• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
The fact that we're potentially approaching the "End times" for Smash speculation is definitely sobering, but at the same time, I welcome it.

While these months leading up to it haven't been as bad as I feared they'd be, no thanks helped by the massive de-confirmation wave of Miis last Direct, I'd be lying if I said that the landscape post-Kazuya hasn't been, well, dry.

I may be speaking for myself, but to me, it feels like people are just burnt out, and seeing September soo close, and a Direct almost assuredly happening there, just want to get this over with.

We've been at this for 3 years now, much longer than any prior Smash game, and while I haven't regretted it one bit, I'd be lying if I said that speculation in regards to FP2 was any sorts of "fun". Without things like actual, credible leaks, it just became a revolving door of fan rules getting shot down every presentation and circular logic that goes nowhere, not even to begin talking about, frankly, the sheer exhaustion of it all.

I think it goes without saying that 2018-2019 was really the golden era of Smash speculation in regards to Ultimate, just due to how much there was. Starting with 2020, things just kinda, came to a crawl, not helped by Nintendo cracking down hard on leaks, but also just.... not much to talk about, really.

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
The fact that we're potentially approaching the "End times" for Smash speculation is definitely sobering, but at the same time, I welcome it.

While these months leading up to it haven't been as bad as I feared they'd be, no thanks helped by the massive de-confirmation wave of Miis last Direct, I'd be lying if I said that the landscape post-Kazuya has been, well, dry.

I may be speaking for myself, but to me, it feels like people are just burnt out, and seeing September soo close, and a Direct almost assuredly happening there, just want to get this over with.

We've been at this for 3 years now, much longer than any prior Smash game, and while I haven't regretted it one bit, I'd be lying if I said that speculation in regards to FP2 was any sorts of "fun". Without things like actual, credible leaks, it just became a revolving door of fan rules getting shot down every presentation and circular logic that goes nowhere, not even to begin talking about, frankly, the sheer exhaustion of it all.

I think it goes without saying that 2018-2019 was really the golden era of Smash speculation in regards to Ultimate, just due to how much there was. Starting with 2020, things just kinda, came to a crawl, not helped by Nintendo cracking down hard on leaks, but also just.... not much to talk about, really.
There's a silver lining to this, though. Yeah online forums like this might not be the best place for speculation with so little to actually have long discussions about. However in a practical sense, try and look at it from the perspective of all those rules being shot down and all the expectations being blown up meaning that Smash reveals are probably going to be super exciting and unexpected for ever and ever now. To me, that certainly makes up for FP2 speculation being so dull compared to basegame SSBU speculation back in 2018.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

While these months leading up to it haven't been as bad as I feared they'd be, no thanks helped by the massive de-confirmation wave of Miis last Direct, I'd be lying if I said that the landscape post-Kazuya has been, well, dry.

I think it goes without saying that 2018-2019 was really the golden era of Smash speculation in regard to Ultimate, just due to how much there was. Starting with 2020, things just kinda, came to a crawl, not helped by Nintendo cracking down hard on leaks, but also just.... not much to talk about, really.
Yeah, if I'm being honest, I was really hoping for E3 to have two reveals just so the cycle would be done. Since then, I've just not had the same energy, and my activity here has only picked up in the last week or so. Part of it is that both passes have largely delivered characters that play well, but for the most part haven't been terribly exciting to me personally. Even if I were to get a strongly preferred character as the last fighter, it would amount to DLC that on the whole was well executed, yet not as much hype as the base game build up was in hindsight.

I think in a way the idea of whom might be coming has often proven to be more interesting than what was delivered, even if the work and care in the new fighters was so well done that I do think I got my money's worth. In that sense, a lot of the proverbial hype shine had dissipated, and I'm left with a feeling of just wanting the whole thing done with so I can really assess the two fighter's passes for what they are and not what I'm hoping they'll be. If the final one is a cool third party character I've long been hoping for? Great. If it's a first party promotional figure for a Nintendo franchise I'm not invested in? That's fine too; just let it be done, so I'm not bothered by wish fulfillment theories about fighters I want or unfair disappointments about the ones we got.

Last edited:

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Wanna ask something. If sega was the last spot. Sega specifically, who do you think would be the last spot and why.
It's between a Sonic rep (Tails or Shadow to be specific), Arle and a SMT rep (most likely Demi-Fiend if they go the Cloud route)

Imo Sonic is the likeliest if we take into account the ''base game gaps'' theory and how well it has panned out throughout all the FP2's lifespan. I don't think anyone can deny a 2nd Sonic rep has been long overdue and sure, while we have content in spares when it comes to everything else, it still feels barebones to not have another character which is the niche people have been asking for (ad nauseam) since Brawl (meanwhile there are currently 3 series that broke this barrier already in different ways). Not a single 3rd party franchise had as many fan-requests as Sonic when it came to getting another rep, not even close.

Arle seems like the no-brainer choice for another SEGA representative that isn't Sonic, since Puyo Puyo so popular in Japan and could be used to promote overseas a la DQ. Still a farcry from Sonic but a decently big franchise nonetheless (2nd biggest iirc).

SMT would be more of a ''why not?'' situation. And while I do think SMT has a decent chance this time, I feel like most of it boils down to ''new game = smash'' talk that has been going on for ages. Characters like Sol Badguy get thrown around for this very same reason. Let's not forget that while Persona is a spin-off, it's still more popular than the main series and the IP is regularly listed as one and the same:
Which would essentially mean Nintendo double dipped on the same IP (and a niche one at that) before Sonic. But please do not misunderstand and say ''just because it's Sonic doesn't mean it gets priority'', and yes it could happen but it's unlikely. Think of it like Zelda or Kirby getting more characters than Mario.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

While these months leading up to it haven't been as bad as I feared they'd be, no thanks helped by the massive de-confirmation wave of Miis last Direct, I'd be lying if I said that the landscape post-Kazuya hasn't been, well, dry.

To add to this

I personally think the DLC has been great

But Pass 2 was doomed to feel this way from the start.

With Pass 1, we got every character within a year more or less, give or take an additional month for Byleth. But having 6 characters spread out over 2 years is just, yeah, not fun. Of course no one could have predicted the virus, and that probably had a role in this, but still....

FP2: Great characters, but a horribly unfun downtime in-between.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
This is also a matter of opinion, but notable Switch releases overall have also been a bit hit and miss in the last year and half, which has not helped to alleviate some of the wait between fighters. While I think mid 2020 was the valley in terms of major news (understandable given the pandemic) we may have a situation where strong Switch momentum won't really kick in until after the last fighter is released. The same time Smash is bowing out will be the release of Metroid Dread, and 2022 may very well prove to be a great year for the console, ironically when such news will have no lull periods between Ultimate characters to buoy up.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Since we’re nearing the end. What happens to this thread after the last character is revealed. I remember the Geno thread was shut down when geno’s mii costume came back.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
This is also a matter of opinion, but notable Switch releases overall have also been a bit hit and miss in the last year and half, which has not helped to alleviate some of the wait between fighters. While I think mid 2020 was the valley in terms of major news (understandable given the pandemic) we may have a situation where strong Switch momentum won't really kick in until after the last fighter is released. The same time Smash is bowing out will be the release of Metroid Dread, and 2022 may very well prove to be a great year for the console, ironically when such news will have no lull periods between Ultimate characters to buoy up.
A New Nintendo console? I am going to feel bad for Sakurai then. He'll never catch a break.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Since we’re nearing the end. What happens to this thread after the last character is revealed. I remember the Geno thread was shut down when geno’s mii costume came back.
Genos thread was for…other reasons.
My guess is this thread gets shutdown as we’ll be done with DLC, or it’ll be rebranded for general new Smash Speculation.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I think it's possible Sakurai will stop working on the Smash series as a whole after Ultimate
I don't know about general retirement, but I think retiring from the Smash series makes more sense to me. He may take a giant vacation and then come back half a decade later with a new non-Smash game for either the Switch or the next generation Nintendo console.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Wait, weren't some trolls from GameFAQs involved that day in what happened that day in the Geno thread?

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Smash ride will never end guys, after ultimate, we would start speculation who will be cut or whose the next most wanted.

Just for curiosity, what was talked about the pre smash ultimate revealed speculation? I mean, between early 2016, after Smash 4 DLC ended and before march 2018. I remember they were rumours of a Smash 4 WiiU port for Switch (that was mid-late 2016).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Wish I had seen it. When I checked, things were pretty mellow all things considered.
From what I remember that was absolutely not the case. I wasn't on the thread, but Geno discussion here largely went to how much people hated Geno fans at around that time. Could be mixing up events on the timeline but it definitely sounds like a powder keg in hindsight.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Smash ride will never end guys, after ultimate, we would start speculation who will be cut or whose the next most wanted.

Just for curiosity, what was talked about the pre smash ultimate revealed speculation? I mean, between early 2016, after Smash 4 DLC ended and before march 2018. I remember they were rumours of a Smash 4 WiiU port for Switch (that was mid-late 2016).
I also remember a lot of port talk. Something like a compilation of both Smash 4 versions with a couple new fighters and not much new.

I guess we got kinda close to that.

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I also remember a lot of port talk. Something like a compilation of both Smash 4 versions with a couple new fighters and not much new.

I guess we got kinda close to that.
Yeah, I remembered a rumour from Source Gaming i think that said that smash ultimate was going to be a mix of smash wiiu + 3ds content (stages, modes, etc) with 3 new characters. That was from early 2017, before Switch launch. Fortunately, the final product was much better.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah, I remembered a rumour from Source Gaming i think that said that smash ultimate was going to be a mix of smash wiiu + 3ds content (stages, modes, etc) with 3 new characters. That was from early 2017, before Switch launch. Fortunately, the final product was much better.
im 99% sure Laura Kate Dale was behind that rumor

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Where do we stand with CP11 being either right around the corner or December?

I feel pretty alright with a September reveal. Though I’ve also got a gut feeling we’ll get it in October.
80% confident it’s gonna be at the September direct or we’ll at least get some news there like an update. At the latest probably October. There’s no way they’re making us wait till December.

Shroob

Sup?
Where do we stand with CP11 being either right around the corner or December?

I feel pretty alright with a September reveal. Though I’ve also got a gut feeling we’ll get it in October.
If we get a Direct next month, which seems incredibly likely, there's pretty much 2 scenarios:

A) The character is revealed

B) They tease that the character will need "A bit more time"

I'm betting on the character being shown off next month, released 2-3 weeks after the Direct as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom