• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Key difference is that Bayonetta absolutely rocks the whole sex positivity thing while being an adult, big difference between her and tearing off the clothes of 16 year olds who are still minors at the end of the day, not to mention nobody saw Bayonetta coming because of her sexual nature
This argument doesn’t affect the probability of a Senran Kagura character as DLC, which was the context of the original post.

As for what I think the chance is? Not particularly great, but unexpected things tend to happen in Smash, so who knows. But I certainly don’t think factors of controversy would affect them, same with a GTA character.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
What are some of your hopes for the last character. For me I hope the last character

comes with quite a lot of music. It’s gonna look bad if we go from getting 40 songs with kazuya to about 10 songs with the last character.

has a unique moveset. A lot of this pass has had fighting reps and sword users or character that uses swords mainly as apart of their moveset. It’s time the last character goes all in with a brand new moveset that’s not been done in smash bros yet. No sword, no brawler type character. Just all in as a unique character

has a cool stage. Something that morths to different points.

has a cool trailer. Last character needs to give off that end of the pass vibe.

that’s all I ask for in the last character.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
What are some of your hopes for the last character. For me I hope the last character

comes with quite a lot of music. It’s gonna look bad if we go from getting 40 songs with kazuya to about 10 songs with the last character.

has a unique moveset. A lot of this pass has had fighting reps and sword users or character that uses swords mainly as apart of their moveset. It’s time the last character goes all in with a brand new moveset that’s not been done in smash bros yet. No sword, no brawler type character. Just all in as a unique character

I only hope that it gives off the same hype Cloud's reveal did. Seriously: HOW has nothing topped this yet?!

CureParfait

Smash Ace

My hopes are that they have good music, unique moveset, and preferably a character I really love like a lot.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
And now for something completely different:

I'm not confident at all in another fighting game character as CP11, but damn, this at least shows GG is more open to crossovers. If I'm not mistaken, this is one of the first times this happens with the series (plus the one in that KoF mobile game).

Plus, Baiken makes perfect sense tbh.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

That it destroys the idea that first-party DLC has to be relevant to the Switch.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
And now for something completely different:

I'm not confident at all in another fighting game character as CP11, but damn, this at least shows GG is more open to crossovers. If I'm not mistaken, this is one of the first times this happens with the series.

Plus, Baiken makes perfect sense tbh.
One of the feedback polls from the open betas asked how fans felt about guest characters in GG too so this is a big change compared to how GG Vs Darkstalkers was a thing until it got scrapped

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
One of the feedback polls from the open betas asked how fans felt about guest characters in GG too so this is a big change compared to how GG Vs Darkstalkers was a thing until it got scrapped
Yeah, pretty much. There was that one appearance from Faust in Mistover too, but apparently Baiken in SamSho is the first time GG has crossed over with another mainline entry in a fighting game ever. The rest is mostly a bunch of mobile games (some of which I had never even heard of before researching the crossovers lol).

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Here’s Today’s tinpot out there theory/speculation

pass 1 had 4 dlc characters who had background in their stage. Those being joker, terry, byleth and banjo

pass 2 has had 3 characters that have have background characters in their stage. Those being Steve, pyra/myphra and kazuya.

My out there theory is that the last character will have background characters which would mean both passes have 4 dlc characters with background characters.

I have another tinpot theory/coincidence as well but I’ll probably save that one for later or Tomorrow. I just love going over coincidences and theories even if they mean nothing.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
That it destroys the idea that first-party DLC has to be relevant to the Switch.
I’m not sure how likely that is. Even if we get a character like BanDee or Dixie, those characters, despite not debuting on the Switch, still appear in Switch titles. Tropical Freeze snd Star Allies lack content in the base game so those titles could be used to fill those characters’ Challenger Packs.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I’m not sure how likely that is.
yeah I know i've heard it a million times i'm not gonna bother

I will, however, have you consider this: They don't do big third parties at the end. FP2 isn't about smaller third parties like 1. All the new Switch games get spirited. They're not gonna promote a game banned in Europe. So, where do we go from there?

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
yeah I know i've heard it a million times i'm not gonna bother

I will, however, have you consider this: They don't do big third parties at the end. FP2 isn't about smaller third parties like 1. All the new Switch games get spirited. They're not gonna promote a game banned in Europe. So, where do we go from there?
FP1 wasn't "about smaller 3rd parties" either, it had Dragon Quest in it. And which game got banned in Europe?

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion

pass 1 had 4 dlc characters who had background in their stage. Those being joker, terry, byleth and banjo

pass 2 has had 3 characters that have have background characters in their stage. Those being Steve, pyra/myphra and kazuya.

My out there theory is that the last character will have background characters which would mean both passes have 4 dlc characters with background characters.

I have another tinpot theory/coincidence as well but I’ll probably save that one for later or Tomorrow. I just love going over coincidences and theories even if they mean nothing.

Hmmmmm

Lemme throw a few possibilities around

1. Phoenix Wright. A whole host of goofy characters show up in the courtroom. Witnesses,, attorneys, the stupid judge, just sitting there in the background acknowledging that they've well and truly lost control of this court as it has now devolved into Super Mario punching Pikachu in the mouth as Phoenix Wright stomps on Sonic the Hedgehog.

2. Waluigi. A Mario Party stage, particularly Waluigi's Island from Mario Party 3. Tumble and Toad float around watching the party. Koopa Troopa shows up STILL WANTING DONATIONS TO THE KOOPA BANK!

3. Pogey Man! Whichever Pokemon/Pogey Man ends up playable, there are so many obvious opportunities for them to be. New Pokemon Snap stage with a billion Pogey Men hanging around the background. A "Dynamax Pokemon Stadium" with Pogey Men turning giant and beating each other up in the background like "GRAA HAHAHAHAHAHARRRRRRRRRRRRRR I'M GONNA BEAT YOU UP!" "NOOOOO DON'T DO IIIIIIIIIIIIIT DON'T HURT MEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

4. Doctor Eggman! A buncha Badniks aboard the Egg Carrier watching the battle to see how the Eggman does things! Orbot and Cubot are there too, but nobody cares about them. "HAHAHAHAHA! Watch as a REAL FIGHTER smashes Pikachu, and then CONQUER THE WORRRRRRRRRRLD!" Nobody will ever know Eggman killed Spongebob at a Burger King. Speaking of which...

5. The Burger King. The king of burgers himself. Several Burger King employees are in the background watching the Burger King beat the trash out of Luigi. Having restaurant employees in the background of a fighting game kinda makes one think of Variable Geo heh heh heh but no, this is the Burger King. He doesn't get to fight in the Variable Geo by Jahana Corporation. Burger King can be in Smash tho! Probably looking for Doctor Eggman to deliver justice for how he killed Spongebob at one of his restaurants.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I only hope that it gives off the same hype Cloud's reveal did. Seriously: HOW has nothing topped this yet?!
Insert the updated “Everyone is Here!” trailer that includes all of Ultimate’s newcomers and DLC, once it happens (it better happen)

And in terms of newcomers, there are quite a few trailers since Cloud that I’ve preferred. The reason none of them have surpassed the Cloud hype is because that is your personal preference, and that’s perfectly fine! Also Cloud’s trailer has that long, dramatic opening with the opening FF7 music and “Smash x Final Fantasy VII” before we even see who it is, which to my recollection, no other trailer has. That on its own makes it stand out, especially for fans of the character, which in turn amps up its “hypability” for those people.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

some ideas:

Octoling - comes with MC. Princess Diaries stage, Pearl and Marina are in the background in a helicopter, with Pearl being an interactive element once two minutes pass (the Princess Cannon, just like in Final Fest)

Reimu - Hakurei Shrine. Various Touhou characters appear

LoL rep - Summoner's Rift. Rift Herald and/or Baron Nashor appear

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This concept is pretty random since the games don't have much to do with each other, but now that you've informed me of it, I want it.

I'm curious to know what guest characters they have/had in mind aside from the obvious BlazBlue character(s) and/or perhaps a Persona character like Yu or Joker.

SKX31

Smash Master
Shooters are woefully underrepresented. We’ve got Dark Samus and I guess Duck Hunt.
Duck Hunt's a weird case since technically you could count it as an FPS, but it is part of the light gun genre first and foremost. That and your standard FPS have very different histories and did not interact much - since they were developed in completely different environments. The light gun game were descended from mechanical and electro-mechanical predecessors stretching back to the 19th century; while the FPS developed within the computer sphere and was descended from maze games in the beginning - there's a reason the original Wolfenstein and Doom have maze-like designs.

Movement is one of the key differentiating factors between the two, since light gun games don't neccessarily need a lot of movement, while FPSes (especially multiplayer ones, but also singleplayer ones) place a very high priority on movement, to the point where a prominent image of your CoD-like FPS is the "twitchy" movement with the mouse and the WASD keys.

Ah, yes

1980-2010s are out

But not 2020's awwww **** here comes Nahobino boys!
But wouldn't that mean that the 1970s are a-oka-

Pong's in baybee! :4pacman:

Huh, that's weird, how did I not realize this?
UK and Ireland, but that doesn't account for the other European (EU and Non-EU) countries where Dragalia's still not seen an official release. While I'm not a legal expert myself, I heavily suspect that the recent lootbox laws and investigations in various EU (and non-EU) countries are the primary reason why, especially since Nintendo did withdraw Pocket Camp and FEH from Belgian stores (where the most stringent lootbox law in the region has been passed and a Commission has been established to review games with lootboxes).

Dragalia you mean? Europe has a stringent anti-gambling law which I guess extends to gacha games like DL
It's a bit more complicated than that, but you're pretty damn close on the mark:

While the EU doesn't have an unified anti-gambling law, the organization nevertheless coordinates between different national efforts and has served as a forum for discussing those. While the Belgian example has not become the norm, it's worth noting that several European governments and groups within the EU have investigated the nature of lootboxes and whether or not they should be regulated. It's a bit complicated: I looked up the Swedish investigation - done by a government agency. While the result was not a definitive "change the laws right now" partly because of limited research surrounding lootboxes' effects, the agency's report nevertheless favored a strengthened regulation surrounding lootboxes that one pays for, looking over how the corps market their games, and including "this game contains lootboxes" notice on PEGI ratings. Especially since paid lootboxes can in some circumstances fall under the existing gambling law. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if legal changes actually happen in the future and corps will have to start asking for a license to operate games with paid lootboxes here.

And I only mentioned my native country here, the British, French and German counterparts have also conducted investigations AFAIK.

Still though, the dust is not settled here: the restrictions already in place and the investigations surrounding it all is probably a primary reason why Nintendo has not really dared to give Dragalia an official release in most European countries.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Duck Hunt's a weird case since technically you could count it as an FPS, but it is part of the light gun genre first and foremost. That and your standard FPS have very different histories and did not interact much - since they were developed in completely different environments. The light gun game were descended from mechanical and electro-mechanical predecessors stretching back to the 19th century; while the FPS developed within the computer sphere and was descended from maze games in the beginning - there's a reason the original Wolfenstein and Doom have maze-like designs.

Movement is one of the key differentiating factors between the two, since light gun games don't neccessarily need a lot of movement, while FPSes (especially multiplayer ones, but also singleplayer ones) place a very high priority on movement, to the point where a prominent image of your CoD-like FPS is the "twitchy" movement with the mouse and the WASD keys.

But wouldn't that mean that the 1970s are a-oka-

Pong's in baybee! :4pacman:

UK and Ireland, but that doesn't account for the other European (EU and Non-EU) countries where Dragalia's still not seen an official release. While I'm not a legal expert myself, I heavily suspect that the recent lootbox laws and investigations in various EU (and non-EU) countries are the primary reason why, especially since Nintendo did withdraw Pocket Camp and FEH from Belgian stores (where the most stringent lootbox law in the region has been passed and a Commission has been established to review games with lootboxes).

It's a bit more complicated than that, but you're pretty damn close on the mark:

While the EU doesn't have an unified anti-gambling law, the organization nevertheless coordinates between different national efforts and has served as a forum for discussing those. While the Belgian example has not become the norm, it's worth noting that several European governments and groups within the EU have investigated the nature of lootboxes and whether or not they should be regulated. It's a bit complicated: I looked up the Swedish investigation - done by a government agency. While the result was not a definitive "change the laws right now" partly because of limited research surrounding lootboxes' effects, the agency's report nevertheless favored a strengthened regulation surrounding lootboxes that one pays for, looking over how the corps market their games, and including "this game contains lootboxes" notice on PEGI ratings. Especially since paid lootboxes can in some circumstances fall under the existing gambling law. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if legal changes actually happen in the future and corps will have to start asking for a license to operate games with paid lootboxes here.

And I only mentioned my native country here, the British, French and German counterparts have also conducted investigations AFAIK.

Still though, the dust is not settled here: the restrictions already in place and the investigations surrounding it all is probably a primary reason why Nintendo has not really dared to give Dragalia an official release in most European countries.
Friendly reminder that there is an official Pong RPG.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
bugs me soo much that we don’t have an animal tournament. I dunno why but I just really want one and there’s like 15 animals in this game.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace

Don't forget Hero that has Slimes, Tockles, Cetacea, and Liquid Metal Slimes in the background; 3 on stage, and 1 outside of the stage.

I do have one idea

Doomslayer: UAC Facility. Some demons from the series appear in the background just walking by, looks at the stage for a few seconds, and then leave. My picks for demons to appear as background, Imp, Pinky, Revenant, Arachnotron, and Cacodemon.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman

Convergent evolution at its finest - two similar creatures that developed similar capabilities but share no common ancestor.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Don't forget Hero that has Slimes, Tockles, Cetacea, and Liquid Metal Slimes in the background; 3 on stage, and 1 outside of the stage.
I completely forgot hero has background characters. Darn that means the coincidence/theory doesn’t work. Unless you count min min having the arms characters appear on the tv screen in the background of her stage then this theory practically doesn’t work anymore. What a shame, I liked the idea I had.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
FP2 certainly has felt much more mainstream than FP1. Minecraft, Final Fantasy, and Tekken: these are all massive gaming IPs across the globe.

Meanwhile the closest thing FP1 has to that is obviously Hero, but even then Dragon Quest has the big asterisk in that it's only really a big deal in Japan and not abroad. Persona, Banjo-Kazooie and Fatal Fury are all obviously much smaller and appeal more to older dedicated gamers.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Maybe its because the last character is an animal and they are waiting for it to be released. :4pacman:
who knows, it’s anyone’s guess. Just bugs me that something so obvious hasn’t been done yet. There’s tons out there that we haven’t even got yet. Meanwhile the latest 2 tournaments were using a bumper and heading the opponent.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
FP2 certainly has felt much more mainstream than FP1. Minecraft, Final Fantasy, and Tekken: these are all massive gaming IPs across the globe.

Meanwhile the closest thing FP1 has to that is obviously Hero, but even then Dragon Quest has the big asterisk in that it's only really a big deal in Japan and not abroad. Persona, Banjo-Kazooie and Fatal Fury are all obviously much smaller and appeal more to older dedicated gamers.
True dis.
If CP11 is 3rd party it COULD be on a scale similar to Minecraft, Final Fantasy, or Tekken.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
True dis.
If CP11 is 3rd party it COULD be on a scale similar to Minecraft, Final Fantasy, or Tekken.
I... Kinda doubt it. For one, most japanese candidates on that level are either already in or have other forms of content (like RE and MH). Even series with great commercial success and historical importance like KH and Dark Souls are a step below something like Minecraft or Final Fantasy.

So not only would Nintendo be ending on a massive series for the first time, they'd also be ending on a western IP.

If it happened, great, but it would most definitely be a first.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Kazuya was pretty hype as he tossed folks into the volcano. But yeah cloud reveal set the bar for hypiest hype since hype came to hypetown.
I personally felt that Sephiroth's reveal was even more hype than Cloud's due to:

A) As much of a surprise longshot as Cloud was, Seph seemed even less likely to a lot of people (myself included)
B) Higher budget/better cutscene animations
C) The epic nod to Advent Children with the comedic Mario touch

Don't get me wrong, Cloud's reveal was hype AF and def a close second, but so far, I'd say Seph's was the best of all smash reveals thus far.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I... Kinda doubt it. For one, most japanese candidates on that level are either already in or have other forms of content (like RE and MH). Even series with great commercial success and historical importance like KH and Dark Souls are a step below something like Minecraft or Final Fantasy.

So not only would Nintendo be ending on a massive series for the first time, they'd also be ending on a western IP.

If it happened, great, but it would most definitely be a first.
oh for sure
That's exactly why I said "could".

I personally think it will be a game promotion pick. Either first party or third party. Based on what happened on both FP1 and the end of smash 4 DLC.

That's fair. I could see this possibility happen.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Still think it’s gonna be a new Japanese company or sega themselves. Every other Japanese third party company either has a rep In this pass or has had new mii costumes brought in during this pass which probably doesn’t deconfirm those companies but it probably hurts them because you’d think they’d leave them till their character was revealed.

Sega, koei tecmo or level 5 is who I’m sticking my money on being last but if I had to say who I think is likelier I’d put it In the order of (going from most likely to least likely

sega, koei tecmo, level 5

just my personal opinion though so don’t get offended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom