• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Mythra being an echo makes zero sense. She is not only different from Pyra, she is literally the opposite of Pyra.

They might have the same animations in their normals, but what those attacks actually do is inverted, not to mention the completely different specials.

It makes about as much sense to make Roy an echo of Marth... 4/Ultimate Roy.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I think you're right, but I think the game is better off without them, and was pissed when Ultimate brought a couple back.

Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard should have been separate fighters, and Mythra should have been an Echo.
I don't think Mythra is close enough to be an echo for Pyra, and the problem with making the Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon all separate would be that there would then be no Trainer and "Everyone is here" would be incorrect.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
there's a 90% chance that the way pyra and mythra were developed would qualify them as echoes lmao, echoes are just branding for the "started as modelswap" characters. ken already showed that the amount of differences doesn't actually matter.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I like the concept of Pokemon trainer as a trio. It helps represent a part of the franchise that barely gets acknowledge as it is (why are there no trainer spirits?!). If they were separates, they would lose its quite unique feature. If anything, my only complain is that you cant decide whom to change to when using the switch.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well, there is ONE good thing about Fighter 11 being another Fire Emblem character:

You gotta admit, FE would make a PERFECT fighting game...

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Well, there is ONE good thing about Fighter 11 being another Fire Emblem character:

So would Star Wars but things happened and we got Star Gladiator instead

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If you want these characters to be separate... just play them that way? There's nothing stopping you.
This is Rock Smash erasure and I won't stand for it.

It makes about as much sense to make Roy an echo of Marth...
Or Chrom an Echo of Roy.

Oh wait...they did that! Setting the precedent that characters with the same normals but different specials can be Echoes.

I don't think Mythra is close enough to be an echo for Pyra, and the problem with making the Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon all separate would be that there would then be no Trainer and "Everyone is here" would be incorrect.
Trainer does literally nothing but stand in the background. They could have given each of them a Trainer. Red for Charizard. Blue for Squirtle. Leaf for Ivysaur.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord

Well, the FE musou helps make a case for it.

Actually, that reminds me that I would love to see a smash bros musou some day.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
there's a 90% chance that the way pyra and mythra were developed would qualify them as echoes lmao, echoes are just branding for the "started as modelswap" characters. ken already showed that the amount of differences doesn't actually matter.
Well Ken is the marked exception, but even considering him his differences don't make him Nega-Ryu. He's a remix on Ryu with slightly different strengths but he doesn't become Dhalsim/Guile by changing the properties of his moves.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Random Thought: Mega Man's body should be projectile invincible when he slides. Does he need that? Probably not, but I don't think it would break him, it would bring a bit of source material accuracy, and it would just look cool.

I was initially going to pitch that only the top half of his body be projectile invincible, but most projectiles can't really be low profiled to my knowledge, so I buffed it. If you can prove me wrong though then I would say just do that.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I think the Decidueye fans would get moving and see this as an opportunity to garner hype for their owl-eyed archer considering Decidueye's popularity eclipses Incineroar's I think.
You're saying this like we haven't already completely given up
I don't think Incineroar getting cut would change much

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
I think you're right, but I think the game is better off without them, and was pissed when Ultimate brought a couple back.

Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard should have been separate fighters, and Mythra should have been an Echo.
Yeah I think the same
It sucks not being able to play solo Mythra or Zard. And as much as people try to ridicule us for thinking this way, they gotta realize that each of those characters are essentially lacking a down B special (like Charizard's Rock Smash which was my favorite move of his).

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah I think the same
It sucks not being able to play solo Mythra or Zard. And as much as people try to ridicule us for thinking this way, they gotta realize that each of those characters are essentially lacking a down B special (like Charizard Rock Smash which was my favorite move of his).
Playing solo Mythra isn't as much of a problem as trying to stick with one PT mon, since the trainer switches to the next one in line after a KO.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Random Thought: Mega Man's body should be projectile invincible when he slides. Does he need that? Probably not, but I don't think it would break him, it would bring a bit of source material accuracy, and it would just look cool.

I was initially going to pitch that only the top half of his body be projectile invincible, but most projectiles can't really be low profiled to my knowledge, so I buffed it. If you can prove me wrong though then I would say just do that.
Out of curiocity, I decided to look into this. This is what I came up with in terms of low profiling projectiles:
Works:
  • Bomb (Samus: But when would that ever be useful?)
  • Laser
  • Paralyzer
  • Villager’s Forward Aerial
  • Villager’s Back Aerial (I mean it’s not like the two moves hit small characters anyway. lol)
  • Crash Bomber
  • Sun Salutation (lol)
  • Luma Shot
  • Thunder (All of them)
  • Bullet Climax
  • Blunderbuss
  • Isabelle’s Forward Aerial
  • Isabelle’s Back Aerial
  • Frizz
  • Frizzle
  • Zapple
  • Failnaught
  • Flare
  • Megaflare
  • Gigaflare
  • Shadow Flare
Works (But it Depends)
  • Bow and Arrows (Depends on the charge and stuff)
  • Boomerang (If Link doesn’t angle it down or use it right next to you.)
  • Remote Bomb (If used at close range. You’re more likely to kick it away with Slide than dodge it. Also wouldn’t work against the explosion for obvious reasons.)
  • Turnip (Only at close range unless they’re airborne.)
  • Missile (Super Missile only)
  • Burst Grenade (You could probably slide under the grenade itself, but not the explosion)
  • Fire Arrow
  • Bomb (Young Link: Only at close range unless they’re airborne.)
  • Chef (If you were to do it in its blindspot sure. It would be a punish at that range anyway.)
  • Palutena Bow (If he doesn’t angle it down at the right time.)
  • Silver Bow (He can still hit you if he angles it down at longer distances, but it doesn’t arc fast enough at about mid-range.)
  • Hand Grenade (I’d imagine this would only be helpful as a hard read.)
  • Peanut Popgun (Depends on the distance, charge, and rotation of peanut)
  • Banana Peel (You can dodge it at close range, but like…why?)
  • Gordo Throw (Really depends)
  • Robo Beam (Depends, but the hitbox is narrower than you’d think)
  • Hero’s Bow
  • Mega Buster (You get hit by the third arm cannon hitbox.)
  • Metal Blade (Only if thrown.)
  • Explosive Flame (If they threw it out in the air you could theoretically slide under it.)
  • Trick Shot
  • Clay Shooting (Usually can.)
  • Wild Gunman (Not the orange one at close range or the sombrero guy at all.)
  • Hadouken (Not at point blank)
  • Shakunetsu Hadouken (Not at point blank)
  • Splat Bomb
  • Eiha/Eigon (Depends on distance.)
  • Rear Egg (Only if thrown.)
  • Devil Blaster (Less likely if he angles downward. He can just duck it otherwise.)

Works (But not Really)
  • Fireball (If you’re lucky. Why would you try this?)
  • Charge Shot (Only low-half charge)
  • Egg Throw (But only if they really chuck it)
  • Thunder Jolt (If you’re lucky. Why would you try this?)
  • PK Flash (Only if they just barely would have hit)
  • Megavitamin (If you’re lucky. Why would you try this?)
  • PK Freeze (Only if they just barely would have hit)
  • Pikmin Toss (Works at mid range, but only for Yellow Pikmin)
  • Gyro (Only if thrown, and even then it’s only necessary at certain ranges.)
  • Bomb (Toon Link: Only at point blank.)
  • Arcfire (Only at point blank where it wouldn’t hit anyway.)
  • Mechakoopa (Only if thrown at a pretty close distance.)
  • Dragon Fang Shot (Only the projectile if the melee attack wouldn’t hit.)
  • Plasma Breath (Maybe the fact that you travel forward would make this better than it seems.)
  • Crownerang (Only the returning pass.)
  • Egg Firing
  • Blazing End
  • Ray of Punishment
  • Chroma Dust
Does Not:
  • Final Cutter
  • Thunder
  • PK Fire
  • PK Thunder
  • Fire Breath
  • Ice Shot
  • Blizzard
  • Needle Storm
  • Din’s Fire
  • Phantom Slash
  • Boomerang (Young Link)
  • Shadow Ball
  • Oil Panic
  • Remote Missile
  • Water Gun
  • Bullet Seed (I mean, you can hit it with the slide but you couldn’t slide over it)
  • Razor Leaf
  • Flamethrower
  • Olimar’s Forward Smash
  • Aura Sphere
  • Force Palm
  • Lloid Rocket
  • Header (You’re more likely to kick the ball away, which isn’t helpful.)
  • Star Bits
  • Water Shuriken
  • Hydro Pump
  • Autoretical
  • Bonus Fruit (There are some cases in which you could feasibly dodge it, but I’m going to give it a blanket “no”.)
  • Fire Hydrant
  • Elwind
  • Abandon Ship
  • Blade Beam
  • Splattershot
  • Axe
  • Cross (It’s weird, it sometimes sails right over, and sometimes doesn’t…Does it really depend on the spin of the Cross?)
  • Holy Water
  • Lloid Trap
  • Ptooie
  • Poison Breath
  • Kafrizz
  • Zap
  • Kazap
  • Breegull Blaster
  • Power Wave
  • Minekart
I Have No Idea
  • Toad Shield (Can’t really test that)
  • Timber (I imagine you could hard read it, but I can’t test that use case)
  • Command Selection (No. I’m not labbing this. It’s late, and I want to be done.)
  • Mii Stuff (Nope. That’s it. I’m done.)
And with that. I've successfully labbed something that isn't in the game...yay? Still don't know how helpful it would be.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah I think the same
It sucks not being able to play solo Mythra or Zard. And as much as people try to ridicule us for thinking this way, they gotta realize that each of those characters are essentially lacking a down B special (like Charizard's Rock Smash which was my favorite move of his).
I think the best solution is probably to have the transformation tied to a taunt. There would obviously be an exception where you would be allowed to use the move online. That way, people that want transformations can have them without sacrificing a down B for those that don’t.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think the best solution is probably to have the transformation tied to a taunt. There would obviously be an exception where you would be allowed to use the move online. That way, people that want transformations can have them without sacrificing a down B for those that don’t.
I think Shield B would be better then. Crazy how Inkling managed to stick another special input that can be used for all sorts of **** like Cloud's Limit yet nobody else uses it.

Also,
There was a problem fetching the tweet

I now firmly believe this, though I must ask, how were SNES games on NSO announced?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Also,

I now firmly believe this, though I must ask, how were SNES games on NSO announced?
I think they were initially announced in the September 2019 Direct, but as I didn’t watch the whole direct due to a minor illness, I’m not 100% sure on that.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I think Shield B would be better then. Crazy how Inkling managed to stick another special input that can be used for all sorts of **** like Cloud's Limit yet nobody else uses it.

Also,

SNES games were revealed in the 4/9/2021 Direct

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think they were initially announced in the September 2019 Direct, but as I didn’t watch the whole direct due to a minor illness, I’m not 100% sure on that.
SNES games were revealed in the 4/9/2021 Direct
27d.jpg

35 days until Dread too so I hope we get even more marketing for it lmao

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Also,

Yeah, that’s probably even better. I agree they should start using that for more specials. They could even use this to bring back Zelda/Shiek and Samus/ZSS without sacrificing anything. I kind of forgot that was even a thing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't know if anyone's keeping an eye on Tokyo Game Show stuff with a Direct potentially on the horizon as it's September, but here's something fun I learned about Nintendo's participation at TGS this year:

Hey you know, since Nintendo's gonna be boosting Indie Games over there, this would definitely be a good time for the last Smash character to be from an Indie title yes?

Also in news I care about, Koei-Tecmo's lineup has a mystery title yet to be revealed at TGS:
1630667411172.png

Last year, they had a mystery title to present as well, which turned out to be Age of Calamity. I'm not expecting another Musou title to be the mystery game, but a September Direct sure does sound like the ideal place to reveal what that game is even if it might just be a Japanese Exclusive game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom