• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Quadrupeds rule.

That Ridley looks like Alien and Pete's Dragon had a baby, miscarried, and then went to the taxidermist.

I think that's because it was..

Iirc it was a recolour of one of the aliens or dinosaurs of some old movie I forgot...
Alien ninjad.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
It's interesting that we went from all the final stage starters being bestial in the early gens to only 1 bestial final starter (Rillaboom) in the latest gen.

SKX31

Smash Master
Switch: Please, I want Samus Returns.
Nintendo: We have Samus Returns in Nintendo Switch Online.
Samus Returns in Nintendo Switch Online:
View attachment 328926

Well, there's always AM2R- gets assassinated by Nintendo Ninjas.
Why is there a van parked out on the sidewalk like that?
What's funny is that this is a thing that has happened. The Ninjas are very real.
Nintendo Ninja: Why would you want another Metroid 2 (TM) Remake? There's already Samus Returns (C)! On the Nintendo 3DS (R)! Go and play that!

:4pacman:

I am not sure about how I feel about your post. On one hand, yes venusaur is a quadruped but is Snake or Sheik the other quadruped?
Bowser was in Melee / Brawl, but considering that he was redesigned in 4 I'm willing to bet that Sakurai changed his mind regarding him.

Quadrapeds are kinda difficult in the context of Smash because you're dealing with a wider target than if we're talking bipedal characters, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was - and remains - a major hurdle in terms of design.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So? If the roster was reduced to "essential" characters we'd have a lot less. Regardless, every single one of the Kanto starters are easily justifiable as Smash characters with the arguable exception of Ivysaur (and that is only because Bulbasaur and Venusaur clearly overshadow it) and even then, you can easily make the argument that a middle stage starter would add more to the trifecta. Ivysaur is fun to play.
Yes, but if you can't add all of them as a team, you really don't get much mileage out of more than one, and since Charizard is the de-facto pick, there isn't really much reason to add the other two over two different characters. This was probably why they were cut.

Maybe he's not a fan of quadrupeds.
It's more likely because nothing about Venusaur's design says "agile enough to run and jump around".
1630691078063.png

Or he did consider it, but never said he did.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yes, but if you can't add all of them as a team, you really don't get much mileage out of more than one, and since Charizard is the de-facto pick, there isn't really much reason to add the other two over two different characters. This was probably why they were cut.

It's more likely because nothing about Venusaur's design says "agile enough to run and jump around".
View attachment 328953

Or he did consider it, but never said he did.
Ok but Venu is a ****ing frog

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I think it was just a matter of popularity, poor old Venusaur just seemed to be relatively lagging behind when it came to attention from the fanbase compared to Charizard and Blastoise (and there's the fact that the original Green was never released internationally, yeah we had the remakes in Gen 3 but that didn't sell as well compared to Gen 1).

Grass starters in general seemed to get the short end of the stick considering we still don't have a fully evolved Grass starter in the roster.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think it was just a matter of popularity, poor old Venusaur just seemed to be relatively lagging behind when it came to attention from the fanbase compared to Charizard and Blastoise (and there's the fact that the original Green was never released internationally, yeah we had the remakes in Gen 3 but that didn't sell as well compared to Gen 1).

Grass starters in general seemed to get the short end of the stick considering we still don't have a fully evolved Grass starter in the roster.
Yeah wasn't picking Bulbasaur a meme at one point?

And yeah:
  • Meganium gets no love (Bayleaf does though I think).
  • Sceptile is actually mega popular though.
  • Torterra is slightly overshadowed by the other two I think.
  • People really like Snivy, but I'm not too sure about the evolutions.
  • People straight up hate Chesnaught.
  • People really like the Rowlet line.
  • Rillaboom seems to be the least favorite of the Gen 8 starters, and people seem to straight up hate Thwackey.
Yeah, it seems the Grass Type starters tend to get the weakest reception.

FreeFox

Smash Lord

And yeah:
  • Meganium gets no love (Bayleaf does though I think).
  • Sceptile is actually mega popular though.
  • Torterra is slightly overshadowed by the other two I think.
  • People really like Snivy, but I'm not too sure about the evolutions.
  • People straight up hate Chesnaught.
  • People really like the Rowlet line.
  • Rillaboom seems to be the least favorite of the Gen 8 starters, and people seem to straight up hate Thwackey.
Yeah, it seems the Grass Type starters tend to get the weakest reception.
With fire being usually the most popular.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
The color red is usually the most popular. If there is a red team and a blue team, people will prioritize red. I mean, Team Valor is the most popular GO team right? The fire starters are usually the most beloved too and totally unrelated to Pokemon, red is the most popular colour in Among Us.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
The color red is usually the most popular. If there is a red team and a blue team, people will prioritize red. I mean, Team Valor is the most popular GO team right? The fire starters are usually the most beloved too and totally unrelated to Pokemon, red is the most popular colour in Among Us.
I'm thought Mystic was the most popular, with Valor slightly behind, and then Instinct slightly more behind both of them.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Is Venusaur actually supposed to be a frog? Like was that the idea...?
Likely an inspiration, but Gen 1's monster-like Pokémon aren't just "the thing, but magic", and mix so many things together that you don't really know what it is.

Like, what is Rhydon? Part rhinoceros and part drill sure, but everything else? The world may never know.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Gimme a fire starter snake!
Well they're following the zodiac so that'll be one of them. And watch them for some reason give it arms and legs and have it stand up straight and even be a fighting type lol.

I still can't get over how much they squandered the opportunity to have a fire tiger. They could've made it a sabretooth or something and instead it's suddenly a... wrestler? Yeah, not enough fighting-themed fire starters beforehand, hey. Or the fire/psychic fox who looks like someone's grandma.

-_-

I know some people like these mons but idc they could've done better. :p

Ivander

Smash Legend
I think it was less a meme and more, "While he has advantage for the first three gyms, he's a poor choice since all the gyms after the first 3 are poor match-ups for him." Even Ground, despite being weak against Grass, still had effectiveness due to the Bulbasaur lines' Poison typing. So I think Bulbasaur was less a "meme pick" and was more considered a "easy early game, hard mode mid and late game".

Last edited:

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
Well, there is ONE good thing about Fighter 11 being another Fire Emblem character:

You gotta admit, FE would make a PERFECT fighting game...
I am convinced that a Soul Calibur with a Fire Emblem skin will happen one day.

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
Well they're following the zodiac so that'll be one of them. And watch them for some reason give it arms and legs and have it stand up straight and even be a fighting type lol.
Whenever they decide to go for the fire type bull/ox, I seriously hope it evolves into a proper plain-ol' flaming quadraped bull.

And knowing them, we'll get a fiery minotaur, which I'll admit would actually be fairly cool.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
We talking Pogey Men? Let me make a moveset here:

SHIFTRY

A squat fighter not unlike Wario in terms of weight and movement speed and such... but Shiftry, being a tengu man, is a projectile fighter primarily not unlike Mega Man. Sorta like if Mega Man and Wario did the Fusion Dance. Many of his attacks involving wind and thrown leaves and such. Attack from a distance and all that.

Press B to use Bullet Seed, a rapid fire machine gun-like attack from his leafy hands. Hold B and use the stick to angle the shot up or down. The seeds don't launch opponents, but they do stun and rack up damage.

Press and hold DOWN B to charge up a Razor Wind attack! Hold the button to charge for power, release to send the little Razor Wind tornados to slice up those in your path.

Press Up B for a quick escape with Whirlwind! The wind launches you into the air and while it does no damage, it will knock away those in direct contact with the funnel when it appears, so drop into a crowd and use it to scatter them while making your escape!

Press Side B to fling out a flurry of Air Cutter attacks! A little cloud of slicers appear and hang around, creating a wall of slicy-ness.

And for the Final Smash, let loose a ferocious LEAF STORM, slicing and launching all who get caught!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom