme that feels like an end of an era kinda vibe. Maybe a bit softer though since This is the finale.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
I wonder if fp11 will end on a sad theme and not the usual adventure hype themes that play in the trailers

min min’s opening theme to start the pass gave off the “it’s the start of the season” vibe where everything is cheery

and then pyra and mythra’s theme gave off the “we’re half way there” vibe

I wonder if fp11 will have that softer side then that feels like the end of an era. Similar to byleth’s theme that feels like an end of an era kinda vibe. Maybe a bit softer though since This is the finale.
Well, keep in mind... Mega Man Zero 4 does have this happen at the end:
So Zero (the Zero series one) could give off that "We're at the end" vibe.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Ok but Venu is a ****ing frog
I always perceived it as an extremely slow creature that doesn't really move around much. To be honest I still don't see it as all that frog like even after it's been pointed out to me.
1630715934155.png
1630715319727.png

It's all in the legs, really. The frogs known for jumping have extremely long legs, so much they're usually folded up for extra springy power. Heck, even the chubbier, stockier frogs have the folded-leg thing going on. The Bulbasaur line basically have elephant legs but smaller, which are not build for jumping at all.

Random semi-related tangent, but in the grand scale of things amphibians never really got to shine. Invertebrates rules for the first couple geological eras and then had a land-based resurgence in the Carboniferous, fish ruled the Devonian and were a constant of aquatic environments from then on, reptiles had the Permian and then the entire Mesozoic, mammals had the Cenozoic to themselves, and birds can at least say they have the legacy of the dinosaurs. Amphibians had the Carboniferous, but they also shared the spotlight with the giant bugs, and even then those were more proto-amphibians more than the amphibians we know of today. Really, they just kinda bridged the gap between fish and reptiles and then were relegated to a side role.

But hey, this is SmashBoards, not PaleoBoards. None of this matters because Smash is the only thing that matters :drshrug:

Good news, your most wanted character gets into Smash. Bad news, the TVA has decided that character created a branch from the sacred timeline and thus your timeline is pruned from existence.
Eh, wouldn't be the first time Adol inadvertently caused the complete reset of the universe :4pacman:

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
View attachment 329005View attachment 329001

It's all in the legs, really. The frogs known for jumping have extremely long legs, so much they're usually folded up for extra springy power. Heck, even the chubbier, stockier frogs have the folded-leg thing going on. The Bulbasaur line basically have elephant legs but smaller, which are not build for jumping at all.

Random semi-related tangent, but in the grand scale of things amphibians never really got to shine. Invertebrates rules for the first couple geological eras and then had a land-based resurgence in the Carboniferous, fish ruled the Devonian and were a constant of aquatic environments from then on, reptiles had the Permian and then the entire Mesozoic, mammals had the Cenozoic to themselves, and birds can at least say they have the legacy of the dinosaurs. Amphibians had the Carboniferous, but they also shared the spotlight with the giant bugs, and even then those were more proto-amphibians more than the amphibians we know of today. Really, they just kinda bridged the gap between fish and reptiles and then were relegated to a side role.

But hey, this is SmashBoards, not PaleoBoards. None of this matters because Smash is the only thing that matters :drshrug:
The meaning of Bulbasaur's Japanese name would be relevant to this conversation.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I could of swore there was an interview where Sakurai said that "Everyone is here!" almost didn't happen due to issues with one character/company, which most people had interpreted as being Cloud/SE.
Anyone got a link to that?

and I personally think that was actually referring to Konami, after all Snake didn’t return in 4 and they had… several problems from 2014-2016

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
Do people think Zelda is 'repped' in Ultimate with Champion Link? It's not a new character, but it's tweaked into essentially a new Link. BotW got a stage as well. It's just when trying to pick out what's most likely from Nintendo based on what was revealed in Ultimate already, its hazy whether getting a Zelda rep as FP11 would count as double dipping the franchise. I can't prove that they would avoid doing that, but it seems sensible to me for them to pick one newcomer per franchise, and it's been a pattern so far.

I'm still hanging onto a chance that more Zelda gets a DLC spot, but if I assume already repped franchies are not considered then it narrows down first party picks a lot. Isaac's at the top of my expectations for that, obviously.

I don't even want to get into third parties. I just have no idea anymore. If it is third party then I would wager it's someone not many expect, as usual, but be totally obvious in hindsight.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Bulbasaur’s original art did have hunched back legs like he could leap. But the lore on the trading cards said that as the plant on its back grew ivysaur and Venusaur lost leg strength supporting it. So yeah, frog/toad like creature

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I could of swore there was an interview where Sakurai said that "Everyone is here!" almost didn't happen due to issues with one character/company, which most people had interpreted as being Cloud/SE.
He said something like that, but he never mentioned any specific names so at that point is just speculation on our part.

Most people at the time assumed it was Cloud, that's true. But we won't know for certain.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
He said something like that, but he never mentioned any specific names so at that point is just speculation on our part.

Most people at the time assumed it was Cloud, that's true. But we won't know for certain.
"That damn Bandai Namco not letting Pac-man be included in the game they're making smh"

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

I'm 99% sure that Cloud wasn't said Character. And that both him and Bayonetta got rights deals for Smash 4 and Ult togethers, explaining why nothing new was made for both (or very much nothing for Bayo)
Which would make sense timeline wise, considering Cloud and Bayonetta's dev and Right dealing would happens LITERALLY when Sakurai was doing the Main game documents for Ultimate.
And their direct was the day he finished it.

I'm pretty sure Snake was the touchy subject, and probably still is, as Konami (while recently better) isn't willing to touch their games with a ten-foot poll, alongside the whole Kojima Fiasco being red hot while on the contrary, Square-Enix seems to have been less and less annoying as time went on.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Square-Enix seems to have been less and less annoying as time went on.
The way it seems is that Square Enix is actually very willing to help, but they seem to be one of the ones who have a bunch of trouble with copyrights, considering Sakurai talking about how some music only needs one copyright to deal with while other music requires the copyright holders of various regions in the Sephiroth showing. Because when Sakurai was only going to use just Luminary and Erdrick and was possibly facing only 2-4 songs to use, it was Square Enix who suggested and allowed Sakurai to add in Eight and Solo, and thus allowing some additional music to go with those characters to boot.

So it feels like Square is quite willing for Sakurai to use their properties, it's just the painful amount of copyright that seems to be hindering their efforts that Square can't seem to do much about. The only way we'll really tell is if and when we get a Square Enix series that doesn't have a whole lot of copyright to deal with.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The way it seems is that Square Enix is actually very willing to help, but they seem to be one of the ones who have a bunch of trouble with copyrights, considering Sakurai talking about how some music only needs one copyright to deal with while other music requires the copyright holders of various regions in the Sephiroth showing. Because when Sakurai was only going to use just Luminary and Erdrick and was possibly facing only 2-4 songs to use, it was Square Enix who suggested and allowed Sakurai to add in Eight and Solo, and thus allowing some additional music to go with those characters to boot.

So it feels like Square is quite willing for Sakurai to use their properties, it's just the painful amount of copyright that seems to be hindering their efforts that Square can't seem to do much about. The only way we'll really tell is if and when we get a Square Enix series that doesn't have a whole lot of copyright to deal with.
Come to think of it, what is a SE property that wouldn't have to go through licensing hell?

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Come to think of it, what is a SE property that wouldn't have to go through licensing hell?
probably super Mario RPG since it’s co owned between Nintendo and square Enix. However the chances of ever seeing anything from SMRPG every again outside a Geno mii costume low. Practically zero

Ivander

Smash Legend
Kingdom Hearts obviously has Disney and Utada Hikaru for some of it's music. Chrono Trigger may have the Dragon Ball artist guy to deal with, but we did get Erdrick, Solo and Eight from Dragon Quest. Don't really know about The World Ends with You, as I keep thinking the music may be an issue due to alot of it's music being vocal and possibly having alot of groups. Maybe Nier/Drakengard and the Bravely series? I was also thinking Tomb Raider, but that would require Square Enix and Eidos/Square Enix Europe.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Kingdom Hearts obviously has Disney and Utada Hikaru for some of it's music. Chrono Trigger may have the Dragon Ball artist guy to deal with. Maybe Nier/Drakengard and the Bravely series? I was also thinking Tomb Raider, but that would require Square Enix and Eidos/Square Enix Europe.
I can imagine licensing for kingdom hearts would be easy but negotiations must be hell considering there’d be 3 company’s trying to equally split the money between each other whilst all trying to make a profit.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I can imagine licensing for kingdom hearts would be easy but negotiations must be he’ll considering there’d be 3 company’s trying to equally split the money between each other whilst all trying to make a profit.
4, because of whatever company or contract owner Utada Hikaru works for if Smash tries to get the KH tracks made by her or based on her songs.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Not all of it; Yoko Shimomura could probably help with the music. it would at least go better than with Sugiyama the war-crime-denying old fart
That's why I said some. And last time I checked, alot of people are hoping for the orchestral version of Simple and Clean/Hikari, which would very highly likely require Utada Hikaru.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom