• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Apparantly them maintenance is happening the same day as the gamescom.

Think it add more oil to the fire or it mean jack?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Just realized there's no mention of replays.

Wouldn't that hard deconfirm a new character/balance adjustments?
Guess things are just setting up for general maintenance.
It’s pretty funny that it looks like we’ll have gotten two Red Herrings a few days apart from each other.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
With FP11 being two months away on the pessimistic end, I'm kind of surprised they'd even be doing this now, if there is an update at all. Unless there was some game-breaking bug found in-house or something. I lean towards it just being actual maintenance, though Puppy does have a point, haha.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
“Back up your replays” only happens when a character release is imminent, not a reveal. A reveal could still happen

also there’s another pic

Do I need to make the joke? Well? Do I? :4pacman:

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I've been thinking they're going to put the three Peters and potentially Strange against The Sinister Six from the Marvel Comics.. with ofc their own unique spin on who these 6 will be
One example of a group of 6 they could do is Doc Ock, Electro (Foxx is confirmed to be in the cast and I suspect it's because of this), Sandman, Vulture, Green Goblin, The Shocker, and Mysterio
Based on the trailer it seems to be Dr Octopus, Green Goblin, Electro, Lizard, Sandman and Rhino

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
“Back up your replays” only happens when a character release is imminent, not a reveal. A reveal could still happen

also there’s another pic

Do I need to make the joke? Well? Do I? :4pacman:
"Sonic, Inkling, Incineroar and Charizard are drowning!"

Sakurai: "This isn't about them"

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I really don't want to see a VR Mode/Small Battlefield styled intermission update at this point because that would be a big indicator that the last character is way further out than we realized.

Remember how we got the VR Update on May 30, 2019 and then we had to wait exactly two months for Hero to come out? Then last year, after they did the Small Battlefield update in August, we also had to wait two more months for Steve to be revealed/released.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I really don't want to see a VR Mode/Small Battlefield styled update at this point because that would be a big indicator that the last character is way further out than we realized.

Remember how we got the VR Update on May 30, 2019 and then we had to wait exactly two months for Hero to come out? Then last year, after they did the Small Battlefield update in August, we also had to wait two more months for Steve to be revealed/released.
I mean, Sakurai did tell us to wait a while longer in that presentation, so it wouldn't be too shocking.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
inb4 this is the surprise rollback netcode update

this proves we’re gonna keep getting balance patches after the last character
Wouldn't it be smarter to say this after they actually release the last character? :bowsette:

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
So about this maintenance update thing. Could that suggest that the announcement of fp11 might be delayed and Could potentially not be announced at the September direct. Just asking because the maintenance update feels out of place and strange.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
So about this maintenance update thing. Could that suggest that the announcement of fp11 might be delayed and Could potentially not be announced at the September direct. Just asking because the maintenance update feels out of place and strange.
I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Sometimes you have to shut things down to test stuff etc.

This does however tie into a thought I've had recently while musing about the end of Ultimate.

When Brawl Online (Nintendo WFC service) 2qs shut off permanently I actually was so mad I called Nintendo like a 5 year old to cry.

"We're sorry but it's gone and not coming back."

Iirc smash 4 online still works? So after ultimate dlc is over I'm hoping the Quickplay will still work right up until the next game but the paranoid side of me is still worried it'll all shut down eventually and I'll be in smash limbo.

SKX31

Smash Master
Didn't we get a few minor patches or maintenance right before major updates before?

Basically, even if it means nothing, we'll still be speculating about September. :roll:
Actually, there is one case.

3.1.0. Which was released 30th May 2019. A couple weeks before that E3. While there was a lot of multihit and glitch fixes, several changes are worth noting:

* :ultfalcon: and :ultdiddy: got a slew of major buffs: for example, Falcon got a knee sweetspot buff + significant buffs to his Side B's armor and hitstun, and Diddy got a much needed buff to his Up B's distance (plus it falls slower in the air) and Up Smash's knockback. While Diddy had gotten a few buffs previously, this patch in particular wound up starting a trend of them getting a lot of buffs - culminating in the two becoming much more dangerous that at launch.

* This was also the big :ultpichu: nerf patch. Not only was the self damage on half its moveset increased, but its hurtbox was extended to cover most of its ears. I feel kinda bad for VoiD and other Pichu players, even if release Pichu could kill like 2/3s of the cast at the ledge with a frame 5 F-Tilt. It's telling when a couple of these changes were reversed in 11.0. Another character that was severaly nerfed was :ultolimar: - not only did he also see a hurtbox size increase, but Up Smash's endlag was nerfed so that people couldn't combo Up Smash into Up Smash as easily.

* :ultlucario: and :ultlittlemac: did recieve some decently impactful stuff. Lucario got consistency buffs and major buffs to Aura Sphere; Mac got buffs to his range and most of his specials - incl. KO Punch's endlag while grounded. Mac did get an unintentional buff where he could cancel Jab 3 and thus allow Mac to act 10 frames earlier - which allowed for some combos and confirms off of it depending on %. The thought of Mac jab combos / confirms (named the Dreamland Express) evidently made Sakurai and co. scream in panic - that unintentional buff was taken out of the game with the Hero patch (TBF, Jab 1 is also the fastest move in the game - Frame 1, near instant. But still, I want the Dreamland Express back).

* Oh and :ultryu: / :ultken: got arguably the most singularily impactful buffs they could get: they had their combo potential improved on a lot of their moves. In addition, Ryu's Hadoken and Ken's Shoryuken got major buffs - the former does more damage and covers more distance, while the latter's consistency and knockback buffs allow it to KO people more frequently than at launch.

And those were the most notable cases, FTR. There were a lot of changes that patch.

Yes, that was back in 2019 and relatively early on - the chances that the same happens now seems slim. Multi-hits have been the most consistent thing they've tried to fix, so chances are also that if there's an upcoming patch this week it'll be mostly those. However, I wouldn't count the possibility out, especially since FP2 has featured a lot of power creep compared to the base roster. It's to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if they nerfed most of FP2 slightly (Protobanham, a prominent Japanese Min Min player, feared that she might get nerfed again alongside the patch after Kazuya - Nintendo doesn't usually go for big changes alongside a complex character, but otherwise they might be more liberal).

There are no big issues that would warrant a hotfix. Well, no new issues at least. This could mean a lot of things.
The online.

Okay, beating a dead horse here, but they've at least attempted to make a couple small improvements to the system since 8.1.0 (the Small Battlefield patch). 11.0.1 increased the average packet size - which caused further issues that day when people started getting disconnected. There were quite a few reddit threads about that. Things have been surprisingly quiet about that since.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
The more I think about it, the more I wish Mach Rider made it in Ultimate, or earlier even.

Dude (Girl?) look so cool (tho it could be my love of Biker outfit speakin' here), and a moveset involving their bike could have made for a really unique human character.

Alas, any chances they had is kinda close to 0.222222222 and counting % these days. (God dang Grinch)

Theguy123

Smash Lord
This maintenance will probably be a good thing. If it’s for glitch fixes and buffs then we’ll probably get a few new glitches on characters which will then cause more speculation. Glitches on characters usually do lead to someone even if we can’t figure it out so at least something good might come out of this maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom